Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease - Science/Technology (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease (693016 Views)

17-Year-Old Boy Helps Polytechnic To Build Nigeria's First Locally-Made Drone / The Locally-Made Vehicle I Saw In Aba - Pictures / Locally Made Amphibian Jet Spotted At Lagos Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (356) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 6:20am On Dec 09, 2015
sukkot:
thanks ceejay. much appreciated. i will keep you in mind if i decide to embark on this. maybe you can hook it up for me for a fee
no problem
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Bosc(m): 6:37am On Dec 09, 2015
ceejay80s:

there's only 2 types of charging.
U need electricity to charge the battery,
even all these expensive inverters are plugged to electricity for charging, phone chargers,ups, rechargable fans are plugged to electricity.
Once the batteries are fully charged and nepa takes ur light, the ups switches to battery mode, u dont need to unplug ur charger from the electricity, incase u are not at home and nepa brings back ur light, the charger continues charging

Thanks bro for all ur explanation. How do u connect the 20amp charger u talked about earlier to the ups and battery. That is where my confusion is.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 6:41am On Dec 09, 2015
Eldorado01:
ceejay very nice concept....I want to ask how do you charge the battery? does It have a wire u can plug in to phcn or generator, and how many hours does It take to charge it to the fullest?
its the smart charger that charges the battery, ups are designed to charge small batteries, it will take a very very long time to fully charge a 100ah battery with a ups, but with the smart charger connected to the battery, it charges faster and better compared to the ups
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 7:02am On Dec 09, 2015
Bosc:

Thanks bro for all ur explanation. How do u connect the 20amp charger u talked about earlier to the ups and battery. That is where my confusion is.
the battery is bigger than the ups, so it sits on the floor beside ur ups, u need to buy a slightly thick red & black copper cable wire and a black celotape, connect and extend the red wire to the red wire from the ups and do same to the black wire, now, connect the extended wires to the battery make sure the red wire is connected to the positive(+) of the battery and the black wire to the negative(-) of the battery, do not connect it wrongly or else that ups toast, celotape ur connections properly and seperate the two wires so that they dont contact together, the smart charger has a negetive and positive wires to, connect them to the battery just as u did with the ups cables, now plug the ups and smart charger to ur electricity
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ojomide: 7:24am On Dec 09, 2015
Very nice presentation. Even though its sound crude,bottom line is that it works.It generally shows that with determination you can get what you want and highlight the core requirements of a backup system.
Every other system is a refinement of what you have.
Because cost is a concern and rightly so,many are attracted to this thread.the reason is that this is a pain many Nigerians are being 'forced' to go through.
Op has shown with this that you can equally force yourself out and refuse to accept a fate of darkness and kill joy.
I have in recent times written on our need for paradigm shift in our quest for stable energy.
This thread has helped by focusing on starting small.
While the setup is OK,non techies may find the arrangement weird and also express safety concern which is also key.
But the point is most inverter systems pack all of this in a box neatly and those are the extras you pay for.
I also have similar setup with a small but mighty 150w inverter that has surprisingly outlived big inverters and powers ;2fans 2tv 2laptops and some bulb.I only stop loading when it sounds overload alarm.
On top of this I have arranged a total of 500W solar panel on my roof and since fuel scarcity returned I have moved over to solar with the same setup .
I have seen been enjoying free power and advocating for others.
The most exciting day was the day I got a 2000watt inverter which I simply put in place of the small 150watt and voila I put on my freezer for 5 hours.
So for some of you asking how to run much longer on this system, solar is your answer.
I will try to arrange with op for those desiring solution desperately as I am.
What the op has done here is to take advantage of a ups without a battery which saves you at least 15k-25k that an inverter will cost and this is huge in a country where everyone is managing.

Whatsapp:08023117986
Check some of my write up on solar and how I can assist you too:

http://shopwise.ng/classifieds-search/ad/computer-and-it-services,28/affordable-solar-power-solution,164#.Vlrr0vY7Lck.facebook

http://pgresource.com/solutions/solar-power-solution/power-guide

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by oluwafon(m): 7:37am On Dec 09, 2015
way to go guys! Nice and informative. like ojomide, get more comforts with an inverter about 1000w average minimum and you can put on your TV, fan, lights, DVD at the same time. you will also need minimum of 200ah battery. I use my set up with 1200ah battery capacity I didvided into three units of 400ah each with 1500w car inverter. right now, it is bye bye to generator.

cheers grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by lwise(m): 7:58am On Dec 09, 2015
ColeworldMD:

Im looking to follow ur foot steps. Whats ur current source of renewable energy?

