Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

Any Hope For The Naira? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Any Hope For The Naira? (8121 Views)

The High Value Of The Naira In The Eighties (Picture Proof) / Want To Know How To Benefit From The Falling Value Of The Naira..? / Where Is The 'naira' Note Printed? In Nigeria or Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by BAC: 1:43pm On Mar 24, 2009
Price of Pound stealing please , on the black market

Thanks
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 24, 2009
abhosts:

It is now N160 to $1 at the Parallel market. I hope this trend continues.

AMEN
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by Kx: 4:06pm On Mar 24, 2009
any idea for euro plz?
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by BAC: 11:13am On Mar 26, 2009
message from Yusuf : Dollar today is N155 to sell and £ is N240 to sell,

Those figures are without negotiating
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by damola1: 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2009
BAC, please hook me up with Yusuf. My tel: 080 53618904 or email; damola@damola.com
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by BAC: 5:34pm On Mar 26, 2009
I got Yusuf's mobile from one of the board by a lady called funke. Please I don't know him from Adam , all I did was to call him from London. I asked for the rate and he gave me so I updated the board. His number is 08034236096.

If ever you call him and he updates you please update the board for the benefit of others. And also include euros and Pounds please.

Enjoy
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by ToToChoper: 5:47pm On Mar 26, 2009
Relax, CBN's coordinated release of money from our reserves may be a short-lived moral booster.

The naira APPEARS to be gaining value but awon boiz know the real deal. Oil prices normally increase in the winter months when demand is highest.

And what are we approaching?

Anyway as for me sha (even if the thing like sef---make e go up, go down, roll for ground, tumble upside down come dance maradona join) I go still keep this dollar. grin
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by sokolove: 9:23pm On Mar 28, 2009
yes nigeria GREAT NATION HAS HOPE,,, GOD is the hope of nigeria, take it, believe it,aspect it GOD IS OUR HOPE, not mens
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by emiemi(f): 10:17am On Apr 01, 2009
ToToChoper:

Relax, CBN's coordinated release of money from our reserves may be a short-lived moral booster.

The naira APPEARS to be gaining value but awon boiz know the real deal. Oil prices normally increase in the winter months when demand is highest.

And what are we approaching?

Anyway as for me sha (even if the thing like sef---make e go up, go down, roll for ground, tumble upside down come dance maradona join) I go still keep this dollar. grin

I was just wondering how on earth someone will call himself ''Toto chopper".

His true nature can't be so different from that, abi? lipsrsealed
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by ayobase(m): 3:02pm On Apr 01, 2009
still hoping oo!!!
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by sultaan(m): 4:46pm On Apr 13, 2009
Another warning shot
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/9/604.html

[size=20pt]Inflation rate ’ll remain high till,  - CBN - Nigeria’s external reserves drop to $47bn[/size]

Gbola Subair, Abuja
Thursday, April 9, 2009
THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has expressed concern over the high rate of inflation in the country, stating that it is going to remain high till mid 2009.

Governor of the apex bank, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, said this on Wednesday in Abuja at a press conference after the Monetary Policy Committee meeting.

advertisement

The governor who said inflation had been high and was a matter of concern, disclosed that the committee noted the upward swing of the year-on-year headline inflation from 14 per cent in January 2009 to 14.6 per cent in February 2009.

Noting that inflation as it affected foodstuffs increased from 18.4 per cent to 20 per cent within the same period, Professor Soludo stated that the outlook for inflation in the near term remained uncertain.

Nonetheless, the CBN governor said the inflation rate could be brought down to single digit by mid 2009 in response to aggregate demand. On the exchange rate, Professor Soludo said the committee was satisfied with the positive outcome of measures taken recently in stabilising the exchange rate in all the segments of the market

“The demand for FOREX has moderated significantly in the retail Dutch Auction System and will continue to be sustained in the near term,” the CBN governor said.

The committee, Professor Soludo also explained, was satisfied with the financial conditions in the country, adding that, “there are no apparent systemic threats to the banking system.”

Noting the importance of credible and effective monetary policy, the CBN said the committee had reaffirmed its commitment to coordinate monetary policy actions with those of fiscal and other institutional and regulatory policies.

