Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? (41604 Views)

How The 12 Apostles Of Jesus Christ Died / The Book Of Enoch / Jesus Quoted It And So Did Apostles / When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Image123(m): 5:44pm On Jan 04, 2011
Zikkyy:

You keep repeating this post.

Don’t think you should go this route Image123. To assume a practice is biblical even though it was never recorded comes with some risk if accepted. One can simply adopt the same approach for other contentious practices we find in the various churches today. Nothing in the NT point to the need for believers to tithe. The apostles would easily pass as the first priest/pastors and I don’t see how you can make such inference from their activities and writings.
I believe i added two Bible verses. Deal with that.
Image123:

To the OP
I ask again, did Jesus and the apostles have their bathe? Prove it!
I thought i'd said it here before, but i'll say it again. That something wasn't 'written' in scriptures doesn't automatically mean that it didn't happen, or that it's false, or the assumption that scriptures must disagree by default. Jesus' obvious regard for the law should tell you that He FULFILLED it.
Matthew 5v17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
The same can be said for the apostles.
Acts 24v14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing ALL things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
Or are you insinuating that they broke the law? (seeing you can't see tithes as beyond the law).
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by ogajim(m): 5:53pm On Jan 04, 2011
Image123,

I don't know what part of the globe you are on but take it easy man(can I call you man?) You posted Scriptural verses that showed Jesus and the Apostles paying/give tithe? Kindly refresh my memory because I sure didn't see it anywhere.

Zikkyy:

Applicable? the concept can still be applicable. Nothing stop anybody from dedicating/offering a portion of his earnings (tenth, a third) or even everything to the Almighty (based on freewill).

A Christian requirement? NO.

There you have it folks, nothing more to add.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by melijah77: 3:19am On Jan 05, 2011
Hey image123, no offense, if I may call you brother, but I think using the question whether "Jesus and the apostles have their bathe?"is not a clear example b/c it does not connect to the law or things that pertain to sound doctrine, but I do understand your point. I'm quite sure alot of things they did that was less important and carnal was not in the scripture, but the most important is our spirit man receiving the correct law.

The scriptures are the only guideline and measuring tool that we go by in order to confirm what's lawfull and what's not lawfull and it's not for us to add or take away from the word of God by using such examples as the above question that you mention.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by melijah77: 4:02am On Jan 05, 2011
Matthew 5v17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

I thank GOD that right now according to the above scripture that we have the privilege through CHRIST to pass from the law b/c HE has already fulfilled the law and the prophets. We are under grace and truth of the HOLYSPIRIT that was proven in Acts with the first church. JESUS CHRIST fulfilled the Old Covenant and bridged the gap between OLD and NEW COVENANT WORSHIP. Now many that are stuck under the Old Covenant may cross over the bridge. The APOSTLES work of the ministry is greater than JESUS work of the ministry, remember, JESUS said, greater works yall shall do b/c I go to my FATHER. He have not destroyed the law as of now b/c many people are still stuck under it and HIS grace is preserving them until they cross over.

I Thank the question should be ask as: Did the APOSTLES collect tithes for themselves under the New Covenant?
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by melijah77: 5:14am On Jan 05, 2011
Acts 24v14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, BELIEVING ALL things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

Key word: Believing. There is a difference between believing and keeping. We as christians believe in all things that was written in the law and in the prophets, and tithing b/c that is what GOD allowed them to serve under at that time. We understand on today that we have a greater covenant than that of the law and the prophets that we serve under with better promises. Our new laws under the New Testament does not tell us we are curse with a curse b/c we don't pay tithes, but it allows us to give freely and cheerfully from the heart under the spirit of grace and truth according to what is needed by the leading of the Holyspirit. It is ok if a person want to pay tithes from the heart but it is not lawfull according to New Testament teachings. We only have 1 High Priest and HIS Priesthood is not carnal but spiritual. The Priesthood in heaven does not institute earthly tithing. In the old times they served under a earthly Priesthood b/c the heavenly Priesthood was not revealed unto them. Now it is revealed by CHRIST JESUS our LORD and HIGH PRIEST FOREVER. Only the gospel can lead us into the heavenly Priesthood if we remain obedient.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Image123(m): 8:40am On Jan 05, 2011
melijah77
While i may've wished to engage you in discussion as regards your t views, i'll prefer to stick to the issue for which i'm even discussing anything tithe on nl presently. The issue is 'DID JESUS OR THE APOSTLES PAY TITHE'. I've posted scriptures to SUGGEST that they did. Kindly deal in that context, fenk you.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Joagbaje(m): 8:58am On Jan 05, 2011
@ melijah77

