Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable (28513 Views)

Why Nigerian Certificates Lose Value — UK School / Nigerian Graduates With First-Class From Canada University / 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Youths Do Not Go To Church - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
joseph1832:
So according to the OP, he is saying all Nigerian graduates are unemployable? Never minding the ones who are gainfully employed?
I never mentioned that though
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by RapLawd(m): 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
INTROVERT:
How about

When you don't have a godfather.

Then you will probably need a godmother grin

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by HARRYFORD1986: 12:39pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:

I tire

And here comes some of the so-called graaduates.... grin grin grin wink wink wink
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 10, 2015
histemple:
This points are absolutely true. No doubt. But while we ascribe the avoidable but pitiable unemployment rate in our nation to these excuses, It is my informed submission that all graduates are employable but the conundrum is identifying where such graduates are needed to fully maximize their latent potential. And based on this premise, it is a problem of lack of sufficient employment opportunities. Even in the best universities in the world, we still have dunce there and some of their graduates are also incompetent but that is not to totally exonerate some of our schools from the blame. Our curriculum needs to be reviewed because sometimes they load our brains with courses that are not related or useful to our course of study.
The university/college only guides an individual to achieve a well defined controlled behaviour called discipline but how far you develop yourself is entirely your own volition depending on how voracious you are for more information and knowledge. Thanks to the Internet.
Our government should create jobs for everyone because I insist that all graduates are employable in some areas across all the sectors of the economy including agriculture. Government should stop hiding under the cloak of unemployability to justify the lack of job creation.
Most importantly, while everyone can't be entrepreneurs, our graduates should consider self employment. Have you ever wondered why there is no employee in the list of the world's richest persons?
you know book ooo... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by omanifrank(m): 12:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:

And here comes some of the so-called graaduates.... grin grin grin wink wink wink
so wetin u comment now make sense
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by juman(m): 12:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
Those saying that are silly.

Nigerian graduates are employable. Rather there are not enough jobs for graduates to do in the country.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
[size=15pt]Bitter Truth
[/size]

They Are Educated Illiterates
According to a Nigerian minister who once announced that Nigerian youths are unemployable in defense of a question posed against the then President about his negligence in terms of job provision. He said “Just going to school and getting a certificate is not a guarantee of getting a job. Every employer wants beyond just a certificate. Every employer is out to employ someone with reasoning and intellectual might, not someone who cannot play with a full deck. Someone who knows how to and wants to learn more than what they studied in school and on the job. Someone who can readily bring ideas to the table on how the company can forge forward. Not someone with low reasoning capability who won't even be able to answer extremely trivial questions.“. A graduate is expected to develop him or herself so one can refer to such person as a worthy and employable graduate.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by joseph1832(m): 12:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:
I never mentioned that though
Your topic says: "why Nigerian graduates are unemployable". Its a fallacy. You should edit it to "why many or some Nigerian graduates are unemployable". We both know we know many Nigerian graduates who are more than employable. Lol.

It is well bro!.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by lexy2014: 12:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
tuoyoojo:
ok

we were made to believe that once u get good grades in school that a job would be waiting for u....in so doing the innate entrepreneurial traits is then allowed to die.
this i believe is the reason for the quagmire we are in now

..so hence this over dependence on jobs...

i believe there should be change in school curriculum to include business management which should be to incorporated as part of the courses which is mandatory no matter what course one is reading in school

so that when students graduate, they could stand on their own
U c, d mentality is all about school, curriculum and what have u. Our graduates are unemployable...has anyone ever asked how many jobs is d economy producing in relation 2 jobs? Universities admit thousands of students every year much more than they have facilities 2 cater 4? In d end, more graduates than d economy can absorb. Even if they all become entrepreneurs, how possible? First, we don't need all these graduates. Not everyone should go 2 university. Its d truth. When u allow d university become an all comers affair, that's when we start saying our graduates are unemployable. How wouldn't they b when they are more than d jobs available. If from d secondary school level d wheat is seperated from d chaff(I mean no disrespect), and those that aren't meant 2go 2 univeRsity are encouraged 2 pursue other endeavours, we wouldn't b speaking all this grammar now
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Lyndylove: 12:50pm On Jul 10, 2015
That of educated illiterates is so true. Some people are graduates but their intelligent quotient and logical abilities even after graduation is beyond par. Spelling mistakes and grammatical blunders must be involved in every sentence they construct and yet, they'll be expecting a well-paid job. Like seriously? Who's gonna employ you when you've failed the basics?

COMING SOON!
THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!
JULY 15TH!!!

