Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,383 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:54 AM

How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview (22533 Views)

How To Answer The "What Are Your Greatest Strengths?" Question In An Interview / How To Answer The Greatest Weakness Question In An Interview / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Kunle106(m): 11:24am On Jul 11, 2015
How about someone who is without an experience?
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by bosunjohns(m): 11:28am On Jul 11, 2015
equlibrium:

What seems like such a simple question can really make you sweat, especially in an interview. What, exactly, should you share—not just to build rapport, but toshow that you’re the perfect fit for the job?

Fear not, job seekers: There’s a super-simple formula that will help you answer this question with ease. Watch this quick video as our CEO Kathryn Minshew gives a simple tip from our career expert Lily Zhang, then try it out for yourself!

How to Answer “Tell Me About Yourself”

So, the first question you’re probably going to get in an interview is, “Tell me about yourself.” Now, this is not an invitation to recite your entire life story or even to go bullet by bullet through your resume. Instead, it’s probably your first and best chance to pitch the hiring manager on why you’re the right one for the job.

A formula I really like to use is called the Present-Past-Future formula. So, first you start with the present—where you are right now. Then, segue into the past—a little bit about the experiences you’ve had and the skills you gained at the previous position. Finally, finish with the future—why you are really excited for this particular opportunity.

Let me give you an example:

If someone asked, “tell me about yourself,” you could say:

“Well, I’m currently an account executive at Smith, where I handle our top performing client. Before that, I worked at an agency where I was on three different major national healthcare brands. And while I really enjoyed the work that I did, I’d love the chance to dig in much deeper with one specific healthcare company, which is why I’m so excited about this opportunity with Metro Health Center.”

Remember throughout your answer to focus on the experiences and skills that are going to be most relevant for the hiring manager when they’re thinking about this particular position and this company. And ultimately, don’t be afraid to relax a little bit, tell stories and anecdotes—the hiring manager already has your resume, so they also want to know a little more about you.

Culled from Times Magazine

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by wtfCode: 11:42am On Jul 11, 2015
nsogbu adiro
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by hibbayueei(m): 11:51am On Jul 11, 2015
ok. tanks.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 11, 2015
Simple
Gooday i am halfrica able and capable industrious i can manage things well
hobbies - working and getting paid
Likes- an extra payment and a nice boss
Dislikes - over work pressure and un paid salaries
Motives - to be to acquire the change
Vision- am shortsighted uses glasses
Past experiences- house chores failed relationships and education

1 Like

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by equlibrium(m): 11:59am On Jul 11, 2015
halfrica:
Simple
Gooday i am halfrica able and capable industrious i can manage things well
hobbies - working and getting paid
Likes- an extra payment and a nice boss
Dislikes - over work pressure and un paid salaries
Motives - to be to acquire the change
Vision- am shortsighted uses glasses
Past experiences- house chores failed relationships and education

hahahaha
rolling on the floor here men
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2015
equlibrium:

hahahaha
rolling on the floor here men

grin
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by tunapius(m): 12:38pm On Jul 11, 2015
CHM11:
Most Nigerian HR persons studied non pure science related courses. They are mostly made up of people who back in high school couldn't make it to the sciences so they had to settle for Commercial/art or Humanities...my point? Most HR persons are dull and have low IQ, so when you say something smart, you sound really stupid to them.

At interviews here in Nigeria, know what the mumu HR wants to hear and tell the 1diot so he gives you the job. If you try to be very smart, the HR person will get lost as his/her IQ cannot take the fire you are emitting.

My advice, see interviews as a discussion and not an exam and you will ace most interviews.
may God bless u more than ur expecting
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Elvis506(m): 1:04pm On Jul 11, 2015
dukum:
What about those that have no experience? Tell me how one would go about that,please!
if u did IT, excursion, field work, theoretical presentations, projEct, seminar, etc while in school, then u have got an experience..use them..

1 Like

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Awesomeking: 1:26pm On Jul 11, 2015
CHM11:
Most Nigerian HR persons studied non pure science related courses. They are mostly made up of people who back in high school couldn't make it to the sciences so they had to settle for Commercial/art or Humanities...my point? Most HR persons are dull and have low IQ, so when you say something smart, you sound really stupid to them.

At interviews here in Nigeria, know what the mumu HR wants to hear and tell the 1diot so he gives you the job. If you try to be very smart, the HR person will get lost as his/her IQ cannot take the fire you are emitting.

My advice, see interviews as a discussion and not an exam and you will ace most interviews.
on behalf of all genius economists and accountants who went through commercial class

Bleep YOU!!

1 Like

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by EverestdeBliu(m): 1:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
Davijunson:
someone should pls notify me if this gets to FP. tnks.
Now Here
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by rocknation62(m): 3:54pm On Jul 11, 2015
dukum:
What about those that have no experience? Tell me how one would go about that,please!
God bless u for that question. I was about asking...
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 5:19pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:
on behalf of all genius economists and accountants who went through commercial class

Bleep YOU!!
I'm sorry if you misconstrued my comment. Not all commercial people are dull. But on average, the science guys do better. That's a fact.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Awesomeking: 5:40pm On Jul 11, 2015
CHM11:

I'm sorry if you misconstrued my comment. Not all commercial people are dull. But on average, the science guys do better. That's a fact.
stating that science guys do better than commercial is like saying science has more intelligent set of people

honestly fella,everyone is a genius in his own feild,you only think commercial is easy because of the miniature commercial questions you've come accross or seen,study economics or accounting as a course,you will weep...

