Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

6 Popular Myths About Exercises - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Popular Myths About Exercises (17307 Views)

#coronavirus: MTN Nigeria Gives Facts And Myths About Eating Garlic / Common Beard Myths Demystified / 27 Basic Myths About HIV/AIDS You Must Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Popular Myths About Exercises by michaelo2(m): 9:47am On Jun 02, 2017
According to wikipedia, exercise is a Physical activity intended to improve strength and fitness.

But there are some myths or beliefs surrounding the way and how excercise should be. Here are the popular five:

1. If You Don't Feel The Pain, Then You Are Not Doing The Exercise Right.

Definitely, it is true that you should push yourself and try to extend the limits of your endurance level when you exercise, but what is not true at all, is that the best exercises are the ones that leave you feeling horribly sore, and beat up the next day.

Discomfort is natural during exercises, but pain? Bad idea. The idea that one should be in pain when exercising is simply wrong—muscle pain during or after exercise usually suggests an injury. Though some muscle soreness is unavoidable, especially if you are new to a type of exercise.

This myth has been flagged as wrong by doctors, physical therapists, and researchers of all stripes, but it still persists because most people love the idea of pushing themselves to work out harder with pain.

Though your workouts should still be challenging , but if you’re feeling any pain, you should stop.
"You want to exercise smarter, not harder,"

2. If You're Not Sweating, You're Not Putting Any Much Effort.

Everyone put sweating with exercising at equity, but that isn't always the case. People vary on how they sweat. Being physically trained improves your ability to sweat more and to start sweating sooner, men always tend to sweat more than women.

Sweating is related not only to exercise intensity, but also to the environment. If it's hot and humid, you're going to sweat more, even if you're not exercising. You will also sweat less if you're dehydrated or lose too much fluid while you're working out as your body has mechanisms to limit fluid losses to keep enough in your blood. So, sweating is not a reliable indicator of your effort level during exercise.

3. Lactic Acid Is The One Cause Of Pain After Exercise.

A common Knowledge is that lactic acid build-up in the muscle area causes muscle soreness. This is based on the fact that during intense exercise like weight training the muscles make energy for contraction anaerobically (without oxygen), which leads to lactic acid production. This is in contrast to aerobic exercises like walking or jogging that produce energy using oxygen, with little lactic acid build-up.

This belief has been shown to be false since any lactic acid that is produced during exercise is cleared shortly after you finish, long before muscle soreness begins.

Instead, that soreness is actually caused by tears in your muscle that occur as you exercise —especially if you’re just starting an exercise regimen:
It turns out that tough exercise leads to microscopic tears in the muscle, which leads to inflammation and soreness. This sounds bad, but the muscle damage is an important step in the muscle getting bigger and stronger. Your muscles are made up of protein filaments that shorten, leading to a contraction.

Essentially, as your body repairs those microscopic tears, you’re building new, healthy, and strong muscle tissue. This is also the reason why weight training encourages you to increase the resistance or heaviness of your weights as you get accustomed to one level—it’s only through this process that you actually get stronger and build more muscle.

4. You Can Focus On Losing Fat From Certain Body Parts.

Fact is Spot-training does not work . Fat cells is every where across your entire body. If you want to get rid of fat from a specific spot, you need to lose overall body fat.

5. Exercise Alone Keeps You Healthy

Wrong Wrong Wrong..... Many think after exercising, you can do anything you want to your body. Exercising keeps you fit but not healthy, it only adds to your health status.

Your diet and lifestyle keeps you healthy.
Have you ever wondered why all these footballers keep slumping on and off the field, thats because they focus more on been fit, and not their health.
Not every one that exercises is healthy they are just fit.

6. All Exercises Are Good For The Body

Most belief, you can pick up any kind of exercise, then start to work out. Not all exercises are for male and vice versa, not all for old or young, some can even to lead to been hospitalised or in extreme cases death. Exercises need to be done with due consultation and at a particular regimen.

In conclusion, excercise is great for the body, meet up with a professional physical trainer to see which kind of excercise flows well with your body system, do not say because he/she owns a gym that they are certified. Be Sure, Its Your Health, Its Your Life.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/06/5-popular-myths-about-exercises.html?m=1

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 10:32am On Jun 02, 2017
Very balanced piece of info. But in the strength training world the mantra "No pain No gain" still stands. Do you know why? Without pain your muscles can never grow with or without steroids. The "pain" is not usually discomforting, it is just like a kind of sweet bitter wave of heat radiating over the muscles being trained.

No Pain
No Gain.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by IhateAfonjas(m): 11:25am On Jun 02, 2017

I hate people who don't exercise

They just sit down and keep swallowing food, getting fat and smelling like goat ass

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Kizyte(m): 11:25am On Jun 02, 2017
Is that why women don't see their face as real without make-up? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Iamsheye(m): 11:26am On Jun 02, 2017
k
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by veekid(m): 11:26am On Jun 02, 2017
Who exercise epp?
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Arian11(m): 11:26am On Jun 02, 2017
i cant even exercise to save my life undecided
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 02, 2017
Okay
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Profkomolafe(m): 11:27am On Jun 02, 2017
Exercise makes the body fit.

