Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,442 members, 7,830,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Fickle Heart - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Fickle Heart (1448 Views)

deleted post. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fickle Heart by TRalph(m): 8:21am On Jul 10, 2015
DESCRIPTION

A short story of how a young handsome intelligent brilliant but timid guy struggled between lots of ladies before he eventually found true love...

COPYRIGHT

Feel free to share this book with friends but do not alter or reproduce the content without my approved consent. Thank you for being reasonable.
You can get in touch with me via –
olaniyitralph@gmail.com
(cc) T-Ralph Olaniyi
www.teachingoftheword.com/get_search.php?profile=T-Ralph
Re: Fickle Heart by TRalph(m): 8:24am On Jul 10, 2015
Fickle Heart

Episode 1 - Crush Maniac

It was a week to the commencement of examinations, John was returning from the library with his best friend Benjamin as they met Cindy, a classmate of theirs, on her way to the library. While she was still afar off, John had sighted her. She was always easy to notice because of her likeness for the colours red and pink. She was always wearing either red or pink shoes and tops, with her brightly colored red or pink lips. In days when she decided not to use her usual red or pink lipstick, her deeply coloured red lips did the job for her. This time, her lips were pink-coloured and her shoes were pink, so also was her hand bag carrying her books. Some considered her cliche dressing style as awkward but to John it was not. It had not been awkward since John had developed a crush for Cindy since the beginning of the academic session. His heart was racing as she came closer, with every step, his heart paced faster and his head pounded at the sound of the heels of her shoes hitting the floor.

"Good afternoon", Ben said to Cindy. "Good afternoon", Cindy replied. "Hhhha...hiii...iiii" John said. "Thank goodness I met you, I will be needing your Financial Accounting textbook tonight." In a heartbeat, John brought his back bag forward, supported it with his laps and zipped open his back bag and gave it to her. Without saying a thank you, she walked off even before John could completely zip up his bag or so he thought. By the time John's head was up, she was no longer in front of him. John turned around towards the library and found her walking in her high heels and tight black trousers. Ben had to tap John before he gained consciousness and realized he had been staring too long and it was not so appropriate. He lifted up his bag in an attempt to strap his bag to his back again and all his books fell off. It was then he realized he had not really zipped his bag.

"If you like her so much, why don't you go tell her?" Ben challenged John. John shrudded and shook his head in a negative response with a sad face he wore over his square-shaped head. "You are the only person I know to be intelligent and yet timid. You can speak before professors and doctors in class presentations, but, when you are in front of a girl, you melt like ice before fire", Ben added, "Just to say 'hi', you stutter like a stammerer ... Hmmm, I pity you." John was the best in his class. He always aced the hardest courses and broke the records. Even at his second year in college, most of his classmates and even some lecturers considered it a high possibility of he beating the highest grade point ever in the Department of Management and Accounting.

John was so depressed at Ben's talk that he picked each book slowly and put them in his bag. Ben felt bad at his words because they might have been too harsh on John, yet, he felt maybe, just maybe, it was the push John needed to actively speak to a girl for once in his life. After Ben helped John in picking a few books that had fallen, he then put his arms around John and gradually pulled him towards the library in an attempt to make him talk to Cindy. John knew Ben's intention, so, he bent and turned to escape his head and shoulders out of Ben's grasp. "Don't say I never encouraged you. I did my best to help you", Ben said. John replied, "That is easy for you to say when you have got Rachael since ... like forever ... as long as I can remember."

Rachael was the reason they had to leave the library early. Ben and Rachael had been dating since High School. They grew up in the same neighbourhood, attended the same schools and were in the same college. It was like friendship grew into relationship. Everyone who knew Ben knew Rachael because they were always together. This time, she had a slight fever, and so, she did not leave her hostel to read with Ben. She had told Ben to help get some medicine for her fever while returning from the library. So, Ben had to leave the library early because Rachael needed the medicine earlier than he thought. Ben convinced John to walk with him, if not, John would still have been reading. "At least, I do not stammer before Rachael", Ben defended himself with a smile.

"One day, I am going to talk to Cindy. I will tell her how I feel", John said as he nodded his head with some form of assurance and used his left thumb and index fingers to wipe his mustache and pulled them down to his touch his goatee. Ben countered him immediately, "That was the same thing you said about Priscilla from fellowship, Stella from Department of Economics, Helen from also from fellowship, Esther our classmate ... should I continue? The list goes on. Seems you have got crush on about one or two ladies every semester." John paused for a while. It seemed he had a quick flash of all those he had affection for in the past. He wondered about what he had liked about each of the girls in the past. John responded by saying, "Priscilla started dating the fellowship president; Stella was too short for me; Helen was already in a relationship with the fellowship secretary; Esther was too fat for me. Ben, you see, it isn't my fault at all." "Keep giving yourself excuses," Ben replied as he stepped into the pharmacy to buy Rachael some medications.