[Music] LYNDY _ MY HERO [A TRIBUTE TO
DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN]

IT DROPS ON JULY 15TH!!!
YOU DON'T WANNA MISS THIS!!!
Follow on twitter: @ Lyndymk
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by 1metre: 12:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
Go to school and face ur studies and stop accusing lecturers...
kennboiy:
No be our fault na,some lecturer no de do their job na only to de follow woman.See them with pot bellies
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by kennboiy(m): 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
1metre:
Go to school and face ur studies and stop accusing lecturers...
But we don finish na,abi u wan make i go back to k.g class? wink wink
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 10, 2015
RapLawd:

Then you will probably need a godmother grin
lol...u sha force me comment

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by stchinedu: 1:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
INTROVERT:
How about

When you don't have a godfather.
I believe the OP, especially on the first point.

One of the youth corp members, that just finished their service year, worked in my office. He got a job last two months in an oil company in PH while in service. This is not a case of how connected you are...He was offered because of the skill he exhibited when he was doing is I.T with the company. In fact, they told him to finish his service before resuming...They knew he was serving.

He told me he was asked what skills he had and he told them he could make an architectural design of buildings just like architects do. He told them he learnt it when he was in JS3 and it thrilled them! He was asked to do a design of one of the offices which he did excellently. I equally ceased the opportunity to ask him to make a design of my house (I just finished building it), and he did it so well.

The OP is really right on that. Take a good sampling of the graduates we have today...They have nothing to show aside the certificate they have. Honestly, it's always difficult for people like that to get a job. Majority of the companies will see them as people who lack initiative... people who are so 'monologue'.

Just recently, I was given a slot by a friend who heads the health department at PHCN to bring a qualified nurse, I sent the name and CV of my candidate...the rest is history. She has a good CV but in the interview, she was a disgrace. She lost the opportunity of earning #250k, excluding allowances. I was not bothered by her lose but for the embarrassment it gave me that she was my candidate. Infact, they were wondering if that was her CV or we made it up.

I am not saying that everything the OP posted is correct but many are. We need to stop the victim mentality and begin to live positively. There is no hiding the fact that many who are in school are just there so they too can say, 'I am in school'. Many do not even have a good idea of the course they are studying. They are just there because it is the course the school gave them. Another danger to this is the fact that many go through school but the school does not go through them... ask our 'aristos' and 'play boys'

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 1:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
joseph1832:

It is well bro!.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by tete7000(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2015
Society does not preach that there is dignity in labour anymore. Imagine Tinubu during APC campaign then at the height of the buhari scandal told his audience to my bemusement: 'Qualified or not qualified, certificate or not certificate, Buhari is the man'. Many too said even if Buhari comes with tissue paper as certificate, they will vote.
While I am not insinuating whether the President posses certificate or not, the utterances of people who suppose to drive the thrust of radical education development within that period called for concern. They basically inadvertently preached to young aspiring students that your educational attainment does not matter so far you have been anointed be powers that be. We are people who preached excellence with one side of our mouth but demonstrate practically that excellence is not required to be success. The result is the downward trend in our educational growth.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Spyde(m): 1:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
Everybody is a cause of unemployment, bt only d unemployed youth suffers d consequences.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Daresh(f): 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
EduRegard:

SOURCE

I dont think the job application is ridiculous. I want young sharp minds towork for me. I graduated at 21 from UNILAG and at 28 I had 6 years experience outside NYSC.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
I definitely hate idi.otic condescending threads like this. It just shows how wicked & unfeeling some of us become when we become fortunate in life.

How about saying Nigeria graduates are unemployable because of lack of jobs & failure of governance!
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by millionboi(m): 1:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
i blame our leaders for al dis trash
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2015
Oduduwaboy:
I definitely hate idi.otic condescending threads like this. It just shows how wicked & unfeeling some of us become when we become fortunate in life.

How about saying Nigeria graduates are unemployable because of lack of jobs & failure of governance!
lol
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 10, 2015
Daresh:

I dont think the job application is ridiculous. I want young sharp minds towork for me. I graduated at 21 from UNILAG and at 28 I had 6 years experience outside NYSC.
dey fool ursef
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by ipheoluwa22: 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2015
[quote author=XuteSleeks post=35701167][/quote]m who and who are the employees??
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Aspireahead(m): 1:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
stchinedu:

I believe the OP, especially on the first point.

One of the youth corp members, that just finished their service year, worked in my office. He got a job last two months in an oil company in PH while in service. This is not a case of how connected you are...He was offered because of the skill he exhibited when he was doing is I.T with the company. In fact, they told him to finish his service before resuming...They knew he was serving.

He told me he was asked what skills he had and he told them he could make an architectural design of buildings just like architects do. He told them he learnt it when he was in JS3 and it thrilled them! He was asked to do a design of one of the offices which he did excellently. I equally ceased the opportunity to ask him to make a design of my house (I just finished building it), and he did it so well.

The OP is really right on that. Take a good sampling of the graduates we have today...They have nothing to show aside the certificate they have. Honestly, it's always difficult for people like that to get a job. Majority of the companies will see them as people who lack initiative... people who are so 'monologue'.

