Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School (28089 Views)

Nnadi Nnedimkpa Susan Graduates With 4.93 CGPA From Covenant University / 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA / Taiwo Bankole & Oyindamola Omotuyi Graduate With 5.0 CGPA In UNILAG (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by EduRegard: 8:44am On Jul 04, 2015
First of all, CGPA ( Cumulative Grade Point Average) is the average of all semester results in tertiary institutions, used to evaluate how well a student is performing in school based on previous results.

Banging A’s in all courses won’t guarantee success, but it sure doesn’t hurt. A high CGPA doesn’t put you on the path to riches but it sure does nothing related to the opposite. A good CGPA will help you make more money, pursue further education, or change career paths. If you’re going to spend many thousands of naira on a tertiary education, you might as well make the most of it. Right? Cos as the saying goes, “Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well”.

Now, what happens if my CGPA is nothing close to being alive, what happens if my CGPA is right there on the floor lying fallow and what happens if my CGPA is something close to the sine of 30?? Ooops!That’s an exaggeration though, if your CGPA is not up to 0.5, the sine of 30 degrees, then visit TB Joshua for prayers or rather check yourself, you might have been destined to become a millionaire in the carpentry industry, not everyone is meant for school, ask Dangote. Well, probably just kidding.

It’s no secret that students will calculate and recalculate their grade point averages over and over again during the semester or even after exams, hoping that it’s high enough to raise shoulders about.
But what can you do if it’s just not high enough?
Contrary to popular belief, a low GPA isn’t a death sentence. There are plenty of things you can do to fix whatever went wrong and start earning better grades to boost your average. Here are some steps to help you get started on How To Boost Your GPA.

Evaluate Where You Are :
The first step is to evaluate where you are in your career, and if there’s enough time to raise your grade point average, which is sure. If you’re a fresher, for instance, and you just fell a little behind during your first year probably due to the fact that you got carried away with the euphoria of being a freshman, you still have plenty of time to hit the books and earn some stellar grades. If you’re about to head into your year three out of four, however, you may need to explore other options, such as enrolling for extra classes and tutorials.

Talk to Your Part Adviser :
The best asset in your evaluation process is your departmental part adviser. They can help you review all of your transcripts, evaluate the damage, and help you plot a course of action. They’ll know the target GPA requirements for an average student in such department, and they can help you in so many ways by analysing your courses and pointing out which courses to pick in following semesters and what grades you need to get to prove that bad grades are behind you. They’ll also know of any additional tutorials you can enroll in to come out excellently and how to go about it in case you are to retake any course.

Know What Went Wrong :
This is the most important part of your plan. Do you know what went wrong with your grades? Did you earn poor marks because you were distracted by friends, extracurricular activities, or personal issues? Was finding the right study techniques an issue? Or did you really struggle with the materials?
Once you’ve identified why you struggled in school, you can take steps to address it. If you couldn’t juggle all of your commitments, you’ll need to readjust your schedule. If you had a hard time studying, get advice on how to improve those skills. And if there was one particular course that really proved hard, consider seeking out a tutor to get you back on track.

After evaluating yourself and getting ready with the determination to pick up the baton and run the race as you opt to get your CGPA back on track, then you need to follow the following procedures, then sit back and watch as your CGPA climbs up the stairs.

Start Attending Lectures regularly :
This is mind-numbingly obvious but it’s important to mention. Though some lecturers teach directly from PowerPoint and find a means to get the slides within the reach of the students. This makes it tempting for students to skip class, they just download the lecture slides, and learn the materials on their own. You might probably get away with this in easy courses, you’ll face problems in challenging ones. By skipping class, you miss out on a few important things:
Detailed oral explanations from the lecturer which are keys to understanding the material
The chance to ask questions and listen to the questions of other students and the answers
Announcements and assignments
Opportunities for extra marks e.g Attendance
It sounds like a no-brainer, but it’s too important to not mention. Skipping class can make you look bad in the eyes of your lecturer especially if it’s a small class and the lecturer knows most of his students. Since grades are somewhat subjective, it’s a good idea to avoid irritating the person who will be handing out the marks. If attendance is an issue, you could be struck with a B versus the A- you deserve.

