Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: (6220 Views)

How I Moved From Shame to Grace With Blogging - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian / Shell Sacks 6,500, Slash Capital Spending / Chemical And Petroleum Engineering Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by kvolander: 7:15pm On Mar 08, 2009
Hello guys,

Please, I need your advice.
I possess the following qualifications (bachelors-chemical, Masters-Petroleum abroad and 6months internship with shell.It's almost 7 months now after my graduation but with no job.I've sent my CV to many oil companies in lagos and some in PH but I'm yet to get any response, not even an aptitude test. i'v even sent twice to some of the oil companies.Although, i dropped most of them with the security as u can't be allowed inside.

The non-oil companies are even worse because they give me outright rejection perhaps because of my background.

IS IT THAT THE CERTIFICATES (EVEN FOREIGN) ARE NOT IMPORTANT AGAIN OR WHAT.

What do u guys think could be happening?

What other advice can you guys give to me.

Your sincere advice will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by nana(f): 7:22pm On Mar 08, 2009
I dunno but i think u need to put ur future before God. Not saying there is more to it though.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by goodboybad(m): 12:05am On Mar 09, 2009
try banks. they accept everybody.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by Jarus(m): 11:03am On Mar 09, 2009
World class oil companies like Shell, Chevron etc don't recruit anytime,anyhow. They have a well-structured, timed recruitment process. You can't just enter Shell or Chevron premises, drop your CV(even with their HR, not to talk of gatemen) and say you are looking for job. I know much about Shell having gone through their recruitment process before, and I can tell you that their graduate recruitment process is globally coordinated, and in most cases once in a year. Their recruiment process starts with advert placed in top national dailies, then you fill forms online(that itself is an academic exercise that took me almost a week to complete), then an a rigorous about 2-hour interview is scheduled for the shortlisted applicants under 3 criteria called CAR(Capability, Achievement and Relationship skills) and for the technical positions, there is the fourth called Technical skills. Then if you scale through that stage, you will be invited for the final stage called SRD(Shell Recruitment Day), a full day activity where you will be grouped with 5 or 6 other candidates to practically demonstrate your skills(through teamwork, interactions, ideas on an imaginary project, brainstorming, press conference etc) a la reality show, and you will be observed while this lasts. If you scale through that thorough stage, then you medicals follow.

So in essence, most standard oil companies don't just take one CV and invite you for selection process, except it is for experienced hire. They have time and a standardized graduate recruitment process. Even with your masters and your 7 months internship, you are not yet qualified for experienced hire.

So whoever resolves to join oil company needs patience. It is banks that recruit almost every week.

1 Like

Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by soulamanne(m): 8:42am On Mar 11, 2009
u are such a teacher!kudos
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by extype: 5:57pm On Mar 14, 2009
i think u shd av remained abroad after the mastes to get a job.we av more oil coy in the uk or usa.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by laplace(m): 8:17pm On Mar 14, 2009
You need to wake up, pal. I think you were living in a dream land and suddenly, you just discovered that reality is dawning on you. Bachelors, Masters degree, internship and so what? What have you got to offer? What can you do for the companies you're applying to? What have you been doing for the past 7 months? Eating and drinking and waiting for the companies to call you to earn N750K? You seem to be far from realities.

Continue your search, but stop looking down on 'smaller' companies. Chevron, Shell, Mobil, Texaco are good, but they might not be the best for you. I don't work for any of this coys but I earn something good, between N450K and N500K. I've got only a first degree, though and I don't think a masters degree will make it N1 higher. Better performance will definitely make it several hundreds of thousands better!

There are many other coys you can apply to: Accenture, KPMG, PWC, NNPC, new generation banks such as GTBank, Intercontinental Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, etc, Unilever, P&G, PZ, Reckitt Benkisser, and a lot of others.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by Nobody: 9:49pm On Mar 14, 2009
@Poster.
Your first mistake was returning to Nigeria without consulting fellow Nigerians abroad that returned home.
Firstly, have you done your NYSC? They may be ignoring you because you don't have your NYSC certificate yet. (The NYSC issue has caused a lot of problems for many returnees)
Secondly, did you school in the U.S? If you did, then what happened to that little word that career services at your school must have told you 1 billion times "Networking"
You should have been networking with the shell staff in Nigeria when you interned with shell. I'm guessing you had access to the company intranet at the time?
If you schooled in the U.S, and you asked around properly, you would have learnt that Chevron and ExxonMobil officials from nigeria come to houston virtually everyyear to give the employment tests/interviews. You could have easily bagged a job that way. Once accepted, they help you with the NYSC posting thingy and the good thing is that as a foreign graduate, you choose the location you want to serve at so employing you in Nigeria won't have been a problem for them.
You swagger would have been a lot higher if you had done proper research and contacted these companies before you left the U.S.(assuming you skooled in the states)
You could have contacted recruiters during normal school career fairs and specifically stated to them that you would like to work for their subsidiary in Nigeria. They would have gladly extended contact infos to you.
This and a few other things would have landed you a job in Naija before setting foot unto MMA. I have a couple of friends who did these and are currently working in Exxon and Chevron and thats how i know.
With a Masters, they would have offered you at least $78,000 and this was several yrs back.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by donpapa(m): 10:53pm On Mar 14, 2009
He(God) will surely help you if only you can be closer to him through prayer.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by server34(m): 7:51pm On Mar 15, 2009
@ Poster, from what you said, you graduated from your masters program in september last year. Most of the oil companies do not just conduct tests and interviews for graduate positions randomly. They usually advertise yearly in the dailies, and this comes up usually around May-August. So, you would have to wait a little while to make your applications. Meanwhile, you should drop your CV on Total and Exxonmobil website for graduate positions. Try careers.total.com and fill out an unsolicited application. I wish u all the best.