1 Like

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Chiefly(m): 11:27am On Jun 02, 2017
7 minutes of intense exercise everyday is all he average person needs..
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Quinn22(f): 11:27am On Jun 02, 2017
Me I love pain oh when I exercise, if I don't feel pain, I'm not doing it right and I feel I'm waiting my time smiley

And I love to exercise for long hours, let's say 3 or more hrs a day wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by kpaofame: 11:27am On Jun 02, 2017
excercise is great for the body, meet up with a professional physical trainer to see which kind of exercise flows well with your body system, do not say because he/she owns a gym that they are certified. Be Sure, Its Your Health, Its Your Life.

ooh i See grin grin grin

i dont need any extra exercise jare...The trekking i do daily and fanning myself in the night since there is no power supply is enough...

You do exercise you die...you nor do exercise you die...But if you be orobo better hit the gym ooo grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 02, 2017
You will feel pain when you start to exercise _Inevitable!
I don't think that's a myth, it's a fact, though it gets better with time.

1 Like

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by eightsin(m): 11:28am On Jun 02, 2017
Okay
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 02, 2017
Nice one op... I believed No 1and 2 when I jst started working out and I'll usually feel unfulfilled when I don't sweat or feel pains... No 4tho......
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by lepasharon(f): 11:29am On Jun 02, 2017
I don't get point 4, so they saying push ups don't help loose belly fat
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Mofpearl: 11:30am On Jun 02, 2017
Lovely piece.

Don't get no 6.

I have heard of any exercises being exclusive to gender.

Let me add mine.

Myth 7. If women lift heavy they bulk
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by deebrain(m): 11:32am On Jun 02, 2017
I love this....

It's a thing of beauty to go for regular check ups and have excellent test results.

The benefits of exercise to the body cannot be over emphasized.

PS. the Op is right in the pain point made. The "no pain, no gain" term is referring to the usual discomfort the body will feel when pushing your limits --NOT THE DAMAGING PAIN (which is usually a pointer to injuries). Kindly get it right.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Olaa: 11:33am On Jun 02, 2017
Thank you ooooooo.... Injury to muscle is different from Stretching the muscle to be stronger. Until your muscle gets used to the exercise, the pain will be there... That's why you are advised not to take any analgesic after exercise. Definitely when you exercise for the first time your body will react that's why they Say "No Pain No Gain" .

PRISTINEMUSCLES:
Very balanced piece of info. But in the strength training world the mantra "No pain No gain" still stands. Do you know why? Without pain your muscles can never grow with or without steroids. The "pain" is not usually discomforting, it is just like a kind of sweet bitter wave of heat radiating over the muscles being trained.

No Pain
No Gain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Asj001: 11:34am On Jun 02, 2017
IhateAfonjas:

They just sit down and keep swallowing food, getting fat and smelling like goat ass
smelling like goat because they don't exercise
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Asj001: 11:34am On Jun 02, 2017
IhateAfonjas:

smelling like goat because they don't exercise?
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Ezedon(m): 11:35am On Jun 02, 2017
Godwin39918:
Are you tired of loosing? Are you planning on giving up? Here is your only possible solution. you can decide to doubt while others keep hitting it big.. Check out my Details below and Get ready to smile..
Scam
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by mack111(m): 11:36am On Jun 02, 2017
Godwin39918:
Are you tired of loosing? Are you planning on giving up? Here is your only possible solution. you can decide to doubt while others keep hitting it big.. Check out my Details below and Get ready to smile..
if you really win these tickets, why broadcast it for mere change?

1 Like

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by NevetsIbot(m): 11:36am On Jun 02, 2017
I so much wanna upload what ive achieved with my body from just push ups and sit ups.... If you don't work out, I can't date you. Shimpu

Don't want a woman who'll swell up like soaked bread after one child.

We train together... Lehgo

3 Likes

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by IhateAfonjas(m): 11:36am On Jun 02, 2017
Godwin39918:

Why can't you implement your tricks/winning methods and get all the money by yourself instead of sharing your secret to people who would take all the money

3 Likes

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by IhateAfonjas(m): 11:37am On Jun 02, 2017
Asj001:

You forgot swallowing food and getting fat
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by Mofpearl: 11:37am On Jun 02, 2017
Olaa:

Thank you ooooooo.... Injury to muscle is different from Stretching the muscle to be stronger. Until your muscle gets used to the exercise, the pain will be there... That's why you are advised not to take any analgesic after exercise. Definitely when you exercise for the first time your body will react that's why they Say "No Pain No Gain" .

How do analgesic affect excercise/gains?
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by lollarj(f): 11:37am On Jun 02, 2017
Asj001:

hmmm...hahaha !

Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by mack111(m): 11:39am On Jun 02, 2017
Exercise does keep you fit & healthy... Better functioning of the heart and lungs. This isn't a myth, sorry.
Re: 6 Popular Myths About Exercises by NevetsIbot(m): 11:40am On Jun 02, 2017
lepasharon:
I don't get point 4, so they saying push ups don't help loose belly fat
lol.. Push up builds mostly your arms,shoulders and chest muscles. It also trains some muscles close to your abs too but doesnt burn fat...... Except you turn your push ups into a cardio workout... But doing your push ups real fast... Which is impossible.

Pristinemuscles, correct?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uvwie LGA Youths Resist Burial Of Dead COVID-19 Patient / Does GNLD Drug/ Food Supplements Work? / Do Black Women Get Cellulite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.