Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease - Science/Technology (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease (693063 Views)

17-Year-Old Boy Helps Polytechnic To Build Nigeria's First Locally-Made Drone / The Locally-Made Vehicle I Saw In Aba - Pictures / Locally Made Amphibian Jet Spotted At Lagos Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (356) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Mozabo(m): 12:52am On May 23, 2017
frenchwine:
Good day all, pls I wanna buy an inverter to power a few appliances viz a fan, laptop, 2phones, a mini refrigerator.
What capacity inverter should I go for and how much should I budget? Thanks.
PS: I think an AC charged inverter is preferable as I'm not keen on a solar inverter cos of the installation and maintenance wahala.
Thanks

then your just in you can visit www.mozabo.com we have a load calculator we would send you a qoute that would guide you on what it would cost you although this is just version 1.1 but am sure you would get value for your time we aslo install so feel free to give us a call
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 4:01am On May 23, 2017
Yemmyteespeed007:

engr baddo
as u dey mix old n new battery, shey problem no go dey.
shey na 12v or 24v system u dey use?
I need d 18ah o

12v system.
from day one,all my batteries are tokunbo, except the brand new 100ah saint2ace bought for me ,they have all been working fine together,i am going to add distilled water to them soon
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 4:02am On May 23, 2017
Yemmyteespeed007:

engr baddo
as u dey mix old n new battery, shey problem no go dey.
shey na 12v or 24v system u dey use?
I need d 18ah o

the 18ah is dead and its the first battery I bought for my setup
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by isaactolu: 5:40am On May 23, 2017
sentix:

2. Has anybody use Crown Inverters Before? and how reliable are they?

oga ceejay & co?

oya
This is the type of inverter I'm using, I won't say its great cos I'm getting less than I should get and I believe its either this inverter or the battery. Don't buy it
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 7:33am On May 23, 2017
Mozabo:

then your just in you can visit www.mozabo.com we have a load calculator we would send you a qoute that would guide you on what it would cost you although this is just version 1.1 but am sure you would get value for your time we aslo install so feel free to give us a call
Thanks , would check later in the day
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 8:36am On May 23, 2017
ceejay80s:

12v system.
from day one,all my batteries are tokunbo, except the brand new 100ah saint2ace bought for me ,they have all been working fine together,i am going to add distilled water to them soon
are you using vrl batteries?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 9:07am On May 23, 2017
kennypedia:

are you using vrl batteries?
YES!!! VRLA
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 11:06am On May 23, 2017
ceejay80s:

YES!!! VRLA
thats quiet a piece of bomb . anyway you are a techguy . I have seen on video on YouTube for like months and I will like to share it here though I have been on nl for long this is the first thread am saying a dam you guys like me (stingy and techy ) can make our 12v 20ah bat charger from a desktop power pack at least its giving me what I need.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 11:20am On May 23, 2017
Mozabo:

Your site is taking forever to load
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 11:21am On May 23, 2017
ceejay80s:

YES!!! VRLA
Pls is it possible to get an inverter that doesn't require installation? Any recommendations?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by mrruns: 8:34am On May 24, 2017
Hi all. Pls I hv a few questions;
1. With solar charge controller already inbuilt, can hybrid inverter supply AC (Alternative Current) power directly to feed appliances WITHOUT battery bank?

In other words, if battery bank supplies DC power to d inverter, now converted to AC feeding appliances, can solar panel (DC) power also feed directly to hybrid inverter, after having converted to AC to power appliances WITHOUT needing battery bank?

2. Apart frm d label or sticker pasted on d body:
A) are there other indications to differentiate between mono and poly solar panels? Since label can be deceptive.

B) are there also ready ways to know d true Watt, label or no label?

3. Does solar panels also have 12v and 24v? Or d traditional connection of 2pcs 12v in series is d way of achieving its own 24v too?

4. While already mounted and used for a while, but due to one reason or d other, if solar panel is left unused for a period of time, does dat damage it, or affect it in any way? If any, what is d considerable period like? Ref. to leaving battery unused for a while

5. Is there any rule guiding d distance to maintain between solar panel and d roof while mounting? Or can it just be placed right on roof and screw down?