Just recently, I was given a slot by a friend who heads the health department at PHCN to bring a qualified nurse, I sent the name and CV of my candidate...the rest is history. She has a good CV but in the interview, she was a disgrace. She lost the opportunity of earning #250k, excluding allowances. I was not bothered by her lose but for the embarrassment it gave me that she was my candidate. Infact, they were wondering if that was her CV or we made it up.

I am not saying that everything the OP posted is correct but many are. We need to stop the victim mentality and begin to live positively. There is no hiding the fact that many who are in school are just there so they too can say, 'I am in school'. Many do not even have a good idea of the course they are studying. They are just there because it is the course the school gave them. Another danger to this is the fact that many go through school but the school does not go through them... ask our 'aristos' and 'play boys'
i am quoting you because i am an undergraduate who will soon be thrown into the labor market and be termed `unemployable' after 4/5 years in school. I still believe that problem lies with our educational system ,nay our schools in that there is no focus on practicals nor reward for excellence.
my department for one does not encourage any outside academics be it social or political. it will surely tell on your result if you go against them. there is no guarantee if you heed their prayers though. what am saying in essence is that the university tries to kill any attemp at getting any on the job experience you try to get. it seems they are always asking you to chose between your dreams and your academics.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 1:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
'Nigerian graduates are unemployable' is the worst trash ever spewed out by our leaders to our teeming graduates. Is it the employable ones that secure jobs with the civil service or the connected ones. Well many unemployable Nigerian graduates work for foreign companies while the ones we employ are the ones that have godfathers.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by ipheoluwa22: 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2015
you called them graduated and they are unemployable, smh
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by hisgrace090: 2:18pm On Jul 10, 2015
What baffles me most today is the way Nigeria youth are petronising exam special centres, even with the help of their guardiance.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by benjaminiyke(m): 2:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
EVILFOREST:
OP, I can't read this because your TOPIC alone has been nullified.

The only HUMAN that is UNEMPLOYABLE is a SICK Chap and it still depends on the degree of ailment.

In CHINA, HP COMPUTERS manufacture 60,000 LAPTOPS on daily basis.

Most of the EMPLOYEES there were taken based on EFFICIENCY and SMARTNESS and not on academic grounds.

In VERNICO street in ITALY, most FOOTWEARS made there, were done by hardworking VILLAGERS and not graduates.

Such shoes are worn by prime ministers and world leaders.

In OSLO and SHANGHAI, Fishing alone can move a country forward.

As NIGERIANs, We always believe that U Can only make it if u get EDUCATED.

We NEED POWER, good roads and railsystems and INDUSTRIES.

This is why a particular TRIBE in NIGERIA, will keep GROWING from strength to strength despite GOVERNMENT neglect.

I won't mention the name of the TRIBE
seconded...The poster based his analysis solely on jobs that require certificates and skill acquisition,however nothing stops a graduate from seeking employment in production firms in Nigeria. I think our graduates are employable but federal Government need to diversify our economy,reduce importation of products and increase exports,which in turn will lead to us building large production companies in Nigeria thereby creating more jobs.
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Justjyde(m): 2:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
Stelvin101:

LWKMDFH

Op u skipped one very important one. Nepotism
You are correct.
Nepotism and Tribalism will always be with us. We can keep fine tuning the national systems to compensate for those factors we cannot totally eliminate. The major challenge now is "WHERE WILL WE FIND NIGERIANS WITH INTEGRITY AND CAPACITY TO ADMINISTER THESE?"
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
EVILFOREST:
OP, I can't read this because your TOPIC alone has been nullified.

The only HUMAN that is UNEMPLOYABLE is a SICK Chap and it still depends on the degree of ailment.

In CHINA, HP COMPUTERS manufacture 60,000 LAPTOPS on daily basis.

Most of the EMPLOYEES there were taken based on EFFICIENCY and SMARTNESS and not on academic grounds.

In VERNICO street in ITALY, most FOOTWEARS made there, were done by hardworking VILLAGERS and not graduates.

Such shoes are worn by prime ministers and world leaders.

In OSLO and SHANGHAI, Fishing alone can move a country forward.

As NIGERIANs, We always believe that U Can only make it if u get EDUCATED.

We NEED POWER, good roads and railsystems and INDUSTRIES.

This is why a particular TRIBE in NIGERIA, will keep GROWING from strength to strength despite GOVERNMENT neglect.

I won't mention the name of the TRIBE

omo ibo, ni eleyi ooo sha
Re: Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable by EduRegard: 2:39pm On Jul 10, 2015
Daresh:

Wow...How did u do it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 / Ali And Simbi Are They Still Boy/girl? / Ransome Kuti Memorial Grammar School Lagos 88' Set Celebrates Reunion In Uniform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.