Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,584 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Advice A Prospective Graduate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice A Prospective Graduate (6221 Views)

Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer / I'm In A Critical Situation, Please Advice A Confused Soul. / Amaka Anku: HR Manager Shares Mail She Got From Prospective Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2023
I will be graduating in a couple of months..
I studied electrical engineering at a federal university.

While in school, I was fortunate to have saved up about 2.7 million naira having engaged in some online side hustle with a small skill I learnt..but I can't depend on this skill for survival as the incomes are not steady at all.

My mom is about to retire .my dad who lives separately is no longer interested in my care and doesn't want me around as soon as I am done studying.

This means I am literally on my own.
What advice can you give to a me in order to start life and sustain my self.

I once thought of buying a used corolla to begin Uber/bolt.. I also don't have any planned business in mind

Mods pls fp🙏

6 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by temitope66(m): 3:46pm On Dec 28, 2023
Which online hustle give you 2.7m

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:02pm On Dec 28, 2023
If you can save almost 3 million with your online side hustle,
Why aren't you Interested in the hustle anymore?

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Sultty(m): 4:02pm On Dec 28, 2023
dreaming big is important but trying to avoid this👇 is more importanter

7 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Nanorest: 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
Online scam you mean? Everyone use internet hustle as a means of hiding I'll gotten wealth. If your internet hustle is genuine, what stop the money from coming?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Timoleon(m): 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
Whatever it is that you did on a part time basis and saved up 2.7million is definitely profitable. No come here come dey disturb us with stupid questions.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by LordIsaac(m): 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2023
temitope66:
Which online hustle give you 2.7m
grin

2 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by ednut1(m): 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2023
learn tech

6 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Entanglement: 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

While in school, I was fortunate to have saved up about 2.7 million naira having engaged in some online side hustle with a small skill I learnt..but I can't depend on this skill for survival as the incomes are not steady at all.

My mom is about to retire .my dad who lives separately is no longer interested in my care and doesn't want me around as soon as I am done studying.

I once thought of buying a used corolla to begin Uber/bolt.. I also don't have any planned business in mind

Mods pls fp🙏
find how you go take japa because work no dey!

Any ediot were dey tell you go learn trade or hand work or go do business slap am undecided

The useless presidents Una vote is here to reap this country apart!
You put that 2.7 million for business and what how village people together with govt tax devour you apart

2 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chevrolet076(m): 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Mods pls fp🙏

My advice for you:

Do
Depending on your grade and age, apply for graduate trainee roles in any institution and build your career from there.
Improve on the legit skill that gave you 2m+ and grow better from there
If you'll do business, ensure you are able to monitor it properly or put someone you trust

Don't
Don't go into Uber or riding anything by yourself at this age, it'll take your time and the gain is short term.
In all you do, avoid crime or anything incriminating.

I pray God help you.

9 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by omoadeleye(m): 4:07pm On Dec 28, 2023
You have an online skill that made you that much, just sharpen it and continue to focus on it.

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by liamjakes247: 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
Be humble and learn electrical trade from an igbo man within a year since it's the field you studied....
Start getting things you'll need for your shop within the period..
You should be good on your own within a year or two by God's grace.

5 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by parkervero(m): 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
Learn a demanding skill
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Dimaya: 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
I'll advise you to forget about any business for now and find a job. Any job, that'll allow you to save a little, pay your bills and access the internet.

Before entering any business, interview at least 10 people who are in the industry and ask about their pains. Would they enter that field if they were starting out? Ask if they have children in the field. Why not?

If you attempt to start a transport business, you'll meet with disappointment. Uber and bolt drivers have a tough time making enough to cover the 4year depreciation of the vehicles.

I'd advice you to take your time to watch the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHXkCsJ2fc

The speaker addresses concerns for recent graduates in Nigeria and he is spot on.

