Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans (1757 Views)

How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? / Google Trader Nigeria To Compete With Dealfish, Tradestable, Nairalist / How To Get Small, Short-term Loans In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by 4Play(m): 9:04pm On Mar 06, 2009
Nigeria is drawing up plans to defend the country’s banking system amid fears that bad loans racked up during a frenzy of stock market speculation could put some lenders in danger.

Chukwuma Soludo, the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, told the Financial Times that the government was looking at creating an asset management company backed by state and private funds that could offer to buy bad debts.

But he dismissed calls from foreign investors for greater disclosure among Nigerian banks to reveal the true scale of their losses on the stock exchange, which has lost 60 per cent of its value in the past year.

“We don’t even need them to start with,” Mr Soludo said. “The foreign investors do not matter in this discussion. What they think does not matter to us. What matters first and foremost is what Nigerian investors think and what they do.”

His comments may surprise fund managers who had come to regard Mr Soludo as one of the champions of a process of economic reform begun under the previous government, which helped to transform Nigeria into a credible frontier ­market.

The governor, who has repeatedly offered assurances that the banking system is solid, said he would act if any individual bank suffered a shock.

“Any time, any day, a bank could run into trouble, anywhere in the world,” he said. “You have a plan in place to be able to take the bank out of the system and make sure it doesn’t cause a contagion, it doesn’t snowball into a systemic crisis.”

Nigerian officials have increasingly laid the blame for the collapse of the market on foreign investors who withdrew their money at the height of the credit crunch. The director-general of the Nigerian Stock Exchange was quoted by local newspapers last month as referring to such investors as “financial prostitutes”.

Standard Bank says international portfolios withdrew $3.1bn (€2.5bn, £2.2bn) from the Lagos stock market from August to December. But it estimates that international funds never held more than 15-20 per cent of total market capitalisation.

Many in the Lagos financial community argue that Nigerian regulators bear a greater share of responsibility for allowing reckless lending among banks for share purchases that inflated a classic asset bubble. The subsequent rout has fuelled speculation that Mr Soludo will not be reappointed by Umaru Yar’Adua, the president, when his term expires in May.

Mr Soludo argues that even if all the banks’ exposure to the stock market had to be written off then capital adequacy ratios would still remain at a healthy 15 per cent, higher than in many western countries.

But analysts say a lack of transparency among Nigerian banks makes it hard to be sure. Mr Soludo has put their exposure to the stock market at about 900bn naira ($6bn, €4.8bn, £4.3bn). Renaissance Capital estimates the figure to be 1,000bn naira, or 20 per cent of loans.

Stocks in some banks have shed at least 70 per cent of their value since last March. A slowdown caused by falling prices for Nigeria’s oil exports is likely to create additional pressure.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e4fab94a-09c4-11de-add8-0000779fd2ac.html
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by MrCrackles(m): 9:13pm On Mar 06, 2009
Well true with the whole transparency thing!

The true state of health of Nigerian banks is hard to determine

I dont agree with Soludo that the banking system is solid

And i dont really agree with him opposing the call from foreign investors
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Ibime(m): 9:19pm On Mar 06, 2009
OMG!

What recklessness!

Soludo is now a confirmed idiot. How can he dismiss the concerns of foreign investors with this statement:

But he dismissed calls from foreign investors for greater disclosure among Nigerian banks to reveal the true scale of their losses on the stock exchange, which has lost 60 per cent of its value in the past year.

“We don’t even need them to start with,” Mr Soludo said. “The foreign investors do not matter in this discussion. What they think does not matter to us. What matters first and foremost is what Nigerian investors think and what they do.”

Does he not know that better disclosure is what NIGERIAN investors also want? I wanted to put some money in Nigerian stocks 2 years ago but that is exactly what put me off.

What does he mean by “The foreign investors do not matter in this discussion. What they think does not matter to us. What matters first and foremost is what Nigerian investors think and what they do."

What Nigerian Investors?

