Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,814 members, 7,824,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Bombs Are Back - Economist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bombs Are Back - Economist (1542 Views)

The Unprecedented Level Of Patience Shown To Buhari- Nigerian Economist / Kemi Adeosun ‘Poorly Qualified’ To Be Finance Minister – The Economist / New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bombs Are Back - Economist by 4Play(m): 12:16pm On Jul 11, 2015
The jihadists have switched from holding towns to waging guerrilla war
Jul 11th 2015 | LAGOS | From the print edition

Timekeeper

POLITICIANS often promise more than they deliver, but those in Nigeria bit off more than most when they campaigned on a pledge to “defeat Boko Haram”. Six weeks after the inauguration of its new president, Muhammadu Buhari, the government must be wishing it had promised something less ambitious.

Boko Haram seemed to be on the ropes a few months ago. Despite its threats to disrupt the election at the end of March, the vote was largely peaceful, and the militants had been pushed back from many of the towns they had captured. Yet in recent weeks the group has struck back from its remote redoubts, killing more than 200 people in the week to July 5th (and more since then) in a series of attacks across the north.

Bombs were detonated in the major cities of Jos and Kano, neither of which had been attacked since February. Boko Haram also showed that it can still operate across borders: two suicide bombers struck Chad’s hitherto unscathed capital, N’Djamena, in mid-June, blowing themselves up outside police headquarters, killing 34 people. Horseback and motorbike-mounted raiders attacked another neighbour, Niger, twice in two weeks.

The recent attacks suggest that since their ejection from urban areas, Boko Haram jihadis have regrouped in the forests and mountains along the border with Cameroon, or have melted into local populations disguised as merchants or beggars. Many of its 6,000 fighters are still active and its leadership is intact. The group may lack the sophistication to administer territory, but it has been honing its skill at hit-and-run attacks since 2009.

Nigeria’s army, by contrast, is finding counter-insurgency far more difficult than merely liberating captured towns. It has also lost much of the support that contributed to its victories earlier this year. Mercenaries who helped turn the tide in the north-east have been sent home and Chadian soldiers have pulled back over the border. Morale among poorly equipped Nigerian troops is plummeting again. “[It is becoming] the way it used to be before—[when] one man [was issued with just] one bullet [per target]—it’s just the same now,” says one military man.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21657386-jihadists-have-switched-holding-towns-waging-guerrilla-war-bombs-are

That last quote struck me as deeply troubling. It seems we have run out of money to fund adequately our men and women risking their lives in the war against Boko Haram, though we managed to find funds to rescue our inept state governments.

That Boko Haram will resort to bomb attacks was predictable and predicted. I made that only 3 months ago in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/2296667/end-boko-haram-reuters/1#33463895

Boko Haram is not a Fulani organisation nor is it a partisan political organisation. I will concede that, at most, there could have been elements who assisted them out of frustration with the GEJ regime but the group itself is an Islamist group with no partisan preferences.

This is not the end of Boko Haram. It will simply morph into what it used to be: a terror group capable of staging bomb attacks but incapable of holding large swathes of territory.

If we are not careful, Boko Haram will soon start seizing territory in large scale again. There was an attack on Buni Yadi recently, which is remarkable for it demonstrates their renewed confidence.

1 Like

Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 11, 2015
Has any one of you ever bothered to wonder how it was possible for ISIS which is composed of minority Sunni Muslims in Iraq was able to overrun vast territories of that country inspite of US arming, training and providing Intel to Iraq Security forces? This is opposite what Jonathan administration got by way of support from the Obama White House rather the Obama administration went along way to blocking alternatives to securing much needed weapons at the same time refused to share intel to the Nigerian Security forces and took it up a notch by refusing to designate Boko Haram a Foreign Terrorist Organizaion - a categorization that would have helped to block financing and support to the group.

