Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,938 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans (1759 Views)

How Do You Run A Poultry Business Without Running Mad? / Google Trader Nigeria To Compete With Dealfish, Tradestable, Nairalist / How To Get Small, Short-term Loans In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 1:08am On Mar 09, 2009
In as much as we need foreign investors, we do not need to depend on them. If anyone needs disclosure, it is the local investors.
These are the people who bear the brunt when the chicken come to roast.

The capital flight that heat the banking industry and the NSE in general is what has left the NSE in a comatose state that it is in now.
In september alone, over $8b left the NSE.
I am not saying that local investors will not do same. But the money would still have been in the econonmy Nigeria.

Do not call for my head. I am not an economist. Just saying what I think.

correct!!!!!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by debosky(m): 5:51pm On Mar 09, 2009
Ibime:

All this is English.

What does "As long as they are complying with CBN rules" mean when CBN rules are not up to internationally accepted standards?

It is one thing to say "the concerns of foreign investors should not dictate Nigeria's banking/disclosure policy" and it is another thing for a Central Bank Governor to admit that they are not concerned about lack of transparency. Whilst there may be some 'cooking of the books' in the UK, you will never find Mervyn King openly decry the need for better disclosure; and it isn't Government policy to perpetuate subpar accounting and risk-management standards in the financial markets.

The same 'internationally accepted standards' that led to the collapse of Lehmann and HBOS' hopelessly unsustainable business model right? Spare me.

Are you concluding that the CBN's guidelines are not up to scratch? If so, by virtue of what information? How has he said he is not concerned about a lack of transparency? What is this 'call for transparency' that you are talking about? Don't they issue financial reports at the end of each year?

What good did the 'transparency' do for HBOS and others except cause a run on their share prices and lead to their near collapse?

Banks may be excessively committed to the stock market, but I'd rather wait till annual reports are released. This is the method used in 'developed' economies, so I'd rather abide by that as well.

The only reason to think twice about Soludo's 'bad bank' approach is that the toxic assets in question are all oil-related and we cannot assess the strategic risk involved, especially considering that Naija runs an oil-economy.

What evidence do you have that the toxic assets are oil-related? Oil and gas producers are not quoted on the exchange (marketers which are much smaller are), neither do they get significant funding from local banks. The 'toxic' assets are essentially worthless shares that were artificially driven higher by the massive capital inflows into the stock market. Isolating these loans will have minor if any effects at all on the oil economy.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by doyin13(m): 6:15pm On Mar 09, 2009
debosky:

The same 'internationally accepted standards' that led to the collapse of Lehmann and HBOS' hopelessly unsustainable business model right? Spare me.

Are you concluding that the CBN's guidelines are not up to scratch? If so, by virtue of what information? How has he said he is not concerned about a lack of transparency? What is this 'call for transparency' that you are talking about? Don't they issue financial reports at the end of each year?

What good did the 'transparency' do for HBOS and others except cause a run on their share prices and lead to their near collapse?

Banks may be excessively committed to the stock market, but I'd rather wait till annual reports are released. This is the method used in 'developed' economies, so I'd rather abide by that as well.

What evidence do you have that the toxic assets are oil-related? Oil and gas producers are not quoted on the exchange (marketers which are much smaller are), neither do they get significant funding from local banks. The 'toxic' assets are essentially worthless shares that were artificially driven higher by the massive capital inflows into the stock market. Isolating these loans will have minor if any effects at all on the oil economy.

You seem to place a lot of trust in these end of year annual reports. There is more to transparency than just perusing the annual reports which these firms churn out. They really should endeavour to aid interested parties in understanding the financial position of their companies all year round and not only at year end.

The run on the share price of the big Western banks was because investors were suspicious of the figures which these banks were presenting and not because they were generously transparent.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by Ibime(m): 6:34pm On Mar 09, 2009
debosky:

My friend shaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

What do you know about these Nigerian annual reports? Even Bloomberg terminal has only like 7 up-to-date annual reports and the fundamental ratios look bogus to me. Plus there is weak price efficiency in the market. You can see a stock with brilliant fundamentals and a brilliant balance sheet and P&L and the share price isn't even moving. This either indicates a lack of liquidity in the market (which wasn't the case prior to the recession) or the fact that investors do not trust the figures they are being presented with!

