Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out (909 Views)

NNPC Scandal: PENGASSAN, NUPENG Pledge Support for Baru (Photos) / Fayose’s Islamic Dress Code In Line With Biblical Injunctions –grand Imam / PDP Senators Withdraw Support For Buhari’s Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by goodlifehyd(m): 5:10pm On Jul 09, 2015
After reading comments from fellow Christians who fail to see boko haram, ISIS and other Islamic militants as political issues, i decided to make a lil research about the bible, you can quote me and abuse me or say what you like, wont reply a single quote.

[b]Actually there are hundreds of passages that support war. War is one of those topics that pacifists have to work hard to try to get it out of the Scripture. To keep this relatively short, I'll just point out a few.

God commands Israel to go to war many times. On occasion he has ordered the complete destruction of a nation (what we would term as genocide in our day). On one such occasion, he not only ordered the complete annihilation of nation, but he punished the king of Israel for leaving one man and a few sheep alive. King Saul was told in I Samuel 15:3 "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." By verse 8 we are told, "He took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and all his people he totally destroyed with the sword." In verse 10 and 11 we learn "Then the word of the LORD came to Samuel: 'I am grieved that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.' Samuel was troubled, and he cried out to the LORD all that night." A few verses later we learn that God rejects Saul as king.

In the New Testament, we find some different kinds of passages. God does not deal with his people on a national level like he did in the Old Testament and his people are now a spiritual people. However, the spiritual people of the New Testament have to live in the reality of the world as it exists -- which includes armies and war. So, at no time are we told to take up arms to advance the kingdom. We are told what our attitude toward the military and war should be.

"Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely—be content with your pay"" (Luke 3:14).

In this passage John the Baptist was asked by soldiers on how to repent. I think it is significant that John did not say anything like "give up being soldiers". He told them to do some things that soldiers of his time were known to have problems with. I find John's reply very telling because John was not afraid to "tell it like it is" -- since he eventually lost his head for telling the king that he was guilty of adultery. If being a soldier was being immoral, John would have said something.

"At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, "Cornelius!" Cornelius stared at him in fear. "What is it, Lord?" he asked. The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God" (Acts 10:1-5).

Cornelius ends up being the first Gentile convert to Christ. His status as a Gentile caused problems for Peter, so there is a lot to the story about how this man was chosen. Again it is telling that Cornelius was also a soldier -- and considered so worthy that he was chosen to be the first Gentile convert. At no time is he told to quit being a soldier in order to become a Christian, nor is there any record of him changing occupations. He is a Christian and a soldier.

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor" (Romans 13:1-7).

This one is a little more complex. It is obvious that Paul is saying that governments exist at the will of God. We like to think that they exist because of the will of man, but Paul said they actually work for God. God has granted to them the right of using the "sword". A sword does not have many uses outside of police work and military might. Paul is saying that we have to submit to the authorities because they are established by God as his agent to execute his wrath. The execution of wrath is not limited to police work. Sometimes a whole nation become so evil that the only recourse left is for God to punish the whole nation. The only difference between police work and war is a matter of the size. In our society we also change the rules, but the effect is the same.[/b]
Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by donholy28(m): 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2015
op if u reach heaven...abeg help us ask God
Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 09, 2015
Boko Haram will not be negotiated with.

If your Buhari tries that bullsh1t then you can kiss this useless Nijeriya bye bye.
Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by ERODEDEAST(f): 5:16pm On Jul 09, 2015
[s]
goodlifehyd:
After reading comments from fellow Christians who fail to see boko haram, ISIS and other Islamic militants as political issues, i decided to make a lil research about the bible, you can quote me and abuse me or say what you like, wont reply a single quote.

[b]Actually there are hundreds of passages that support war. War is one of those topics that pacifists have to work hard to try to get it out of the Scripture. To keep this relatively short, I'll just point out a few.

God commands Israel to go to war many times. On occasion he has ordered the complete destruction of a nation (what we would term as genocide in our day). On one such occasion, he not only ordered the complete annihilation of nation, but he punished the king of Israel for leaving one man and a few sheep alive. King Saul was told in I Samuel 15:3 "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." By verse 8 we are told, "He took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and all his people he totally destroyed with the sword." In verse 10 and 11 we learn "Then the word of the LORD came to Samuel: 'I am grieved that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.' Samuel was troubled, and he cried out to the LORD all that night." A few verses later we learn that God rejects Saul as king.

In the New Testament, we find some different kinds of passages. God does not deal with his people on a national level like he did in the Old Testament and his people are now a spiritual people. However, the spiritual people of the New Testament have to live in the reality of the world as it exists -- which includes armies and war. So, at no time are we told to take up arms to advance the kingdom. We are told what our attitude toward the military and war should be.

"Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely—be content with your pay"" (Luke 3:14).

In this passage John the Baptist was asked by soldiers on how to repent. I think it is significant that John did not say anything like "give up being soldiers". He told them to do some things that soldiers of his time were known to have problems with. I find John's reply very telling because John was not afraid to "tell it like it is" -- since he eventually lost his head for telling the king that he was guilty of adultery. If being a soldier was being immoral, John would have said something.

"At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, "Cornelius!" Cornelius stared at him in fear. "What is it, Lord?" he asked. The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God" (Acts 10:1-5).

Cornelius ends up being the first Gentile convert to Christ. His status as a Gentile caused problems for Peter, so there is a lot to the story about how this man was chosen. Again it is telling that Cornelius was also a soldier -- and considered so worthy that he was chosen to be the first Gentile convert. At no time is he told to quit being a soldier in order to become a Christian, nor is there any record of him changing occupations. He is a Christian and a soldier.

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor" (Romans 13:1-7).

This one is a little more complex. It is obvious that Paul is saying that governments exist at the will of God. We like to think that they exist because of the will of man, but Paul said they actually work for God. God has granted to them the right of using the "sword". A sword does not have many uses outside of police work and military might. Paul is saying that we have to submit to the authorities because they are established by God as his agent to execute his wrath. The execution of wrath is not limited to police work. Sometimes a whole nation become so evil that the only recourse left is for God to punish the whole nation. The only difference between police work and war is a matter of the size. In our society we also change the rules, but the effect is the same.[/b]
[/s]
Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by ibrokola(m): 5:22pm On Jul 09, 2015
Thanks bro for the enlightenment! I hate it when people quote the Quran out of context while acting like there is no place in the bible where war was recommended or guided! It's simply double-standards while veiling their level of Islamophobia!
Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 09, 2015
For all your misplaced interpretation of Biblical scripture in order to portray Christianity as violent as your Islam, the fact still remains that we have an Islamic Terror militia waging a war in the northeast to forcefully instill their own doctrine on the entire polity.

When you see similar Christian Terror Groups fighting exclusively to make Christianity the sole religion then you can come back.

All these your useless rants are geared towards selling an amnesty package for Boko Haram.

It won't work because no Christian or other religious group has fought a war to instill their religion in our polity and where rewarded with amnesty for their troubles.

Useless Muslim filth

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2015
ibrokola:
Thanks bro for the enlightenment! I hate it when people quote the Quran out of context while acting like there is no place in the bible where war was recommended or guided! It's simply double-standards while veiling their level of Islamophobia!

If it makes you feel more happy and if it justifies the violence currently being committed by your brethren so be it.

This just goes to show that all you Muslims support Boko Haram.
Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by Humorclux: 5:28pm On Jul 09, 2015
ibrokola:

Islam = violence.

If you don't like it you can have the gun and kill yourself

Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by ibrokola(m): 5:30pm On Jul 09, 2015
WombRaiders:

If it makes you feel more happy and if it justifies the violence currently being committed by your brethren so be it.

This just goes to show that all you Muslims support Boko Haram.
I'm not justifying violence! I'm talking about your hypocrisy and double-standards. Besides you can't call war violence when it is sanctioned by the state(Government). Get a dictionary dear ignoramus!

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by ibrokola(m): 5:32pm On Jul 09, 2015
Humorclux:

Islam = violence.

If you don't like it you can have the gun and kill yourself
Online champion! Now, return your daddy's phone before he catches you!

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 09, 2015
ibrokola:

I'm not justifying violence! I'm talking about your hypocrisy and double-standards. Besides you can't call war violence when it is sanctioned by the state(Government). Get a dictionary dear ignoramus!

You must be an irredeemable dunce.

When has any Christian group popped up to carve out a territory and impose their faith on others within Nigeria?

Lest you forget it is your Muslim filth that are beheading non Muslims in the northeast, abducting their women and girls and turning them into sex slaves.

On your assertion that War is not violence as long as it is sanctioned by the state is that not the same way you fools support jihad because you see it as sanctioned by your god Allah?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Biblical Support For Any Country Or Human Being To Be In An All Out by ERODEDEAST(f): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2015
As far as am concern, Nothing like 'Moderate Muslems'. Most Muslems are Terrorist those who are not happen to be in minority where they reside.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Buhari To Split NNPC Into Two …plans Fresh Bid Round For Oil Blocks / Kenyan President's PA Gets Chased After He Touched Obama's Limo One (photo) / Change! As Promised By Buhari's Govt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.