Position And Organise Yourself :
If you don’t have a study technique, you can burn midnight candles and make bulbs explode all in the the name of reading and still not get anywhere. The only sure way to make the most of your reading is to employ a study strategy that complements your schedule and learning style.
The sooner you can get started on your assignments, the better. Try keeping a
list of proven information sources, web apps and other dependable resources so that you can find something the second you need it. The saved time can be used to study, chill round or just sleep.

Start a weekend study review :
A very common practise which leads to a problem students encounter is trying to read an enormous amount of material right before the exam. This is practically impossible or rather possible but not practicable when you are on a mission to boost your GP. You’ll find it much easier if you take a gradual approach to studying. Get settled once a week, preferably weekend, review your notes starting from the beginning of the course. Not necessarily extensive reading, just something like a run-through. This should not take more than 15minutes, just enough time to build familiarity with the material.
By doing this weekly, you’ll gradually memorize everything without cramming and will better understand how one concept builds on the next. Putting in small amounts of effort on a consistent basis will drastically reduce the amount of studying you need to do right before the exam.

Familiarise Yourself With Smart Students With Higher GPA :
Actually, no one wants to get stuck within a bunch slackers and riff-Raff.. In courses that involve group work, this is very essential. The quality of the your learning is directly proportional to the qualities of the people you work with. Working with brilliant people will facilitate educationally healthy discussion. The best way to understand an idea is talking about it with other intelligent people.
You’re bound to make lots of friends in school. If you can, try not to make friends with someone whose GPA is something related to yours, both of you will merely spend most times consoling each other. Rather, spend some time with a study buddy who has a high GPA. Such will be able to help you out when you struggle and may prove to be a good influence should you feel the urge to slack.

Library Is A Place Of Study – Make Use Of It :
Dorm rooms aren’t the best place to study if you have been doing so. It’s way too easy to get distracted by room mates and visitors who will never stop displaying their characteristics. Your study time can be more productive if you use your school’s library or a similar facility. Every time you enter that building, your mind will switch into reading mode and stay there until you decide to leave.

Set a Goal and Reward Yourself :
Good grades are their own reward, but it doesn’t hurt to have a little extra incentive. Try setting a GPA goal and rewarding yourself with something that you really want after you achieve it.

Pray To God :
This is the last but the most important. Only this can handle all the aforementioned lists, but you are meant to “Work and pray”. Confess a prayer excerpt as you wake up everyday and probably before you go to bed.

That should be all. Follow these steps and you will see your GPA shoot through the roof. Good luck.

SOURCEE : http://www.eduregard.com.ng/how-to-boost-gpacgpa-in-school/

53 Likes 16 Shares

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Greycious(m): 8:47am On Jul 04, 2015
op, go revive ur dead 1.50 CGPA first grin

I'm sure u r not practicing all d above listed undecided

Special thanks to empty N for allowing my browser load fast so I could book this honorary space grin

Don't b jeloz o tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Cutehector(m): 9:00am On Jul 04, 2015
Ova front page dey worry this topic

By the way, na 2nd class upper sure pass wink

4 Likes

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 04, 2015
What is CGPA??
As u assume we should all know what ur chating about ..
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 04, 2015
Cutehector:
Ova front page dey worry this topic

By the way, na 2nd class upper sure pass wink

Lol is it on education thread .. He will get FP but he should explain the term first for nigerians who dont know the terms ..
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Edwardhead(m): 9:06am On Jul 04, 2015
[size=13pt] be serious and stop booking for fp space on nairaland

Mind your business, ur cgpa

Have good friends
[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Cutehector(m): 9:10am On Jul 04, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Lol is it on education thread .. He will get FP but he should explain the term first for nigerians who dont know the terms ..
nigerians aren't dat dumb... Some just aren't education inclined... Some do well in business.. I can't force my children to hav a first degree.. Anyone dat wants to venture in music, acting, business, military. Etc, I go jus settle dem ...

