Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,715 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? (2259 Views)

Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms / American Company Sells Pork-laced Bullets To Fight Islamic Terrorists / Why Islam Prohibits You From Eating Pork ~ 15 Things You Should Know About Pigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by dm1(m): 7:53pm On Mar 03, 2009
WHY IS PORK FORBIDDEN IN ISLAM??
>
> Bob:  Tell me why is it that a Muslim is very particular
> about the words Halaal and Haraam; what do they mean?
>
> Yunus:  That which is permissible is termed Halaal and
> that which i not permissible is termed Haraam and it is the
> Quran which draws the distinction between the two.
>
> Bob:  Can you give me an example?
>
> Yunus:  Yes, Islam has prohibited the consumption of blood
> of any type.  You will agree that a chemical analysis of
> blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a
> chemical substance which can be injurious to human health.
>
> Bob:  You're right about the toxic nature of uric
> acid, in the human being it is excreted as a waste product
> and in fact we are told that 98% of the body's uric acid
> is extracted from the blood by the kidneys and removed
> through urination.
>
> Yunus:  Now I think that you'll appreciate the special
> prescribed method of animal slaughter in Islam.
>
> Bob:  What do you mean?
>
> Yunus:  You see, the wielder of the knife, whilst taking
> the name of the Almighty (SWT), makes an incision through
> the jugular veins, leaving all other veins and organs
> intact.
>
> Bob:  I see, this causes the death of the animal by a
> total loss of blood from the body, rather than an injury to
> any vital organ. "
>
> Yunus:  Yes, were the organs, example the heart, the
> liver, or the brain crippled or damaged, the animal could
> die immediately and its blood would congeal in its veins and
> would eventually permeate the flesh.
>
> This implies that the animal flesh would be permeated and
> contaminated with uric acid and therefore very poisonous;
> only today did our dietitians realize such a thing.
>
> Bob:  Again, while on the topic of food; Why do muslims
> condemn the eating of pork or ham or any foods related to
> pigs or swine.
>
> Yunus:  Actually, apart from the Quran prohibiting the
> consumption of pork,bacon (pig flesh); in fact the Bible too
> in Leviticus chapter 11,verse 8, regarding swine it says,
> "of their flesh (of the swine another name for
> pig)shall you not eat, and of their carcass you shall not
> touch; they are " unclean to you.""
>
> Further, did you know that a pig cannot be slaughtered at
> the neck for it does not have a neck; that is according to
> its natural anatomy. A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to
> be slaughtered and fit for human consumption the Creator
> would have provided it with a neck.
>
> Nonetheless, all that aside, I am sure you are well
> informed about the harmful effects of the
> consumption of pork, in any form, be it pork chops, ham,
> bacon.
>
> Bob:  The medical science finds that there is a risk for
> various diseases as the pig is found to be a host for many
> parasites and potential diseases.
>
> Yunus:  Yes, even apart from that, as we talked about uric
> acid content in the blood, it is important to note that the
> pig's biochemistry excretes only 2% of its total uric
> acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part
> of the body.
>
> Please forward to others, it may answer some of
> their questions especially when the children ask.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by rite2salas(m): 10:57pm On Mar 03, 2009
pork tastes nasty!
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by dmy(m): 12:17pm On Mar 05, 2009
Very interesting and enlighting.even as a muslim,i didnt know most of this
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by dmy(m): 12:19pm On Mar 05, 2009
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by Lagosboy: 12:25pm On Mar 05, 2009
same here mate , just learnt new things from this.

I dont even know how pork tastes.
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by bilms(m): 3:16pm On Mar 05, 2009
the reason is here

Pork
Human nature has always remained averse to eating beasts. No one generally
eats beasts who tear apart their prey either through their long canine teeth or
through their claws or both to eat their meat like lions, tigers, elephants and
vultures etc. Such animals were never liked by man for eating. On the other hand,
quadruped beasts like goats, cows and camels which graze on grass and do not
have large canine teeth or claws have always been relished by human nature. The
meat of such animals has always been eaten.

