Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,441 members, 7,850,546 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:05 AM

7 Most Debated Myths About Diabetes Mellitus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Most Debated Myths About Diabetes Mellitus (555 Views)

6 Popular Myths About Exercises / Top 10 Fertility Myths Debunked / 15 Facts You Must Know About Diabetes ( MUST READ ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

7 Most Debated Myths About Diabetes Mellitus by Jayclinics(m): 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2015
According to the American Diabetes Association, diabetes is increasing worldwide, this disease i characterized by high levels of glucose (sugar) in the blood as a result of defects in the body to produce or use insulin.
Insulin is very important in the body as it is the hormone that helps transport, metabolize and properly use the sugar in the body. It converts glucose to glycogen, which is a polysaccharide and it is the currency at which the body’s glucose bank understands and stores energy as.

Among the various myths about diabetes mellitus: seven are usually the most listened to:
Diabetes happens to only people who eat sugar:
That is false, there are several reasons why you can have diabetes mellitus, eating sugar may aggravate the disease, if consumed in excess.

I have no diabetes because I feel nothing:
False, when a person with diabetes start having symptoms is because it is already very advanced and it can take several months or years with the disease to get to that stage, when the disease is mild or starting out, you do not feel anything.

Only overweight people develop it:
False is true that overweight people have a higher risk of developing the disease, but anyone can have it, especially if you have a good lifestyle, or have family members with diabetes mellitus.

My insulin is bad:
False, in diabetes there is an alteration in the hormone insulin, meaning that it is not working well. when a person begins to receive an insulin treatment he/she is simply getting a natural hormone produced by the human body.

diabetes medications causing blindness:
False, both insulin and medications that are taken orally does not cause blindness. Diabetes mellitus left untreated or poorly controlled has a high percentage of developing blindness and can be permanent if not treated early.

Only when i reduce the consumption of sugar is when i have removed the diabetes mellitus:

False, diabetes is a disease that has no cure, it is for life, a few privileged people that have mild diabetes can be controlled only with a good eating habit and exercise. Even if well controlled should continue regular monitoring of their blood sugar and other tests that help determine that the disease is not complicated.
This are 7 most debated myths about diabetes mellitus that people have being battling on for years according to their level of ignorance. If you like this information or think you can be of help to others, share it with the share button below. You can also leave a comment below stating your own idea or the first thing that got into your mind after reading the post.

- See more at: http://cliniconomy.com/myths-about-diabetes-mellitus/

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Debated Myths About Diabetes Mellitus by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
This is good but i wish the post was much more encompassing .. detection, treatment and advise

(1) (Reply)

What Causes Low Sperm Count? / Treatment 4 Suicidal Patients In S/korea: Locking Them In Wooden Coffins [photo] / You Need To See This If You Stay Or Have Loved Ones In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.