Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,382 members, 7,836,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Let's Learn Swahili - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Let's Learn Swahili (15236 Views)

Let's Learn Sign Language / What Do They Call Twins In Your Tribe: Let's Learn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 15, 2015
soilsista:
Hujambo. Jina langu ni Tumi. Ninatoka South Africa. Shuuu it's been long man!! I even forgot about this
You are a fast learner,

Umesoma haraka
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 4:53pm On Sep 15, 2015
muafrika:

You are a fast learner,

Umesoma haraka
Asante sana. I try cheesy

Please translate the bolded part...
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 15, 2015
soilsista:

Asante sana. I try cheesy

Please translate the bolded part...
It means you have learnt fast,

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 16, 2015
muafrika:

It means you have learnt fast,
Mlipotelea wapi mkiwa na gallivant? The place has become too boring without my fellow countryfolk sad
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2015
pkjag:
Mlipotelea wapi mkiwa na gallivant? The place has become too boring without my fellow countryfolk sad
So, when are we writing our test? cool
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2015
soilsista:

So, when are we writing our test? cool
Haha, aki i've been so busy, that I only get time to make one stop visits, maybe will come around in the weekend.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 12:04am On Sep 19, 2015
pkjag:
Nilipoteza pass word ya Email. Nilikuwa nikifollow kama guest once in a While.
Gallivant labda ameenda majuu kutuletea picha zingine.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 19, 2015
muafrika:

Nilipoteza pass word ya Email. Nilikuwa nikifollow kama guest once in a While.
Gallivant labda ameenda majuu kutuletea picha zingine.
Waah, that's stressing even thinking about it, e-mail connects every profile on the net, sasa ulirecover aje?
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 19, 2015
pkjag:

Waah, that's stressing even thinking about it, e-mail connects every profile on the net, sasa ulirecover aje?
True,
Ilikuwa hard kutumia phone kurecover lakini nilipo try na desktop baadaye ika faulu.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by soilsista(f): 2:58pm On Sep 24, 2015
pkjag:

Haha, aki i've been so busy, that I only get time to make one stop visits, maybe will come around in the weekend.
We'll be waiting...
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by truenyaks(f): 7:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
pkjag:

What's confusing, please specify?
I'm Kenyan, and I would like to clarify that when one says "naomba uondoke" it means "I request you to leave" and not I pray.. which is a direct translation.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 12, 2015
truenyaks:

I'm Kenyan, and I would like to clarify that when one says "naomba uondoke" it means "I request you to leave" and not I pray.. which is a direct translation.
True truenyaks, i directly translated there, please feel free to contribute more, I cannot be teaching all this on my own.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 3:44am On Nov 16, 2015
Swahili numbers, fromhttps:
haikudeck.com

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Pidggin(f): 7:23am On Nov 16, 2015
Hello, i commend your effort on exporting your language. Good thing some poeple like me are interested, but while you are teaching us your language I hope you are also making effort to learn ours, I have not seen any of your monikers in our language threads.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
Pidggin:
Hello, i commend your effort on exporting your language. Good thing some poeple like me are interested, but while you are teaching us your language I hope you are also making effort to learn ours, I have not seen any of your monikers in our language threads.
Ok, i understand a little pidgin from the many naija movies I've watched while growing up and the many music videos that get played here, so am well covered grin

3 Likes

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by AyoniAye: 7:20am On Jan 29, 2016
Pidggin:

I am Nigerian. Its quite uneducated to state that Kiswahili is the language of Kenya or Tanzania. Basic research will show that Kiswahili is a Bantu language which is a branch of the Niger-Congo language family. There is no ethnic group that lays claim to Kiswahili; it is simply the language of the African people. This is in sharp contrast to, for example, Yoruba or Igbo which--despite being members of the Niger-Congo language family--is strictly the language of the Yoruba/Igbo people. PKJAG, as a teacher (and might I add a superb one) you need to educate more Africans who are interested in [/i]our[i] language on the African origins and that it is not restricted to a specific ethnic group like nearly all indigenous African languages are. When better educated, I have no doubt that all Africans will seek to learn Kiswahili for purposes of greater unity, rather than European colonial languages. Asante sana!!

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 10:30pm On Feb 01, 2016
AyoniAye:

I am Nigerian. Its quite uneducated to state that Kiswahili is the language of Kenya or Tanzania. Basic research will show that Kiswahili is a Bantu language which is a branch of the Niger-Congo language family. There is no ethnic group that lays claim to Kiswahili; it is simply the language of the African people. This is in sharp contrast to, for example, Yoruba or Igbo which--despite being members of the Niger-Congo language family--is strictly the language of the Yoruba/Igbo people. PKJAG, as a teacher (and might I add a superb one) you need to educate more Africans who are interested in [/i]our[i] language on the African origins and that it is not restricted to a specific ethnic group like nearly all indigenous African languages are. When better educated, I have no doubt that all Africans will seek to learn Kiswahili for purposes of greater unity, rather than European colonial languages. Asante sana!!

Actually the waSwahili tribe does exist although it is highly conflated, but they number less than 2 million, they do speak the language as their first language, but the distinction sadly ends there because no one seems to agree who these people are. In the Kenyan and Tanzanian coast where there are dozens of Swahili dialects and accents, there are bantu tribes who speak their own coastal bantu languages in addition to Swahili, and there are also those who only speak Swahili may be because they were assimilated or lost their languages due to this.