1 Like

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 6:01pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:
stating that science guys do better than commercial is like saying science has more intelligent set of people

honestly fella,everyone is a genius in his own feild,you only think commercial is easy because of the miniature commercial questions you've come accross or seen,study economics or accounting as a course,you will weep...

'On average' this phrase I used means something....I hope you understand the meaning bro?...."On average, science guys have higher IQ as compared to their commercial/art counterparts.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Awesomeking: 6:04pm On Jul 11, 2015
CHM11:

'On average' this phrase I used means something....I hope you understand the meaning bro?...."On average, science guys have higher IQ as compared to their commercial/art counterparts.
wether u use the Bleep!ng phrase or not,you are still trying to say yall got higher IQ's than us and thats a blatant lie..

1 Like

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 6:06pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:
wether u use the Bleep!ng phrase or not,you are still trying to say yall got higher IQ's than us and thats a blatant lie..
Hmmmm, na wa o...ok...u didn't or have refused or couldn't understand my post. I'd leave the issue there as it only proves my earlier assertion.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Awesomeking: 6:18pm On Jul 11, 2015
CHM11:

Hmmmm, na wa o...ok...u didn't or have refused or couldn't understand my post. I'd leave the issue there as it only proves my earlier assertion.
simply prooves that you dont want to accept that we are all geniuses in our feild..because u beleive strongly that you are better off than any commercial or art student..dont sugarcoat it fella

#shikena

1 Like

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 6:32pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:
simply prooves that you dont want to accept that we are all geniuses in our feild..because u beleive strongly that you are better off than any commercial or art student..dont sugarcoat it fella

#shikena
'On average, pure science related peeps are smarter than their commercial counterparts'.....understand this then we can discuss.

Average here can also be referred to as 'mean' in statistics. Doesn't take away the fact that there are some extremely intelligent commercial guys and there are also some really dull science guys.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Ademat7(m): 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:

#shikena
boss calm down; answer this Y is it easy for science to cross to management and not the other way?
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Awesomeking: 6:37pm On Jul 11, 2015
CHM11:

'On average, pure science related peeps are smarter than their commercial counterparts'.....understand this then we can discuss.

Average here can also be referred to as 'mean' in statistics. Doesn't take away the fact that their are some extremely intelligent commercial guys and there are also some really dull science guys.
i understand what u mean fella,but u are also insinuating that atleast an handfull of science fellaz are better intellectually than arts and commercials

and am trynna counter that with simple statement-equality
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 6:39pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:
i understand what u mean fella,but u are also insinuating that atleast an handfull of science fellaz are better intellectually than arts and commercials

and am trynna counter that with simple statement-equality
Ok
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Awesomeking: 6:40pm On Jul 11, 2015
Ademat7:
boss calm down; answer this Y is it easy for science to cross to management and not the other way?
its not easy,science students who crossed to management when i was in school ended up failing woefully,all 6 of them,apparently,its a lot harder than they thought..they think its all rainbows and flowers,fella there are man eating canivorous flowers there too,just like every other department.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Awesomeking: 6:41pm On Jul 11, 2015
CHM11:
Ok
good,i am happy you aggree with me
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by prettymina(f): 6:43pm On Jul 11, 2015
What if the question was asked @ d embassy.pls I really need to knw how to answer it @ d embassy.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 6:49pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:
its not easy,science students who crossed to management when i was in school ended up failing woefully,all 6 of them,apparently,its a lot harder than they thought..they think its all rainbows and flowers,fella there are man eating canivorous flowers there too,just like every other department.
Don't know you or your level of professional experience. But my comment wasn't talking about high school or tertiary institution but I'm talking about the professional business world, from oil and gas to banking, to FMCG, to consulting etc...You have science guys replacing management and commercial guys even in their own fields/specialty.

Engineers are almost always preferred in banks over people who studied banking and finance. Mathematics, Comp science and even physics guys are trained as accountants and they are outstanding at it.

I've never seen a political science, economics or business admin graduate being recruited as rig engineers, or QC chemist, or plant design engineer etc etc.....

I don't like arguing....its a fact!!!...95% of kids who run to arts and commercial actually did that to run away from science. FM, Chemistry, Physics, calculations, biology etc scares many of them. Only about 5% of kids actually go to arts/commercial out of a sincere desire to build a real career there.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 6:50pm On Jul 11, 2015
Awesomeking:
good,i am happy you aggree with me
I don't agree with you...I just don't want to ague with you.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Brytawon(m): 6:57pm On Jul 11, 2015
gringringrin
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by DonXavi(m): 11:30pm On Jul 11, 2015
I love this. It'll help someday.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Dainty09(f): 5:58pm On Jul 13, 2015
moyinoluwabun:
Will dis give u d desired job without God's mercy. Anyway, it's nice.

Absolutely not God will only do His path while one does his/her own path too.After preparing for d whole job interviwe,the wise thing to do is to involve God so as to take control,but not just praying and not doing anything.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by Wealthyone: 11:06am On Sep 06, 2015
CHM11:

What you wrote is an insult to the Human Resources profession. Unfortunately, the so-called 1diot won't give you the job as your trait and aura during the interview will give u away.
Re: How To Answer That Pesky “tell Me About Yourself" Question In An Interview by CHM11: 5:58pm On Sep 12, 2015
Wealthyone:

What you wrote is an insult to the Human Resources profession. Unfortunately, the so-called 1diot won't give you the job as your trait and aura during the interview will give u away.

There was a clause in my statement. Read it again. take not of the first 3 words

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Funny Job Hunting Experience / The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch / 10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make … And How to Avoid Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.