Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch (22417 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / Nigerians React To N5,000 Federal Government Stipend. What Is Your Own View? / Pastors & Evangelists Wanted: The Punch Advert I Saw Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by johntaiwo123(m): 10:01am On Nov 18, 2015
The Federal Government has started the process of fulfilling its promise to pay N5,000 monthly allowance to 25 million unemployed youths in the country with 2016 as the take-off date, The PUNCH investigation has revealed.

The All Progressives Congress, which defeated the then ruling Peoples Democratic Party in the March 28 presidential election, had promised during its campaign that if elected to the central government, it would pay N5,000 monthly to 25 million jobless youths as well as introduce a free school feeding programme.

A motion to compel the President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government to fulfil the campaign promise of paying the unemployed youths was recently rejected in the Senate.

Our correspondents learnt on Monday that the Federal Government had, however, commenced plans to start the payment of the allowance while it had also taken steps to capture the free school feeding programme in the 2016 budget.

It was further learnt that the government had saddled some officials with the task of ascertaining the number of the unemployed youths, who would benefit from the scheme.

A top government official, who spoke on condition of anonymity on Monday, told one of our correspondents that the compilation of data was necessary in order to ensure that the programme was not sabotaged.

The source said, “You know that if the scheme is left open-ended, even Nigerians, who are employed and are by no means vulnerable, will still struggle to benefit from it. “You also know that if not properly handled, politicians will hijack the scheme and it will become a means of settling their constituents, whether they qualify to benefit from it or not.

This is why the government will come up with data on the beneficiaries very soon.” The source added that the fund meant for the scheme would be built into the 2016 budget. He explained that it was only when a decision had been reached on the number of people that would benefit from the scheme that the government would have an idea of how much it would spend on the programme.

He agreed that as a result of the process to get ready the 2016 budget and passed it into law, the scheme might not take off either in January or February, 2016. The Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, confirmed that work was ongoing on the identification of beneficiaries, saying it was the desire of government to ensure the commencement of the programme in 2016.

Akande stated, “Work is ongoing on various aspects of the implementation of that social investment plan, including the identification of those that will benefit from it. Very soon, we shall be concluding work on that; that is a very important aspect of the programme.

“The plan of the government is to start as much as possible in the area of social investment, and conditional cash transfer is part of it. “It is the plan of the government to explore how to start this with the 2016 budget.

” Cash transfer scheme to gulp N125bn monthly Investigations at the Ministry of Finance as well as that of Budget and National Planning showed that the process for the payment of the allowance to the unemployed had started with the compilation of the 2016 budget. According to analysis, the cash transfer programme, when fully implemented, will cost the Federal Government N125bn monthly and a total sum of N1.5tr annually.

This is amidst dwindling oil price, which has led to a reduction in government revenue by about 50 per cent. This development has led to the government recording fiscal deficit of about N676.47bn within the first six months of 2015, according to statistics from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Top government officials, involved in the preparation of the budget, confided in one of our correspondents that both initiatives had been identified as part of the six priority programmes that would be implemented under the social development sector of the economy.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said apart from the cash transfer and school feeding programme, other social protection and welfare schemes were being planned to take care of Internally Displaced Persons. Details of the initiative for IDPs were still sketchy as of the time of filing this report.

The official said, “We have started working on the budget since September this year at the Ministry of Budget and Planning. “Since the ministry is the one coordinating the plans of government, what we did was to identify six priority programmes by pillars which have already been communicated to all the Ministries, Departments and Agencies of government.

“So while preparing the medium term plan, what we did was to look at the manifesto of the APC and prepare our plan based on what its campaign promises were to Nigerians before the elections.

“And since social development is a key aspect of its campaign, we identified social protection schemes such as the conditional cash transfer and the school feeding programme as key to the programmes for 2016.” The spokesman for the Ministry of Budget and National Planning, Mr. Salisu Haiba, could not be reached for comments as calls and text messages put to his number did not connect as of the time of filing this report.

Shortly after the Senate shot down a motion meant to compel Buhari to fulfil the promise, the wife of the President, Mrs. Aisha Buhari, had appealed to the ruling party not to renege on its campaign promise of paying N5,000 to the 25 million unemployed youths.

She also urged the party to fulfil its promise of giving schoolchildren one free meal a day.

http://punchng.com/n5000-unemployment-benefit-starts-in-2016/

1 Like

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by INTROVERT(f): 10:02am On Nov 18, 2015
There us no existing database for employment stats in Nigeria.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by ishiamu(m): 10:05am On Nov 18, 2015
By that time you would have stabilised oil price and made one dollar equal to one naira.

This dullard na joke

50 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by bxcode(m): 10:17am On Nov 18, 2015
Awesome, in a perverted way tho.grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 18, 2015
boy....money wan show for the unemployed.

