Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,638 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits (1106 Views)

1984 Photo Of Buhari About Bread Surfaces Online / Bisi Alimi Slams Senators Behind Anti Same Sex Bill (Photo) / Umar-Jibia's Letter To President-Elect Buhari About The Shiites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
FEARS are mounting that the US will force President
Muhammadu Buhari to scrap Nigeria's Draconian
Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act of 2014 when he
visits Washington on the 20th of this month.
President Buhari us due at the White House on July
20 where Nigeria and the US will hold a three-day
bilateral summit to discuss security, trade and a host
of other areas of cooperation. Having met President
Buhari at a G7 Summit in Germany last month,
President Obama invited him to Washington to work
on areas of mutual cooperation.
However, there are now fears that the US may insist
that Nigeria drop its fierce opposition to gay rights as
a condition for enhanced cooperation. On January 7
2014, President Goodluck Jonathan signed Nigeria's
Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Bill into law, which
makes being gay punishable with 14 years in jail.
Nigeria remains one of the most homophobic
countries in the world and since President Obama’s
invitation was announced, Nigerians have been
apprehensive that he could use the forum to prevail
on President Buhari to reverse Nigeria’s anti-gay
laws. These fears were confirmed yesterday by the
US assistant secretary of state for African affairs,
Linda Thomas-Greenfield, who stated that
Washington would continue to pressure Nigeria until
it legalises same-sex marriage.
Ms Thomas-Greenfield, who said the US had adopted
the protection of the rights of same-sex people as
part of its foreign policies, vowed that Washington
would continue to mount and sustain pressure on
Nigeria and other countries to reverse their laws
against the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
(LGBT) community. Since Nigeria passed her
Draconian bill into law, several other African
countries have followed suit.
“As a government, it is one of the highest priorities
and strongest values that discrimination against
anyone based on their sexual orientation and gender
identity is wrong. We believe human rights should be
available to everybody.
As a policy, we will continue to press the government
of Nigeria, as well as other governments who have
provided legislation that discriminate against the
LGBT community. This is very much a work in
progress but I think you will agree with me that the
law in Nigeria really went far in discriminating
against this community but also people who
associate with them," Ms Thomas-Greenfield added.
Ms Thomas-Greenfield, who did not agree that
pressuring Nigeria to reverse the anti-gay law
amounted to interference, said the country and
Uganda have the hardest legislation on the gay
community. She added that she was optimistic that
the US would win the fight to protect the LGBT
community.
"We will continue to press the government, to press
the legislature to change these laws and provide
human rights for all Nigerian people regardless of
their sexual orientation. With what is happening in
the US, you can determine how far we are willing to
go.
"We strongly believe human rights for all people and
we are particularly opposed to legislation that
actually targets the gay community for
discrimination. So, we are prepared to push this as a
policy, not just in Africa but across the world," Ms
Thomas-Greenfield added.
Like Nigeria, Gambia passed very Draconian gay
legislation last year and a law signed on October 9
2014 punishes some homosexual acts with a
maximum sentence of life imprisonment. On
February 24 last year, President Yoweri Museveni too
signed Uganda's new Draconian anti-gay legislation
into law, which makes being gay punishable with 14
years imprisonment.

Source: www.nigerianwatch.com/news/7357-us-to-pressurise-buhari-about-scrapping-nigerias-draconian-same-sex-bill-when-he-visits
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ellechrystal(f): 6:14pm On Jul 14, 2015
Ok na. Dealing with d US is like swallowing a whole Cow. U should first check ur Anus
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by Abba999(f): 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2015
undecided
Change is coming grin

Baba dey do nah. Just like Alhjia Atiku, them na "one" nah lipsrsealed ; about 75% of Hausa/Fulani are "auto-revise" when it comes to sex cheesy

