Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,948 members, 7,952,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:17 AM

Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family (8096 Views)

The 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Comes As An All-new Minivan. It’s The Replacement Fo / Import A Car And Minivan Or Buy Locally - Advice Please / I Wanna Buy A Minivan And I Need Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 12:19am On Jul 10, 2015
I now have a somehow big family and i thank God for that. My car can no longer be comfortable for us including our house help hence need to get a minivan.

I will use the minivan majorly around town (taking children to school, church, events) and short trips of say 120-150KM but at least twice in a year there may be need to travel to and fro from the village (about 800KM round trip).

I don't have so much cash so i have a budget of N900,000 maximum for this project. I am looking at fuel efficient, low cost of maintenance and rugged vehicle with roll down window. In my search, i identified the following:

1. Honda odyssey 1997 - Odyssey is good but i heard is somehow underpowered and even though is 4-cylinder, is fuel thirsty. With Honda upper and lower arm issue, i'm skeptical knowing that i will have my family on it most of the time. However, its 3rd row seat can fold to the floor thereby creating a large cargo room. It comes only with auto tranny which is good. (driving manual tranny round town is not easy with traffic here and there)

2. Volkswagen Sharan 1999 1.8T - I like this vehicle but it mostly come with manual tranny, does not have rear air conditioning. However its use for commercial transportation could shows its rugged but its interior is bland kind of, not even cup holders. The 2001 model of it is not common hence i wouldn't know if it has inherent issues.

3. Mazda MPV 2000 - This Mazda is good but is V6 so might be fuel thirsty. Very good it has sliding doors which is good for kids but the reliability of Mazda is below others which is an issue. If i buy it, I would not be looking to sell anytime soon hence my apprehension. However, it comes mostly with auto tranny which i like with center space for back passengers to enter without lifting any seat.

Please how help my choose one of these vehicles considering the factors i earlier listed and my budget. Somebody can also suggest another in this range.

Attached are the pictures.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Starships4u(m): 12:43am On Jul 10, 2015
Oga go for acura MDX... It rocks....
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by denedene(m): 1:36am On Jul 10, 2015
i don't know bout the performance abv listed cars but i love no 1 n 4
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by aaidel(m): 4:38am On Jul 10, 2015
why not siena?? an older model if the choice has to be among the four i would go for the mazda

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by lonelydora: 4:40am On Jul 10, 2015
From your options above, I will recommend Honda Odyssey.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by bravolad(m): 9:46am On Jul 10, 2015
For reliability & ruggedness, I would not go for Honda Odyssey. My best bet will be outside the listed options; a Toyota Picnic with three rows of two seats. It looks smaller but has a relatively good head and leg rooms. The rear seats are removable, providing a good cargo space. It handles well and has good fuel economy with an average of 31 mpg.

Parts are readily available, cheap and so do mechanics. Since cost is a major concern, both in maintenance and fuelling, you will not go wrong. It comes in manual & auto trannies.

The Mazda MPV has a 4 cylinder variant but looks bland. We use one as an office vehicle, no rear a/c vents to keep rear passengers cool. It is not rugged & drives sluggishly and equally underpowered. It is as spacious as the Odyssey.

Another good option would have been Toyota Sienna 1998 - 2000 but for the rear window that does wind down, which is a concern to you.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 2:57pm On Jul 10, 2015
bravolad:
For reliability & ruggedness, I would not go for Honda Odyssey. My best bet will be outside the listed options; a Toyota Picnic with three rows of two seats. It looks smaller but has a relatively good head and leg rooms. The rear seats are removable, providing a good cargo space. It handles well and has good fuel economy with an average of 31 mpg.
Parts are readily available, cheap and so do mechanics. Since cost is a major concern, both in maintenance and fuelling, you will not go wrong. It comes in manual & auto trannies.
The Mazda MPV has a 4 cylinder variant but looks bland. We use one as an office vehicle, no rear a/c vents to keep rear passengers cool. It is not rugged & drives sluggishly and equally underpowered. It is as spacious as the Odyssey.
Another good option would have been Toyota Sienna 1998 - 2000 but for the rear window that does wind down, which is a concern to you.

Yes, i know about Toyota Picnic but its expensive, about 1.2m as at last check. It is smaller than the rest but of course it has that Toyota durability. There is virtually no space for load is all seats are occupied which is an issue for a family. Thanks for your input though.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 2:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
More inputs please especially from those who have used or are using some of these vehicles.

Thanks in advance
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
With the budget you have, Volkswagen Sharan 1999 1.8T will be ideal. the ride is rugged and easy to maintain. I got an 806 Peugeot for 750k and it is doing very well especially with fuel consumption and quite roomy too.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 5:40am On Jul 13, 2015
chibabe3:
With the budget you have, Volkswagen Sharan 1999 1.8T will be ideal. the ride is rugged and easy to maintain. I got an 806 Peugeot for 750k and it is doing very well especially with fuel consumption and quite roomy too.