I have a Luminous inverter,I can charge my batteries with either solar power or PHCN power supply.

The basic thing you need to do to make it last longer is to always be conscious of the load you put on it.Thats all.
I use LED lamps(5W) to replace all the 60W lamps I have.I also use 33W 24 inches Samsumg LED TV when there
is no supply from PHCN.
I also use it with my 7.5Kg LG washing machine.
Basically,I have uninterrupted power supply 24hrs...

Wise up people

7 Likes

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 09, 2015
Please who can tell me where i can buy powerbank for laptop.... 48ah,12v
pls contact me!!!!
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by seemsnice: 8:19am On Dec 09, 2015
Booty4me:
hmmm lots off wiring .. looks like a mini bomb grin
senseless dude lol

2 Likes

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by afreekah: 8:24am On Dec 09, 2015
ceejay80s:

there's only 2 types of charging.
U need electricity to charge the battery,
even all these expensive inverters are plugged to electricity for charging, phone chargers,ups, rechargable fans are plugged to electricity.
Once the batteries are fully charged and nepa takes ur light, the ups switches to battery mode, u dont need to unplug ur charger from the electricity, incase u are not at home and nepa brings back ur light, the charger continues charging

Nice one here ceejay80s, what about the UPS noise when NEPA takes light. You have any idea how to remove that boring alerts?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ColeworldMD(m): 8:26am On Dec 09, 2015
lwise:

I have a Luminous inverter,I can charge my batteries with either solar power or PHCN power supply.

The basic thing you need to do to make it last longer is to always be conscious of the load you put on it.Thats all.
I use LED lamps(5W) to replace all the 60W lamps I have.I also use 33W 24 inches Samsumg LED TV when there
is no supply from PHCN.
I also use it with my 7.5Kg LG washing machine.
Basically,I have uninterrupted power supply 24hrs...

Wise up people
How much is the capacity of the inverter & the cost? Thanks sounds interesting!
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by shirgles(m): 8:30am On Dec 09, 2015
This is d type of post I always look out for
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by shirgles(m): 8:31am On Dec 09, 2015
This is d type of post I always look out for on nairaland
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 8:45am On Dec 09, 2015
afreekah:

Nice one here ceejay80s, what about the UPS noise when NEPA takes light. You have any idea how to remove that boring alerts?
when u open the ups, use black celotape to cover the top of the small black beeper inside the ups, it reduces the beeping sound or go to computer village and buy a brand new latest model maxtron or bluegate ups.
The latest model when on battery mode beeps 17 times and then stops beeping , the next time u hear the beep again is when the battery is weak, if u are buying brand new from computer village, make sure u put on the ups in battery mode and dont plug to electricity

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by vikeyz(m): 9:00am On Dec 09, 2015
Hmn,let me try this
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by lwise(m): 9:20am On Dec 09, 2015
ColeworldMD:

How much is the capacity of the inverter & the cost? Thanks sounds interesting!

1.5KVA then it was 38K

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by cstravelsng: 9:28am On Dec 09, 2015
@ceejay80s, though everyone has said it, I will still say kudos and bravo! This thread is away better and more relevant than the tonto duke nonsense threads that regularly hit FP.

Anyway, I'm sold on this idea...as well as some input from guys like lwise and ojomide.

Now my question to you guys:

I have a LED that's 74W, as well as a DSTV HD decoder, startimes and a Sony Home theatre. I also have one of those rechargeable fans which sadly doesn't last more than 30mins anymore. I don't mind turning the home theatre off but I definitely don't wanna buy a small screen. Also having a few lights on as well won't be bad.