All the best. And thank me later

3 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Tunde835(m): 4:09pm On Dec 28, 2023
You need to start a business even if it's a shop that you'll put someone to stay there for you. If care ìs not taken you might spend the money.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mummyimbecile(m): 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
From the money you save, buy a brand new laptop with at least 8 to 16gb ram.. In fact, Google the specifications that a laptop should have to be used for coding.

The laptop won't pass 450k, do enough data, go and inquire about a tech school around you were you can learn web programming and design and also video editing.

Learn it with passion, and at night learn on YouTube, when you feel you're perfect, head over to Upwork and open a profile, start bidding for the job, you will surely get your first gig, and believe me, it will get better from there.

And when that happens, you will turn from a struggling dude to a Fresh Dude...

Let me quickly add that I paid for my flight ticket to the United States with part of the money I made from freelancing.

Freelancing pays!

I'm talking from experience.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by olaztek(m): 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
Learn how to repair electronic gadgets like phones, pc, laptop, Inverter, Bluetooth Speakers and so on. Repair service are now highly demanded as most people cannot afford to buy new gadgets when the ones they have become faulty.

You will be cashing out daily without worrying about the economic downturn.

5 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by liamjakes247: 4:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
You don't do this for a start, putting someone to manage your business when you're just starting. I made that mistakes, it's cost me losing everything.
Tunde835:
You need to start a business even if it's a shop that you'll put someone to stay there for you. If care ìs not taken you might spend the money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by babaRUNtinz(m): 4:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
Define the online hustle... And why don't you want continue with the hustle?
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Pootle: 4:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
Timoleon:
Whatever it is that you did on a part time basis and saved up 2.7million is definitely profitable. No come here come dey disturb us with stupid questions.

very true we the elders of this forum approve this advise

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by showlove911(m): 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
Job choice, passion and financial prudence

Toiling away at a job you hate will not only leave you stressed out and dissatisfied with life, it could affect your chances at getting rich because you don't appreciate the outcome.
The wealthiest, most successful people pursue their passions, you should consider doing the same thing in your working days in life. Do what you have passion for, work is fun. Passion defeats education, intelligence, skills, and any other advantage those who lack passion might have in life.
Passion gives you the energy, persistence, and focus needed to overcome failures, mistakes, and rejection.It infuses you with a fanatical tenacity that makes it possible to overcome obstacles and pitfalls that block your path.
Spending more than you make is the fastest and surest road to financial breakdown. You can't be earning a salary of 50 thousand naira and be driving a car that requires maintenance of 15 thousand naira monthly, it leaves you with 35 thousand naira salary. You have groceries and rent to pay the same month with other little things to do with money. What happened to saving?What of pursuing opportunities that present themselves. Spending more than you earn and putting saving on your back creates long-term poverty.

Showlove....
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Sirchiboy: 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Mods pls fp🙏
Is it sportybet gave you the 2.7m
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Tunde835(m): 4:16pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Mods pls fp🙏
If you don't have a planned business in mind have it in mind now. Brainstorm on business ideas.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by ImoleNaija: 4:16pm On Dec 28, 2023
I will advise you get a skill related to your course of study. It could be electrical installation & maintenance or any Telecommunications graduate trainee positions. You could build a career from there while running the online side hustle.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by KarinaSlim(f): 4:17pm On Dec 28, 2023
Give woman the money

You no like soft yansh?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by bluefilm: 4:17pm On Dec 28, 2023
I'm only here to read comments.

Both useful and useless comments...

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Fintechng: 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2023
Good advice
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Natbrowny: 4:21pm On Dec 28, 2023
Continue wit the online business. If u can make 2.7milla..u can make more..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Raalsalghul: 4:23pm On Dec 28, 2023
Gerrard59
Tensazangetsu20

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get A New Job -revit, 3ds Max, Autocad, Archicad, Primavera, Ms Project Training / In A Dilemma, Seriously In Need Of Help. (acca Or Should Go Back To School) / Why "Follow Your Passion Is Dangerous Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.