Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,584 members, 7,823,528 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink (131364 Views)

Zobo Drink Is Effective In Managing Hypertension - Dr Ochuko Erukainure / Why Pregnant Women Should Not Drink Zobo / MUST READ: The Good And The Bad Sides Of ‘zobo’ Drink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by precisionindepth: 2:05pm On May 06, 2016
Rosalle, also called hibiscus, red tea, sour tea, botanical name of Hibiscus sabdariffa, is the herb from which the red flower used in preparing zobo drink is gotten. The edible parts used to make “juice” or tea (actually, an infusion) look like reddish dried-up buds. Rosalle are not flowers nor fruits but calyces. It’s the calyx, the red, fleshy covering enclosing the flower’s seed pod, which is used for flavoring, cooking and food coloring. The calyx is loaded with high content of calcium, niacin, riboflavin, iron, vitamin C while having no caffeine content in it.

Entertaining your family and friends with zobo drink today would not be a bad idea, would it? Be rest assured that you are contributing to the healthy state of your family and friends when you entertain them with Zobo drink instead of other sugar sweetened beverages. Zobo drink comes with a lot of nutritional benefits. I always love to take this red coloured drink most times with no refined sugar, some citrus fruits, pineapple and for sweetener, I love to add honey or blackstrap molasses. Consider including a cup of zobo drink to your meal this weekend and have loads of fun with your body getting loaded with these abundant #Unbelievable #nutritional benefits of zobo drink. Try replacing your sugar sweetened drink with zobo drink now and always.

You surely do know the chilled zobo drink Quenches Thirst, do you?

Have you ever drank zobo drink when very cold? If not, you have just got to try it out. This amazing hibiscus tea can be drunk cold or hot. When iced, the drink is known to satiate thirst quite effectively. It is often recommended as an alternative to artificially made commercial "sport drinks" that are marketed to physically active individuals. Hibiscus tea has the ability to cool the body. This benefit is probably associated with the diuretic properties of hibiscus, a property that helps in the excretion of excess fluids from the body.

Helps in Weight Loss
Hibiscus drink have been found to help in weight loss. A person drinking hibiscus drink may prevent the absorption of carbohydrates and thus not gain excess weight.

Hibiscus drink have also been found to have antihypertensive properties. Researches have found that hibiscus drink contains significant amount of ascorbic acid in addition to 1.145 g of protein, 2.61 g of fat, 12.0 g of fiber, 1,263 mg of calcium, 273.2 mg of phosphorus, 8.98 mg of iron, 0.029 mg of carotene, 0.117 mg of thiamine, 0.277 mg of riboflavin and 3.765 m of niacin. Considering all these nutritional content of hibiscus drink, it can be said that hibiscus tea can serve as an excellent food and help boost the immune system.

There is no clinical evidence on which dosage recommendations can be based. Roselle is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for consumption. A typical dose as a drink is 1.5 g. However, with all the nutritional benefits, rosalle has been found to stimulate menstrual flow effects. Therefore, women might probably want to reduce your intake during the monthly menstrual cycle.

Note: zobo drink is not recommended to people in this category;

1. pregnant woman or breastfeeding mothers as effects of zobo drink on child development is not yet studied.

2. If you’re currently on anti- inflammatory medication, or taken drugs containing Acetaminophen , such as Actifed , some cold & cough medicines like Codeine, and some pain relievers.

3. If you have low blood pressure, as zobo tea could lower your blood pressure further which could be bad for your health and if you’re driving or operating a heavy machinery, it is not advisable to take the drink as the tea sometimes causes drowsiness.

Now let's make some Zobo drink for this weekend; a time to relax from all the everyday hustle and struggle.....

Ingredients: Zobo leaves, pineapple, Orange or lemon (as you prefer), Garlic, Ginger, honey or blackstrap molasses

Buy 10 cups of Zobo dry leaves, remove the dirt and wash with cold water to remove dust.

wash the garlic, ginger and pineapple properly and then cut into bits

Pour the washed Zobo leaves into a pot, add the pineapple, add enough water, cover pot and boil for 5 minutes.

Add garlic and ginger, add more water and boil for 30 more minutes for the Zobo leaves and the pineapple to be completely tender.

Turn off the heat and cool down.

when cool, squeeze out the juice from the pineapple and the Zobo leaves.

add the fresh orange juice and lemon, some honey or some blackstrap molasses as you prefer.

Pour into bottles and refrigerate. I prefer it served iced.

Let's light up today with a cup of Zobo drink!
Surely that Miracle to Healthy Living is YOU! Make the Smart Ones!

Picture 1: Rosale calyx

Picture 2: Zobo leaves boiling on cooking gas

Picture 3: Dry Zobo leaves

picture 4: A cup of zobo drink with a slice of lime

#Always #GoPreventive #Dontwaitforcurative #StayHealthy #StayAlive

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by Aeman(m): 8:25pm On May 06, 2016
Am so lovin dis bless u man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by ClareMarie: 10:01pm On Jan 09, 2017
I loved the drink even before I knew it was this nutritious. Good to know

2 Likes

Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by BlackDBagba: 4:35am On Apr 22, 2017
Good one!
Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by MrMacinterchi1: 4:29pm On May 14, 2017
Hey Guys, Thanks for this; but I am in need of the white flowers of this plant.

Does anyone know where I could get i? My location is Anambra , Onitsha . Thanks once again .
Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by bigfoot79(m): 3:36pm On Aug 20, 2017
@Lalastica @seun
I am surprised that none of our mods have deemed it fit, to project Nigerian culture to the teeming world that daily visit this site by pushing the topic to the front page.
The FP of NL should not only be about sport, politics and ipob v afonja v arewa v the rest of us at war

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by malakus(m): 3:57pm On Aug 20, 2017
good

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by kuntash: 7:02pm On Oct 28, 2017
bigfoot79:
@Lalastica @seun
I am surprised that none of our mods have deemed it fit, to project Nigerian culture to the teeming world that daily visit this site by pushing the topic to the front page.
The FP of NL should not only be about sport, politics and ipob v afonja v arewa v the rest of us at war

Or how some artist or celebs as they call them went to market to buy Gucci bag

Or the new car acquired by either of them
Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by otokx(m): 4:20pm On Jan 27, 2018
Truly indigenous Nigerian drink.
Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by miqos02(m): 2:38pm On Feb 08, 2018
Hmm
Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by ballerin(m): 9:37pm On Feb 25, 2018
Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by Goldaccumulator: 4:10pm On Mar 21, 2018
How does the vit c survive all the boiling?

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits And Side Effects Of Zobo Drink by shiki(m): 1:39pm On Aug 25, 2021
I love zobo

(1) (Reply)

Indian Woman Gives Birth To 11 Kids All At Once - See Pix / How To Use Unripe Plantain To Cure Stomach Ulcer / Help !!! Help Save Light; A Great Fighter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.