On getting to Rachael's room, Ben was surprised to see that Rachael was much better than she sounded over the phone. She said she would not be needed the medications anymore because she felt much better. Ben was glad to see her healthy. Ben and Rachael were sitting on the bed, facing each other and holding each other's hands, they conversed softly with each other that Ben could barely hear them both. John was accustomed to their mannerism of conversing, so he immediately picked a motivational book from Rachael's shelf to peruse. He had read all the books in her shelf, so, he just flipped through the pages. Soon he was bored and he drifted off in his thoughts. John's sitting position was such that he was backing John. So, only Rachael could see John, but she was deeply into her usual love conversations with Ben. Occasionally, John would turn to look at them when they chuckled or giggled so loud. They were both carried away and did not know how time flew by till it was evening.

John, on the other hand, was stuck on Cindy in his mind. He felt a deep need to give her a call just to ask how the she was enjoying the textbook. As much as he wanted to call, he thought to himself the possibility of embarrassing himself by stammering over the phone. It became very obvious he was lost in his thoughts as Rachael noticed him staring at the empty yellow wall of her room. Rachael was quick to ask, in her thin sonorous voice, "What are you thinking about?" Ben took a sharp turn to look at John. It took few seconds for John to find a reply. The few seconds felt like hours as John was bent on concealing his real thoughts. He knew if he said that Cindy was on his mind, he would receive another round of lecture from Ben about being bold enough to ask a lady out, and, another lecture from Rachael about dating serious christians alone. John was not ready for all of that this time, so within the few seconds of silence, he was still searching for an explanation to give Rachael.

John noticed the tiny sheet of paper plastered on the yellow wall beside the small elevated wooden bookshelf, it contained Rachel's lectures timetable. "Yes!" John shouted in his mind. He knew he had located his escape plan. He quickly replied, "I was just wondering at how busy your schedule for classes are?" "You've got so much to do everyday. Two to three hours per class! Who does that?" John added. He knew his reply was not convincing enough. Ben thought within himself, "Was this the first time of John seeing her lectures timetable? He obviously was thinking of something else." Rachael's thoughts were closely the same as Ben's, "The position of John's heads and eyes were markedly different from the sheet of paper containing the lectures timetable. What on earth was he thinking?" The questioning looks on Ben's and Rachael's faces further verified his thoughts. In order to avoid further questions, just before Rachael's quick already opened mouth could send another bullet of question, he picked up his phone as if he just got a text and stood up briskly walking outside as if he wants to make an urgent call. Ben and Rachael continued their closeup conversations as if nothing had happened.
Few minutes later, John came in and announced he was leaving. "Where to?" Ben asked. "To the library," he replied. "I want to finish up a few notes", John added. "But, we spent five hours this morning!" Ben said. "Anyway, that is why you lead the class." Rachael added. In no time, he picked his bag and was at the door. He waved his hands to signal goodbye as Ben said, "Do not forget fellowship tonight by 8pm." He knew how John gets easily carried away by books so he had to give him a reminder. John just nodded a positive response as he closed the door and went off. He knew he had not told them the main reason for returning to the library. The call he deguised to make was eventually made and that was the reason for going back to the library; Ben and Rachael were not aware of this also.

At the fellowship, Ben was surprised not to have seen John around. He should not have been too surprised because it was habitual of John not to attend fellowships meetings during examination periods. Nonetheless, Ben expected John to have been around because he had particularly reminded him to come before he left for the library. Ben put a phone call to John but he was not picking up. Ben concluded he was probably asleep but was even more surprised to have returned to the room and found that John was not in. He made another set of calls to John, but, no answer. That night, John returned quite late to the room and all he said to Ben was, "I was reading."

(To be continued...)
http://www.teachingoftheword.com/show_story.php?story_id=107
Re: Fickle Heart by Galaxdiva(f): 11:17am On Jul 11, 2015
FTC.... Not badt!

1 Like

Re: Fickle Heart by TRalph(m): 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
Episode 2 - Crush and be Crushed

"John, when do you want to travel home?" Ben asked. "I am still thinking about it. I don't think I would travel early this time", John replied. Ben and John were still stretching on their beds. It was the night after their final examination in second semester 200 level. They slept as though they were knocked down with a powerful sedative. They had several sleepless nights studying for their examinations, so, they slept for hours to compensate for the sleepless hours. However, hunger had cut short the sweet long sleep short. Ben let out a wide and long yawn while John responded with a louder yawn and a stomach rumble. Without wasting much time, they knew it was time to visit the cafeteria for their meals. Unanimously and simultaneously, they stood up and got dressed to go out.

As they ate, their stomachs rejoiced and it was evident in their faces. Ben thought within himself that it was the best moment to ask John the question that has long been in his heart throughout the examination periods. Without hesitation, John asked, "Since I have known you ... since 100 level, we always read together. So, you would agree with me why I should be concerned that you didn't read with me throughout this examination. Why?" The food John swallowed got stuck midway in his throat. He was confused whether to answer Ben correctly or not. He had a plan and now wasn't the time to reveal his plan. "This plan must stay hidden, I have to prove a point to him that I am not feeble", he thought to himself. At the same time, he owed it to his best friend a valid explanation.