Consider now the pig. We know that besides tearing apart its prey to eat meat, it
also consumes plants and vegetables. In other words, since the pig simultaneously
belongs to both categories it would have been difficult for human beings to class
it in either. Its plant consumption nature could have impelled some to eat it while
beastly nature of tearing its prey could have dispelled some from eating it. So man
could have faltered in grouping it in either of the two categories. It is here that the
Almighty told us that carnivorous nature in which it tears apart its prey is
dominant over its herbivorous nature, and therefore it should be avoided.
Consequently, in the Old Testament, the prohibition of pork is mentioned in
words which subtly allude to this double nature of the animal:
The pig is also unclean; although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud.
You are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses. (Deuteronomy, 14:cool

cheers
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by dm1(m): 3:46pm On Mar 05, 2009
@bilms
Nice and enlightening contribution too. cheers
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by bilms(m): 4:34pm On Mar 05, 2009
u re welcome
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 05, 2009
dmy:

no it is a disgrace. to claim that blood uric acid is toxic is frankly absurd, several cultures drink animal blood and it hasnt killed them yet.
Centuries ago muslims wont eat blood, did they know anything about uric acid?

bilms:

Consequently, in the Old Testament, the prohibition of pork is mentioned in
words which subtly allude to this double nature of the animal:
The pig is also unclean; although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud.
You are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses. Deuteronomy, 14:8

A muslim tries to explain islam and of course rushes off to borrow bible verses. How deluded can these people get?
The same bible they claim is corrupted by the pen of scribes?
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by dm1(m): 6:05pm On Mar 05, 2009
What point are u trying to ague here?

Only God knows why he forbids human from taking blood because his the all knowing. But he had set knowledge as blessing for mankind and he that seek shall find. Scientific discoveries are still being made each day but is not because they do not exist but because of people seeking for answers to why and how such and such was so. I will tell you most scientific discoveries have explation in either Quran or Bible.

About Muslim citing the bible is not a new thing because on most occations we try to show that it is not only Islam that prohibits certain things but same in christanity but christians just go about blaming islam for being a harsh religion where as similar doctering applies in christanity. for you information muslim believe in the message of Jesus christ and we have similar stories in the Quran as in the Bible and thats why I make an effort to read the bible just to familiarise myself with its teachings. Your should also try to seek knowledge of the Quran and know what it says before u come here and start throwing your hatred. Thats why for us to understand each other, comparative religion is always very important. This has been successful in many countries including uk where I live but with nigerians its always a problem. Funny enough some of this nigerians dont even know the bible that well.
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 05, 2009
d_m:

About Muslim citing the bible is not a new thing

we know its not a new thing. Mooslims cant do without the bible because their own quran is nothing but unintelligible gibberish.

d_m:

for you information muslim believe in the message of Jesus christ

This IS the message of Jesus Christ - John 3: 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God

Do you believe it?

d_m:

and we have similar stories in the Quran as in the Bible

simply because the quran copied from the bible.

1. the bible existed centuries and in some cases thousands of yrs before the quran.
2. The quran does NOT in anyway represent eyewitness accounts. where did it get its "similar stories" from? Pls dont tell us "revelation". We've had enough of lies.

d_m:

and thats why I make an effort to read the bible just to familiarise myself with its teachings.

spend more time familiarising urself with the quran you hypocrite. You cant claim the bible is corrupt and then be familiarising urself with its stories.
Could it be you read the bible because the quran contains very poor excerpts of biblical stories that you need to ferret the bible to perfectly understand?

d_m:

Your should also try to seek knowledge of the Quran

There is no knowledge in the quran to be sought. Why read the quran when muslims themselves need to read the bible to understand the myriad of stories in the quran?

d_m:

and know what it says before u come here and start throwing your hatred.

typical. Call them out on the fraudulent quran and they start crying about "hatred".

d_m:

Thats why for us to understand each other, comparative religion is always very important.

We dont need comparative religion, its the ploy of the devil to insidously destroy christianity and supplant it with islam all under the cloak of "understanding".

d_m:

This has been successful in many countries including uk where I live but with nigerians its always a problem. Funny enough some of this nigerians dont even know the bible that well.

What a joke. Islam is becoming a problem for the UK.
Why hasnt comparative religion become a success in Saudi Arabia?
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by No2Atheism(m): 8:19pm On Mar 05, 2009

, lol lol. , grin grin grin, Good Question!
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2009
No2Atheism:

dont mind the hypocritical fools.

Note ALL their examples of countries were "comparative religion" has become a "success" are predominantly christian nations. When they say "success" what they really mean is that islam has been able to gain a foothold and flourish under the very democracy they despise in their own desert enclaves.
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by morpheus24: 10:38pm On Mar 05, 2009
The papau new guineans depend on the "Pig" as a signifcant source of their protein diet. Without it I don't think their kind would have survived to date.

