Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers (26652 Views)

Johnspeak Uwangue: 4 Business Lessons I Learnt From A Physically Challenged Man / 5 Lessons I Have Learnt From Earning Over N6 Million On Fiverr / 5 Important Factors You Should Consider Before Starting Any Online Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Monikween(f): 7:26pm On Jul 03, 2015
dboss444:
@majamajic imagine a conductor with suit and tie shouting oshodi in british tone, shey fear no go catch u 2 enta d bus?. I blif there is a dress code for evry profession. For a conductor u gats look street oh, if nt guys go wann u. Dat conductor is right in a way
u don't wear a suit nd tie to work everyday I guess... dressing well for a conductor consists of at least a top nd trousers.. shoes for d business nd ur good... not singlet nd trousers without belt nd I can half of him...ehem...

1 Like

Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Monikween(f): 7:27pm On Jul 03, 2015
dboss444:
@majamajic imagine a conductor with suit and tie shouting oshodi in british tone, shey fear no go catch u 2 enta d bus?. I blif there is a dress code for evry profession. For a conductor u gats look street oh, if nt guys go wann u. Dat conductor is right in a way
u don't wear a suit nd tie to work everyday I guess... dressing well for a conductor consists of at least a top nd trousers.. shoes for d business nd ur good... not singlet nd trousers without belt nd I can see half of his.....ehem...
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Jobabori(m): 7:37pm On Jul 03, 2015
This is creativity at its best. OP more grese to your elbow.
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Jobyruz(m): 7:39pm On Jul 03, 2015
denkyw:
6. they give you real CHANGE and not the kind of ONE CHANCE CHANGE one dullard from daura gives.
you are very stupid and lack respect for an elderly one,whosoever brought you up did a very bad job
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 03, 2015
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 03, 2015
Monikween:
u don't wear a suit nd tie to work everyday I guess... dressing well for a conductor consists of at least a top nd trousers.. shoes for d business nd ur good... not singlet nd trousers without belt nd I can see half of his.....ehem...
complete ur statement or get sued
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by bosunjohns(m): 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2015
liveyourlife:

Lagos is famous for many things –for the round-the-clock hustle, whether white collar or redeye, for its crazy traffic and bustling night life,
among other things. One thing that it is arguably most famous for is its flag –the bright yellow metal flag, sitting on four tyres, snaking through
traffic and not forgetting to scratch any vehicle in its path; The Danfo buses.

They are furious, not necessarily fast, but furious, every single time. You see the road to your destination, they see Fury Road.

What you see Vs. What they are

They have only one mood –rage. Road rage. But if you look past their almost non-existent customer care, there are a few business lessons you can learn connecting buses in Lagos.

A conversation about Danfo happened with Goodman and this happened.

1. If you want to be heard, you’d have to make noise, a lot of it

Forget the playboy logo on the door, this guy is not playing Danfo conductors understand this. It’s why the conductors with their husky voices still manage to create a cadence for the routes they are screaming. Sometimes you can’t even make out the words the conductor is saying but you know the route. They even get so persistent and annoying that if you were thinking about changing your mind, you’d be bullied into entering the bus, psychologically of course. You surrender.

That’s Marketing.

Persistence is key in keeping your hustle relevant. Stay rubbing it in people’s face, but politely please. You’ll be better off remembered for rubbing it in people’s faces than not being remembered at all.

2. Branding is not overrated

A lot of the time, better dressed drivers and conductors get addressed more politely by passengers than their singlet-wearing or bare-chested colleagues. It’s for one reason –packaging. Facts only.

“The difference between kpekere and plantain chips is packaging”. That’s a legit contemporary proverb. I mean, looking at where BRT buses are
now, there’s only one reason we aren’t calling them Molue yet – packaging. And branding too.

Your client’s perception of you is very important. You visit five bars. Four tell you they are Bartenders. One says he’s a Mixiologist. Tell me,
who are you going to remember tomorrow?

I mean

3. There’s always a new way to get to the next bus stop

LOL.

Whether they have to climb culverts, or take the BRT lane, or pass secret streets even Google Maps can’t find, Danfo drivers are willing to get to their destinations by any means necessary (Do not try this in the presence of LASTMA).
They are never satisfied with sitting in one spot in traffic. Never.

That’s being open to new innovative ways of doing stuff. Deep down, we love the driver that’ll get to our bus stops the quickest.

Same with the people we hire. We hate it when our tailor says “there was no light, that’s why I didn’t sew the cloth you dropped for two
weeks for the wedding you have tomorrow.”