Just as the swallowed food got stuck halfway, he decided to tell the truth halfway. After forcing the stuck food down his throat by gulping from the chilled glass cup of water before him, he spoke "You see ... you bring Rachael along with you to read most times. I feel oppressed a little because I don't have a girlfriend. More so, I feel like I sometimes innocently interfere with your personal discussions with Rachael." This was quite surprising to Ben. He was surprised at John's response because this was far from what Ben suspected to be the reason for John's action. Ben imagined his reading pattern was the cause for John's action. Ben was accustomed to reading only for five to six hours, at most, at a stretch while John could read for much longer. He also asked a lot of questions from John while they read together. He assumed these were the reasons. John made Ben realize it was neither of those reasons. He further explained that Ben's consistent questions help him to understand the notes and topics better. Ben also explained that John was not unduly interrupting his conversations with Rachael. He also apologized if he and Rachael had subconsciously made John feel oppressed, but, it was never their intentions. Ben was relieved that the issue was cleared amicably. John was rather relieved his plans were not revealed.

Few days later, John was still on campus. He had not travelled home for the holidays. On a cool afternoon, he laid on his bed, looking to the ceiling and thinking about Cindy, he decided to call her.
"Hello, how are you?"
"Who is speaking?"
"It is I, John. Don't you have my phone number anymore?"
"Ok, John. What can I do for you?"
"I just wanted to check up on you. Ummmm ... and .... to ask if we can meet this evening ... provided you are not busy."
"You guessed right. I am busy. We can't meet."
"What day can we meet? I have something important to tell you."
"Ok. Let's meet this evening at the café."
"You said you were busy."
"Don't worry about that."
Just before John could say thank you and goodbye, the call ended. This left John wondering whether Cindy had ended the call or it was bad reception. John also pondered on why Cindy couldn't recognize his number. "Did she delete my number from her phone?" he thought. The third and most troubling thing to John was the hostility in her voice. "All the time we read together for exams, Cindy never talked to me this way" John said to himself.

John felt glad that he was meeting Cindy. He thought, "All my plans are going accordingly. Soon, I will also have a girlfriend." When it was about the time they had agreed to meet, John got into a white T-shirt and a pair of blue jeans. He wore white sneakers and dark shade glasses. He took a look at the mirror to admire himself. He used his thumb and his index finger to rub his mustache down to his goatee, before, he took a turn and left the room. They met at the café. There were lots of empty tables at the café that day because school was on holidays and most students had returned home. John picked the table beside the window for them to sit. But, Cindy felt it was a bad idea. She didn't want passersby to see them eating together. So, she asked that they move to another seat far away from the window, and even, inconspicuous to anyone who comes into the café. John couldn't decipher Cindy's reason for the seat she chose. He just went on with her.
They made their order and John paid for it. As they ate, John pondered on when was the perfect time to deliver his important speech. Over the past few weeks, he had searched his dictionary for certain words and thought of several manners by which he would make his feelings known to Cindy. He finally had a mental picture of how he thought it would go. However, his heart was beating too fast that he feared he could not stick to his plan. All the words he had planned to use ran out of his brain. He was lost and empty in his brain that it was beginning to show on his face. Cindy had to ask him, "What's wrong with you?" "Nooo ... noooo ... nothing" he replied. "Ok. What is the important thing you have for me?" Cindy said. This time, he couldn't stammer. His tongues failed to move. His brain was empty. His heart was racing. The only thought in his head was, "Oh my God, please, help me."

He forced himself to calm down a bit. In a bid to buy more time and to search for words to say, he chewed the food in his mouth a little longer than usual and drank water to push it down his throat. Eventually, when all his tactics were exhausted, he opened his mouth to speak, "For quite a long time, I have had ... feelings ... for you. Ummmm ... I didn't know how to approach you to let you know how I felt until we got closer during this examination period. We read together and I got to like you even more. Cindy, I like you a lot ... I looo ... love ... you. I think we ... " Cindy initially rested her hands on the table. As John spoke, she already knew where the conversation was heading towards. She sat upright and rested her back on the chair. She shook her head a couple of times as John spoke, but, he did not notice. John's head was down as he spoke; his eyes were locked on the table, moving between the cups and the plates.

John lifted his head up when Cindy interrupted his speech. He was expecting to see a somewhat relaxed and smiling face. He thought his speech was having a pleasant effect on Cindy. He assumed his feeling was mutual. His assumption was based on how Cindy related to him during the times they read together - she tapped his shoulder to get his attention rather than call his name; she placed her hands on his shoulders whenever he was explaining the notes and topics to her; while studying, their eyes occasionally met, and they smile to each other whenever this happened; while walking to and from the library, they sometimes bumped shoulders together; she might have also held his hands a number of times while they discussed; she called him often, even at odd times of the night during the examination period. On seeing the uneasiness Cindy wore on her face, John was rather perplexed. He knew something must be wrong.