My other advice is that you can remove your M.Sc degree from your CV when applying to non-oil companies, as this would usually make them have a bias towards you.

laplace:

You need to wake up, pal.  I think you were living in a dream land and suddenly, you just discovered that reality is dawning on you.  Bachelors, Masters degree, internship and so what?  What have you got to offer?  What can you do for the companies you're applying to?  What have you been doing for the past 7 months?  Eating and drinking and waiting for the companies to call you to earn N750K?  You seem to be far from realities.

Continue your search, but stop looking down on 'smaller' companies.  Chevron, Shell, Mobil, Texaco are good, but they might not be the best for you.  I don't work for any of this coys but I earn something good, between N450K and N500K.  I've got only a first degree, though and I don't think a masters degree will make it N1 higher.  Better performance will definitely make it several hundreds of thousands better!

There are many other coys you can apply to: Accenture, KPMG, PWC, NNPC, new generation banks such as GTBank, Intercontinental Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, etc, Unilever, P&G, PZ, Reckitt Benkisser, and a lot of others.

And you, why have you decided to vent your frustration out on the poster? Did he tell you he was dreaming? Or is it because his credentials could be better than yours? Did you not see from his post that he has been applying to other companies besides oil companies? It is only natural for someone with a masters degree in petroleum engineering to aim for a career with Oil companies.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by Hotstepper(f): 4:33am On Mar 17, 2009
I know one Shell op person was in Canada from December and just left 4 Naija 2 weeks ago as he came to recruit people.

Keep searching and apply to other places, good luck
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by dimeo: 5:58pm On Jun 21, 2009
please does anybody knows how good msc energy futures(oil and gas) is at the university of aberdeen as my sister is having her doubts on the course .she tried to change to subsea engineering but she was denied, please if u have any idea on the credibilty of the course please hala
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by adhoc: 11:11pm On Jun 21, 2009
my friend, your cv is impressive and I think i can help refer your cv to our recruitment experts. (HR) through shell referal programme.
Though you did not mention the class of ur degree, but I hope its not less than 2.2. and you are below 35yrs.

If yes post ur email add and you will be contacted soon.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by mimah: 12:24pm On Jun 23, 2009
Hey, Can you get in touch with me on 07040918253
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by blinkie: 4:06pm On Jun 23, 2009
Hello! have you done an appraisal on your cv? It really counts this dayz, cos most cvs get to the bin.Never doing what they are made for.I recommend www.editmycv.com. Or you could go straight ahead and send your cv to info@editmycv.com for a free cv appraisal.I'll advise you try sending your already appraised cv to recruitment agencies.As much as possible.I strongly believe, cos u've gt some rily nice qualifications.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by mildteddy(m): 10:17pm On Jul 01, 2015
Jarus:
World class oil companies like Shell, Chevron etc don't recruit anytime,anyhow. They have a well-structured, timed recruitment process. You can't just enter Shell or Chevron premises, drop your CV(even with their HR, not to talk of gatemen) and say you are looking for job. I know much about Shell having gone through their recruitment process before, and I can tell you that their graduate recruitment process is globally coordinated, and in most cases once in a year. Their recruiment process starts with advert placed in top national dailies, then you fill forms online(that itself is an academic exercise that took me almost a week to complete), then an a rigorous about 2-hour interview is scheduled for the shortlisted applicants under 3 criteria called CAR(Capability, Achievement and Relationship skills) and for the technical positions, there is the fourth called Technical skills. Then if you scale through that stage, you will be invited for the final stage called SRD(Shell Recruitment Day), a full day activity where you will be grouped with 5 or 6 other candidates to practically demonstrate your skills(through teamwork, interactions, ideas on an imaginary project, brainstorming, press conference etc) a la reality show, and you will be observed while this lasts. If you scale through that thorough stage, then you medicals follow.

So in essence, most standard oil companies don't just take one CV and invite you for selection process, except it is for experienced hire. They have time and a standardized graduate recruitment process. Even with your masters and your 7 months internship, you are not yet qualified for experienced hire.

So whoever resolves to join oil company needs patience. It is banks that recruit almost every week.
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by baba11(m): 9:55am On Jul 04, 2015
adhoc:
my friend, your cv is impressive and I think i can help refer your cv to our recruitment experts. (HR) through shell referal programme.
Though you did not mention the class of ur degree, but I hope its not less than 2.2. and you are below 35yrs.

Hmmmm
Re: Beng(chemical), Internship In Shell, & Msc (petroleum) Abroad, Still Jobless: by jamanuka: 1:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
adhoc:

But Shell doesn't do employee referral program..Not even for experienced hires

(1) (Reply)

Get A New Job -revit, 3ds Max, Autocad, Archicad, Primavera, Ms Project Training / Should Employees Access Social Media At Work? / Advice A Prospective Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.