Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail (38556 Views)

Yahoo Boy Sentenced To 6 Years In Jail For N7.8m Love Scam / Benue: Four-year-old Boy Rescued From Kidnappers After 10 Months (PIX) / Nigerian Dad Beats Son To Death In Dubai, To Be Deported After 10-Year Jail Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by blacq2009(m): 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2015
WarRLaY:
But, why u no tell us wetin carry you go prison, deathrow for that matter ... oya write another essay
Exactly my mind
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2015
MKO4ever:

Guy you should be a CID ooo shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

nah so boss

fake niggahx everywhere
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Nelrulez(m): 7:57pm On Jul 03, 2015
I believe everything this man said because I once had same experience years back only that I was fortunate to escape death sentence by whiskers.. Anytime I reminisce on what I went through in the hands of the so called police men before I was fortunate to be sent to the prison yard, all I do is just to raise my hands to the sky and say thank you Lord for sparing my life.. It's no longer relevant because I made it out of prison alive and here I am living my dreams to the fullest.
DaPhilosopher:
When I called my mother from prison to tell her I’d been pardoned after 10 years in jail, she fainted.

I was told they had to pour water on her to revive her. Later, when she saw me for the first time after all those years in jail, she grabbed me and held me so tight. She wouldn’t let go for almost 15 minutes. The whole time she had tears of joy streaming from her eyes.

Football and juice: celebrating with my death row friends

I was also overwhelmed with joy when I found out about my pardon, at 4pm on 28 May. Initially I couldn’t even speak, I was so happy.

The day after hearing the news, I celebrated in prison by organising a football match between death row inmates and other prison inmates. I’d been the death row team football coach during my time in prison. We won the match 3-0! Everyone was so happy to play.

That Sunday I went to the prison church. I bought some biscuits and fruit juice to share with other inmates in church and an announcement was made that I was being released. Everyone was happy. I had friends in prison; I had been teaching English and Maths to fellow inmates and those students who were keen became my friends.

I was released a few days later. That first evening at home, my mother prepared a special dish – Okro soup with beef. The whole family ate together at the dining table. Afterwards, there was a party with family friends and we sang songs, played music and prayed.

We prayed for all the activists who campaigned for my release, those from Amnesty international and Justine Ijeomah [the Director of HURSDEF, Nigeria’s Human Rights Social Development and Environmental Foundation] and his wife, Goodness Justine. Drinks were shared around with everyone at the party.

The sleep of the free

The first night I slept in my new bed, I slept so well. What struck me most was that at 5am, I did not hear the prison wake-up bell. I waited for it, and then realised that it was not a dream, but in fact I really am free.

When I realised that, I felt freedom deep in my spirit. Things had changed for good. I went back to sleep and slept until 10am, fully enjoying my ‘freedom sleep’. My family came to wake me up but I told them to let me sleep longer. It was such a good sleep.

In those first days of freedom I bumped into an old school friend and he looked at me like he’d seen a ghost.

We have a local belief that if you pour sand on a spirit it will vanish, and he started to pick up sand from the ground and pour it on my body! I told him – ‘don’t pour sand on me, I’m alive, I’m not a ghost!’ At that, he touched me and hugged me: he thought I had been executed.

He told me he would never forget the last time he saw me before my arrest 10 years ago.

At home, everything felt strange to me, even though I’m so relieved to be free. Lots of things have changed in the 10 years since I was arrested: new bridges have been built and the use of laptop computers and phones is common now.

People keep asking me ‘What happened to your finger?

[After I was arrested] my fingernails and toenails were pulled out. The scars people see are the lasting marks that torture has left me with. When I wear sandals, seeing my toes reminds me of what I went through.

Torture affects people in so many ways. It’s inhuman: heating cutlasses on a fire and then flogging a person’s back is barbaric. It affects people mentally: it causes madness. They pass out because of the pain and admit to things they never did.