. The Priesthood in heaven does not institute earthly tithing.
What about offerings.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Joagbaje(m): 8:59am On Jan 05, 2011
@ melijah77

. The Priesthood in heaven does not institute earthly tithing.

What about offerings?
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by melijah77: 12:53pm On Jan 06, 2011
I think the question should be ask as: Did the APOSTLES take tithes from the people of the TEMPLE under the NEW COVENANT?
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by GoodBoi1(m): 2:40pm On Jan 06, 2011
Even if they paid tithe or did not, TITHE IS NOT MONEY.
The name 'TITHE', used today should be replaced because pastors have right, according to 1 Cor 9.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Image123(m): 7:32pm On Jan 06, 2011
melijah77:

I think the question should be ask as: Did the APOSTLES take tithes from the people of the TEMPLE under the NEW COVENANT?
Joagbaje:

@ melijah77

What about offerings?

I like that fery much. It is a fine qweshion. But the OP's question is why i came hia. Nevertheless, don't be troubled, you can open up a free thread on your concerns. There seems to be effective crowd control on nl so thread opening is very free. People will join ya there, but i might not o, they don transfer mi comot for t matters dept.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by melijah77: 10:01pm On Jan 06, 2011
Hey Image123, Love ya' man. But I'll leave my last comment as whatever a person does from the heart is honored by GOD. GOD judges the heart, while man focus on the outward. God bless!
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by liarac: 10:50pm On Mar 09, 2011
No, they paid tax. In the new testament their were no tithes only free will giving. That why Ananias and Saphira was stroke dead from lying to the holy spirit. They said they was giving one thing and gave another. God want us to be true in our giving.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by liarac: 3:58am On Mar 15, 2011
Tithe Test

Take the following True or False quiz to see how much your really understand about tithing. I predict that many of you will be surprised. Record your answers.

______ 1. The Lord Jesus Christ would have tithed. True or False?

______ 2. Simon Peter, originally a fisherman, would have tithed of the fish that he caught. True or False?

______ 3. Everyone in the Old Testament seeking to obey the Law of Moses would have tithed. True or False?

______ 4. Abraham tithed to Melchizedek in the same way that believers tithe to the Lord Jesus Christ. True or False?

______ 5. The Lord Jesus Christ taught His disciples that they should tithe. True or False?

______ 6. There are many examples of people tithing of their incomes in the Bible. True or False?

______ 7. The New Testament teaches that we should tithe to ministers in the same way that Jews tithed to the Priests. True or False?

______ 8. The Bible teaches that God’s standard for giving is ten-percent. True or False?

______ 9. The righteous poor tithed in the Old Testament. True or False?

______ 10. Since everyone is held to the same standard, tithing is fair to everyone. True or False?

Bonus Question. The Bible teaches that everyone should give ten-percent of their ongoing income. True or False? __________
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by cleakoms: 5:08am On May 26, 2011
Hmmmm,  This is a very interesting topic and in my understanding, I don't think the new testament Christian are to pay tithes,

Please pray before you read this that God should open your eyes,  Everything here comes directly and purely from the scriptures wihtout mixing words and I pray that the Lord will Open our eyes of Understanding.

1,   Abraham was the first to give a tenth or tithe if we can call it that  ( Genesis 14:16-20)

17 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley).

18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying,

“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
   Creator of heaven and earth.
20 And praise be to God Most High,
   who delivered your enemies into your hand.”

Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

Lessong 1 . Abraham tithed the goods he recovered from the war and not his income, crops, animals or possessions to Melchizedek, 

2. God commanded that tithes should be given to the priests and the levites.  ( Numbers 18 :8-10,  14-20)

8 Then the LORD said to Aaron, “I myself have put you in charge of the offerings presented to me; all the holy offerings the Israelites give me I give to you and your sons as your portion, your perpetual share. 9 You are to have the part of the most holy offerings that is kept from the fire. From all the gifts they bring me as most holy offerings, whether grain or sin[a] or guilt offerings, that part belongs to you and your sons. 10 Eat it as something most holy; every male shall eat it. You must regard it as holy.

14 Everything in Israel that is devoted to the LORD is yours. 15 The first offspring of every womb, both human and animal, that is offered to the LORD is yours. But you must redeem every firstborn son and every firstborn male of unclean animals. 16 When they are a month old, you must redeem them at the redemption price set at five shekels[c] of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel, which weighs twenty gerahs.

17 “But you must not redeem the firstborn of a cow, a sheep or a goat; they are holy. Splash their blood against the altar and burn their fat as a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the LORD. 18 Their meat is to be yours, just as the breast of the wave offering and the right thigh are yours. 19 Whatever is set aside from the holy offerings the Israelites present to the LORD I give to you and your sons and daughters as your perpetual share. It is an everlasting covenant of salt before the LORD for both you and your offspring.”

20 The LORD said to Aaron, “You will have no inheritance in their land, nor will you have any share among them; I am your share and your inheritance among the Israelites.

These are what God promised the priest ( Levites from the house of Aaron) for their service to him.

" You can see from the above that Aaron's households are the ones that are to be priests and not all the levites are priests. Other Levites that are not from           the household of Aaron are to be ministers. God promised Aarons family these gifts above because of their position as the priest and he said they shall have no    inheritance in the land"

Lets us look at what God promised to the ordinary levites who were not priest but ordinary ministers because the priests were to come from the house of Aaron alone   (Numbers 18: 21-29)

21 “I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the tent of meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the tent of meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the tent of meeting and bear the responsibility for any offenses they commit against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’”

25 The LORD said to Moses, 26 “Speak to the Levites and say to them: ‘When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the LORD’s offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the LORD from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the LORD’s portion to Aaron the priest. 29 You must present as the LORD’s portion the best and holiest part of everything given to you.’

" From the reading above , you can see that the tithes of israelites is for the ordinary  Levites and not Levites that are priests (Aaron's generation). But look at verse 28, the Lord commanded the Levites ( Ordinary Levites) to give a tenth or tithes from the tithes they received from the Israelites to Aaron the priest. So in conclusion, the priests did not collect tithes from the Israelites but from the Levites,

3. The Israelites did not bring their tithes to the storehouse of God, they were to be collected by the Levites. It was the Levites who were to bring a tenth or tithes  from the tithes they collected from the Israelites to the storehouse,  (Nehemiah 10: 36-39)

36 “As it is also written in the Law, we will bring the firstborn of our sons and of our cattle, of our herds and of our flocks to the house of our God, to the priests ministering there.

37 “Moreover, we will bring to the storerooms of the house of our God, to the priests, the first of our ground meal, of our grain offerings, of the fruit of all our trees and of our new wine and olive oil. And we will bring a tithe of our crops to the Levites, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all the towns where we work. 38 A priest descended from Aaron is to accompany the Levites when they receive the tithes, and the Levites are to bring a tenth of the tithes up to the house of our God, to the storerooms of the treasury. 39 The people of Israel, including the Levites, are to bring their contributions of grain, new wine and olive oil to the storerooms, where the articles for the sanctuary and for the ministering priests, the gatekeepers and the musicians are also kept.