What equipment will I require to become 'oga' like you guys are when PHCN hold the power?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ColeworldMD(m): 9:37am On Dec 09, 2015
lwise:

1.5KVA then it was 38K
Very reasonable considering the amnt ppl spend on gen. But i would prefer smth dat can carry one iron or ac. That my friends is the final nail on nepas coffin.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by usibengate(m): 9:41am On Dec 09, 2015
Hey bro Ceejay80s, please can u just show us the circuit connection of all the components in the devices, or explain to us outside Lagos

Thanks Bruv

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Olagold(m): 9:42am On Dec 09, 2015
can you help me with the one that will carry a TV set and a standing fan. How much will it cost?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Meche4life(m): 9:43am On Dec 09, 2015
[quote embarassed author=ceejay80s post=35571554]
Can I get the contact of the guy you bought the battery from. Thanks
Yes u can get a 20watts 15inch monitor ,most 15inch monitors come with a power adapter, its from the power adapter that u can calculate the watts, my 15inch came with a power adapter of 60watts, I had to buy another 12v adapter , I needed the lcd wattage to be low, remember, the lower the watts of ur appliance, the longer ur battery can carry ..,
I bought a 12v--- 2.0A power cable for my 15inch .
12v multiply by 2.0A = 24watts.
NOTE: my 32inch lcd is 160watts, so its always on when there is light, but wen nepa carry light, I switch it off completely, I had to get a very small extension box with a switch on it, so as to make sure its turned off completely, because if its still on standby mode, it will still draw little current.
Below is the photo of the power adapter I bought for my 15inch, 15inch lcd monitor with AV input is available at computer village as from 5k, if u are buying one, make sure it has an AV input, where u plug in ur video in and audio in cable, if u no smart those boys go carry ordinary PC monitor give u,
How long will a 160Watts 32inch lcd TV last on my 12v 40ah battery ?
12v multiply by 40ah battery divide by 160watts =3hrs
12v multiply by 40ah battery divided by 24watts = 20hrs[/quote]

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Turbocharged: 9:44am On Dec 09, 2015
I personally recommend the Op for the NATIONAL MERIT AWARD.

3 Likes

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Meche4life(m): 9:48am On Dec 09, 2015
Can I get the contact of the guy you bought the battery from
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by engrshakespeare: 9:53am On Dec 09, 2015
lawanson44:

And the useless Oba of Lagos and some silly yorubas say Igbos should leave Lagos. I cannot seem to conjure my mind to imagine a yoruba man doing this kind of business.

Abeg carry your tribalism elsewhere na. Is this thread about anybody's origin?

3 Likes

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by shady16: 9:57am On Dec 09, 2015
elmisti:
So dere is a thread like dis since july nd tonto dikeh with davido keep making FP, d kind thunder wey go strike dis mumu Mods ehn...na joint effort from God and devil go power am.....awon oniranu oshi

lol

I dey tell u cheesy
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by holaralph(m): 10:23am On Dec 09, 2015
I can't believe I just finished reading the whole posts on the thread, As a tech man and Sound engineer I am blessed the more
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by holaralph(m): 10:24am On Dec 09, 2015
I can't believe I just finished reading the whole posts on the thread, As a tech man and Sound engineer I am blessed the more, God bless you Ceejay and all those that find time to read and contribute
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by loomer: 10:46am On Dec 09, 2015
Na so ur tv be or na the inverter no power am well?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by lwise(m): 11:13am On Dec 09, 2015
ColeworldMD:

Very reasonable considering the amnt ppl spend on gen. But i would prefer smth dat can carry one iron or ac. That my friends is the final nail on nepas coffin.

Lol, the minimum wattage for Iron is 500W, dont just try it. Just iron your cloth when you have PHCN or with Generator.
Pressing iron will surely destroy the ba3s.,it's like connecting electric cooker to your inverter.

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by engrshakespeare: 11:21am On Dec 09, 2015
sagieramos:

yeah right, he invented d ups, d charger and d ba3 in biafra.

Bro why u dey worry yourself with that bonehead

2 Likes

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 11:24am On Dec 09, 2015
Ty207:
ceejay you finally make front page grin grin wink
hw far on ur own self constructed inverter, hope its working fine?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (356) (Reply)

Www.waptrick.com Download Game , Mp3, Music ,apps / Www.waptrick.com | Download Games | Music | Videos | Apps

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.