"Hey, please just hold it there. Hmmm ... I am surprised you are telling me all these. I thought you meant something really important. It's best that I make it clear to you. John, I cannot date you. I have a boyfriend." She read the amazement on John when she said she had a boyfriend. So, she continued, "He graduated five years ago. He works in a bank in this city. He usually comes around in his car to pick me up after class." In John's head, it was as if the world stood still; even his heart must have stopped and stood still. Cindy kept on talking, "Even if I do not have a boyfriend, what makes you think I will date an undergraduate like you? Well, except if the student is very rich, and I mean, very rich. This would mean his parents are top politicians in the country or they own a multimillion-dollar company. Then, I would consider. It is obvious I need to take care of myself, and, this costs more money than the stipends students can offer."

A loud bell rang in John's head and the echo gave him a headache. "John, I read with you only because you are brilliant and you can teach me the things I do not know. We are friends and I wish we continue that way. To be sincere with you, I decided to meet with you because my boyfriend had a football match to watch. I know how engrossed he is when his favourite club team plays and I would rather be anywhere else than be with him while he watches the football match. If you don't mind, I will like to take my leave now as the football match would be coming to an end soon. Thanks for the meal."

Cindy stood up while she was still completing her last sentence. John's eyes were as red as crimson. He had to force himself not to cry. He could not utter any word. The bell sound kept on echoing in his head, intensifying his headache. Just as Cindy stood up, Rachael walked into the café with two of her friends. Her fast-moving eyes sighted John and she waved to him. John forced out a smile from his red-eyed thunder-stricken face in response to Rachael's wave. Rachael and her friends picked a seat and continued their conversation.

Cindy walked out of the café while John was still digesting all he heard from her. As much as he prevented himself from crying, he couldn't help it as a cold tear rolled down his hot chin from his left eye. He knew it was time to leave, or else, he would embarrass himself with sobs that others would notice. Then, he remembered he had brought a dark-shade goggles with him. He used it to cover up his tear-filled eyes. On getting to his room, he was glad not to have met Ben. He laid on his bed and wondered. He felt pain and anger all at once. He felt he was deceived. He felt Cindy took advantage of his emotions for her selfish gain. As he pondered on all these, tears kept rolling down his cheeks. Suddenly, he heard the sound of the door knob moving. He knew it must be Ben. He quickly cleaned his face and pretended to be asleep while Ben came inside. In his pretense, he decided he would travel home the following day as there was nothing more keeping him on campus during the holidays.

(To be continued)
www.teachingoftheword.com/show_story.php?story_id=108
Re: Fickle Heart by jhuzcoyle(m): 5:40pm On Jul 12, 2015
following
Re: Fickle Heart by TRalph(m): 10:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
Episode 3 - Turning Around

It was resumption again. The beginning of a new session was always annoying to John. He considered the new students as nuisance to the school because they were always everywhere. He always thought the crowd of new students were as pieces of tiny paper littering the whole ground. Those new students would always ask silly questions about things in the school. The only kind of question John felt obligated to answer a wandering new student is the question to help the student locate a classroom or a building. Ben always tried his best to correct this notion. But, John was consistently adamant. "When I was a new student, I made good use of the student handbook and the school maps. So, I don't need to ask silly questions from anyone," that has always been John's reply.

This time, John was even angrier because of what happened late last session. Cindy's cynical reply to his relationship proposal and her abrupt dismissal of him had left a huge black scaly scar in his mind. His anger was fueled when he spotted Cindy in front of the departmental office. She had just alighted from a black jeep. A dark big bearded guy with small eyes was driving. He was in black suit with red tie. She had leaned sideways for a kiss before she alighted. "That must be the rich boyfriend," John said to himself. Ben did not recognize the real cause of John's anger expressed in his eyes. He assumed John was angry because of the new students roaming about. So, Ben did not notice anything unusual.

A large crowd had gathered in front of the departmental notice board to check the results to the examinations last semester. John and Ben had managed to struggle through the crowd to the front of the list containing the results for their class. John had all As in 8 courses. Yet he was angry because he did not score 90s but 80s. Additionally, he checked Cindy's grades and realized she had 6 As. He had wished she did not pass that much. At the same time, he knew he taught her well, so, it was almost impossible for her to fail. Ben also had 6 As and 2 Bs. This time Ben knew something must be wrong because John's face was fuming with disgust. It was as if his nostrils was breathing out smoke and fire. Ben could not help but ask, "John, what is wrong with you?" John said, "Let's leave, please. I'll explain when we get back to the room."

Ben was surprised to hear all John had to say. He wondered why John did not mention a word about it to him. It was not time to play the blame game, Ben thought to himself. However, he could not help but talk to John about the hate that was bottled deep inside. "John, you can't hate her because she doesn't want to date you. The hatred and bitterness doesn't affect her. It destroys you; it eats you up till there's nothing left inside you but hate for all women. This is not the path you want to follow. Trust me." Ben sighed. He added, "More so, God says we should love one another with agape love."