Imitation gone mad - Indeed!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by mustafar1: 9:23pm On Mar 06, 2009
who remembers FORUM GROUP?

if u remember and u remember what happened to it. you would understand that our banking sector has been walking on thin ice for a minute.

that bank rose and collapsed so fast, it was like watching titanic.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by 4Play(m): 9:28pm On Mar 06, 2009
Soludo can be funny atimes. Even if he has a magic plan to re-orientate our economy into a highly successful autarky, it's bizzare to see the Governor of a Central Bank pooh-poohing calls for greater disclosure. 

There are rumors in Nigeria that he plans to run for Governor of Anambra State.  grin
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Moonstone(f): 9:31pm On Mar 06, 2009
Oh my gosh! No he didn't!
Does this man not know the importance of Foreign investors in the system? My goodness! I think he's trying to ruin the entire economical backbone of the rubbish we have left before he goes out of office.
How can he say we don't need them?

Nigerian Investors are investing in houses and assets all over other places. . . not NIGERIA! Gosh!
I don't even know where to start with this man at alllllllllllllllll. I can't curse him and I can't praise him.

This is the beginning of the end. Just when I thought we were out of the woods with all this loan stuff, we're back in. I tire for that country. I'm selling my stock and moving to Japan jare! angry angry angry
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by bawomolo(m): 10:57pm On Mar 06, 2009
I don't get it, you have a chance to clean up the system but you pad the culprits on the back instead?

Aren't foreign investors the main investors in Nigeria anyway. their opinion err money is valuable
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 07, 2009
Soludo & the entire CBN workforce live in the pockets of the commercial bank MDs. Any wonder he's shielding them from scrutiny, that bald gay.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Saruman: 8:29pm On Mar 07, 2009
grin soludo!
Tis the beginnin' of the end. mark my word.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by lucabrasi(m): 11:52am On Mar 08, 2009
nigeria doesnt need foreign investors if soludo and the rest get their acts right,the countries that insulated themselves from the global financial market,are the only ones smiling now,notable examples like china and india are there for all to see.
the reason foreign investors left the shores of nigeria,is because of the cost of running their business,electricity e.t.c and the stress associated with it,so lets not kid ourselves,shell and the rest are not leaving in a hurry because their over heads is being taken care of in the slush profits they are making
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 12:08pm On Mar 08, 2009
soludo na igbo man, he knows wetin he de do. 

all these yeye self-quack economics self!

foreign investors, my ass, i said slavery investors

why dnt ibb,obj and co invest in nigeria like arabs, chinese

idotssssssssssssss

go see how russia and china do de block oyibo for their borders with their wealth

idotsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by bawomolo(m): 1:32pm On Mar 08, 2009
lucabrasi:

nigeria doesnt need foreign investors if soludo and the rest get their acts right,the countries that insulated themselves from the global financial market,are the only ones smiling now,notable examples like china and india are there for all to see.
the reason foreign investors left the shores of nigeria,is because of the cost of running their business,electricity e.t.c and the stress associated with it,so lets not kid ourselves,shell and the rest are not leaving in a hurry because their over heads is being taken care of in the slush profits they are making

how did china and india insulate themselves from the financial crisis? You mean the same china were about 20-30 million migrant workers have lost their jobs. You are fooling yourself if you think Nigeria doesn't need foreign investors.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Ibime(m): 2:45pm On Mar 08, 2009
lucabrasi:

ikeyman00:

idotssssssssssssss

go see how russia and china do de block oyibo for their borders with their wealth

Idiots!

This is not about ensuring full disclosure for foreign investors. This is about ensuring greater disclosure for NIGERIAN investors (and anything else na jara).

And who said there is no foreign investment in China? Just because you cannot buy Chinese stocks as an individual, it doesn't mean you cannot put money into funds that trade in China. There is A LOT of foreign investment in China.

China and Indias stock market have been doing well? Please go and do your research before yarning anyhow.

Besides, whilst China was WARNING that their share prices are too inflated, and they need to be deflated to reflect their true value, Naija's CBN is busy trying to keep worthless shares artificially high.