What I went through – the torture and being on death row – affected me in so many ways. It affected my plans for life and my ambitions at school. I spent ten years in jail. By now I could have finished school and have started working.

What struck me most is that you can live in a country where you can face so much tragedy for no reason, and yet still have to live there. I will always pray for change in Nigeria, but I advise others living here to be very careful, so that they will not fall victim to what I went through.

I’m joining the fight against torture

My plans now I’m free are to continue my education and get as far as I always dreamt – I want to be a doctor to fulfill my late father’s wishes.

But I’ll also be a human rights activist and help others who face the same challenges that I did. I have already filled out an application form and had a passport photo taken – the requirements for becoming a volunteer activist with HURSDEF.

The Director, Justine, welcomed me warmly as ‘Comrade Moses Akatugba’. I told him: Justine, I’m joining the fight against torture so that others will not go through the pain that I did.

If I have my way, and can stop torture, I will be the happiest man on earth. I don’t want any future generation to go through what I went through in that torture chamber.

Moses Akatugba was tortured to confess to a crime he says he never committed. His ‘confession’ was then used to sentence him to death.

On 28 May 2015, Moses was pardoned after nearly 10 years in jail. Over 800,000 of you around the world took action demanding justice

Moses Akatugba was tortured to confess to a crime he says he never committed. His ‘confession’ was then used to sentence him to death.

On 28 May 2015, Moses was pardoned after nearly 10 years in jail. Over 800,000 of you around the world took action demanding justice

http://vibes247.com/my-first-week-of-freedom-after-10-years-in-a-nigerian-jail/
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Jaypea98: 8:23pm On Jul 03, 2015
phayvoursky:
I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE. BUT IF IT'S TRUE PRAISE BE TO GOD.

NIGERIAN PRISONS DE RELEASE PERSON ON DEATH ROW

WE DON DE GATHER SENSE

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

*WHAT TOOK YOU TO PRISON?

*IF THAT'S YOUR PIC AND YOU SPENT TEN YEARS IN PRISON; HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU GOT IN?

*YOU THOUGHT ENGLISH AND MATHS IN PRISON; WERE YOU THAT EDUCATED TO COMMIT A CRIME TO BE SENTENCED TO DEATH?
AGE 16 Was sentenced to death for purported armed robbery
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by sule5727: 8:29pm On Jul 03, 2015
WarRLaY:
But, why u no tell us wetin carry you go prison, deathrow for that matter ... oya write another essay
abi o somebody can not sit in is house and been arrested without committing any crime!!!! He should come out and tell us what actually happen!!!
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Olayinkaoj(m): 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by jstbeinhonest(m): 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
So moses akatugba is free! Praise God.I can remember protests were held in the u.k for his release.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Jaypea98: 8:36pm On Jul 03, 2015
sukkot:
this nigga look too fresh for someone who was in naija jail and had his finger and toe nails pulled out and beaten with hot cutlass. i call bullsheet on the story
its all true bro google his name thanks to people around the world and amnesty international he z free
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by donemitex1: 8:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
Hahahahahaha Guy you are a clown
BabyDaddy20:
When you're locked up in a cell with hundreds of other guys for 10 good years without a source of pusssy to cure konji.

I'm sorry for your nyash.
Your ass is no more a private part, it is now a local government
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by sukkot: 8:42pm On Jul 03, 2015
Jaypea98:

its all true bro google his name thanks to people around the world and amnesty international he z free
whats his name. let me google it. oh never mind. i found the name
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by otiigba1(m): 8:49pm On Jul 03, 2015
Hope you have learnt your lesson
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Oduduwaboy(m): 8:52pm On Jul 03, 2015
DONMAYOR19:
10 years? Thank God u free now bro, meanwhile when u were in prison, a lot has occur in Nigeria that I can't start to mention for now, but the most recent one is that germany is now West germany, and their president name is president michelle, again the most important name is that nigeria president real name is dullardinh0. U free to pm me for more about that name.
hmmm...your mumu will soon kill you!
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by 0micheal735: 8:53pm On Jul 03, 2015
sule5727:
abi o somebody can not sit in is house and been arrested without committing any crime!!!! He should come out and tell us what actually happen!!!