8 Likes

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by pass111(m): 9:15am On Jul 04, 2015
The fear of GPA is the beginning of success

3 Likes

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 04, 2015
Cutehector:
nigerians aren't dat dumb... Some just aren't education inclined... Some do well in business.. I can't force my children to hav a first degree.. Anyone dat wants to venture in music, acting, business, military. Etc, I go jus settle dem ...

Ok but what does that term mean ?
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Cutehector(m): 9:17am On Jul 04, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Ok but what does that term mean ?
what term?

1 Like

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 04, 2015
Cutehector:
what term?
Cgpa
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Cutehector(m): 9:20am On Jul 04, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Cgpa
cummulative grade point average... Lala I graduated with a second class upper u knw.... wink
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by piicity(m): 9:21am On Jul 04, 2015
Good Morning and happy weekend
LadyBoss1:
Cgpa
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by icekream(m): 9:21am On Jul 04, 2015
This post is meant for the unilorites that their results were released on thursday... People CGPA no fit flash mtn to mtn. CGPA: Cummulative Grade Point Average

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 04, 2015
Cutehector:
cummulative grade point average... Lala I graduated with a second class upper u knw.... wink

Is that good.. Lol
U know i used another educational system not nigerian so im not to sure what these tings mean
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 04, 2015
piicity:
Good Morning and happy weekend

Not here pls derail thread
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Cutehector(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Is that good.. Lol
U know i used another educational system not nigerian so im not to sure what these tings mean
yeah its good.. At least I ddnt fail! Lol dats alright... Am not ashamed to ask questions.. Its only fools dat pride dem selves in tryn to shy away frm askin questions.. Its good to ask questions... I just pray u dnt judge me next time
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by piicity(m): 9:25am On Jul 04, 2015
It means all this Nl rules aren't clear to me o,is it only romance chat central and derailer we can greet ourselver?
LadyBoss1:

Not here pls derail thread

1 Like

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 04, 2015
Cutehector:
yeah its good.. At least I ddnt fail! Lol dats alright... Am not ashamed to ask questions.. Its only fools dat pride dem selves in tryn to shy away frm askin questions.. Its good to ask questions... I just pray u dnt judge me next time

Lol i dont judge anyone smiley oya no derail the guy thread its going fp
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Cutehector(m): 9:28am On Jul 04, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Lol i dont judge anyone smiley oya no derail the guy thread its going fp
u knw I love derailing... kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Emik09(m): 9:32am On Jul 04, 2015
The pain of studying is temporary but CGPA is permanent

2 Likes

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by EduRegard: 10:07am On Jul 04, 2015
LadyBoss1:
What is CGPA??
As u assume we should all know what ur chating about ..
Post Modified.
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by EduRegard: 10:08am On Jul 04, 2015
icekream:
This post is meant for the unilorites that their results were released on thursday... People CGPA no fit flash mtn to mtn. CGPA: Cummulative Grade Point Average
Hehehe

1 Like

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by fattbabakay(m): 10:10am On Jul 04, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Is that good.. Lol
Oh u also studied in Pakistan??

2 Likes

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by allansie(m): 10:11am On Jul 04, 2015
K
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by samintegrity(m): 10:11am On Jul 04, 2015
wink
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by fattbabakay(m): 10:11am On Jul 04, 2015
Emik09:
TRUE TALK...*In Laylow's voice*

1 Like

Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by Mopolchi: 10:11am On Jul 04, 2015
Study hard.
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by admax(m): 10:11am On Jul 04, 2015
True Talk
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by dalyricist: 10:13am On Jul 04, 2015
Issokay

Meanwhile

Happy weekend better people ...

Our mtn data offer is about to end...

We only need few people today to be part of the offer.

So, we have decided to give 5 people 1.5gb for just 900 each...

Don't dull ooooo

WhatsApp me 07030407370
Re: How To Wake A Dead CGPA In School by EduRegard: 10:13am On Jul 04, 2015
Emik09:
That's why we need to work hard and bear the pain for the mean time

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ / See The Sorry State Of This Primary School In Zamfara: Photos / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.