2 Likes

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by Emmaesty(f): 11:08am On Nov 18, 2015
That's how he said that he will choose ministers before the end of September, we got our ministers in November. I don't trust this man, he's not a man of his words. Let's wait and see sha

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:12am On Nov 18, 2015
Same Old Shit
VS
End Time Promise

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by felix281(m): 11:13am On Nov 18, 2015
Ha!! Nigeria is Dead and gone, I weep for this Country, Giving this stipend out can never curb unemployment in this country to the barest minimum. What will this money do for them and there families who place high hopes on them after graduating?.... What a big Scam!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by UdohOby(f): 11:18am On Nov 18, 2015
Let him keep the money and create jobs for the youths.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by ukeme200(m): 11:29am On Nov 18, 2015
grin angry

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by ukeme200(m): 11:35am On Nov 18, 2015
INTROVERT:
seen

Where is your partner LadyF??..
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by busuyem: 12:34pm On Nov 18, 2015
Should I say congrats to the unemployed? God must help us in this country.
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by permsec: 1:53pm On Nov 18, 2015
2016 can also mean Dec 31 2016.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by damton(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
I don't want to be eligible for this benefits.

Dont know if this is a prayer or what

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by olanreyman(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
Whelai this our government Na mumu government, instead of paying 5k to millions of unemployed people why not use the money to create the employment itself, I mean how long will they continue to pay the unemployed even when the rate at which our school is producing graduates is on the increase

Summary : I smell lies, so believe at your own peril

6 Likes

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by NaLaugh: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
Another run before you learn to walk project.
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by drnairalov: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
cool story
so I was in a job interview tuday and it went thus

Interviewer: why should we hire you?

Me: because you re hiring

to cut the long story short...... did I get the job or not? watch out for next episode in this life cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by Joejonah(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
Punch have spoken their mind..... Propaganda party and buhari will borrow trillions for the promise to see light.

Don't promise heaven and hell if you aren't sure of where you are going
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by joseph1832(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
Gbam! Let's wait and see, hope when that time comes, many of the wailers here will finally have good cause to shut up, once and for all.

2 Likes

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by looseweight: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
Ok
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by oekehinde: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
Pls, don't mind this yeye government, they will come up with another excuse come 2016.

2 Likes

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by mrlaw93(m): 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2015
lemme say Amen! grin
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by armadeo(m): 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2015
1.25 trillion per annum. In my opinion this is a huge waste of resources and if carried out a very thoughtless venture by the gov't.

This is Nigeria they had already stated the fears about the program being hijacked and even employed persons trying to cash in on it. It's a dream and can never be a reality.

1.)There is no existing database in the country even ordinary car papers and drivers license cannot be adequately recorded talk less of 25million people.

2.) What criteria will be used to determine who is a youth? I knowledge will come and talk hereof age 18 to 40 but we have seen 60 year old youth leaders.

3.) Will thispaymet be directly from federal gov't or the state's. This one would be interesting if gov't will disburse funds to states to pay unemployed youths. I wonder what would happen in osun and benue

I think instead of giving fish to the people give them fishhooks and show them the river.

Massive infrastructural and technological advancement would require manpower from almust very aspect of society both skilled and unskilled. The government should know this and that money would be an investment that would affect a generation of Nigerians if calculated for just 3 years ( p.s how much is The national budget sef? This is more than some states yearly subvention).

I think they should scrapthis idea and be forwardforward thinking.

My opinion.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by Gentlepapi(m): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
if this is true then that's a great grin grin grin grin
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by Firefire(m): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
shocked

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by VickyRotex(f): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
drnairalov:
cool story
so I was in a job interview tuday and it went thus

Interviewer: why should we hire you?

Me: because you re hiring

cheesy

And the response would be: "Thank you, we'll get back to you!"

1 Like

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by dovetark: 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
Na una use una mouth talk o!!!
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by VickyRotex(f): 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
Gentlepapi:
if this is true then that's a great grin grin grin grin

undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by ahckmedkosy(m): 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
I want to believe apc but let me get answers to these few questions?

1. Who is making this pledge on behalf of the Federal govt?

2. Who Do we hold responsible if this turns into another denial game?

3. When in 2016 will it kick start?

4. Which database are they going to use to find out the statistics and names of employed and the unemployed?

5. Finally which agency will be handling the logistics involved and at what rate will they be paid for their services?

Pls anybody who has idea?

2 Likes

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by chesterlee(m): 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
Dullardinhoe where are the 10 million Jobs you promised Nigerians?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Promised Unemployment Benefit Of N5,000 Would Take Effect In 2016 - Punch by shadrach77: 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
Believe this at your own peril undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Recruitment: NDLEA Speaks Over Aptitude Tests Protest / Tinubu Projects 500,000 Jobs With Data Protection Law / An Unemployed Graduate Begs Buhari, Tinubu, Fashola And Dangote For a Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.