Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:49 AM

This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker (1029 Views)

Eating Fruits On Empty Stomach -the Effects / Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink / See How To Remove Stretch Marks From Your Body In Two Weeks »» (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by Cwaya(m): 12:25am On Jul 11, 2015

Note: Texting includes Pinging, Whatsapping, 2going, Facebooking, Tweeting ........ tongue

Texting too often can take a toll on your body. While it might seem like it’s not a big deal, the physical posture you take on when you’re staring at a tiny device in your hands can have serious negative health effects. This graphic shows what can happen.
We’ve known for a while that spending too much time assuming the texting position can cause health problems. While your mileage may vary, and this certainly isn’t exclusively limited to texting, the graphic below can show you a few potential problems, as well as how to combat them.

ACHING NECK AND SORE BACK
Texting’s habitual head-down posture can put dangerous pressure on the spine, according to 2014 research by orthopedic surgeon Kenneth Hansraj, MD. An adult head weighs 10 to 12 pounds (about the same as a bowling ball), and as we tilt it forward, it exerts pressure — up to 60 pounds at a 60-degree angle. That can result in a sore back or neck.

What You Can Do: Raise your phone so your ears are directly above your shoulders.

TEXTING THUMB
While this is not an officially diagnosed medical condition, gripping and holding cell phones can constrict our flexor tendons. Because our thumbs do not have the dexterity of our other fingers, excess texting can result in pain (and sometimes a popping sound) on the outside of your thumb around the wrist. You may also suffer a decrease in grip strength or range of motion.

What You Can Do: Use your phone’s voice-recognition feature rather than manually texting. Or try incorporating other fingers into your texting method.

BREATHING ISSUES
Our forward-leaning posture can impede breathing, according to the UK’s United Chiropractic Association. Dropping the head and rounding our shoulders makes taking full, deep breaths harder. Moreover, our ribs cannot move properly in this position, and it decreases our hearts’ and lungs’ ability to function effectively. Finally, researchers have found that we often hold our breath or breathe shallowly while computing or texting — a habit they term “screen apnea.” The result is increased stress and heart-rate levels.

What You Can Do: Take a break now and then to breathe slowly and deeply. Get up and stretch every hour or so. Set the timer on your phone to remind you.

TEXT CLAW
Because texting requires fine-motor activity, it may lead to “text claw,” a habitual clenching that can lead to repetitive stress injuries such as tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome.

What You Can Do: Regularly stretch and move hands through their full range of motion.

Source: http://lifehacker.com/this-graphic-shows-the-effects-texting-has-on-your-body-1716980731

[size=3pt]cc lalasticlala ishilove[/size]

Re: This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by BoiGrammz: 12:29am On Jul 11, 2015
Cool. But does it stop me from being first to comment? sad
Re: This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by ecto(m): 12:44am On Jul 11, 2015
Interesting
Re: This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by NaijaSingleBoy(m): 12:45am On Jul 11, 2015
Or me third to comment?
Re: This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by Iruobean(m): 12:48am On Jul 11, 2015
BoiGrammz:
Cool. But does it stop me from being first to comment? sad

God is watching u Oº°˚°ºh. *clear throat*
Pls who is d FTC, am at ur back? Is it paying GTbank? _̅_̅̅_̅̅̅Ω̴̩̩̩̥kA̶̲̥̅̊Ɣ.
Re: This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by RICKYMARIO(m): 12:50am On Jul 11, 2015
thanks op....
Re: This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by Sylverbox(m): 1:24am On Jul 11, 2015
Hmmmmmm.
Re: This Graphic Shows The Effects Texting Has On Your Body - Lifehacker by elobyobi: 10:57am On Jul 11, 2015
ladies be like "so I shd raise my head (is raise my phone), so that Chinedu will see the text I'm sending to Gbolahan abi? nne , make d neck dey pain me dey go.

(1) (Reply)

Medical Students Slice Off Baby's Penis Instead Of Umbilical Cord / Buy Cerelac Online In India - Shopping Cerelac / Common Everyday Things That Are Destroying Your Teeth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.