It is evident that the lack of these essential proteins and even other nutrients which they find hard to come by have contributed to their morphology i.e stunted growth, skinny pyshic, women have small dried up breasts.

Though many cultures have detested this beast as an unnatural source of food, others without choice have depended on it for their SURVIVAL.

In other words if I have to eat it I would, otherwise it is not the best tasting of all meats.

My 2 cents.
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by bawomolo(m): 11:57pm On Mar 05, 2009
no it is a disgrace. to claim that blood uric acid is toxic is frankly absurd, several cultures drink animal blood and it hasnt killed them yet.

don't mind them, the massai should have died off by now. A likely reason for banning the eating of pigs is that early humans didn't have means of preparing them properly to avoid disease.
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by bilms(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2009
May the peace and blessing of the almighty Allah be upon u all.

i am here to answer ur questions one after the other.

davidylan:

we know its not a new thing. Mooslims cant do without the bible because their own quran is nothing but unintelligible gibberish.

oh mr. the Qur'an is not unintelelligible as u said. but a book that contain devine guidance. the qur'an is the work of God and has been preserved by him. b4 the existance of the qur'an, that was when we have the bible. it was the almighty who sent jesus and gave him the bible as guidance and that is why when we quote the Qur'an, we have some refernce from the bible too. even if bible have been alter but yet some part of it still remian a refernce to authenticate the accuracy and the truth of the qur'an.

This IS the message of Jesus Christ - John 3: 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God

yes. u re right abt it. but what u are ignorant abt if far much what u understand.

jesus was sent to the jew. and as at then, he was the saviour and who ever follow him and be born again will see the kingdom of God. b4 jesus, we have amny other [prophets too and during there time, those that do not follow them will never see the kingdom of God. during jesus time, anybody claiming he follow moses is on the wrong part because a superior message has been sent with jesus.

the same applies to we in the time of the last prophet, who ever, i mean who ever denied the prophethood of Mohammed is heading to the wrong part.

and that is why Allah said. finally.

Conclusively, the religion that directly come from ur God to u is Islam. and who ever disbelieve in it and practice any other religion except islam.
that religion will be rejected. and in the day of jurgement such person will be among those that will perish.

Do you believe it?
so believing in that is not meant for us in this generation.

1. the bible existed centuries and in some cases thousands of yrs before the quran.
2. The quran does NOT in anyway represent eyewitness accounts. where did it get its "similar stories" from? Pls dont tell us "revelation". We've had enough of lies.

The almighty Allah sent jesus with it and not jesus alone but other prophets like him.Almighty Allah educate Prophet mohammed about the past. quoting from his previous messges. so claming that the Qur'an was copied from the bible is just the smae as saying the bible was copied from the old testament.

so the qur'an was not copied, but contain more detailed information which the bible and other books do not contain.

spend more time familiarising urself with the quran you hypocrite. You cant claim the bible is corrupt and then be familiarising urself with its stories.
Could it be you read the bible because the quran contains very poor excerpts of biblical stories that you need to ferret the bible to perfectly understand?

answer
We read the Qur;an every day. we pray five times a day and we use the qur'an. even if the bible is corrupt, but it still contain some little un altered truth which we use to convey the truth to u. we give u evidence from our Qur'an and for authentification. we still bring the same out from ur own bible.

that means u are ingorant about ur own book.

if u want to knwo how experts and authentic the Qur'an is, plz ask a question either from qur'an or other book and u will get ur answer from devine revelation which is the Qur'an.

we only refer to the bible most time since that is what u beleived in. if we quote the qur'an, u might say that is the Qur'an. but when i quote ur own bible to u and still convey the truth message. then u need to re-think and seek for the truth with ur heart open.

There is no knowledge in the quran to be sought. Why read the quran when muslims themselves need to read the bible to understand the myriad of stories in the quran?

we dont need to read the bible to understand the Qur'an. but we sort for refernce to get convinced that surely the Qur'an is the right religon. which we did. and if u dispute me.

plz come up with ur better way to expalain all these from ur own book. or anyother.
typical. Call them out on the fraudulent quran and they start crying about "hatred".

not hatred. but u are shying away from the truth. u dont have any genuine evodence to prove ur despute, but say wht u like.

so it hurts to see u are on the wrong path. May Allah guide u to the right path. u dont need to say amen because i just did for u. (Ameen)

We dont need comparative religion, its the ploy of the devil to insidously destroy christianity and supplant it with islam all under the cloak of "understanding".

If u are saying the truth, plz explain and if truely christianity is the right path we will see. i have what it takes to convey the truth to u. but allah only put who he likes to the right path.