In spite of all these challenges, the "clueless" Jonathan was at one time able to beat Boko Haram into a retreat to the Camerounian mountain borders where they were contained before they resurfaced again befor Jonathan ordered a full scale war which saw recapturing of local govts from the insurgents. Jonathan achieved all this without US , Uk and western military assistance.

But look at what we have in Iraq where US, has although refused to categorize ISIS as an FTO, but still supplies weapons and conducts air raids on ISIS positions. ISIS inspite of all this is still waxing strong and claiming more territory.

It also baffles me that the US govt will claim that one of ISIS principal fund sources is from captured Iraqi oil fields. How is ISIS shipping oil talk less of still able to maintain drilling operations without US connivance? What is stopping Obama from bombing the gas lines?

Iraq is mostly landlocked with only a small portion to the south bordering to the Gulf of Arabia, ISIS is thus still shipping oil via the gas pipelines through Turkey. Why is there not an embargo on Iraqi oil shipped from captured territory?

Back to Nigeria, it is very obvious why we are witnessing more expansion of Boko attacks into areas they had only sleeper cells and this is to blackmail Nigerians into accepting a peace deal and subsequent amnesty package for Boko Haram.

Boko Haram have stated their intention to swap the phantom Chibok girls in exchange for 16 of their top commanders in custody. This is just another attempt at using the Chibok scam to advance another agenda.

Buhari knows what he is doing.

Do not take the Economists seriously because their aim is to portray Buhari as merely incompetent when the truth is that all these bombings and Boko Haram expansion is a calculated move towards forcing a negotiation option down our throats.

If Buhari truly wants to end Boko Haram he has all the weapons, intel and resources at his disposal to achieve this but he won't because after all "a fight against Boko Haram is an attack on the north".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Humorclux: 12:23pm On Jul 11, 2015
All hail biafra...
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Humorclux: 12:24pm On Jul 11, 2015
WombRaiders:
which network u dey use?
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by atlwireles: 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
Good to know the economist is now feeling sorry for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by DaBullIT(m): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2015
Last struggle by a snake that lost its head
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by 4Play(m): 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
DaBullIT:

Ostrich mentality. Bury your head in the sand and proclaim to all and sundry that the upsurge in bomb attacks is "good" news.

1 Like

Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
atlwireles:
Good to know the economist is now feeling sorry for themselves.

Do not take the economist seriously.

They are merely trying to portray Buhari as slow and incompetent but that is not the case as I know that all these attacks can not be possible without top security connivance.

Read my post above for clarification.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 11, 2015
DaBullIT:

More like last mission of the muhajadeens
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2015
We know that Nigeria is on auto pilot so I'm not suprised
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
We know that Nigeria is on auto pilot so I'm not suprised

Do not confuse the security situation as a result of ineptitude but rather see it as a deliberate and well worked out ploy towards entrenching Boko Haram by legitimizing the group through an amnesty package.

Read my post above.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
Lalasticlala, plz move this to FP because truth has finally caught up with lies
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by bogs4real: 12:58pm On Jul 11, 2015
WombRaiders:
Has any one of you ever bothered to wonder how it was possible for ISIS which is composed of minority Sunni Muslims in Iraq was able to overrun vast territories of that country inspite of US arming, training and providing Intel to Iraq Security forces? This is opposite what Jonathan administration got by way of support from the Obama White House rather the Obama administration went along way to blocking alternatives to securing much needed weapons at the same time refused to share intel to the Nigerian Security forces and took it up a notch by refusing to designate Boko Haram a Foreign Terrorist Organizaion - a categorization that would have helped to block financing and support to the group.

In spite of all these challenges, the "clueless" Jonathan was at one time able to beat Boko Haram into a retreat to the Camerounian mountain borders where they were contained before they resurfaced again befor Jonathan ordered a full scale war which saw recapturing of local govts from the insurgents. Jonathan achieved all this without US , Uk and western military assistance.

But look at what we have in Iraq where US, has although refused to categorize ISIS as an FTO, but still supplies weapons and conducts air raids on ISIS positions. ISIS inspite of all this is still waxing strong and claiming more territory.