Because of liquidity tightness and relatively higher interbank interest rates, Prof Soludo said the MPC had decided to reduce Monetary Policy Rate from 9.75 per cent to eight per cent, reduce the liquidity ratio from 30 per cent to 25 per cent and the Cash Reserve Requirement from two per cent to one per cent with effect from April 14, 2009.

In another development, the crashed price of crude oil in the international market has taken its toll on Nigeria’s external reserves, dropping to $47 billion from $65 billion recorded prior to the global financial meltdown.

Keep an eye on this number because it is the lifeline of Nigeria right now, only good knows what will happen after this winter.Now they have a year to create an economy that is not excessively dependent on oil.
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by Pittbaby(f): 9:55pm On Apr 23, 2009
not that I am into conspiracy theories or anything , but about if they are inflating the exchange rate to make up for the price of oil being down , awon alhajis in Abuja are getting less dollars for the oil they are stealing selling and they are therefore inflating the price of dollar so they can get more naira to make up for less dollar flowing , grin
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by sultaan(m): 8:14pm On May 27, 2009
Sounding interesting

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/27/208.html

[size=20pt]Muhtar: Nigeria’s excess crude account, fast depleting[/size]
From Onwuka Nzeshi in Abuja, 05.27.2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Excess Crude Account, Nigeria's local reserve for the rainy day, may be exhausted in the next two years if the Federal Government, 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) continue to fall back on it to augment the nation's dwindling oil revenue.

The nation's dwindling fortunes are the result of  the global economic meltdown, the shortfalls in the non-oil revenue sector, massive shut down of oil production as a result of the Niger Delta crisis as well as the production limitations of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).

Minister of Finance, Dr. Mansur Muhtar,  raised the alert yesterday at an interactive session with the House of Representatives Committee on Legislative Compliance. Muhtar explained that given the current revenue constraints on several fronts, the Federal Government had for several months relied on the funds that accrued to the said account,  more so when there was an existing Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between it and the State Governors to do so.

He disclosed that apart from the dwindling oil revenue, the Nigeria Customs and Excise and the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), two major agencies from which Nigeria derived the bulk of non-oil revenue had also suffered dwindling revenue .

In the current year, he said, Nigeria Customs Service has so far recorded a revenue shortfall of 48.5 per cent while revenue accruing to the Federal Government through the FIRS had witnessed a crash of about 30 per cent.

The Minister of Finance however allayed the fears of the Legislature on preparations for next year's budget, assuring that the process of preparing the Medium Term Expenditure Framework(MTEF) in readiness for the 2010 Appropriation Bill had reached an advanced stage.

Chairman of the House Committee on Legislative Compliance, Honourable Daemi Akpanah, had in the course of the interaction sought to know if the Federal Government was managing the Excess Crude Account in line with the stipulations of the Fiscal Responsibility Act. The House Committee was also probing the seeming delay by the Ministry of Finance to comply with critical provisions of the Fiscal Responsibility Act which requires the Minister to present a MTEF to the Federal Executive Council and the National Assembly before the end of the second quarter of any given year.

Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by Connoisseur(m): 10:09pm On Apr 23, 2021
Thadude:
There isnt any hope insight untill next year, infact the CBN is getting ready to ignore that naira fall, that was why Soludo said he wont continue to defend the naira forever.
Oil has sold at rock bottom throughout the winter and we all know winter calls for higher demand of oil, this means we have to look forward to next winter! I see the naira clocking N200 to $1 by this time next month .

I wish you all could come back to this thread especially the bolded
Re: Any Hope For The Naira? by PEG33: 8:01pm On Nov 21, 2023
One dollar = 1000 naira.

The way I looked back at thread and wondered “wow only if naira was 200 to one dollar” will someone look at mine in the future and say “wow only if naira was 1000 to one dollar”

I don’t think God will intervene or change this economy or country.
I don’t think the next president will change this economy/country,
Only the people can change this country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! eBay.com And Alibaba.com Which One Is Reliable. / Please How Do I Recieve Money From Ghana To Nigeria? / UBA Named 'African Bank Of The Year.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.