This chanji is becoming exciting kiss
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by gabazin080(m): 6:17pm On Jul 14, 2015
Obama had better not draw the wrought of women. wen prick never reach them and him wan come still dey starve dem of it.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 6:17pm On Jul 14, 2015
ellechrystal:
Ok na. Dealing with d US is like swallowing a whole Cow. U should first check ur Anus
lol ur are very funny
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by maverickdude(m): 6:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
u cn only force a horse to d stream,u cnt force t to drink frm it.no mata ao much dey pressurize him,i believe he wont bulge unless all diz stories abt PMB ar false
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ellechrystal(f): 6:19pm On Jul 14, 2015
ylordy:
lol ur are very funny
Na true na. I dey lie?
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by gabazin080(m): 6:19pm On Jul 14, 2015
I think I will have to go into cucumber business because girls will soon start to need it as prick will soon be scarce
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
LOL... PMB to support same sex marriage? May be that's when U.S and Obama will truly know who they call PMB.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by Factism(m): 6:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ellechrystal(f): 6:22pm On Jul 14, 2015
maverickdude:
u cn only force a horse to d stream,u cnt force t to drink frm it.no mata ao much dey pressurize him,i believe he wont bulge unless all diz stories abt PMB ar false
D problem with us is that we trust even things as low as domestic Animals even wen we see them revolving around our food.

My dear, wait till he says no. Don't b quick to speak on his behalf. So even with all d drama our politicians r unleashing u still never learn not to trust them? ??. We may ve a shocker.
U ve no idea wat mouth watering promises they must ve dished out.
Speak for urself o
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2015
ellechrystal:

Na true na. I dey lie?
na true, I don't like the rate at which our president approaches the west they might end up influencing him to scrap or even legalise it.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by Brownhypo: 6:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
we no want same sex marriage.... na by force angry
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ellechrystal(f): 6:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
ylordy:
na true, I don't like the rate at which our president approaches the west they might end up influencing him to scrap or even legalise it.
They tried it my GEJ, he refused, they made sure his govt was dealt with. If Buhari says no. Ha na ya wa b that o. Cos he may end up being labelled d worst president in nigeria. These clowns r devil sent. Make him take time sha.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by maverickdude(m): 6:26pm On Jul 14, 2015
ellechrystal:

D problem with us is that we trust even things as low as domestic Animals even wen we see them revolving around our food.

My dear, wait till he says no. Don't b quick to speak on his behalf. So even with all d drama our politicians r unleashing u still never learn not to trust them? ??. We may ve a shocker.
U ve no idea wat mouth watering promises they must ve dished out.
Speak for urself o
hmmmm.tru talk...politicians wt der chameleon nature
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
gabazin080:
I think I will have to go into cucumber business because girls will soon start to need it as prick will soon be scarce
lol I think you should meet jasper7 for tutorial.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ellechrystal(f): 6:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
maverickdude:

hmmmm.tru talk...politicians wt der chameleon nature
They r snakes.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 6:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
ellechrystal:

They tried it my GEJ, he refused, they made sure his govt was dealt with. If Buhari says no. Ha na ya wa b that o. Cos he may end up being labelled d worst president in nigeria. These clowns r devil sent. Make him take time sha.
if only our country will learn to stay on their on and develop like japan did,I don't no where this mentality of if you are not connected to the west you will never be develop come from.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ellechrystal(f): 6:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
ylordy:
if only our country will learn to stay on their on and develop like japan did,I don't no where this mentality of if you are not connected to the west you will never be develop come from.
We d demons r happy u r not Dev so they can exploit u d more.
It's obvious we r still mental slaves to d West.
So if US is ur ally it means u r saved
We these guys openly Diss other nations. With their racism shit.i pity buhari wen Obama is out. Unfortunately it will b a white racist that will take over.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by gabazin080(m): 7:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
ylordy:
lol I think you should meet jasper7 for tutorial.
do you have his number
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by gabazin080(m): 7:24pm On Jul 14, 2015
someone should call the mods
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by baralatie(m): 7:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
Cucumber import business!
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 9:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
gabazin080:
do you have his number
ya!
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 9:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
gabazin080:
someone should call the mods
seun, cc:lalasticlala,airforce1,ishilove. Make una do the needful.
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by Danjuma827(m): 9:22pm On Jul 14, 2015
Buhari can't do that. Simply because the man is highly disciplined and he won't take any offer being offered to him.

said baba
Re: US To Pressurise Buhari About Scrapping Nigeria's Same Sex Bill When He Visits by ylordy(m): 9:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
Danjuma827:
Buhari can't do that. Simply because the man is highly disciplined and he won't take any offer being offered to him.

said baba
how sure are you.

(1) (Reply)

Dissolved Government Agencies And Patastatals / PDP Chieftain, Mr. Alala Osondu Assasinated In Rivers State / Pic: Trow-back Check Out Baraka Obama Pictures Ways Back In Hi-school

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.