What a joke. Islam is becoming a problem for the UK. how plz?
Why hasnt comparative religion become a success in Saudi Arabia? it has become huge sucesss because many who are behind the light saw the truth and they changed.

i have answred all ur question.

if u have more plz dont esitate to ask.

May the almighty Guide and protect u.

No2Atheism link=topic=242149.msg3551695#msg3551695 date=1236280768:

now u got the answer.

davidylan:

dont mind the hypocritical fools.

Note ALL their examples of countries were "comparative religion" has become a "success" are predominantly christian nations. When they say "success" what they really mean is that islam has been able to gain a foothold and flourish under the very democracy they despise in their own desert enclaves.

about ur post, this is ur response., islam was gained groud from God mercy. and not from democracy or what u call. we have been in power ever b4 democracy. and we will continue to spread the truth. nothing but the truth. we will continue to be in power till the last day where we all wil stand b4 God. and then guess what?

We will also be the happy people b4 God.

why dont u seek for the truth with ur open heart instead of shying away.

if a muslim person commit a crime, it doesnot matter. and that those not concern his religion. every one will be responsible for his or her wrong did.

Islam preaches peace. and if i, u, or anybody did not get the message right, we are to be responsible for it. and when we get the message wrong or understanding it in the opposite way. we are to face the consiquencies of our did.

so get the religion right and stop saying negative thing abt us.

May the almighty bless and guide u too.

morpheus24:

The papau new guineans depend on the "Pig" as a signifcant source of their protein diet. Without it I don't think their kind would have survived to date.

It is evident that the lack of these essential proteins and even other nutrients which they find hard to come by have contributed to their morphology i.e stunted growth, skinny pyshic, women have small dried up breasts.

Though many cultures have detested this beast as an unnatural source of food, others without choice have depended on it for their SURVIVAL.

In other words if I have to eat it I would, otherwise it is not the best tasting of all meats.

My 2 cents.

My brother. no food is forbiden by Qur'an except that is unclean.

The objective of Islam is to purify all aspects of human life and soul. It
therefore insists that besides cleansing the inner self from contamination, care
must be exercised in the intake of food and drinks. Only the clean and pure among
them should be eaten and drunk. While answering a question in the Qur’a#n
regarding animals tamed for hunting, the Almighty has spelled out this general
principle in the words: ‘ all pure things are lawful to you), (4:5).
As an obvious corollary, all impure things are forbidden to the believers. While
inviting the Jews and Christians to profess faith in Muhammad (sws), the
Almighty has referred to the extremist attitude they had adopted with regard to
food and drinks in the following words:

And he allows them as lawful what is good [and pure] and prohibits them
from what is bad [and impure]; he releases them from their heavy burdens
and from the yokes that were upon them. (7:157).

so take note and may Allah help u.
bawomolo:

don't mind them, the massai should have died off by now. A likely reason for banning the eating of pigs is that early humans didn't have means of preparing them properly to avoid disease.

i have answred ur question.

all ur question and arguement has been cleared.

plz i mean no insult to any one. although some of my word might sound offensive, but am sorry for that.

May Allah guide and protect u.

cheers.
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by dm1(m): 4:50pm On Mar 06, 2009
@Bilms
Thank you brother may Allah bless your effort.

Most at times when muslims talk about a ruling in islam, the christians take it as though it is only islam that forbids such. But quoting them their own holy book should put them to silence which is why we quote the bible. for example someone was aguing with me that pork is allowed in christainity and i said no. so I forwarded the above piece he became enlightened and confess to me that he didnt know that. i was not at all mad with him because i knew its ignorance for him and but for some they just want to deny what is in the bible in order to live their lives the way they want. You see today so many acts that are forbidden in the bible are the way of life of today's christians world wide and they do them without even acknowledging they are not right but rather as a legal way of life. Sometimes you wonder if they ever use the bible in their churches anymore. This is not to say they are not good christians around just like you have bad eggs in islam but atleast whatever happens the muslims still acknowledge what is wrong from right and christians just go about as if its normal.
May God help us all. ameen
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by alimat2(f): 5:29pm On Dec 10, 2009
The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus"And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you"."Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you." [Leviticus 11:7-8] similar prohibition, is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.
Re: Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
davidylan:

Do you believe it?

...................dumbAss

(1) (Reply)

Unbelievable! Mohammed Saw Jesus / Juju And Islam / Aisha (RA) Married The Prophet (PBUH) At Age Nine. So What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.