Tortured into a ‘confession’
16-year-old Moses Akatugba was awaiting the
results of his secondary school exams when his
life changed forever.
He was arrested by the Nigerian army and, he
says, shot in the hand, beaten on the head and
back, and then charged with stealing mobile
phones.
He was initially held at the local army barracks
where, he says, soldiers showed him a corpse. He
couldn’t identify the dead man, so they beat him.
After being transferred to Epkan police station in
Delta State, Moses was tortured again. He said
that the police beat him severely with machetes
and batons, tied him up and hung him for several
hours in interrogation rooms, and used pliers to
pull out his finger and toe nails to force him to
sign two ‘confessions’ – which formed the sole
basis of his conviction.
‘The pain of torture is unbearable. I never
thought I would be alive till this day. The pain I
went through in the hands of the officers was
unimaginable. In my whole life, I have never been
subjected to such inhuman treatment,’
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Jaypea98: 8:56pm On Jul 03, 2015
sukkot:
this nigga look too fresh for someone who was in naija jail and had his finger and toe nails pulled out and beaten with hot cutlass. i call bullsheet on the story
its all true bro google his name thanks to people around the world and amnesty international he z free....

1 Like

Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by frisky2good(m): 9:03pm On Jul 03, 2015
No be the guy wey dem say tif tiri mobile fones be dis? A useless judge now sentenced him to death.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by sule5727: 9:05pm On Jul 03, 2015
0micheal735:

Tortured into a ‘confession’
16-year-old Moses Akatugba was awaiting the
results of his secondary school exams when his
life changed forever.
He was arrested by the Nigerian army and, he
says, shot in the hand, beaten on the head and
back, and then charged with stealing mobile
phones.
He was initially held at the local army barracks
where, he says, soldiers showed him a corpse. He
couldn’t identify the dead man, so they beat him.
After being transferred to Epkan police station in
Delta State, Moses was tortured again. He said
that the police beat him severely with machetes
and batons, tied him up and hung him for several
hours in interrogation rooms, and used pliers to
pull out his finger and toe nails to force him to
sign two ‘confessions’ – which formed the sole
basis of his conviction.
‘The pain of torture is unbearable. I never
thought I would be alive till this day. The pain I
went through in the hands of the officers was
unimaginable. In my whole life, I have never been
subjected to such inhuman treatment,’

so sad sorry dear!!! Nobody on dis earth can console u it is only our creator who can do dat,and he make sure ur dream in life come true! chai dnt really no what to even tell say nw so sorry!!!
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Blakjewelry(m): 9:10pm On Jul 03, 2015
I know this boy, such a promising boy
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by mannyiyke: 9:15pm On Jul 03, 2015
WarRLaY:
He was 16 years when he was caught on suspicion of armed robbery on November, 2005 and was subsequently sentenced to death by hanging after obtaining forced confessions from him by severe beating, use of hot cutlass to beat him on d back as well as tying and hanging him on ceiling for hours with severe torture. He was granted pardon by Dr Uduagan, d Fmr Delta State Governor on 28th May, 2015:
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by ubizle(f): 9:19pm On Jul 03, 2015
Na wa o. God abeg o, no allow me dey wia i no supose dey , go cari wetin I no knw 4 my head o.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by mannyiyke: 9:23pm On Jul 03, 2015
Swaggzkid:
This one goes to the person that commented second on the thread. »»»»The guy in question is educated, why I say so is from his write up.

Op are you sure that you were not guilty? And maybe while serving your prison terms you regretted and repented? And am sure that not you in the pics you posted.

