Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI (24856 Views)

President Buhari Meets With Security Chiefs On Kaduna Killings / Ambode & His Security Chiefs On Early Morning Patrol In Lagos / Amaechi’s Letter To Saraki Lacks Merit, Says PDP (2) (3) (4)

I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 12:31am On Jul 14, 2015
By Clifford Ndujihe, Ben Agande, Dapo Akinrefon & Levinus Nwabughiogu

ABUJA— In an apparent bid to re-jig the nation’s security apparatus in the wave of growing insurgent attacks and suicide bombings, President Muhammadu Buhari, 45 days after assuming office, yesterday sacked all the service chiefs and appointed replacements whom he said were chosen on merit.

The new security helmsmen are Major-General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin (Chief of Defence Staff); Major-General T.Y. Buratai (Chief of Army Staff), Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas (Chief of Naval Staff) and Air Vice-Marshal Sadique Abubakar (Chief of Air Staff). The rest are Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan (Chief of Defence Intelligence) and retired Major-General Babagana Monguno (National Security Adviser)

THE NEW SERVICE CHIEFS, NSA
This was contained in a statement issued in Abuja by the Special Adviser to the President, Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina.

The statement said the new Service Chiefs would hold their appointments in
acting capacity until confirmed by the Senate.
Those relieved of their jobs yesterday include Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh and the National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki. Others are Chief of Army Staff, Kenneth Minimah; Chief of Naval Staff, Usman Jibrin; and Chief of Air Staff, Adesola Amosu.

Badeh and the former Army, Air Force and Naval chiefs were appointed by former president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan in January 2014, a month after he sacked the previous top brass.

That followed a daring raid against a military installation in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri, which saw aircraft destroyed and weapons seized.
“The President has relieved the service chiefs, including the heads of the Army, Air Force and Navy of their appointments,” Femi Adesina stated, adding, “President Buhari thanks the outgoing service chiefs and National Security Adviser for their services to the nation and wishes them well in their future endeavours.”
Buratai, from Borno State — the worst affected by the insurgency — has been commander of the new, strengthened regional force against Boko Haram which is due to be deployed later this month.
A new commander for the multi-national force will now be appointed, Adesina said.

You were chosen on merit — Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the appointment of the new Service Chiefs was on merit.

Addressing them shortly after their appointments were announced, the President also called on them to show utmost commitment to their new duties, urging them to regain the lost glory of the Nigerian Armed Forces.

He promised to send their names immediately to the senate for confirmation.

“All of you, including the National Security Adviser, were chosen on merit. Your records gave you the job. Save for the new Chief of Army Staff whom I briefly met at his Command at the Multi-National Joint Task Force, in Chad, I don’t know any of you. Your records recommended you.

“Legally, you are in acting capacity until the National Assembly accepts you. It is only then that you will take the oath of office. Thereafter, we will sit down and talk in more detail,” President Buhari told the new service chiefs.

Their sack long overdue

The move elicited commendations from some eminent Nigerians, who said it was long overdue, given the increasing wave of the Boko Haram insurgency.

The military command has come under heavy criticism for its poor handling of the six-year insurgency that has seen the deaths of more than 15,000 people and forced another 1.5 million to flee their homes.

Under the commanders’ watch, the militants captured swathes of territory, including towns and villages in the remote North-East in its quest to establish a hardline Islamic state.

In addition, the sacked military chiefs were unable to free more than 200 schoolgirls abducted in the North-eastern town of Chibok on April 14 last year, despite repeated promises.

Boko Haram has stepped up its attacks since Buhari became president on May 29, with a wave of raids, explosions and suicide bombings against civilians. About 600 people have been killed since May 29, 2015.

The surge in violence has sparked concern that gains made by the armies of Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon against the insurgents since February this year are being eroded.

Profile of the new service chiefs

Major-General T.Y. Buratai – Chief of Army Staff
Major General TY Buratai who hails from Borno State was the Force Commander of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) before his appointment. He has served as Director at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja and also served as the Brigade Commander at 2 Brigade, Nigerian Army Port Harcourt as well as Commander, Joint Task Force, Operation PULO SHIELD. Maj-Gen. Buratai has also served as Commander of the Nigerian Army School of Infantry in Jaji, Kaduna State.