Does Volkswagen Sharan 1999 1.8T even come with automatic transmissions?

More inputs please
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by DECOtech(m): 11:05am On Jul 13, 2015
routersnswitch:

3. Mazda MPV 2000 - This Mazda is good but is V6 so might be fuel thirsty. Very good it has sliding doors which is good for kids but the reliability of Mazda is below others which is an issue. If i buy it, I would not be looking to sell anytime soon hence my apprehension. However, it comes mostly with auto tranny which i like with center space for back passengers to enter without lifting any seat.

Please how help my choose one of these vehicles considering the factors i earlier listed and my budget. Somebody can also suggest another in this range.

Attached are the pictures.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Who told you 6 cylinder engines are fuel thirsty? pls get rid of the mentality. V6 engines would take more fuel than an I4 engine cos of the extra 2 cylinders but to describe them as "fuel thirsty" is an unfair exaggeration. Even a faulty I4 engine would consume more fuel than an old school American V8 engine.

Of the three vehicles you want to choose from, I favour the Mazda MPV. Reason is that a very close friend of mine has owned it since 2008 and still using it. Maintenance culture is the key to long life of any vehicle.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by NumberOne2(m): 1:31pm On Jul 13, 2015
DECOtech:

Who told you 6 cylinder engines are fuel thirsty? pls get rid of the mentality. V6 engines would take more fuel than an I4 engine cos of the extra 2 cylinders but to describe them as "fuel thirsty" is an unfair exaggeration. Even a faulty I4 engine would consume more fuel than an old school American V8 engine.

Of the three vehicles you want to choose from, I favour the Mazda MPV. Reason is that a very close friend of mine has owned it since 2008 and still using it. Maintenance culture is the key to long life of any vehicle.

Thank you. I have always said that its driving habits that increase fuel consumption not really engine capacity.
Engine capacity is a factor but not as much as folks say (2 extra plugs = 50% more consumption). Its like the myth that driving without AC reduces fuel consumption.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Fixed: 12:20am On Jul 15, 2015
The link below is for an old thread for someone in the very same predicament.

https://www.nairaland.com/1288688/which-these-better-minivan-budget#15849082
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 11:39am On Jul 25, 2015
Thanks for all your responses. @Fixed, the thread helped a lot but as if the person already favours MAZDA MPV.

I would still appreciate more input
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by kolnel: 10:39pm On Jul 25, 2015
Mazda mpv is my choice
Been using it for the past 3 years
Low maintenance
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 26, 2015
@ routernswitch all dis mini mini miney no won't help u one bit. I would advice you to either get a Toyota Siena or a Honda Odessey and have absolute peace of mind. Factor in availability of parts, durability & cheap workmanship when buying a vehicle.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 12:32am On Jul 26, 2015
dumo1:
@ routernswitch all dis mini mini miney no won't help u one bit. I would advice you to either get a Toyota Siena or a Honda Odessey and have absolute peace of mind. Factor in availability of parts, durability & cheap workmanship when buying a vehicle.

Siena side window cannot be wound down, a major disadvantage and then its very fuel thirsty bearing in mind that i will be using it 80% within the city.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by fagbohun4j(m): 7:19am On Jul 26, 2015
Oga, I would suggest you go for Sienna which isn't part of your options here. It's a very good and reliable family car. Would have suggested you go for the VW but since you are particular about the AC, then Sienna would be the best. Low budget maintenance, low fuel consumption, full option if you can get the one which has not been tampered with by our Nigerian auto dealers. Don't even go near Honda because of arm safety. You never can tell when the issue might come up.
I hope I've contributed with the little I know. Thanks.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Originalsly: 7:52am On Jul 26, 2015
With your budget...I'll suggest you consider the Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager..basically the same vehicle. It's rugged...very rugged, very reliable and has a pretty fuel efficient V6 engine.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 26, 2015
i have 2002 toyota sienna for 600k......
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 4:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
fagbohun4j:
Oga, I would suggest you go for Sienna which isn't part of your options here. It's a very good and reliable family car. Would have suggested you go for the VW but since you are particular about the AC, then Sienna would be the best. Low budget maintenance, low fuel consumption, full option if you can get the one which has not been tampered with by our Nigerian auto dealers. Don't even go near Honda because of arm safety. You never can tell when the issue might come up.
I hope I've contributed with the little I know. Thanks.

Yes, Siena is good but like i said earlier, the side window cannot wind down which is a major disadvantage. Moreover, the vehicle will be used mostly within the city like school runs with occasional long distance journey so fuel efficiency is a big issue with Siena.