It also baffles me that the US govt will claim that one of ISIS principal fund sources is from captured Iraqi oil fields. How is ISIS shipping oil talk less of still able to maintain drilling operations without US connivance? What is stopping Obama from bombing the gas lines?

Iraq is mostly landlocked with only a small portion to the south bordering to the Gulf of Arabia, ISIS is thus still shipping oil via the gas pipelines through Turkey. Why is there not an embargo on Iraqi oil shipped from captured territory?

Back to Nigeria, it is very obvious why we are witnessing more expansion of Boko attacks into areas they had only sleeper cells and this is to blackmail Nigerians into accepting a peace deal and subsequent amnesty package for Boko Haram.

Boko Haram have stated their intention to swap the phantom Chibok girls in exchange for 16 of their top commanders in custody. This is just another attempt at using the Chibok scam to advance another agenda.

Buhari knows what he is doing.

Do not take the Economists seriously because their aim is to portray Buhari as merely incompetent when the truth is that all these bombings and Boko Haram expansion is to calculated towards forcing a negotiation option down our throats.

If Buhari truly wants to end Boko Haram he has all the weapons, intel and resources at his disposal to achieve this but he won't because after all "a fight against Boko Haram is an attack on the north".

I don't need to get too historical to know that the spate of bombings since Buhari took charge is politically motivated....a masterpiece to blackmail the newly emerged government, am sure Buhari is restoring sanity in the millitary and it is only a matter of time before Book haram vaporise
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2015
bogs4real:

I don't need to get too historical to know that the spate of bombings since Buhari took charge is politically motivated....a masterpiece to blackmail the newly emerged government, am sure Buhari is restoring sanity in the millitary and it is only a matter of time before Book haram vaporise

You veered off completely!

The bombs are from Buhari to us to force down an amnesty package for his Bokos for a job well done in getting him into power.

That is my point.

Read it again slowly.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by bogs4real: 1:12pm On Jul 11, 2015
WombRaiders:

You veered off completely!

The bombs are from Buhari to us to force down an amnesty package for his Bokos for a job well done in getting him into power.

That is my point.

Read it again slowly.
Be careful of ur libel.....even GEJ quote me anywhere never ruled out negotiating with the Boko Haram organisation, the overtures just never went well
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
bogs4real:

Be careful of ur libel.....even GEJ quote me anywhere never ruled out negotiating with the Boko Haram organisation, the overtures just never went well

Buhari is behind Boko Haram.

Make sure you tell him that for me.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by leke12(m): 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2015
If care is not taking I see ISIL(ex bokoram) invading the southern part of Nigeria.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by 4Play(m): 1:26pm On Jul 11, 2015
WombRaiders:

I don't know why you guys insist on seeing everything though the prism of partisan politics with your elaborate conspiracy theories. Boko Haram is an Islamist group that is not interested in partisan politics. It will continue to terrorise Nigerians whether APC, PDP, APGA, Labour, e.t.c is in power. The political affiliation of the occupant of Aso Rock is it immaterial to its objectives.

The way to fight Boko Haram is by improved military and intelligence gathering capabilities aligned to an economic programme to revitalise the North-East. There might be a few Boko fighters amenable to an amnesty programme which would need to be explored. However,
before any non-military solutions are explored, our security capability needs to be seriously upgraded. My disappointment with the current regime is that it is moving too slow and seems to be almost as tone-deaf as the previous regime.

1 Like

Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by bogs4real: 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2015
WombRaiders:

Now u are just being sentimental by ur subjectivity, it is only making him stronger this man will achieve willy nilly
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 11, 2015
4Play:

I don't know why you guys insist on seeing everything though the prism of partisan politics with your elaborate conspiracy theories. Boko Haram is an Islamist group that is not interested in partisan politics. It will continue to terrorise Nigerians whether APC, PDP, APGA, Labour, e.t.c is in power. The political affiliation of the occupant of Aso Rock is it immaterial to its objectives.