John was not absolutely sure if all he heard made any effect on how he felt. This he was sure of, he felt lighter in his heart after he told his best friend all that transpired between Cindy and himself. That evening was the first day of fellowship in the semester. Academic work had not started, so, John had no excuse to miss fellowship meeting. Throughout the service, John felt as if all those who spoke on the altar knew his mind - the drama presentation was on forgiveness; the choir's song was titled "Letting Go of the Past"; the welcome banner read "Fresh Start". Finally, the student pastor preached and made a statement that struck John really hard like lightning "God could bring about new beginnings if only you would just allow God."

Throughout the semester, John was not bitter, neither did he carry hatred around like a huge bag of sand and stones around his neck dragging him down. John did not develop any crush for any other lady throughout the semester. Even John was surprised at himself. Ben told him that his consistent attendance to fellowship meetings had caused it. John refuted, but, he could not really deny that it was a contributing factor. John was so consistent at fellowship meetings that he joined the ushering group. Ben always teased him that he was the tallest amongst the ushers. John usually smiled and added that he was the also the most handsome. John had a pretty great semester. He had all As in all his courses as usual. He felt good about himself, those around him and his Creator.
In the passage of time, the session ended, which was the end of 300 level. John, Ben and Rachael got together to celebrate the end of the session. They drank Coke and ate some snacks. They were excited that the beginning of the next session would be the last session for them as undergraduates.

Ben's mobile phone beeped. It was the alarm he had set for the fellowship get together that evening. The event was to take place at the school's garden. The get together was a social event organized as thanksgiving to God for the successful completion of the session. John, Ben and Rachael wished they had not eaten before attending the event. This was because there was so much food available to eat. People sang, some danced, some played the puppet, some read poems and so on. It was all fun. After a while, it was not so much fun when John felt isolated as Ben and Rachael took their punch drinks, sat under a tree alone and were engrossed in their love-talks as usual.

John strolled around till his eye caught something interesting. It was a tall dark lady with long dark hair. She was a familiar face. He noticed he had seen her singing amidst the choir; possibly taken a couple of solos in church and led a number of worship sessions. This evening, at the get together, it seemed she had exceptionally long legs. As he checked her out, stylishly and subconsciously, with the side of his eyes, he noticed a spider climbing up her flower-designed dress. If it was a small spider, he would have easily ignored it. But, the spider was considerably large. He hesitated in telling her because he felt it would be somewhat embarrassing to himself, since, he had been staring at her. More so, he noticed the spider when it was at her bust region. After a careful consideration of all the factors involved, he decided to keep shut.

John took a peek at Ben and Rachael where they were seated. Just as he turned his head around, he heard a scream. It was the voice of a lady. He turned around again to see she was screaming with her hands held up in the air. She stood up from the tree root, where she sat, and was jumping and shaking her body in an attempt to shake off the spider, which was by her neck region by now. Her friends around her could not help her as they were all afraid to remove the spider. John did not hesitate. He ran towards her and pulled off the spider with his index finger and his thumb. He flung it towards the bush nearby. She had to catch her breath before she could even say thank you. Her friends just kept laughing because of her hysteric reaction.

John turned around, wanting to go back to his seat, she said, "Can I at least know your name?" John turned around and said, "I am John." "I am Esther," she replied. The conversation kept going. In no time, they were alone, seated on the tree root where she was before. John never hiccupped or stammered as they spoke. He was as fluent as ever. John knew he was not under any pressure talking with her. They exchanged phone numbers. After the get together was over, he could not just leave her so he walked her to her room, continuing their discussion. He wished he had known her long ago because he really enjoyed her company.

John travelled home for the sessional break. Throughout the break, John kept in touch with Esther. They called often and texted always. They were enthusiastic for resumption because they wanted to talk physically once more. John knew he had developed emotions for Esther and he suspected she had done the same too.

(To be continued...)
www.teachingoftheword.com/show_story.php?story_id=109
Re: Fickle Heart by TRalph(m): 10:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
Episode 4 - Love Maniac

It was resumption of their final session in the university. For the first time, John was not bothered about the rowdy nature of resumptions anymore. It could have been because he was happy this was the last year in school. It could have been because of the enthusiasm to see Esther. Or, it could have been both. But, John knew the greater reason was because he was meeting Esther on the day of resumption.

John arrived early at school and so did Esther. After settling in their hostels, they met that morning at the cafeteria. They greeted each other with a hug. They felt so glad to have met. It was as though they could not stop talking. There was always something to talk about. John felt Esther was funny. He was mesmerized with her bright smile. Esther had curled her long dark hair, which made John to like it the more. They chatted and did not realize how far time had gone by. John's phone rang. It was Ben calling to know where Ben was. Not long after, John and Esther left the cafeteria and he walked her to her room.

On getting to the room, John was so excited. He told Ben he had something important to tell him. Ben had a hint that Esther and John kept in touch throughout the break. However, Ben was still surprised when John said, "I think I have grown strong emotions for Esther... I think I ... Ehmmm... Love her." "Do you know what you're saying?" Ben replied. However, he did not want John to feel bad. He realized how excited John was, and, he did not want to crush the excitement. At the same time, he knew it was serious because John never knew how to handle emotional matters properly. Ben smiled and added, "No wonder you have been excited all day like honeybee that found nectar; you've been flapping your wings like a butterfly around a flower; wagging your tail like a dog playing fetch." Ben concluded with, "You know you have to pray about it, right?"