Thanks for sincere and mature response.

Stiill waiting pls
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by pato405(m): 3:10pm On May 24, 2017
My charger has packed up after 1yr & 6 months of active service . I, however, got another for 5k. Surprisingly, it hasn't served 2 weeks yet and already showing signs of inefficiency. PHCN only supplies power for about 3 hours daily in my location, which was more than enough for my former 10A charger to get my 65AH Fullriver battery fully charged or at least, reasonably charged. The new inverter, despite being 16Amps has been performing woefully as it can't get the battery charged. I observed that after 3-4hr charge time, battery lasts barely 15minutes before the inverter starts blaring all alarms of low battery. I am sure the fault is not from the battery.

Seeing that a common problem being reported on this thread is the lack of durability of these chargers. Can we all begin to brainstorm on how to create (locally make) chargers or troubleshoot them?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by pato405(m): 4:18pm On May 24, 2017
mrruns:
Hi all. Pls I hv a few questions;
1. With solar charge controller already inbuilt, can hybrid inverter supply AC (Alternative Current) power directly to feed appliances WITHOUT battery bank?

In other words, if battery bank supplies DC power to d inverter, now converted to AC feeding appliances, can solar panel (DC) power also feed directly to hybrid inverter, after having converted to AC to power appliances WITHOUT needing battery bank?

2. Apart frm d label or sticker pasted on d body:
A) are there other indications to differentiate between mono and poly solar panels? Since label can be deceptive.

B) are there also ready ways to know d true Watt, label or no label?

3. Does solar panels also have 12v and 24v? Or d traditional connection of 2pcs 12v in series is d way of achieving its own 24v too?

4. While already mounted and used for a while, but due to one reason or d other, if solar panel is left unused for a period of time, does dat damage it, or affect it in any way? If any, what is d considerable period like? Ref. to leaving battery unused for a while

5. Is there any rule guiding d distance to maintain between solar panel and d roof while mounting? Or can it just be placed right on roof and screw down?

Thanks for sincere and mature response.

Stiill waiting pls

Too many questions, but I'll try responding to them as concisely as possible:

1. Inverters need battery DC and converts them to AC, hence their derived names 'Inverters'. You shouldn't expect inverters to convert your DC from solar panels directly to AC without solar charge controllers as intermediate.

2.a: Mono and poly are distinct even in appearance
2 b: I should think there are ammeters to measure amperage of current (I). The wattage/power (P), can then be derived from tyhe formula; P=IV i.e if 5amps , power (measured in watts) = 5 X 12 = 60watt (for a 12 volts panel)

3. Yes there are 12v as well as 24 volts. You could also achieve 24 volts by connecting 2 12 volts in series.

4. If unused, your solar panels will still remain ok! However, a battery left unused for a long while, may run-down

5. There is no rule guiding distances between panels. It is, however, advisable to have shortest possible distances to save wires expended in connecting them together.

Hope this helps?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by teamsynergy: 12:45am On May 25, 2017
pato405:
My charger has packed up after 1yr & 6 months of active service . I, however, got another for 5k. Surprisingly, it hasn't served 2 weeks yet and already showing signs of inefficiency. PHCN only supplies power for about 3 hours daily in my location, which was more than enough for my former 10A charger to get my 65AH Fullriver battery fully charged or at least, reasonably charged. The new inverter, despite being 16Amps has been performing woefully as it can't get the battery charged. I observed that after 3-4hr charge time, battery lasts barely 15minutes before the inverter starts blaring all alarms of low battery. I am sure the fault is not from the battery.