Nobody is going to invest in a lie, whether they are foreign, Nigerian or from Mars. Why propagate a ponzi-scheme?
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by doyin13(m): 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2009
@Ibime

lol . . .u, debo and 4play want to drive us beer parlour pugilists away abi.

U shall not succeed. angry angry angry
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Ibime(m): 9:05pm On Mar 08, 2009
doyin13:

@Ibime

lol . . .u, debo and 4play want to drive us beer parlour pugilists away abi.

U shall not succeed. angry angry angry

Finance is a science and is not for the sciolistic. cool
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 10:05pm On Mar 08, 2009
ibme!

u think u know, but u know nothing!

keep surffin on the surface

well me said we are walkin under the sea-level

stupid!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by GatorLink(f): 12:01am On Mar 09, 2009
Why does anyone ever take this ikeyman00 idiota serious?

Every situation to him na igbo this and igbo that. undecided

What kind of democratic country is this sef?

Sometimes I wonder why we can't take back the money our afore presidents STOLE from us. I mean, were they not found guilty?

Are we even sure it's our people lending, not the govenors, senaors, president etc stealing from the banks?

Sometimes I just dnt want to care about this country anymore. Rubissssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh angry angry
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 12:09am On Mar 09, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why does anyone ever take this ikeyman00 idiota serious?

Every situation to him na igbo this and igbo that.

What kind of democratic country is this sef?

Sometimes I wonder why we can't take back the money our afore presidents STOLE from us. I mean, were they not found guilty?

Are we even sure it's our people lending, not the govenors, senaors, president etc stealing from the banks?

Sometimes I just dnt want to care about this country anymore. Rubissssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Yoruba take am easy oo! fool
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by GatorLink(f): 12:11am On Mar 09, 2009
ikeyman00:

Yoruba take am easy oo! fool
Do you ever respond with sense?hiss

NEXT!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by osisi2(f): 12:16am On Mar 09, 2009
ikeyman00:

idotssssssssssssss

This is not eating oha soup  and a bottle of gulder my dear.
He's sounding like a fool
Ikeymann aka superman stop drinking tainted  kai kai!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 12:17am On Mar 09, 2009
sing

its is 2009 jumpin jumpin!!!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 12:18am On Mar 09, 2009
osisi

we will soon disown u sad

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by GatorLink(f): 12:19am On Mar 09, 2009
She should be disowning you.
She's not letting the fact that the man is Igbo disable her common sense.
ode
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by dayokanu(m): 12:20am On Mar 09, 2009
Photocopy Ko easy.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by osisi2(f): 12:21am On Mar 09, 2009
GatorLink:

Do you ever respond with sense?hiss

NEXT!

I wonder
ikeyman00:

osisi

we will soon disown u sad

shocked shocked shocked shocked

I disown you 3 times grin
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 12:22am On Mar 09, 2009
gatorlink

why are u temptin, im a born again u know

kiss kiss kiss ha
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 12:24am On Mar 09, 2009
l[b]imitation gone mad right[/b]

osiso can u picture that!

edited now!

na dat yeye soup de make me drunk hahha
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by osisi2(f): 12:26am On Mar 09, 2009
ikeyman is that Igbo?
ikeyman00:

limitation gone mad right

osiso can u ichatture t
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by debosky(m): 12:31am On Mar 09, 2009
I think you are misreading Soludo's comments - he is in essence saying the concerns of foreign investors should not dictate Nigeria's banking/disclosure policy - the concern should be focused on the needs or demands of the local market not pandering to foreign investors.

Till banks declare their next annual results, we should wait to see what levels of bad loans they have on their books. As long as they are complying with CBN rules and bear significant capital adequacy ratios, making losses in the stock market should not be such an issue.

The banks will learn from this and will be more prudent with loans in the next 'boom' in stocks.