T[b]his is very interesting to me, in verse 37, Israelites only bring to the storeroom the first of their ground meal,  of grains offerings, of the fruits of all their trees and of their new wine and Olive oil but they were to give their tithes to the Levites. Take a close look at verse 38, it was the Levites that were commanded to bring a tenth of the tithes they collected to the storerooms of the house of God. [/b]

Lesson 2: From the above, you can see that

1. Tithes were only agricultural crops and animals and not money because they had money in those days and there were also people who worked as carpneters, lawyers, bricklayers, etc and we were not told they paid tithes

2. The tithes did not go to the priests, it went to the Levites. It was the Levites who in turn gave to the priest a tenth of the tithes they collected from the children of Israel.

3. It was the Levites who brought tithes to the storeroom of the house of God and not the Israelites ( Nehemiah  10: 38)

4. All these laws were given to Moses on mount Sinai to the Israelites (Leviticus 27). They are called the Mosaic laws

3. Why tithe is not money but only agricultural crops and animals. More proofs ( Leviticus 27: 30-34)

30 “‘A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD. 31 Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the LORD. 33 No one may pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If anyone does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.’”

34 These are the commands the LORD gave Moses at Mount Sinai for the Israelites.

As you can see from above verse 30 says tithes of everything from the Land and it explains it as you can see from the word of God. Verse 31 discouraged people from selling the tithe and bringing the money but it says if you would redeem or sell, you will pay a penalty by adding a fifth of the value to it. Let us examine verse 33. it says you cannot change the animal you bring for tithe, it must be the tenth animal either good or bad. If you want to change it, both the tenth animal and the one you exchanged it with becomes your tithe and they cannot be redeemed i.e you cannot sell and bring the monetary value.

4. The Malachi 3:10-12 story.

10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the LORD Almighty. 12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty.

This the book most new testament Christians use to condemn themselves.  Verse 10 says Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. from our readings(Neh 10:38 and Num 18:25-27), it's the levites that bring their tithes into the storehouse of God and not the Israelites. The tithes of the Israelites belong to Levites. So, the Malachi 3:10 is addressing the levites who refused to bring their tithes to the storehouse  of God under the levitical priesthood of the house of Aaron. These were all under the laws of Moses

[center]    Conclusions from the above[/center]

1. Priests do not collect tithes from the Israelites but from the Levites. Therefore, I don't think pastors have the right to collect tithes from church members

2. Tithes were agricultural products   and animals. People were also discouraged from paying their tithes with money by paying an extra fifth for agricultural products but for animals, they cannot be redeemed (Leviticus 27: 30-34).

3. Tithes does not only Go to the storehouse but the bible defines 3 different types of tithes. 1st, Tithes for the poor, levites, widows etc (Deuteronomy 26:12). 2nd, the feast tithe (Deuteronomy 14:22–23). 3rd was the Levitical tithe – Numbers 18:24. So, where did preachers get the 10% to the church from?

4. If you still feel you need to give tithe after reading all these, then give it the way the Lord commanded the Israelites according to the Mosiaic law. Give you tithes to levites( we can call them church cleaners, drivers, ushers, helpers and those who help the pastor in general). Then, the levites will then give a tenth or tithe  to the pastor. Don't forget the pastor is also to get the first fruits and all other gift offerings for sacrifices.

[center]Let me welcome you to the New Testament covenant and Giving[/center]

Galatians 3:2-14

2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?[a] 4 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[c]
7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”[d] 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”[e] 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”[f] 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”[g] 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”[h] 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

As you can see from verse 10, Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the book of Law and 11 says that the righteous shall live by faith and not laws. The laws  were rules given to Israelites before Jesus Christ died for US. verse 13 tells us that we are no longer under a curse because Jesus redeemed us from the curse of law by becoming a curse for us,  So, if you're scared of Malachi 3:10 despite the fact that it was the Levites that the bible spoke about, then I am sure you should be convinced by now that you are no longer under a curse.

Let us look at verse 28 of Galatians 3.

23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

Read it carefully, verse 25 says Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the guardian (Law)  as verse 24 described the law as our Guardian before Jesus christ came, So belovers, you're no longer under the curse of the law including tithes, animal sacrifices and offerings,

[center]Are you not convinced yet?. ok read on[/center]

[b]Open your bible to hebrews 7: 1-4
[/b]

1 This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3 Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.
4 Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! 5 Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites—even though they also are descended from Abraham.