Now the dispute comes in between those who are primarily Swahili speakers and those who speak a very close form of Swahili. Yeah and some East African Arabs too claim that they are the real Swahili speakers.

But if you ask me, the real ones are the ones found in Lamu island in the Northern coast of Kenya. They speak the most ancient dialect of Swahili which is a bit different from the standard one that we use today (which comes a little far south in Zanzibar island). BTW Even the Comoro language in the Comoros islands is kinda like a Swahili dialect.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 4:33am On Feb 02, 2016
pkjag:

Actually the waSwahili tribe does exist although it is highly conflated, but they number less than 2 million, they do speak the language as their first language, but the distinction sadly ends there because no one seems to agree who these people are. In the Kenyan and Tanzanian coast where there are dozens of Swahili dialects and accents, there are bantu tribes who speak their own coastal bantu languages in addition to Swahili, and there are also those who only speak Swahili may be because they were assimilated or lost their languages due to this.

Now the dispute comes in between those who are primarily Swahili speakers and those who speak a very close form of Swahili. Yeah and some East African Arabs too claim that they are the real Swahili speakers.

But if you ask me, the real ones are the ones found in Lamu island in the Northern coast of Kenya. They speak the most ancient dialect of Swahili which is a bit different from the standard one that we use today (which comes a little far south in Zanzibar island). BTW Even the Comoro language in the Comoros islands is kinda like a Swahili dialect.
There is a tribe in the Congo that speaks a Swahili dialect too as their first language.

It would seem lie AyoniAye says that Swahili was a widely distributed language long before our colonial days.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 02, 2016
Muafrika2:

There is a tribe in the Congo that speaks a Swahili dialect too as their first language.

It would seem lie AyoniAye says that Swahili was a widely distributed language long before our colonial days.
Really, haven't heard of them, maybe it's the Arab slave traders who were left there after colonization and intermarried with the local tribes.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 02, 2016
pkjag:

Really, haven't heard of them, maybe it's the Arab slave traders who were left there after colonization and intermarried with the local tribes.

Have you heard a documentary based in Congo in which they speak some kind of Swahili that's very different grammatically? That's the one. You heard words with Alot of the prefix "ba".
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Kenyanna: 9:16pm On Feb 02, 2016
AyoniAye:

The Waswahili are an actual tribe.

pkjag:

People in Eastern Congo adopted Swahili because they are culturally & geographically closer to Tanzanians than lingala speaking Kinshasa. Many of them have lived in Tanzania as refugees for many years & returned to Congo speaking swahili.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 02, 2016
Kenyanna:

The Waswahili are an actual tribe.

People in Eastern Congo adopted Swahili because they are culturally & geographically closer to Tanzanians than lingala speaking Kinshasa. Many of them have lived in Tanzania as refugees for many years & returned to Congo speaking swahili.
Yeah i know the guys but I don't think Muafrika was talking about them, you see before the colonial expansion, the Zanzibari arabs/swahili traders went as far inland as the DRC to trade slaves and ivory, some got left, some returned and inter-married and that's why the eastern congolese guys speak Swahili.

Now what Muafrika's saying is that there's an actual tribe that speaks the coastal version of Swahili which we both know is spoken only on the east african coast, those eastern congolese guys just speak with the typical mainland Tanzanian accent, I would be very surprised if i visited a villlage/town in Eastern DRC where everybody spoke with the beautiful and melodious coastal swahili accent shocked shocked.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 02, 2016
Muafrika2:

Have you heard a documentary based in Congo in which they speak some kind of Swahili that's very different grammatically? That's the one. You heard words with Alot of the prefix "ba".

Oh ni hawo, but that's how they speak even in Kinshasa and Kisangani although not as proficiently as the ones in the Eastern DRC. Though there are a few who speak quite fluently without that funny accent, I think they are the ones who live hapo near Lake Tanganyika. And also some Burundian and Rwandese people.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 4:27am On Feb 03, 2016
pkjag:

Oh ni hawo, but that's how they speak even in Kinshasa and Kisangani although not as proficiently as the ones in the Eastern DRC. Though there are a few who speak quite fluently without that funny accent, I think they are the ones who live hapo near Lake Tanganyika. And also some Burundian and Rwandese people.
Yeah, though am not sure of their precise identity. Their Swahili dialect should be the one called Kiungwana or Kitanga.

It may be an adopted language as Kenyanna suggests, but not that recent.
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by nguvumali: 1:28pm On Feb 03, 2016
pkjag:
Mkuu na huku upo, furaha kukuona
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 03, 2016
nguvumali:

Mkuu na huku upo, furaha kukuona
Haha grin huyu ni nani tena, hebu jitambulishe grin
Re: Let's Learn Swahili by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 03, 2016
Muafrika2:

Yeah, though am not sure of their precise identity. Their Swahili dialect should be the one called Kiungwana or Kitanga.

It may be an adopted language as Kenyanna suggests, but not that recent.
Oh yes i've heard about the Kiungwana, always wondered how congolese musicians like Angela Chibalonza and Solomon Mkubwa spoke so fluently maybe ni hawo.

1 Like

Re: Let's Learn Swahili by nguvumali: 1:07pm On Jul 11, 2017
mimi nguvumali wa Kibiti mkoani Lindi

Haha grin huyu ni nani tena, hebu jitambulishe grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Aare Ona Kakanfo In Yoruba Land / Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included) / What Were Yorubas Called Before The 19th Century?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.