Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? (77125 Views)

"A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct??? / My Name Is "OR" My Names Are; Which Is More Correct? / As I Said Vs. Like I Said: Which Is Grammatically Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by princesscrown(f): 6:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
If you lyk ve 100 hundred name is jxt simply my name IS nothing lyk my names are
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by tammie24: 7:17pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

well, here's my reasoning...

In a sane world, no body has just one name.
The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

So, I'd rather go with my name IS Margaret Thatcher.
As far as identifying me is concerned, none is complete without the other.
I am Margaret and I'm a Thatcher.
In other words, my name is Margaret Thatcher.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

His name is Jehovah Elshaddai.

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

You killed it
You've said it all
Intelligently
In short thread closed!!!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by damiloladuke: 7:20pm On Jul 04, 2015
Originalsly:
Give an example when it is correct to say my names are.
am coming, please wait. let me get to age 40...I will respond to you, wait for me on NAIRALAND
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ERF: 7:36pm On Jul 04, 2015
This stuff was thoroughly emphasized on when I was in Year 1.

Unfortunately, a similiar incident happened in my school. A guy who was the MC for our JCCF'S DRAMA NIGHT was about introducing himself, and the first thing he spilled was:

"My names are..."

There was an uproar from mostly year 1 students, and the whole school. The guy changed immediately to pidgin English in a subtle way to save his head..

My name IS " Prince Emmanuel Iruoghene Emiru P.Irhela"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by iambuba(m): 7:56pm On Jul 04, 2015
my name is,is grammatically correct,no matter how long your name is,it still seen as one name,reffering to one person...
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by oshiosense(m): 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2015
"My name" is the correct, unless when you are asked or wants to be specific, you can now say my surname or first is so, so, so
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Drabrah(m): 8:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Gbam!!!
U nailed it Mhen !!!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by stainless40: 8:12pm On Jul 04, 2015
uchennamani:
They are both correct depending on the context in which it was used. My name is Uche but my names are Uche Nnamani. When asked his name during the Oputa Panel hearing by the chairman; Whole Soyinka replied:'my name is Wole'. The chairman became angry and Prof. Soyinka told him that he should asked him his names. Grammatically, the subject must agree with the verb. The noun subjects 'name or names' must go with its verb equivalents 'is or are' respectively. it is wrong to say ' My name is Uche Nnamani or my name are Uche.'
lie lie. once you are referring to an individual whether that particular person has twenty names it's IS. NOTHING LIKE MY NAMES ARE in English language. you can only use that when referring to two individuals. OUR NAMES ARE
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by bqlekan(m): 8:47pm On Jul 04, 2015
ElDeeVee:
If you're a graduate and you insist it should be MY NAMES ARE when introducing yourself, you need to do just two things;

* Return the certificate issued to you.
* Refund your father's hard earned money.
undecided
lol, o serious...how u dey jare., long time
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ihatesycophant(m): 8:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
Pineapp:
My "name is"=singular.

My "names are"=plural..

Both phrases are correct depending on the situation.

You're wrong, the correct one is "my name is". If an individual is having 100 names, since is the same person bearing the same names in grammatical expression it's expressed as a single name. So, in introduction of one's names, you say, my name is - - - - - - - - - -.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ElDeeVee(m): 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2015
bqlekan:
lol, o serious...how u dey jare., long time
Leke, I'm fine o....how's you too?
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Originalsly: 8:55pm On Jul 04, 2015
damiloladuke:
am coming, please wait. let me get to age 40...I will respond to you, wait for me on NAIRALAND
Ok....I live here on Nairaland....I'll wait ... and try to remember your names are damiloladuke ...ah ah?...only one name...ehmmm....I'll try to remember your name is damiloladuke.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ihatesycophant(m): 8:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
STANPASQUAL:
My name is STANPASQUAL!!
my names are Stan Pasqual!!
You're wrong nothing like my names are if you're referring to a singular individual because it's the same one person and not two. If you like have 100 names, it's my name is and not my names are.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by bqlekan(m): 9:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
ElDeeVee:

Leke, I'm fine o....how's you too?
lol..you still calling me this name, oya this is a social forum nah
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ihatesycophant(m): 9:05pm On Jul 04, 2015
Sanchez01:

Unfortunately, both of you are wrong. There is no such thing as "my names are...". Here lemme explain;

1. The question is "What IS your NAME?": Note, the question did not come with the plural BrE+ form which in this regard would be "ARE". Hence, the question is directed to a singular form or entity (which is one person) and the answer would be singular as well. Therefore "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is most correct".

2. "Name" is a Noun but one's name is singular: This is quite complicated but simple at the same time. A name is an identity by which something is known or described as.

So, when we say "Names", we refer to several others but this is the tricky part; regardless of how many names you bear or carry, you are ONE person. Hence,, we refer to you as a singular entity and not belonging to the plurality class. Hermaphrodites who are even known to possess both male and female features are not pluralized.

Bearing the above in mind, it would imply that the several "NAMES" you have all belong to "ONE" person which is YOU. This is why it is proper to say "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan".

NB: Goodluck+Ebele+Jonathan are all names but they belong to ONE person, therefore it cannot be pluralized during introduction.

Finally, instead of saying "My names are" just say "My full name is..."
E.g;

Customs inspector: Would you please state your name?

Passenger: I'm Goodluck Jonathan

Inspector: Excuse me, sir. Would you please state your full name? / Would you please state your name in full?