The way to fight Boko Haram is by improved military and intelligence gathering capabilities aligned to an economic programme to revitalise the North-East. There might be a few Boko fighters amenable to an amnesty programme which would need to be explored. However,
before any non-military solutions are explored, our security capability needs to be seriously upgraded. My disappointment with the current regime is that it is moving too slow and seems to be almost as tone-deaf as the previous regime.

The minute you come to realize that there is an Islamization agenda to put Muslims in full control then that day is when the scales will fall from your eyes.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by bogs4real: 1:30pm On Jul 11, 2015
4Play:

Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by bogs4real: 1:30pm On Jul 11, 2015
4Play:

From your insightfulness how fast is this regime supposed to move?

When a care is being repaired in workshop is it still racing, can u race or speed up with a wrecked car or vessel?
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by 4Play(m): 1:37pm On Jul 11, 2015
bogs4real:

From your insightfulness how fast is this regime supposed to move?

It found time and money to bailout state governments, yet soldiers' morale is collapsing due to the lack of supply of adequate ammunition as the Economist notes in its article. You may dismiss this, probably by calling the Economist Tanoid, but a government that prioritises security should ensure that our soldiers are adequately equipped and lack for nothing. That is the minimum you would expect.

2 Likes

Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by DaBullIT(m): 3:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
WombRaiders:

More like last mission of the muhajadeens

Rightly said . If Boko Haram can be defeated now , i am sure for the next 40 years we won't hear of insurgency , but Nigerian Armed forces need to seek help , support and they need to be crude .

One or three possible scenarios will play out ,

1 Boko haram ends completely and the North / Blood thirsty politicians sponsoring terror will be angry at Buhari

2 Boko haram activity reduces , some miscreants may bomb or assasinate once in a while

3 When that's done and over with , It's Likely Biafra and N-D terrorist restart their activities in the creeks and that would spell a lot of trouble for them,
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by DaBullIT(m): 3:29pm On Jul 11, 2015
4Play:

Ostrich mentality. Bury your head in the sand and proclaim to all and sundry that the upsurge in bomb attacks is "good" news.

[b]You don't have to agree with my opinion , I just swore i won't insult people , but now you are asking for it .

A flame burns brightest when it is about to go off

Besides,You dare mention the upsurge ? If Jonathan had tackled Insurgency since he took over from Late Y'aradua , Boko haram wouldn't have the resources they had today

close to 5 years as a president , he did not tackle Boko haram or fix security issues in the North , Boko Haram commited their greatest atrocities under GEJ's watch , Have a greasy memory ?? I will help you

UN building Bombing,
Independence day bombing ,
Abuja Bus park Bombing
Hostile take over of cities and villages,
Declaration of caliphate
Kidnap of school girls that he denied to know nothing about until PEJ screamed thereisgod on TV
GEJ was warned that they acquired SAM's and AA guns (Surface to Air Missiles ) (Anti Aircraft Guns)
but did he do anything ?? NOooo
Boko Haram then used the said weapons to down a drone and several helicopters
Captured Pilots and beheaded them Under GEJ's watch

Instead of putting on his man-pants he even refused help from international communities cutting ties with US marines was dumbest move so far to mention a few , You expect me to say 6 weeks contract to mercenaries to defeat Boko Haram after 6 years of Slumber is something i should be thankful for ?

Less than 100 days in office and you wailers are blaming PMB ?? aren't you ashamed , PMB inherited /bought a used car, it is very problematic and so , he wouldn't speed from 0 to 120km/h in such a rusty car , Would you ?>? He needs to repair and fix which is being done already , so , before you say something stewpyd next time , try to remember that not everybody has a brain or memory leak like you

My yansh in that your dirty mouth and my shyt on the fingers you used to type rubbish [/b] .
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 11, 2015
DaBullIT:

Rightly said . If Boko Haram can be defeated now , i am sure for the next 40 years we won't hear of insurgency , but Nigerian Armed forces need to seek help , support and they need to be crude .