With all the calls for 'transparency', even in the UK, till the 'toxic debt' insurance schemes took place, no one knew exactly what scale of bad loans were held in HBOS, so what level of 'openness' are we requiring here? The key thing is for the regulators to have a good grasp of the internal operations of these banks and ensuring that they get tougher on erring banks.

The asset bubble phenomenon is not restricted to Nigeria, there were bound to be missteps with increasing capital bases and little investment into the real sector. A lot of these funds went into the Stock Market, but will be more prudently allocated in the future.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 12:32am On Mar 09, 2009
no mind them!

what do they know! if u like sell ur name to investors
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by agabaI23(m): 1:00am On Mar 09, 2009
In as much as we need foreign investors, we do not need to depend on them. If anyone needs disclosure, it is the local investors.
These are the people who bear the brunt when the chicken come to roast.

The capital flight that hit the banking industry and the NSE in general is what has left the NSE in a comatose state that it is in now.
In september alone, over $8b left the NSE.
I am not saying that local investors will not do same. But the money would still have been in the econonmy in Nigeria.

Do not call for my head. I am not an economist. Just saying what I think.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Ibime(m): 1:03am On Mar 09, 2009
debosky:

I think you are misreading Soludo's comments - he is in essence saying the concerns of foreign investors should not dictate Nigeria's banking/disclosure policy - the concern should be focused on the needs or demands of the local market not pandering to foreign investors.

Till banks declare their next annual results, we should wait to see what levels of bad loans they have on their books. As long as they are complying with CBN rules and bear significant capital adequacy ratios, making losses in the stock market should not be such an issue.

The banks will learn from this and will be more prudent with loans in the next 'boom' in stocks.

With all the calls for 'transparency', even in the UK, till the 'toxic debt' insurance schemes took place, no one knew exactly what scale of bad loans were held in HBOS, so what level of 'openness' are we requiring here? The key thing is for the regulators to have a good grasp of the internal operations of these banks and ensuring that they get tougher on erring banks.

The asset bubble phenomenon is not restricted to Nigeria, there were bound to be missteps with increasing capital bases and little investment into the real sector. A lot of these funds went into the Stock Market, but will be more prudently allocated in the future.

All this is English.

What does "As long as they are complying with CBN rules" mean when CBN rules are not up to internationally accepted standards?

It is one thing to say "the concerns of foreign investors should not dictate Nigeria's banking/disclosure policy" and it is another thing for a Central Bank Governor to admit that they are not concerned about lack of transparency. Whilst there may be some 'cooking of the books' in the UK, you will never find Mervyn King openly decry the need for better disclosure; and it isn't Government policy to perpetuate subpar accounting and risk-management standards in the financial markets.

The only logical explanation I can draw from Soludo's comment is that he probably believes that the stock market will not survive the shock of a rigorous examination. But he made a serious faux pas with that comment.

Any analyst will instantly strike Nigeria off his/her list of investible countries just by Soludo's statement alone. Up till now, Nigerian firms do not follow International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). In this time of crisis, investors are looking to hold only the most transparent investments, yet Soludo is swimming against the tide. There is nothing like Nationality when it comes to investment, only good money and bad money. I thought Soludo was taking steps in the right direction when he proposed a regularising the accounting calendar etc, but I thought wrong.  

Finally, the banking sector can never permeate the real economy until we have proper identification systems in place. This means National Security numbers, proper census, proper databases etc. Until then, the Naija Stock market will always go through a bubble and bust cycle and these bubbles would not be worth preserving (because they do not affect the real economy). Any attempt to do so can be fairly labelled as "Imitation gone mad!". The only reason to think twice about Soludo's 'bad bank' approach is that the toxic assets in question are all oil-related and we cannot assess the strategic risk involved, especially considering that Naija runs an oil-economy.

agabaI23:

If anyone needs disclosure, it is the local investors.
These are the people who bear the brunt when the chicken come to roast.

GBAM!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nipost Strike? What Will Happen To My Package? / Snail Farming / Rearing / Need Contacts In Cotonou 2 Buy Goods 4 My Boutique

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.