Seeing that a common problem being reported on this thread is the lack of durability of these chargers. Can we all begin to brainstorm on how to create (locally make) chargers or troubleshoot them?
sorry bout your charger. Have you tried to open it to see watz wrong, perhaps a blown capacitor or bulging capacitor, the fusible resistor and other tiny components there.am sure u r somewhat techy, thatx y am asking all this.... anyways we definitely have to start troubleshooting this chargers and maybe thru that, we could develop our own programmable multiphase charger or a simple durable charge that won't over charge ...

r u sure that ur inverter is designed charge DAT type of battery? cos the stated current is more than sufficient oooo.... but some inverters r jst from hell, they can cause a serious nightmare
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by teamsynergy: 12:49am On May 25, 2017
kennypedia:

thats quiet a piece of bomb . anyway you are a techguy . I have seen on video on YouTube for like months and I will like to share it here though I have been on nl for long this is the first thread am saying a dam you guys like me (stingy and techy ) can make our 12v 20ah bat charger from a desktop power pack at least its giving me what I need.
will it charge acid lead batteries ?cos the ones av seen only charge lithium polymer batteries
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 9:13am On May 25, 2017
teamsynergy:

will it charge acid lead batteries ?cos they once,av seen only charge lithium polymer batteries
charges lead acid life po lithium ion so far they are in 12v

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by teamsynergy: 9:27am On May 25, 2017
kennypedia:

charges lead acid life po lithium ion so far they are in 12v
could u share some links??
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 10:35am On May 25, 2017

4 Likes

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by pato405(m): 10:37am On May 25, 2017
teamsynergy:

sorry bout your charger. Have you tried to open it to see watz wrong, perhaps a blown capacitor or bulging capacitor, the fusible resistor and other tiny components there.am sure u r somewhat techy, thatx y am asking all this.... anyways we definitely have to start troubleshooting this chargers and maybe thru that, we could develop our own programmable multiphase charger or a simple durable charge that won't over charge ...

r u sure that ur inverter is designed charge DAT type of battery? cos the stated current is more than sufficient oooo.... but some inverters r jst from hell, they can cause a serious nightmare

Bro, an electrical technician and I have opened it and inspected what could be the cause. A bulging capacitor was clearly visible and we changed it and also one of the resistors. After the changes made, the charger still REFUSED to work. Up till now that I type these texts, the guy is still battling with it even though I have given up. He said he wasn't giving up because he enjoys challenges of such and although I have given up on it, he pleaded that I allow him take a more in-depth look into all components - something tells me he'll never be able to resolve the problem as these chargers are mostly China products designed not to last beyond a year! You need to see the grammatical blunders on the manual, guy, you'll gasp for breath and pass-out. Our posts on this forum is sufficient evidence that they are all shambolic contraptions from mediocre technologies not built with rigor or ruggedness. More than 60% of first generation participants of this thread who successfully built the local inverter set-up (including me) all have the same experience with these chargers.

I'm interested in your suggestion, that we could, on this thread, also focus on exploring alternatives e.g just as we adapted the common office UPS for inverters, we could also start brainstorming on what components of the UPS could be changed to enable it charge higher capacity batteries (as opposed to the 7.5H inbuilt) i.e enabling it through local modifications to charge 100AH and more.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by teamsynergy: 11:34am On May 25, 2017
pato405:

Bro, an electrical technician and I have opened it and inspected what could be the cause. A bulging capacitor was clearly visible and we changed it and also one of the resistors. After the changes made, the charger still REFUSED to work. Up till now that I type these texts, the guy is still battling with it even though I have given up. He said he wasn't giving up because he enjoys challenges of such and although I have given up on it, he pleaded that I allow him take a more in-depth look into all components - something tells me he'll never be able to resolve the problem as these chargers are mostly China products designed not to last beyond a year! You need to see the grammatical blunders on the manual, guy, you'll gasp for breath and pass-out. Our posts on this forum is sufficient evidence that they are all shambolic contraptions from mediocre technologies not built with rigor or ruggedness. More than 60% of first generation participants of this thread who successfully built the local inverter set-up (including me) all have the same experience with these chargers.