Looking at verse 1, it described how Abraham gave a tenth to Melchizedek from the spoils of war as also noted in ( Genesis 14:16-20)
Now examine verse 5 closely. It says,  now the law( which is the law of Moses) requires the descendants of Levi who are priests to collect tenth from the people. This was a commandment laid down by God under the levitical priesthood.

Now let's go to verse 11-16. you can read it to the end in your bible.

11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. 13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. 14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.

reading verse 12, For when the Priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. There fellow Christians, we are under the priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ one in the Order of Melchizedek and not the levitical in the order of Aaron. So, it baffles when Christians are subjected to the levitical priesthood in order to pay tithes when the bible clearly tells us that we are under a new and a better priesthood which is not based on law but on faith.

[center]How are Christians to give[/center]

Infact there are so many places the apostles and christ spoke about giving. we were to give generously. let's take a look at some examples.

2 Cor 9:7, Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
   Tithe was under the law and it was compulsory, but we are to give not reluctantly or under compulsion

Matthew 25:31-46,  This tells us that giving is a very important aspect of our chrisitian life .Make sure you read this.Most christians think giving to church means giving to God, please read your bible and don't just listen to your pastors.  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path"
Psalm 119:105

Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

Proverbs 19:17  “He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.”

James 1:27  “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

1 cor 9: 11  If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? 12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?   But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.  13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Romans 12 : 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

[center]In conclusion[/center]

1. Jesus or the Apostles never commanded or spoke abou tithes in the New testament

2. We are under the priesthood of Jesus and not the levitical priesthood where people lived by laws

3. We are no more under the law but under grace and christ death took our curse away.

4. I am still worried as to where our bible believing churches got the doctrine of tithes from.

5. If you really believe in tithing, then give it as the Lord as commanded in the old testament so that you will not be guilty of the law

6. Some may say but i give tithe and God blesses me. My answer is that the are only operating under the natural law of giving. If you give, you will receive either you're a christian, muslim or a pagan,

[center]So, Fellow New testament christian, stop TITHING and start GIVING[/center]
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Azibalua(f): 7:34am On May 26, 2011
reading verse 12, For when the Priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. There fellow Christians, we are under the priesthood of our Lord Jesus Christ [b]one in the Order of Melchizedek [/b]and not the levitical in the order of Aaron. So, it baffles when Christians are subjected to the levitical priesthood in order to pay tithes when the bible clearly tells us that we are under a new and a better priesthood which is not based on law

Abraham paid tithes to melchisedek before the law came into being,you have shown that christ came in the order of Melchizedek according to scriptures
Therefore tithing is a principle of god instituted before the law
When the law was abolished tithing was not because it existed far before the law
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Zikkyy(m): 8:35am On May 26, 2011
Azibalua:

Abraham paid tithes to melchisedek before the law came into being,you have shown that christ came in the order of Melchizedek according to scriptures
When the law was abolished tithing was not because it existed far before the law

It was instituted before the law abi angry  who instituted tithe before the law God or man angry Since he came in the order of Melchizedek angry Jesus has no option, he must follow precedence and collect tithe, cos the man that once occupied his post collected tithe angry Please note that nobody collected tithe on behalf of Melchizedek, he was collecting his tithe himself (no proxy) smiley So, if you believe Christ is of similar or equal status with Melchizedek, i guess Jesus should be collecting his tithe himself angry
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by cleakoms: 11:35am On May 26, 2011
Azibalua:

@Azibalua, the word of God is so simple and we christians decided to complicate it,

No 1. Did Abraham pay tithes from His income or his lands, fruits, crops or animals?, No. He gave from the spoils of war

No 2. open your bible to Hebrews 7: 8-10

8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9 One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10 because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.

If you want to defend your point based on the fact that abraham paid tithes, you can see from above especially in verse 9 that Abraham was compared to Levites who gave a tenth to the priest and not the children of Israelites,

So Mr or Mrs Azabalua, are you a levite?, if yes, then you're not allowed any inheritance in the land because the Lord commmanded it.