Thanks anyway
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by clemz85(m): 6:20pm On Jul 26, 2015
op if that Volkswagen can withstand Nigeria high way transportation, go for it
though it depends on if you want comfort or durability and rigidness.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by routersnswitch: 10:55pm On Jul 26, 2015
clemz85:
op if that Volkswagen can withstand Nigeria high way
transportation, go for it
though it depends on if you want comfort or
durability and rigidness.

please how do you mean "it depends on if you want comfort or
durability and rigidness"? Where does Sharan belong? Comfort or durability and rigidity?
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 27, 2015
routersnswitch:

Does Volkswagen Sharan 1999 1.8T even come with automatic transmissions?

More inputs please

Yes, it does. I have shipped 2 to Lagos in the last 9 months. A 1999 2.0 SE and a 2002 1.8T Sport.

Both were 5-speed automatic's.

1 Like

Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 27, 2015
Originalsly:
With your budget...I'll suggest you consider the Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager..basically the same vehicle. It's rugged...very rugged, very reliable and has a pretty fuel efficient V6 engine.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by clemz85(m): 9:26am On Jul 27, 2015
routersnswitch:

please how do you mean "it depends on if you want comfort or
durability and rigidness"? Where does Sharan belong? Comfort or durability and rigidity?

if you want smth strong, durable and cuts down on maintenance, go for Sharan, but the others offers you
little rigidity but more comfort.

my opinion though,
don't believe it, think about it.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:34pm On Jul 27, 2015
Here is what I would advise, not original to me, but second knowledge from those who know better?

Mazda MPV 2000/2001 versus Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2001?

2000 - 2001 Mazda MPV is a better vehicle than 1999 - 2001 Odyssey. If you must do the Odyssey route, then get the 2002 or later.

Here is why:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/12-minivan-comparisons/25276-get-rid-my-mpv-low-miles-ody-high-miles-print.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/12-minivan-comparisons/43256-ody-vs-mazda-mpv-2002-a.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/30598-just-purchased-2001-odyssey-81k-am-already-thinking-about-selling.html
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:49pm On Jul 27, 2015
Between these

Mazda MPV 2000/2001 versus Toyota Sienna 1997 - 2000/2001-2002?

This is too close to call.

Let us just say its rather subjective.

Here is why:

Pick one depending on what you really want from from a minivan

Bigger van versus smaller van

Engine with known sludge issues versus engine without a history of sludge issues

Non-sliding doors versus sliding doors

Very smooth engine versus not so smooth power delivery

Sliding split rear seat versus folding rear seat

More expensive versus less expensive

Famed dependability versus grapevine tales of lack of reliability

impressive safety ratings versus not so terribly bad safety ratings

You may want to spend some time here:

1.http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/mazda_mpv_2000-vs-toyota_sienna_2000

2.http://www.truedelta.com/Mazda-MPV/reliability-176/vs-Sienna-275

3.http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=805223

4. https://www.nairaland.com/1966298/mazda-mpv-vs-toyota-sienna

5.http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=708&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by IdaraCHODB(m): 12:16am On Jul 28, 2015
clemz85:
op if that Volkswagen can withstand Nigeria high way
transportation, go for it

though it depends on if you want comfort or
durability and rigidness.

I don't know much about the sharan but here is what Wikipedia had to say about it quoting from http://www.reliabilityindex.com

Scoring 200 points on the United Kingdom Reliability Index, the Sharan is considered very unreliable when compared to the average vehicle score of 100, while a very reliable vehicle scores 60 or below. The average age and repair cost of the tested Sharan was 5,3 years and covered 63,546 miles.

If I were you, the choice would be really between the Mazda MPV and the Honda Odyssey ( and if you didn't mind the rear windows, the Toyota Sienna).

But then I don't fix cars for a living, I simply love cars, and when they give me trouble, I educate myself on them so I can have a reasonably intellectual exchange with whoever fixes it for me or if necessary and possible I fix the issue myself, which means that you may receive conflicting advice from those who fix cars, all the same, your choice, your life.
Re: Which Of These Minivan Should I Choose For Family by IdaraCHODB(m): 12:17am On Jul 28, 2015
bravolad:

I have seen the Mazda MPV 4 cylinder and it was a manual, i do not know if the 4 cylinder also comes as an automatic, but nearly all the MPVs I have seen have been 6 cylinders

(1) (2) (Reply)

......how To Read Out Manufacture Date Of Your Engine Oil.... / Flying Car, Airscooter To Go On Sale Later This Year For Around $50k / The Honda Crosstour Is Dead - And No True Car Guy Will Miss It!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.