John knew Ben was right to have suggested prayer. John understood that as a Christian, he had to always be led by the Holy Spirit. He had to know what the will of God was and find the courage to follow the same. He had also learnt from fellowship meetings that one of the ways to identify the will of God on any matter is to pray about it. Despite all he knew, John was afraid to pray. He had cultivated so much emotion for Esther that he was scared to let her go. John wondered if he prayed and he perceives God's will to be a no towards Esther, it would be too difficult to let her go.

One day, John and Esther were walking towards the library as they met one of John's classmates. As they exchanged greetings, John hesitated as he introduced Esther. He did not know who to say she was, whether a friend or something more. If he says she's a friend, he knew he wanted something more than friendship with her. He could not say she was his girlfriend either, because, he had not asked her out. He struggled in his mind till he got a word to use. "Meet my close friend Esther," John said to his classmate as they exchanged pleasantries and shook hands. That was when John knew he had to take Ben's advice seriously. He had to pray and be sure of God's will, so that he would confidently be able to either call Esther his close friend or his girlfriend.

One Sunday evening, John stayed behind at the fellowship building to pray. He did not know how to go about it. He just knelt down, closed his eyes and spoke from his heart. It was more like an explanation than a request. He just kept talking back and forth about how much he loved Esther and how much he wanted to know the will of God. After a few minutes, he left for his hostel. The following morning, during his devotion, he made the same prayer again after he had read a portion of the Bible. He knew he had a feeling strong inside him that made him sure dating Esther was God's will. However, he was not so sure because he thought it could just be reinforced emotions for Esther. So, in his subsequent prayers, he begged God for a sign. John so much wanted a mysterious sign from anywhere that he could interpret. Nothing of such was coming. Until a Sunday morning, the student pastor preached about hearing from God. It was then that John knew that the still voice inside a Christian is the voice of the Holy Spirit. This made John convinced of what God's will was. This confirmation of God's will should have resolved all of John's worries, but, there was another problem.

John decided to ask Esther out on a Saturday evening. He had planned to take her to the school garden where the fellowship get-together held last session. This was because they first spoke to each other at the school garden. They discussed on a lot of things that evening. John was afraid of starting up the main conversation of the day because of his worry. Even though he knew for sure Esther had feelings for him, he was still somehow scared of how she might react when he asked her out. Eventually, when it was getting late and it was obviously time to leave, John had no choice than to throw his fears away because he did not want to waste a perfectly good evening. John started. In a long time, he had not stammered before a lady. But this time, his speech was filled with lots of stammers. He explained how he had emotions for Esther, how he prayed and how he was convinced about dating her and how he was scared of how she might react if he asked her out. To John's amazement, Esther was smiling all through.

In the end, when he said, "Esther, I love you." She started laughing so much that she fell off her seat. John quickly reached for her before she fell down completely. So, they stood up in each other's arms. John was not so sure of what to think this time. They could not let go of the hug. Esther was still in her laughing mode as she replied, "I love you, too." John felt so relieved. Esther added, "I had already prayed about it and was convinced all through the holiday. I waited for you to make the move all these while. Not knowing that you were scared. And, that was why I laughed." John felt even more relieved. She rested her head on John's shoulder and the hug lasted even longer. John walked her back to her hostel.

That day was the happiest day of John's life. He could not wait to break the news to Ben. He was so excited. He met Ben and Rachael in the room. He told both of them the news. They were both happy for him. Ben teased John by calling him, "Lover boy." John jumped to his bed as he said, "I'm a lover boy. I'm glad to be in love. It feels so good to be in love and be loved in return."

Throughout the semester, John and Esther did almost everything together. They played, read and ate together. It was almost impossible to meet John without finding Esther around. Towards the end of the semester, John's dad lost his job. Things got financially tight at home. John was not receiving as much allowance as he did before. Ben supported John as a friend would.

At the resumption of the second semester, a list was pasted at the department. It contained a few names. John's name was included. It was list of exceptionally excellent students qualified to take a nationwide test for a scholarship to sponsor the student for a Master’s degree in any desired university in the country. A monetary prize reward was to be given to the top three candidates. It also had an internship program with the World Bank and a possible job offer as well. John was very happy. Five students had been shortlisted from his school. About three hundred students would be taking the test nationwide. He knew he had to prepare even harder. On completing the information on the notice board, he realized a fee had to be paid. That was when the financial implication dawned on him. His sharp mind had calculated the entry fee, travel cost, feeding and accommodation for the two-day program. He knew he could not afford it. He felt very sad. His hope was dashed instantly.

When he told Esther, she assured him not to worry at all. She said she would pay for all the costs that would be incurred for the program. John was really surprised Esther could raise such a large amount of money for him. He could not hide the joy he felt, as he hugged her, lifter her up and gave a kiss on her head. Ben was very happy for John that he could participate in the program.

