Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,005 members, 7,866,807 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:44 AM

Disgrace, Drama As ‘kidnapped’ Briton Refuses Rescue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disgrace, Drama As ‘kidnapped’ Briton Refuses Rescue (681 Views)

Drama As Senators Screen Lai Mohammed (Video) / Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard / Drama As Tambuwal Joins Federal Republic Of Nigeria Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Disgrace, Drama As ‘kidnapped’ Briton Refuses Rescue by Afaukwu: 5:03pm On Mar 06, 2009
http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200903061352953

Drama as ‘kidnapped’ Briton refuses rescue
By Toyosi Ogunseye
Published: Friday, 6 Mar 2009
The police in Lagos and the British High Commission are at the crossroads over what to do in the case of an alleged ‘kidnap‘ of a British woman that occurred on Thursday.

Skip to next paragraph

Agency
Linda

The ‘kidnap’ turned out not to be a straightforward snatch.

THE PUNCH, on Thursday morning, received information that the woman, Linda Oladipo, had alerted the commission to her situation on Wednesday night. She had complained that her husband of three months, Qudus Oladipo, was holding her hostage at No. 6, Taiwo Oshipitan Way, Ifako, Agege, Lagos.

When policemen at the Pen Cinema Police Station, Agege, were informed about the development, six of them, in company with our correspondent, visited the house.

On getting there, the guard refused to open the gate for the police. He claimed that there was no one by the name, Oladipo, in the house.

Thinking that the policemen had gone, the guard later flung the gate open for some visitors to leave. The policemen seized the opportunity and entered the house where Oladipo was promptly arrested.

It was when Linda and her husband were taken to the police station that the real drama began.

When one of the police officers asked her if she reported that her husband held her hostage, she said, ”I called the British High Commission on Wednesday evening that my husband refused to let me go out. He locked me in the house and told the guard not to let me out.

“I felt I should be able to leave the house when I like, so I called the commission to rescue me. But now, I know that my husband asked the guard not to allow me leave the house for my own good.

“I‘ve been very ill and I once fell on the road when I went out on my own. When I called the embassy, I felt my husband had no right to ask the guard to shut the gate.”

When an official of the commission( name withheld), in company with three riot policemen in two white sports utility vehicles got to the station with the aim of returning Linda to England, the official was surprised to hear that she was not willing to leave.

He said, ”I can‘t believe this; Linda called our embassy yesterday night that her husband was holding her hostage. She was sobbing and begging us to rescue her. She even gave us the address of the house. I spoke extensively with her and told her to get her luggage ready because we were going to rescue her the following day. I‘m surprised. But if she calls us again, nobody will listen to her.”

The official revealed that Linda‘s family in England had called the commission to report that their daughter had been kidnapped by a Nigerian.

”Linda‘s family members have been calling us for three weeks. They alleged that she was very sick and had been held captive by a Nigerian,” the official said.

Linda, 48, confirmed that she called the commission, ”It‘s true that I‘m ill. I have a liver and heart disease. I‘m also diabetic. I called the embassy because I wanted to go out of the house but my husband had instructed the guard not to let me out.”

After further questioning, Linda, who is already a grandmother, said that she would only allow the commission to rescue her if the officials could buy her a ticket.

The male official, however, declined the request saying, ”The commission cannot buy a ticket for you. It is against our regulations. However, someone in your family has made a provision for that. In fact, your brother, who is a policeman in Britain, is going to buy a ticket for you if you follow us.”

She declined the offer. According to her, she has not seen her brother in the last 10 years.

”My family members are not happy that I‘m married to a Nigerian. That is why they told the embassy that I‘ve been kidnapped. My brother can keep his money. I hope to travel to England on Monday next week, ” she said.

Linda is hoping that her husband‘s brother would buy the ticket, ”My birthday is on Sunday. I want to celebrate it with my husband. I hope to travel to England for a short holiday and my brother-in-law has promised to buy a ticket for me.”

Oladipo, 31, said, ”How can I kidnap my wife? I love her and she loves me too.”

The police have since released botth Linda and her husband.
Re: Disgrace, Drama As ‘kidnapped’ Briton Refuses Rescue by RICHIEBOI1(m): 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2009
sounds like this lady needs phycological evaluation. grin

(1) (Reply)

Get Barack Obama's Books Free? / Man Sends Aids Blood To Obama: This Is True! / Why Nigerians Are Investing In Ghana By Vice-president Mahama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.