No 3. If tithing predates the law as you have claimed, then start tithing as the Lord commanded and not as your pastor teaches. pay all you 3 tithes, 1 for the poor, 2 for the festival and 3 for the levitical priests.

No 4. If you or your pastor claim to be a priest, then collect your tithes from the levites because the tithes of the people of Israel does not go to the priest but to the Levites who will in turn give a tenth to the priest.

No 5. So, where did you get the idea that your 10% goes to the church or pastor?, i need bible verses,

My brother or sister, i know it can be very hard to know that all you have been taught all your life  about tithes and how it's given is not completely true. I was taught like you as well, but the bible says 1 Thess 5: 21 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil,

It's just a pity that we no longer feed from the word of God in its raw form, we only feed from our local churches and pastors,
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by otitokoro1: 1:00pm On May 26, 2011
I feel the issues about tithe in today's Christianity are "the definition" and "the application".
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by cleakoms: 1:31pm On May 26, 2011
otitokoro1:

I feel the issues about tithe in today's Christianity are "the definition" and "the application".

Nice comment Otitikoro, but the issue is about following the word of God because so many people could be led astray due to false doctrine and that's why we must be on guard. We must uphold the teachings of christ and not our pastor's or church's doctrines
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by liarac: 2:49am On Nov 02, 2011
Cleakom, well written. I like how you use the bible to interpreted itself. So many people had misunderstood tithing, and to justify they paying tithes they use Abraham, but what they don't understand is that the bible recorded Abraham paying tithes once and that was not from his property or possession. In fact Abraham did not kept none of what was won from war. Jacob made a vow to God that he would give God a tithe, but he never honor that vow.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Ozegbe(m): 5:03pm On Nov 02, 2011
Woe to you, teachers of the law and
Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give
a tenth of your spices-mint, dill and
cummin. But you have neglected the
more important matters of the law-
justice, mercy and faithfulness. You
should have practiced the latter,
without neglecting the former. -
Matthew 23:23
First notice that the tithe is a tenth of
their spice crop, not ten percent of
their monetary earnings (see earlier
about Leviticus 27:30 "A tithe of
everything from the land, "wink.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Portra777: 7:08pm On Mar 15, 2012
"You should have practiced the latter,
without neglecting the former." Matthew 23:23

It is important to note that Jesus was in no way endorsing
a tithe on gross income (where can any reference in the scriptures be
found that asks Believers to tithe on gross income? False teachers, who
twist scripture preach this from pulpits. These are those teachers who
do not "rightly dived the word of truth."wink. Jesus was dealing with an
attitude of worship and service unto God. To worship and serve
God is to give justice, mercy and faith. When Jesus told them that they
should have practiced these without neglecting the others, He was
exhorting them to understand that the law was not simply a set of
rules, but also a means by which God's name would be know to the world
of their time. Justice, Mercy and Faith are characteristics of God, and
the Hebrew people had a responsibility to follow ALL the law, not simply the parts
of the law the benefits themselves. HOW IN THE WORLD COULD ONE HONESTLY INTERPRET MATT. 23:23
TO BE ABOUT NEW COVENANT TITHING? AN INTERPRETATION THAT MAKES THIS VERSE OUT TO BE
ABOUT TITHING IS NOTHING MORE THAN A PERVERSION OF SCRIPTURE. PLEASE PASTORS, ASK THE HOLY SPIRIT
FOR GUIDANCE BEFORE SIMPLY REGURGITATING THINGS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TAUGHT BY THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN
BLINDED BY FALSE RELIGION OR THOSE TRUSTING ONLY IN MONEY OR THOSE WHO HAVE A LOVE OF MONEY. TRUE
BLESSING IS NOW, FOR THE NEW COVENANT BELIEVER WRAPPED IN THE PRINCIPLE OF SOWING AND REAPING. IF
WE SOW MUCH, WE WILL BE BLESSED MUCH, AND IF WE SOW LITTLE, WE WILL BE BLESSED LITTLE. THIS DOES NOT
MEAN THAT WE WILL NOT BE BLESSED IF WE DON'T GIVE REGULARLY. IT MEANS THAT WHEN WE DO GIVE, THE MEASURE
WE USE WILL BE MEASURED BACK TO US IN BLESSINGS. NOW WHO SAID THIS, I WONDER?
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Ptolomeus(m): 7:36pm On Mar 15, 2012
cleakoms:

@Azibalua, the word of God is so simple and we christians decided to complicate it,

No 1. Did Abraham pay tithes from His income or his lands, fruits, crops or animals?, No. He gave from the spoils of war

No 2. open your bible to Hebrews 7: 8-10

8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9 One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10 because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.

If you want to defend your point based on the fact that abraham paid tithes, you can see from above especially in verse 9 that Abraham was compared to Levites who gave a tenth to the priest and not the children of Israelites,

So Mr or Mrs Azabalua, are you a levite?, if yes, then you're not allowed any inheritance in the land because the Lord commmanded it.

No 3. If tithing predates the law as you have claimed, then start tithing as the Lord commanded and not as your pastor teaches. pay all you 3 tithes, 1 for the poor, 2 for the festival and 3 for the levitical priests.

No 4. If you or your pastor claim to be a priest, then collect your tithes from the levites because the tithes of the people of Israel does not go to the priest but to the Levites who will in turn give a tenth to the priest.

No 5. So, where did you get the idea that your 10% goes to the church or pastor?, i need bible verses,

My brother or sister, i know it can be very hard to know that all you have been taught all your life  about tithes and how it's given is not completely true. I was taught like you as well, but the bible says 1 Thess 5: 21 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil,

It's just a pity that we no longer feed from the word of God in its raw form, we only feed from our local churches and pastors,

An excellent explanation, and there are hundreds of explanations but in the Bible.
Anyway, no one so blind as those who will not see ...
Tithing involves the support of the pastor, the pastor progress economically at the expense of those who are deceived, so there are people who must defend the lie at all costs, even they change the meaning of the Bible!
There will be a greater sin than that?
The discussion will continue, because the "sharks" not easily leave their prey ...
My congratulations.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 15, 2012
What about the fact that the tithe was suppose to be eaten by the tither in the presence of God?

Deu 14:23 Bring your tithe into the Presence of GOD, your God, at the place he designates for worship and there eat the tithe from your grain, wine, and oil and the firstborn from your herds and flocks. In this way you will learn to live in deep reverence before GOD, your God, as long as you live.

Deu 14:24 But if the place GOD, your God, designates for worship is too far away and you can't carry your tithe that far, GOD, your God, will still bless you:

Deu 14:25 exchange your tithe for money and take the money to the place GOD, your God, has chosen to be worshiped.

Deu 14:26 Use the money to buy anything you want: cattle, sheep, wine, or beer--anything that looks good to you. You and your family can then feast in the Presence of GOD, your God, and have a good time.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:52pm On Mar 16, 2012
In this thread already have sufficient evidence that tithing is not applicable from the New Testament. Despite that, its advocates are citing the Old Testament ... a contradiction to who calls himself "Christian"
If we agree to talk of Abraham and Melchizedek to refer to the tithe, we must also accept that the Old Testament God commanded to kill a lamb and sprinkle its blood on the walls of the temple.
Leviticus 1:5 He shall kill the bull `` before the LORD: and the priests the sons of Aaron offered the blood and sprinkle on all sides of the altar at the entrance of the tent of meeting.
Leviticus 14:13 Then he shall kill the lamb slaughtered in the place where the sin offering and the burnt offering in the holy place, because the guilt offering, like the sin offering, belongs to the priest is everything Blessed.