Many investors don't even trust these companies' statements half the time, they just go to Agusto and Co to get their financial reports.

Whats all this talk about Lehmann Bros and HBOS? This is about investor confidence and nothing else. Pesin wey refuse AIDS test has already announced to the World that he has AIDS.  

Maybe the announcement that Yankee is conducting stress test on all their major financial institutions to determnine levels of debt and capital requirements skipped your attention - but other countries are making efforts to ensure full disclosure. As soon as Tim Geitner announced the stress test, DOW plummeted; but it is better to take the immediate shock in order to remove hazard from the market. Sir Fred Goodwin and Gordon Brown also had serious qwatar over disclosure. Why should Naija be any different?

Even Nigerian analysts are begging for implementation of IFRS, you are here yarning moroseness. Forget the postulations of the naysayers, NSE needs foreign investment. Even as a Nigerian investor, I would not invest in anything that is not up to International standard.

"Soludo's comments seem to contradict statements made last week by Finance Minister Mansur Muhtar, who said the central bank would consider making it mandatory for commercial banks to adopt IFRS international reporting standards."

http://af.reuters.com/article/investingNews/idAFJOE5250BJ20090306

Whats going on here?

debosky:

(1.) What evidence do you have that the toxic assets are oil-related?

(2.)Oil and gas producers are not quoted on the exchange (marketers which are much smaller are), neither do they get significant funding from local banks.

(1.) I read it somewhere. Please employ google. I no get time to look for am.

(2.) Apparently Soludo suggested buying these toxic assets since 2004, but plans were held back as the stock market was booming. They are mostly loans made to Nigerian oil companies. I do not know the intricate details but I am sure a google search will pull it up if you look hard enough.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by DisGuy: 7:54pm On Mar 09, 2009
I think Soludo is losing it

lets be honest its not only foreign investors asking for disclosure, local investors
are always asking for reports criss-cross checking everywhere, you can easily see this
on the stock market threads and other NSE websites.

And why do were they opposed to the end of year system
you'd think they'll support anything to make the system fairer but
no they want to manipulate and get biggest, largest titles from cheesy newspapers.

soludo is even too close with those one man CEOs,
ordinary customer service the CBN cant take them to task
Soludo is becoming a local champion!
the success of the consolidation is not enough we need something else!
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by KnowAll(m): 8:08pm On Mar 09, 2009
There is only one thing that is about to happen, FRAUD ! FRAUD !! FRAUD !!!, if you have money in some of this new banks u better go and put in the old establish banks first bank, union bank e.t.c What is about to happen is the banks will say they have had bad a run investing in the stock market but the reality is that the cash will be given to PDP as war chest for the 2011 elections, just like what the saraki's did to Societal General in 2003, overnight N17 billiion was withdrawn and nobody was prosecuted.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by 4Play(m): 9:30pm On Mar 09, 2009
Debosky has an unshakeable faith in these ''infallible'' annual reports. grin

You are missing the point. The banks won't admit their exposure to the stock market in the first place, even in the infallible annual reports, because we have a culture of cooking the books. No successful financial sector is ever built on opaqueness.
Re: Imitation Gone Mad: Nigeria To Buy Bad Loans by ikeyman00(m): 9:42pm On Mar 09, 2009
yall should shut up

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust shut up !! damn

the same way yall and ur co-operates have so much fate in ur so called world standard economy right? now look now !! nonesenseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee people

u seemed to underestimate or mitigate the damages done by ur so called world benchmark-economy

a lot white in the 70s 80s lost all their pension fund etc

hmmm that so nigerianed u right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rainy Season & Snail Business / Database Of All Farmers In Nigeria Commences / Samuel Gbenga Scam, Samuel Is A Pure Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.