And you can't tell us clearly what took you there, and I and other NL's would love to also see the marks of the torture and you toe nails you said were pulled off. I hope am not asking for too much.

Sorry for what you went through. But if am a movie producer I would have used your story to produce a blockbuster!.. grin grin
He is d one in d pix. He is 26 yrs now. He was 16 when he was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery on November, 2005 and subsequently sentenced to death by hanging:
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by stuff46(m): 9:25pm On Jul 03, 2015
Good God.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by TolaniLuv: 9:46pm On Jul 03, 2015
fabiano09:

why do pple talk lyk illiterates??

Because she's one of em
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by TolaniLuv: 9:48pm On Jul 03, 2015
sweatlana:
Everyone is congratulating him. May I remind u that this man was convicted for a capital offence. He most likely killed someone!

If he was innocent he would have said so!

No sympathy from me.

Read the article and use your common sense.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Victorjoseph(m): 10:02pm On Jul 03, 2015
Pls op:::we would really love to know what crime u did commit that took u to d prison::or u just formulated a writeup to gain attention? But come to think of it,hw can someone come to the social network nd startin tellin people all what he claimed he passed through while he did nt at all:::: pls op reply::::u started it finish it::::we are all ears
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Victorjoseph(m): 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2015
Op bring us down;;;;we really wan know wetin carry u go jail for ten good years::::::haba
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Victorjoseph(m): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2015
mannyiyke:
He is d one in d pix. He is 26 yrs now. He was 16 when he was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery on November, 2005 and subsequently sentenced to death by hanging:
sorry are u one of his relation?
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by mekonglobal(m): 10:47pm On Jul 03, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
When you're locked up in a cell with hundreds of other guys for 10 good years without a source of pusssy to cure konji.

I'm sorry for your nyash.
Your ass is no more a private part, it is now a local government

BUHAHAHAHAHA, COOLING D TENSION!!!
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by lusciouslex: 11:34pm On Jul 03, 2015
I learned reading books and exercise helps to pass time and heal wounds in the Pen. I believe you are a changed person and have acquired skills that would sustain an 'ex-con' for the white collar dudes won't be hiring. The secret of growing up to become what you were destined to be in life is staying out of prison...culled from Drake's verse in Meek Mill's track-Amen.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by codedruns: 11:38pm On Jul 03, 2015
unfortunately....many didnt read the article before commenting! Wanna hide anything from a blackman? Put it in a book!
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Geedhey(m): 11:40pm On Jul 03, 2015
guys can Google his name. I guess would find relevant information about what took him to prison
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by MurderX: 11:53pm On Jul 03, 2015
The teenager’s nightmare began in November 2005 when he was arrested by the Nigerian army and charged with stealing the phones and other items.

The promising student, who was hoping to study medicine at university, had his whole world turned upside down when he was handed over to police.

He told human rights’ activists that he was shot in the hand and beaten by soldiers before being taken to an army barracks, and shown the body of a dead man.

But when he was unable to identify who it was, he was beaten again.

The teenager was not allowed to call a lawyer or even his own mother and for 24 hours no-one knew where he was.

But his nightmare continued after he was moved to Ekpan police station in Delta State where he claims he was beaten again, this time with machetes and batons.

He said he was also tied and hanged upside down for several hours and pliers were used to pull out both his fingernails and toe nails before signing two confessions written by police.

The then teen was convicted on those alone which he said he only signed to stop the torture and was tried for armed robbery.
Re: My First Week Of Freedom After 10 Years In A Nigerian Jail by Superman11(m): 11:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
Ewizard:
na essay competition??

my brother i nor know ooh. this one be like super story

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ritualists Murder Man In Mansa, Zambia. Graphic Photos / Armed Robbers Who Robbed Woman Say Her In-law Informed Them She Had Money (Pix) / Prostitute Shows Off Goodluck And 'Back To Sender' Charms After Her Arrest.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.