John prepared so hard for the test. He could not bear to think the money Esther had dropped would go to waste if he lost. He prayed every day that he should win. Soon, it was the weekend for the program. John went in his black suit. He was not intimidated when he heard the other candidates were the best students in their own universities. After the test, the grand speech and banquet the following day, the winners were announced. John emerged the best student in the test. The runner ups were from different universities in the country. John was so happy that he called Esther immediately to tell her about the good news.

He arrived at school the next day. John became so famous as his name and picture appeared on the national newspaper as the first prize winner. He had been interviewed by television stations after the program which aired live that evening. He received the cash prize the following week. Esther and John had a personal celebration. Ben, Rachael and Esther organized a little celebration for John. John was quite glad he had friends who he could share his up and down moments with.

(To be continued...)
http://www.teachingoftheword.com/show_story.php?story_id=110
Re: Fickle Heart by TRalph(m): 2:43am On Jul 22, 2015
Episode Finale 5 - Tests and Temptations

It is crazy how one can suddenly become famous by appearing just once on a newspaper, John soon realized. Wherever he went on campus, he noticed the long stare and admirable look at him by those around. A lot of times, some people in groups whispered and pointed at him. In buses, people have occasionally asked, "Are you the one that won the national competition sponsored by the World Bank?"

One afternoon, John got a call from a number he could not identify because it was not on his phone's contact list. Upon picking the call, he could identify that it was Cindy's voice. He had not spoken with her since like forever, John thought. Actually, they had met in class a number of times but they never had any reason to talk. John was amazed when Cindy was speaking on the phone as if they were very good friends. John was not bitter and angry at her anymore. Since he started attending fellowship consistently and studying the Bible, he had no bitterness left in him. So, he found no fault when Cindy said she would like to see him the following day at the department.

The next day, John met Cindy after class. They stood around the lecture theatre's door and discussed. Cindy asked that they go to the cafeteria to have lunch as they continue their conversation, but, John refused. He knew having lunch with Cindy could be awkward in that he's already in a relationship with someone else. He also wondered what on earth could they discuss for so long that they could not finish at the lecture theatre's door. So, he gave an excuse, "I'm sorry I want to work on my final year thesis. There's quite a lot I've got to do today." Cindy offered that they meet another time. John replied that he's not sure if that would be possible. As John was about leaving, Cindy came close to give him a hug. She was already too close that John had to receive the hug, but, he quickly dismissed himself and left. As he walked back to his dormitory, he pondered on all that happened, thinking of Cindy's sudden interest in him.

The same evening, he got a text from Cindy saying she just wanted to check up on him and wishing him a pleasant night. "This is getting really awkward," he told himself. Cindy made several calls trying to arrange a meeting with John. But, he kept giving excuses. On a rainy weekend, John was lying on the bed, thinking about Esther. He had tried to complete a chapter in one of his textbooks, but, could not do so because random thoughts of Esther flew in his heart like Brownian motion. His phone rang. It was Cindy calling. She did not even exchange greetings as she suddenly rushed her words like a machine gun pouring out bullets. John could barely pick her words. All he knew was that she said she could not stop thinking about him. And she ended her speech with "I love you." Somewhere in between, she said she had broken up with her boyfriend months ago because he was cheating on her.

At first, John cut the line instantly. Then, he called her back and all he said was, "I'm sorry. I am in love with someone else...very much in love with her." Before Cindy could complete her statement, "I know you've been avoiding me. Please, let's meet at ..." John cut the line. When she called, he did not bother picking up at all. She called a few more times and stopped calling. Later, when Ben returned, John told Ben about all that had happened, Ben laughed and said, "Now that you're famous and you're like the school's superstar, she loves you." They both had a really big laugh about it.

The semester continued as usual until it was the end of the session and they all graduated from the university. John was to resume his internship program immediately with the World Bank. He had to travel to the nearest headquarters in the country at the capital city. He was lodged at a five-star hotel in the city. All expenses were covered by the internship program. John was excited at the program. He was ready and prepared to put in his best. He resumed work by morning and returned late at night at the hotel.

One night as he returned from work, his head was pounding due to the intense work he had to do at the office. He staggered a little because he was both really tired and very sleepy. He was about bringing out his phone from his pocket to give Esther a call so they could talk till he ate dinner and slept off. His hands was still stuck as it tried to find his way out of his left pocket with the phone, when his sleepy eyes caught an interesting sight. It was a light-complexioned skinny lady in a short blue dress. The heels of her shoes made a sharp sound that pierced his ears and awoke his sleepy mind. The dress was too short and revealing her legs and thighs.

John was still fixed on her lower body when he realized the figure he had seen was walking towards him. As he lifted up his gaze, he saw her face. She was smiling as she flipped her long hair backwards. After a second, which felt like minutes to John, he identified it was his high school mate, Linda. He smiled back and also walked towards her. He was about stretching his hands for a handshake when she open her arms wide open for a hug. She said she was about taking the elevator to her room when she saw him at the entrance and decided to say hello. They took the elevator together catching up on some gist from high school. After they departed for their rooms, John eventually put a call to Esther. He told her about his high school mate whom he met at the hotel.