Gentlemen ... if you appreciate Christians who claim the death of Jesus as the last offering, value the New Testament as change. No more sacrifices, no more tithes.
But if you continue to cling to the payment of tithing (which is explained here that does not match) then begin for lambs and oxen to sacrifice to God.
For the absurd, and hopefully end up quoting the Old Testament, and at least to reason ...
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by garyarnold(m): 8:18pm On Apr 29, 2012
This blog, as well as many other tithing blogs, show how ignorant so many church goers really are. It really saddens me to see all this confusion.

Those who say tithing was before the law, and use Abram as the example, consider the following:

Did God instigate tithing before the law? Abram gave a tenth of the war spoils. IF God had instigated this tithe, then God cancelled it later on, since under the Mosaic laws, there was no tithing on war spoils. Instead, God required only 1.1%.

Conclusion: Either God instigated the tithe before the law and later cancelled it, OR God did not instigate the tithe before the law.

NO ONE follows Abram's one-time example today. There is NO example of Abram giving a tenth of his income.

To say that tithing was before the law and then a part of the law is a flat out lie BECAUSE the tithing before the law in no way resembles the tithing laws.

You don't get a tithing "principle" when there is ONE example before the law. That is pure nonsense.

Pastors never seem to explain the truth about the Biblical tithe.

First, ONLY those who inherited the promised land with everything on it were commanded to tithe. In other words, God GAVE to them their land and all buildings already on that land, including houses, barns, etc. No mortgage payment. No rent payment. Free and clear. Then God said He reserved a tenth of the crops and animals that HE would increase. He gave them the land and buildings, and then the crops and animals, but reserved, for Himself, a tenth of the crops and animals. He gave them their home and their job! He never asked them to pay Him a tenth of any money they earned; i.e. from selling the food from the crops and animals, or from bartering the crops and animals, or from any other income or earnings.

He then gave His tenth to the Levites as their inheritance, instead of land ownership, and the Levites were to work at the Temple. They actually worked at the Temple about two weeks per year on a rotational basis.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if today God gave each of us a piece of land with a house on it, free and clear, and only required us to pay Him a tenth of what we earn? That would be a great deal for most of us.

What tithing was in Biblical times and how the church teaches tithing today is like comparing apples to automobiles. It is like comparing a gift to a debt. There is nothing common between the two other than tenth.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by DeepSight(m): 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2012
@ Garyarnorld, I dont think I have ever seen you comment on a non-tithe topic. Whats the obsession?
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by garyarnold(m): 11:01pm On Apr 29, 2012
Deep Sight:
@ Garyarnorld, I dont think I have ever seen you comment on a non-tithe topic. Whats the obsession?

Since I am a Money & Finance Minister, this is my specialty. I don't feel anyone needs to know my "opinion" on a topic that I am not qualified to comment on. Opinions really don't matter. It is God's Word that matters. I stick to the Word, not opinions or man-made doctrine.

My material is being used to teach from by pastors and Bible Study instructors in the US, Canada, Australia, and East Africa, that I know of. I stick to what I know, not what I might think I know because someone told me so.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by procedure: 4:52pm On May 02, 2012
Jesus and his disciples could not have paid tithes becos they do not have any inheritance they were not working they lived by gift from men.
Re: Did Jesus And The Apostles Paid Tithe? by Flashxy: 5:19pm On Sep 03, 2013
I'll try as much as possible to put a satisfactory end to this post, though i know it's a very old one. First, here is the ORIGIN of tithe itself (Deutronomy 14:22-28). I know anyone who is against tithing would like it. But here is the most commonly quoted verse on tithing: (malachi 3:6-12), which is fully understood by reading the first verse. And lastly, in order to prove that God demands giving not just as an obligation but as a command (though not mentioned as one-tenth, but still a COMMAND from Christ himself to give), read 1 corinthians 9:13 & 14. But i prefer you start from verse 1. It'll be fully understood. Let us stop arguing with mere words of men's reasoning, because there are no limits to that. The scripture is here for us as a standard for everything we want to know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Sent Out Of Palm Sunday Mass In Delta State / Buhari’s Ministerial List Shows That He Belongs To Somebody – Cardinal Okogie / Reigners Church Building Collapse: I Don’t Want To Be A Bishop Again - Akan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.