One or three possible scenarios will play out ,

1 Boko haram ends completely and the North / Blood thirsty politicians sponsoring terror will be angry at Buhari

2 Boko haram activity reduces , some miscreants may bomb or assasinate once in a while

3 When that's done and over with , It's Likely Biafra and N-D terrorist restart their activities in the creeks and that would spell a lot of trouble for them,

Boko Haram or rather what they represent can never ever be defeated physically as long as Islam still exists.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by DaBullIT(m): 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2015
WombRaiders:

Boko Haram or rather what they represent can never ever be defeated physically as long as Islam still exists.

Like i suggested in a recent post , there'll be some spill over some would still hold grudges, however they will be rendered useless and extinct in Nigeria , Anything's possible with the right mindset and the right resources
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 11, 2015
DaBullIT:

Like i suggested in a recent post , there'll be some spill over some would still hold grudges, however they will be rendered useless and extinct in Nigeria , Anything's possible with the right mindset and the right resources

You think Buhari wants to make them extinct and irrelevant?

I pity you for believing in this lie called change.

Buhari has brought military operations against the group to a complete halt and has a hand in encouraging the spate of bomb blasts to force the likes of you to accept negotiations and amnesty for boko Haram.

The bombings are meant to blackmail you into accepting any option in stopping the violence if that includes an amnesty so be it.

Or why do you think they are called terrorists? It is because they employ terror to get their way.

Buhari will negotiate with boko haram and grant them amnesty and the group will be reformed to be a powerful power bloc in the north.

Buhari has not come to destroy them but to give them legitimacy.
Re: Bombs Are Back - Economist by DaBullIT(m): 4:14pm On Jul 11, 2015
[b]Yes , I believe

I don't want your pity , what i believe in doesn't have to be what you believe in

He brought attacks to a complete halt probably because Nigerian Army wasn't engaging Boko Haram, South African , Niger and Benin Mercenaries were paid , GEJ did not buy any weapons it was all a farce, just go to YouTube and google for Mercenaries fighting Boko Haram, there's CNN interview of those people identifying themselves as foreign nationals

The bombings are the last minute effort of the terrorists to blackmail PMB and i will not be surprised if it was sponsored by some very powerful politicians who have a lot to loose from PMB's Victory

If you watched the recent video , you'll see those people are not as composed and confident as the Shekau who would laugh and joke and threaten people and still carry out the said threats

GEJ considered Amnesty but backed out at the last minute because some people convinced him that the mercenary campaign on boko haram would buy him time and win him second term

MASSOB AND NDVF was given Amnesty , and we heard nothing of their attrocities anymore , If negotiating is the way forward, Why shouldn't they negotiate

The difference between NDVF and Boko haram is that ND is a whole city / region and the youths all get paid , But Boko Haram is a group a numbered group , the cost to the FG will be relatively lower compared to that of Niger Delta and Massob thugs otherwise both groups are TERRORISTS , Plain and Simple [/b]

WombRaiders:

You think Buhari wants to make them extinct and irrelevant?

I pity you for believing in this lie called change.

Buhari has brought military operations against the group to a complete halt and has a hand in encouraging the spate of bomb blasts to force the likes of you to accept negotiations and amnesty for boko Haram.

The bombings are meant to blackmail you into accepting any option in stopping the violence if that includes an amnesty so be it.

Or why do you think they are called terrorists? It is because they employ terror to get their way.

Buhari will negotiate with boko haram and grant them amnesty and the group will be reformed to be a powerful power bloc in the north.

Buhari has not come to destroy them but to give them legitimacy.

(1) (Reply)

Radio Biafra: We Must Avoid A Bloodbath / Nigeria's CBN Gov. Hurriedly Leaves US After Pres. Buhari Tongue Lashing / JAMB Urges Candidates To Check Website For Redistribution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.