Major-General Babagana Monguno (rtd.) – National Security Adviser

Has worked as Commander, Nigerian Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), in Minna, Niger State.

Major-General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin – Chief of Defence Staff

The new Chief of Defence Staff, Maj.-Gen. Olonisakin (N/6901) hails from Ekiti State. Until his appointment as Chief of Defence Staff , he was the Head of the Nigerian Army Training and Doctrine Command in Minna, Niger State.

Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas – Chief of Naval Staff

He hails from Cross River State. He enlisted into the Nigerian Defence Academy as a member of the 26th Regular Course in 1979 and was commissioned as a Sub-Lieutenant in 1983. His previous appointments include Naval Provost-Marshal, Chief Staff Officer, Naval Training Command, Chief of Administration, Naval Headquarters, Flag Officer Commanding, Western Naval Command and Chief of Logistics, Naval Headquarters. Until his appointment as Chief of Naval Staff, he was the Chief Executive Officer of Navy Holdings Limited.

Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar – Chief of Air Staff

(NAF/1433) hails from Bauchi State. His previous appointments include Chief of Standards and Evaluation, NAF Headquarters; Chief of Defence Communications and Air Officer Commanding, NAF Training Command. Until his new appointment as Chief of Air Staff, he was the Chief of Administration, NAF Headquarters.

DSS hails Monguno’s appointment

Reacting to the appointment, both serving and retired officers of the Department of State Services (DSS) expressed satisfaction with the appointment of Major-General Babagana Monguno as the National Security Adviser over former Chief of Army Staff, General Abdulrahman Dambazzau who had been widely touted as favourite for the job.
Some operatives of the service who spoke with Vanguard shortly after the new set of security chiefs were announced noted that with the appointment of Monguno as the NSA, there is bound to be greater inter-agency co-operation amongst the nation’s security agencies.

They deserved to be sacked—Sagay

Constitutional lawyer, Professor Itse Sagay, SAN, said the decision by the President to sack the NSA and service chiefs was expected.

Sagay said: “In fact, it has taken too long. These were all Jonathan’s men, loyal to Jonathan, who were ready to sabotage the election in order to allow Jonathan re-plan. These are all anti-Buhari and anti-APC people. They should have been sacked long ago. Their sack was overdue, they deserved to be sacked.”

It’s long overdue—Ajulo, LP scribe

Sagay has a soul mate in the National Secretary of the Labour Party, LP, Dr Kayode Ajulo, who also said, ‘’the sack is long overdue, there is nothing unusual in the sack of the service chiefs.”

It’s kudos to Buhari –Ekujumi

Also speaking, the National Chairman of the Committee for the Protection of Peoples Mandate (CPPM), Nelson Ekujumi, congratulated President Buhari on the move and urged him to probe the role of the former service chiefs in the war against the Boko Haram insurgency.

His words: “We regard this sack as a long awaited and welcome development which will go a long way in repositioning and enhancing our democracy”.

http://linkis.com/www.vanguardngr.com/39c9w

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 14, 2015
and that's the way the game is meant to be played, not by lobbying or recommendation.
ride on baba.
Sai Buhari...

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by dyabman(m): 12:34am On Jul 14, 2015
good

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 14, 2015
Yes my president. The era of impunity and wuru- wuru promotion is over. GOD bless U, GOD bless Nigeria.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by StOla: 12:35am On Jul 14, 2015
How can it be on merit when there's no Biafran there?

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 14, 2015
Why is Obasanjo only man with that name ?

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by rakish(m): 12:51am On Jul 14, 2015
I have faith in this present government. Its too early to judge or start judging.

20 Likes

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by b3llo(m): 2:19am On Jul 14, 2015
Congrats to the New Service Chiefs and NSA.
Time to show Book Haram pepper and prove them wrong.

17 Likes

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by talentedjoe(m): 2:27am On Jul 14, 2015
Let performance speak for them

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by kazmanbanjoko(m): 5:00am On Jul 14, 2015
Sai baba, ride on jarey. Yu no get wahala. Anybody wey no like am fit relocate comot for 9ja. I cant shout.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by aminho(m): 5:01am On Jul 14, 2015
Sai godiya chin suya Sai ranan sallah

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by isbish(m): 5:06am On Jul 14, 2015
Good one PMB. God gave you this power and as you sincerely make effort to salvage the good name of this nation called Nigeria, HE, God in His infinite mercy shall guide and protect you. As for haters or Tanoids, the sooner u all see you are hating God's own annointed servant, the better for u all to earn the favor of God to guide u to the right path. We love u PMB and u will prove ur haters wrong.