As John slept that night, he remembered how he and Linda sat next to each other in the same class for four consecutive years in high school. He remembered he had a crush on her, but, he could not tell her. In Linda's case, it was not his timid nature before girls that made him not to tell Linda about his feelings. But, it was because he feared she did not like him that way, and, he does not want to ruin their good friendship. At the hotel, Linda told him she would be staying for a month because of a conference she wanted to attend in the capital city. Every day for the rest of the week, they met at the evening, ordered meals, and ate together in Linda's room, before John returned to his room, gave Esther a call and retired to bed. They both enjoyed their conversations, especially the gossips on other high school mates.

One weekend, Linda came to John's room. John was barely awake. He had hoped to utilize the weekend to have a satisfactory rest from the demanding internship work during the past weekdays. But, he could not refuse Linda from coming in. They discussed as usual. Until suddenly Linda leaned forward to give John a kiss on his cheeks. John could not explain the rush he felt within him. It was as though, an electric current was flowing in his veins, but it did not hurt; it was rather a pleasant electric rush. In a split second of lost reasoning, before Linda could lean back from her kiss gesture, John turned his lips to catch hers and kissed her. Linda placed her hands across John and the kiss continued for a few seconds. It got so intense and it was almost leading to something else before John recovered his senses and pulled away.

He hurriedly stood up and rushed to the wall. He kept saying he was sorry and Linda kept replying that he should not be sorry. She stood up to meet him where he stood. John could not almost resist her welcoming walk, before he shouted, "I'm already dating someone." She placed her body on his as she said, "It does not matter." Her last statement rang in his brain like a huge loud bell. The echoes from the loud ringing bell woke him up from the slumbering temptation. He was shocked that she would not mind having sex with him despite the fact that he was in a serious relationship with someone. Linda noticed the shock in his facial expression and he pushed her slightly away. Linda replied, "I'm also seeing someone and it doesn't matter if two old friends catch up. I know you liked me in high school. It was very evident in your eyes and the way you looked at me. Well, I liked you too. And, it is no crime if we enjoy each other here, even if it is just for one night."

John could not believe his ears. He picked up his shirt, wore it and asked her to leave his room immediately. At first Linda thought it was a joke as she could not believe anyone could resist her charms. As John shouted her to leave the second time, she dashed out angrily, slamming the door behind her as she left.
John was ridden with guilt because of what happened. He could not believe he had carelessly allowed things to go that far with Linda. Tears rolled down his eyes as he thought about how he had betrayed Esther. He fell to his knees as he thought about God. He stretched his hand to his bed and took out his Bible. All he could say was asking for forgiveness and the strength to tell Esther what had happened. Even though he did not have sexual relations with Linda, he felt the guilt as though he had done it. Before it was noon, he packed his bags and told Esther he was coming over to her city for a short visit. He did not explain why. He just said he had something important to tell her.

He arrived at Esther's apartment quite late. He held her hands and fell to his knees as he explained all that happened. Esther pulled her hands off his grasp. She held her hands to her face. She felt a hurt rising in her chest region, to her throat. She took some steps backwards till she sat down. Her eyes was all wet as she said, "Why? John, why?" John could not answer. He held his face down in disappointment. He remained on his knees while Esther remained on her sit with her hands on her chest as though she was trying to stop the hurt from radiating from her heart.

The silence for the next two hours was like eternity of judgment and suffering for John. Esther prayed in her heart as she looked at John. As much as she hurt, the love in her heart for John started curing the hurt gradually. It was a though a ray, then, a beam of light was penetrating and lighting up a thick darkness in her mind. She moved towards John and raised his heads up. John closed his eyes and could not open it as he said sorry, again and again. He probably expected a slap on his cheeks. But, Esther kissed his forehead and used her fingers to open his eyes. John could not believe what was happening. He closed his eyes and opened them again to be sure he was not dreaming. Then, Esther said, "I forgive you. To be fair, you did not fall totally for the temptation. Even according to the Bible, a righteous man falls seven times and rises again. But, you only staggered, and then, you got back to your feet." They both stood up and John put his arms around her. Esther did the same too. John felt a relief from his guilt and Esther was relieved from her hurt.

(The End)
http://www.teachingoftheword.com/show_story.php?story_id=111
Re: Fickle Heart by TRalph(m): 2:45am On Jul 22, 2015
From T-Ralph

Meet me at http://www.teachingoftheword.com for more poems, articles and stories.
You may also kindly drop a review here http://www.teachingoftheword.com/show_story.php?story_id=111
Thank you.
Re: Fickle Heart by Trendin(m): 4:42pm On Aug 20, 2015
testing...pls don't delete

Re: Fickle Heart by Trendin(m): 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2015
still on it......don't delete

Re: Fickle Heart by Trendin(m): 4:44pm On Aug 20, 2015
last

Re: Fickle Heart by Trendin(m): 4:55pm On Aug 20, 2015
k

(1) (Reply)

Brother Tobe's Diary / Flower Boy / Future In Chaos (A True Life Short Story)written By Etz Sky Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.