I'm interested in your suggestion, that we could, on this thread, also focus on exploring alternatives e.g just as we adapted the common office UPS for inverters, we could also start brainstorming on what components of the UPS could be changed to enable it charge higher capacity batteries (as opposed to the 7.5H inbuilt) i.e enabling it through local modifications to charge 100AH and more.
I have the 30a charger too, tho still works. try check the fusible resistor with a multimeter, it should be in the range of 10ohms...if datz is not damaged, maybe d ic is gone... a sizeable transformer and a rectifier would make a dumb charge, making it smart is the challenge. am sure we can work somfin ooo.... I have to d more research tho..

the resistor is usually at the live terminal
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by teamsynergy: 11:39am On May 25, 2017
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by pato405(m): 2:13pm On May 25, 2017
teamsynergy:
I have the 30a charger too, tho still works. try check the fusible resistor with a multimeter, it should be in the range of 10ohms...if datz is not damaged, maybe d ic is gone... a sizeable transformer and a rectifier would make a dumb charge, making it smart is the challenge. am sure we can work somfin ooo.... I have to d more research tho..

the resistor is usually at the live terminal

Thanks will keep trying. @bolded, are you saying it's possible to couple a charger with a transformer and a rectifier? How safe is it for the battery life as it's not smart?
What's that in-between the laptop battery & the alligator clipper wires? Sorry I couldn't watch the clip as my office wifi is barred from relaying videos during office hours. Is that a DC to DC step down converter as shown:

1 Share

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 8:06pm On May 25, 2017
pato405:

Thanks will keep trying. @bolded, are you saying it's possible to couple a charger with a transformer and a rectifier? How safe is it for the battery life as it's not smart?
What's that in-between the laptop battery & the alligator clipper wires? Sorry I couldn't watch the clip as my office wifi is barred from relaying videos during office hours. Is that a DC to DC step down converter as shown:

yes there are various brands its a dc step down . it is needed because the charger itself is 19v. any volt ranging from 12 to 13.4 is suitable for 12 v batt
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 8:09pm On May 25, 2017
[quote author=teamsynergy post=56860642]
thanks... will the PSU supply 12 volts or 13-14v cos that what is required to charge a 12v lead acid battery....[/quote
12v is the highest this can supply but sometimes go to 12.7
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 8:11pm On May 25, 2017
am happy I have just gotten 1 like since my adventure to nl

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 8:28am On May 26, 2017
kennypedia:
am happy I have just gotten 1 like since my adventure to nl

since u hv gotten one what?
babe oku ?

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by pato405(m): 9:25am On May 26, 2017
kennypedia:

yes there are various brands its a dc step down . it is needed because the charger itself is 19v. any volt ranging from 12 to 13.4 is suitable for 12 v batt

Can you recommend a seller? I've searched for it everywhere.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 10:51am On May 26, 2017
pato405:

Can you recommend a seller? I've searched for it everywhere.
go to these radionics and electricians tell them you want to buy DC step down
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 10:54am On May 26, 2017
ceejay80s:

since u hv gotten one what? babe oku ?
I guess 1 pack of c way (nutri c)

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by pato405(m): 11:25am On May 26, 2017
kennypedia:

go to these radionics and electricians tell them you want to buy DC step down

Coupling the device with your Laptop charger is absolutely a much cheaper way to charge batteries than buying the overpriced suoer chargers and other funny chargers. I saw it for N2,500. There are some with capacity to output up to 20A!

OP, oya publicize to others. It's a good money saving mechanism. However, Solar panels have taken over as PHCN has vehemently refused to supply power. We've been in the dark for more than 4 days now in my area and my bad charger has worsened the matter. sad
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kennypedia(m): 11:53am On May 26, 2017
pato405:

Coupling the device with your Laptop charger is absolutely a much cheaper way to charge batteries than buying the overpriced suoer chargers and other funny chargers. I saw it for N2,500. There are some with capacity to output up to 20A!

OP, oya publicize to others. It's a good money saving mechanism. However, Solar panels have taken over as PHCN has vehemently refused to supply power. We've been in the dark for more than 4 days now in my area and my bad charger has worsened the matter. sad
Actually yes . most repairers don't actually know the device only few do. did you say u have gotten the step down?

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (356) (Reply)

Www.waptrick.com Download Game , Mp3, Music ,apps / Www.waptrick.com | Download Games | Music | Videos | Apps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.