16 Likes

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by jogsman01(m): 5:10am On Jul 14, 2015
so? shey na emeritus he wan choose them before ni?

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by boboLIL(m): 5:22am On Jul 14, 2015
U don't knw wah u re d0in....mr man....

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:39am On Jul 14, 2015
studio14:
Why is Obasanjo only man with that name ?
Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 5:40am On Jul 14, 2015
Is not about their origin but attitude and style.

I learnt one of them is a Bokoharam sympathizer and a close friend.

Did he even do a proper check on their antecedents? From what the Nation newsprint wrote on him in 2012 was damning and seems not political from my point of view until clarified.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:41am On Jul 14, 2015
I love this man.
God bless the President.

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by patrickmuf(m): 5:41am On Jul 14, 2015
PMB is working, TANoids are wailing...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by jabojafa(m): 5:42am On Jul 14, 2015
okkk sir. Lets hope they live up to expectation of doing d job of eradicating bk boiz

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by omowolewa: 6:07am On Jul 14, 2015
Time will surely tell.
Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 14, 2015
That confirms their delay in appointment which was based on bypassing officers in hierarchy due to the ethnicity.

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Super1Star: 6:18am On Jul 14, 2015
God bless Mr President.

The meritocracy town criers are wailing because none of their kinsmen was named a service chief. Hypocrites.

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 14, 2015
Super1Star:
God bless Mr President.

The meritocracy town criers are wailing because none of their kinsmen was named a service chief. Hypocrites.

One of these days you will wake up in Arewastan and see your police replaced with the Hisbah Brigade, your courts and Judges replaced with Sharia Imans, etc.

Don't come wailing on our border when it happens because we will kick you back into your one Nijeriya.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:37am On Jul 14, 2015
Countries make progress when people are appointed on merit.

Everybody deserves to be given a chance. The new army chiefs have just about six months to make a huge difference (didn't say to end boko haram)

After then, Nigerians will start shouting and screaming again

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by pmc01(m): 6:37am On Jul 14, 2015
WombRaiders:

One of these days you will wake up in Arewastan and see your police replaced with the Hisbah Brigade, your courts and Judges replaced with Sharia Imans, etc.

Don't come wailing on our border when it happens because we will kick you back into your one Nijeriya.

You are a bitter low-lifer, always showing saddist tendencies in your comments. I hope you find respite soon.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 14, 2015
pmc01:

You are a bitter low-lifer, always showing saddist tendencies in your comments. I hope you find respite soon.

I don't expect you to reason with me because you are under a great delusion ordained by God.

You will be part of the Islamic State in West Africa whether you like it or not.

Any of you attempting to sneak into Warri by claiming Itsekiri will be summarily put on a rickety raft and set adrift into the Atlantic.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by pmc01(m): 6:52am On Jul 14, 2015
WombRaiders:

I don't expect you to reason with me because you are under a great delusion ordained by God.

You will be part if the Islamic State in West Africa whether you like it or not.

Any of you attempting to sneak into Warri by claiming Itsekiri will be summarily put on a rickety raft and set adrift into the Atlantic.

Ok, noted.
You didn't disappoint, as expected.

16 Likes

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 14, 2015
pmc01:

Ok, noted.
You didn't disappoint, as expected.

Before nko?

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by southsouthman: 8:02am On Jul 14, 2015
How did Monguno who killed DIA and treated and called BH members captured during his hey days our friends bought them food from eateries be made NSA on merit. Is the merit based on his knowledge of BH or he treated them while in position. PMB should stop this deciept.

Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 14, 2015
G
Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 14, 2015
Ok.
Re: I Chose New Service Chiefs On Merit, Says BUHARI by fulanimafia: 8:06am On Jul 14, 2015
By their fruits we shall know.

Police Detain Solomon Emmanuel Akuma For Criticising Buhari / Don’t Threaten Me With Strike, I Won’t Pay When You Resume – Wike Warns Doctors / IPOB Woman Collapses In Owerri Court. Rushed To Hospital. Photos