Dear Tailor, ever heard of generators?

4. The Danfo Team hate it, but they pay their dues, everyday.

At every bus stop, there’s an angry looking man waiting to collect a ‘tax’ from bus. The drivers pay it grudgingly, every single time. It saves time, and maybe the losses that come with a revolt, like a missing side mirror, or shattered windscreen, or a black eye.

You need to understand that sacrifices will be made. Never forget.

5. Lastly,

Look outside on your way back home. You’ll see a conductor hanging to the bus. Whether the driver is going fast or slow, whether it’s a smooth road or it has Super Mario type of ditches, he holds on tightly. That’s because his dinner, and even more, his life depends on it.

Businessmen and jobseekers, Hold on tight to your hustle.

The post appeared first on Fu’ad Lawal’s Medium page. You can follow him on
Twitter @RebelliousXIV .

Source: http://techcabal.com/2015/07/02/5-lessons-the-danfo-team-will-teach-you-about-business/
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 03, 2015
Jobyruz:
you are very stupid and lack respect for an elderly one,whosoever brought you up did a very bad job
shut up, is your elderly father a dullard from daura, did I call any body's name, why attack me?
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Fem60(m): 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2015
Make $50 Daily on FIVERR without Doing Nothing. You don't need to be master on any Thing before you can make money on fiverr. I will teach you how you can get the work done and make your money without spend 5 minute. Check here: www.nairaland.com/2361224/hurry-now-fiverr-online-2weeks
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by chukstino: 9:06pm On Jul 03, 2015
Nice,,,, big tip for people like me...
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Jobyruz(m): 9:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
denkyw:
shut up, is your elderly father a dullard from daura, did I call any body's name, why attack me?
no comment.u just proved me right
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 03, 2015
HungerBAD:
Nice write up. You just humanized the Danfo Drivers and Conductors, they are humans too and deserve our respect.
Respect is reciprocal.Does bus conductors respect their passengers? If a passenger tries to negotiate price with them before he enters the bus,he will abuse the passenger with a Yoruba language.Ko oshi lo jare.
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2015
Jobyruz:
Did you respect jonathan when he was the president?
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Oluwawapelumi(m): 9:54pm On Jul 03, 2015
What would you write if you own a car?
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by basille(m): 10:14pm On Jul 03, 2015
I like this.
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
Jobyruz:
no comment.u just proved me right
4k off
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by mployer(m): 10:34pm On Jul 03, 2015
UjSizzle:
kiss Beautiful. There's always a lesson to be learned from conventional things we see everyday.

I confess at being thrilled everytime a driver veers off to the brt lane and speeds like the devil's on his tail grin

lol@ the bolded grin

kiss kiss
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by phil6262(m): 12:10am On Jul 04, 2015
Beautiful post! Very instructive!
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Monikween(f): 12:38am On Jul 04, 2015
youngdude1:
complete ur statement or get sued
By?
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by JayJustus(m): 3:45am On Jul 04, 2015
they also taught me at 17 years how to drive like a lunatic fringe... thank you danfo now I can compete in the F1
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 5:12am On Jul 04, 2015
As a taxi driver i have always wished that passengers will come to a relative understanding of we commercial drivers rather than the hypocritcal sentiments. Op, i love this and i see you are large hearted. Thanks
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by tdayof(m): 5:59am On Jul 04, 2015
JayJustus:
they also taught me at 17 years how to drive like a lunatic fringe... thank you danfo now I can compete in the F1
mr man this is not asphalt 7 you play on your device. Go and sit down angry angry
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 04, 2015
Monikween:
By?
the Chief Justice of the Federal Republic of Nairaland.
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by janco: 10:08am On Jul 04, 2015
This is one of the best management training received in a long while.
Pls contact me....
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by JayJustus(m): 10:36am On Jul 04, 2015
tdayof:
mr man this is not asphalt 7 you play on your device. Go and sit down angry angry

gerrarahere mehn sh..it...
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by Monikween(f): 12:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
youngdude1:
the Chief Justice of the Federal Republic of Nairaland.
.He should go nd sleep jo
Re: 5 Important Business Lessons I Learnt From Lagos Danfo Drivers by doris4angel: 9:35am On Sep 14, 2017
Nice and inspiring

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World's 100 Richest Men. I Call The Ladies Men / NLC Strike! Long Queues At Atms As Customers Make Panic Withdrawals / Persistent Queue At ATM Points In MOUAU (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.