Passenger: Sorry! My full name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

Correct and precise. I recommend for the Admin.

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ihatesycophant(m): 9:09pm On Jul 04, 2015
Admin, if you like have 100 names, since it's single you, during introduction you don't pluralise yourself but you simply say my name is and not my names are. If you say, my names are. Are you two-in-one?
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ElDeeVee(m): 9:16pm On Jul 04, 2015
bqlekan:
lol..you still calling me this name, oya this is a social forum nah
OK then cool
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 9:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
StarMogul:
"My name is" is grammatically correct because it refers to a particular individual.

That's just the main idea. No matter how long/much the names... you're still referring to the same person (individual).

So... MY NAME IS....
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by daven: 9:41pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

This is school fees well accounted for.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Kazrem(m): 9:42pm On Jul 04, 2015
Jarus:

I'm not an authority here, but I think I have heard authorities say it is "My name is" no matter the number of names you're calling.
Ese egbon.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Teslaraj121(m): 9:43pm On Jul 04, 2015
both are correct
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by daven: 9:46pm On Jul 04, 2015
Sanchez01:

Unfortunately, both of you are wrong. There is no such thing as "my names are...". Here lemme explain;

1. The question is "What IS your NAME?": Note, the question did not come with the plural BrE+ form which in this regard would be "ARE". Hence, the question is directed to a singular form or entity (which is one person) and the answer would be singular as well. Therefore "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is most correct".

2. "Name" is a Noun but one's name is singular: This is quite complicated but simple at the same time. A name is an identity by which something is known or described as.

So, when we say "Names", we refer to several others but this is the tricky part; regardless of how many names you bear or carry, you are ONE person. Hence,, we refer to you as a singular entity and not belonging to the plurality class. Hermaphrodites who are even known to possess both male and female features are not pluralized.

Bearing the above in mind, it would imply that the several "NAMES" you have all belong to "ONE" person which is YOU. This is why it is proper to say "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan".

NB: Goodluck+Ebele+Jonathan are all names but they belong to ONE person, therefore it cannot be pluralized during introduction.

Finally, instead of saying "My names are" just say "My full name is..."
E.g;

Customs inspector: Would you please state your name?

Passenger: I'm Goodluck Jonathan

Inspector: Excuse me, sir. Would you please state your full name? / Would you please state your name in full?

Passenger: Sorry! My full name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

People wey go school.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by pressplay411(m): 9:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
Talk/Write all you like, One thing that is sure is an Igbo man will still introduce himself as My Names Are Okoro Okechukwu Mbadiwe.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by DonXavi(m): 10:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
H
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gloriabisong: 10:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
Ur name consist of ur three names so name is is correct eg Mary Esther okoro is ur name
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by STANPASQUAL(m): 10:41pm On Jul 04, 2015
ihatesycophant:

You're wrong nothing like my names are if you're referring to a singular individual because it's the same one person and not two. If you like have 100 names, it's my name is and not my names are.
Unfortunately, u are wrong!! We are considering the names and not d individuals!!
U possess multiple names and they ARE ur NAMES!! They IS ur names. ISN'T they??
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by chopnuckle(m): 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2015
Very correct! U don't say your 'names are....' When introducing yourself. Maybe it's the reason why many people keep attending interviews!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by lollybee15(m): 11:20pm On Jul 04, 2015
Hmmm, may God deliver us from people who suddenly created this term few years ago and it now becomes a new trend among illiterates, semi-literates, even literates. 'My names are' is a bad English, there's nothing like this, it's 'My name is', even if one is mentioning ten names altogether. Check the definition of 'NAME' in Oxford dictionary, read everything under it and see how it is made use of in sentence. My name is Jonathan Sawyer Williams and not the other way round. Teachers in our schools these days are into this, murdering grammar. I remember some professors saying this when they were reading out election results in 2011 general election. What a shame?

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by lollybee15(m): 11:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
STANPASQUAL:

Unfortunately, u are wrong!! We are considering the names and not d individuals!!
U possess multiple names and they ARE ur NAMES!! They IS ur names. ISN'T they??
Did you pass English at all? Take to correction and stop changing the rules of English Language. Get a dictionary and read everything under 'NAME'.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Jonwesley(m): 11:30pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

What away to give an answer. I don't have any better way to put it than this. Nairaland is full with illiterates. There's nothing or no such thing as " My names are" in English language, when it's you with only one identity I think there should be away that when a best opinion or an answer is given on Nairaland, the thread should be closed to avoid an endless argument upon argument. The fact that it's sounds correct by structure and construction doesn't make it right. If I meet or a candidate introduces himself or herself before me in an interview, he has failed my interview. Every other thing he does or answers before me is just for me not to show it before him or her.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by abdulhamid0(m): 12:00am On Jul 05, 2015
Both are wrong it's my name na goodluck E. Jonathan
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by holyeye1989(m): 12:09am On Jul 05, 2015
DEPENDING ON HOW THE QUESTION WAS ASKED...WHT IS UR NAME..?..MY NAMES ARE SO...SO.SOO...IS VERY WRONG...IS WHEN THE QUESTION IS ..WHAT ARE UR NAMES ...U ANS..MY NAMES ARE...YES..CORRECT..

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Universities With Best Teaching Hospitals / See Ghana’s Oldest University View That Got People Talking / Osun Mega School Aregbesola Built With N2 billion Is Fading Away In The Bush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.