Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? (2244 Views)

Space For A C#/asp. Net Programmer On Our Development Team / Free Csharp, Mvc, Jquery And More Tutorials Online / C# Asp.net Or Php (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? by Raypawer(m): 12:05pm On Jul 08, 2015
My idea might be very wired but am just thinking,

is it possible to create an app with asp.net mvc but to start up the app you use an exe created with C# to start it.

my thought is that, clients install .exe file from the internet, when they lunch the app on their pc, the exe app will fire up the web app with random port numbers just like the way it is done while debugging the mvc app on visual studio..

please is there any possibility for this? how can this be achieved..
Re: Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? by blenyo11(m): 2:14pm On Jul 08, 2015
You can host your site on IIS
Your exe cam download the site content and store in say d:\\MySite
then
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1286831/programatically-create-a-web-site-in-iis-using-c-sharp-and-set-port-number

but if you want to build a simple web server then
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/742260/Simple-Web-Server-in-csharp
should be a starting point.
Re: Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? by Raypawer(m): 2:40pm On Jul 08, 2015
ur right but its more like a self hosting app or may i say a standalone asp.net mvc4 web app.. just something, don't know if its possible, am still checking on nuget packages if something like that exists...

blenyo11:
You can host your site on IIS
Your exe cam download the site content and store in say d:\\MySite
then
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1286831/programatically-create-a-web-site-in-iis-using-c-sharp-and-set-port-number

but if you want to build a simple web server then
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/742260/Simple-Web-Server-in-csharp
should be a starting point.
Re: Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 08, 2015
Raypawer:
ur right but its more like a self hosting app or may i say a standalone asp.net mvc4 web app.. just something, don't know if its possible, am still checking on nuget packages if something like that exists...

why not use silverlight and save urself the stress, since it will run on a web browser.......

1 Like

Re: Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? by henryexe: 8:01pm On Jul 08, 2015
The solution is to selfhost but as at mvc5 self hosting is not supported unless you want to go mvc6 and selfhost using OWIN. Another route you might take is build your app in web api which you can selfhost. But your UI will be JS based all through. Your web api will just be serving JSON. I did something like this when I needed to decouple a CBT app from IIS and make it easy to setup and run. Angular should be a good choice for the UI part. Worked out well for me. I'll also advice you use SQL Compact for data storage.
Re: Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? by Raypawer(m): 9:18pm On Jul 09, 2015
Thanks man.. although I never thought of Web api, but now am thinking of using Web api then alongside use node and angular JS with it.. with mongo db or there about. But I also found something interesting about cassini web server..

Pls i'll like to contact you, my email is excelv7atgmaildotcom

henryexe:
The solution is to selfhost but as at mvc5 self hosting is not supported unless you want to go mvc6 and selfhost using OWIN. Another route you might take is build your app in web api which you can selfhost. But your UI will be JS based all through. Your web api will just be serving JSON. I did something like this when I needed to decouple a CBT app from IIS and make it easy to setup and run. Angular should be a good choice for the UI part. Worked out well for me. I'll also advice you use SQL Compact for data storage.
Re: Is This Possible With C# Asp.net Mvc, And How? by Raypawer(m): 1:57am On May 24, 2016
After almost a year, knowledge has greatly increased, i now realised that this possible using the asp.net web api, self hosting it. On the other hand, Golang has this functionality also... for those who might want to try, go ahead, dont be scared.. thats programming for you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Data Science / Halide: A New Language For Image Processing And Computational Photography / The Sad Truth About Programming Career In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.