Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? (5199 Views)

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / My Husbands Brother Is Breaking My Marriage / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by MrsMiller: 3:28pm On Aug 09, 2009
@ poster, u are complaining about adopting the name of a guy u say is very sweet and u plan to spend the rest of ur life with. If hubby is rely as sweet as u say he is then dont u think he is worth ur name change? And need I remind u that guys that gud are rely hard to come by and while u are busy trying to make up ur mind there are a lot of other women out there who will give both arms and legs 2 adopt his 3 names!!! wink
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by Divab(f): 11:44am On Aug 10, 2009
Hi poster,
Since u love ur father's name so much, why dont you marry yur daddy, seriously its no beal deal, its a take it or live it thing, whats in a name compared to being happy?
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by blackmann(m): 12:28pm On Aug 10, 2009
This is wat the western world has caused to our tradition. me thinks that this hyphenated names arouse from the fact that divorces are so paramount out here, they just drop the husband's name like a hot potato once the proceedings are complete(some don't even take the names at all, but continue with their maiden names even while married). sadly, our "modern-day" girls are embracing the same act. wat was once the pride of maidens, a priviledge to bear her husbands name, has been turned around by the western modernisation. so sad.
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by touchmeder: 12:39pm On Aug 10, 2009
Divab:

Hi poster,
Since u love ur father's name so much, why dont you marry yur daddy, seriously its no beal deal, its a take it or live it thing, whats in a name compared to being happy?

uhmnnnnnnnnnn why dont u go ahead and marry your own father. You sound sort of silly dont u think they are better ways to have made you point.

Mrs Miller:

@ poster, u are complaining about adopting the name of a guy u say is very sweet and u plan to spend the rest of ur life with. If hubby is rely as sweet as u say he is then dont u think he is worth ur name change? And need I remind u that guys that gud are rely hard to come by and while u are busy trying to make up ur mind there are a lot of other women out there who will give both arms and legs 2 adopt his 3 names!!! wink

Nor b lie sha
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by otokx(m): 6:34am On Aug 11, 2009
my wife will answer her original birth name; what is the magic in changing names anyway?
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by MadMax1(f): 9:12pm On Aug 11, 2009
It's no biggie. Afterall there was a time surnames didn't exist and people still got married.Heard of a guy who took his wife's name after marriage, to prove a point, or to be perverse. What's in a name?
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by Fhemmmy: 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2009
Nothing wrong.
So enjoy
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by cooljade(f): 11:38pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ POSTER, keep your desire and answer your father's name with your hubby's. He'll come to terms if he loves you. There are a million and one women doing that now, its a matter of keeping your own famil'y name going on too. Which kind wahala be this ,
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Aug 12, 2009
cooljade:

@ POSTER, keep your desire and answer your father's name with your hubby's. He'll come to terms if he loves you. There are a million and one women doing that now, its a matter of keeping your own famil'y name going on too. Which kind wahala be this ,

What is the point coming to term, tell her to tell the man, there are better things to worry about.
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by oyinda3(f): 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2009
U can keep ur maiden name through other ways like:
Keep using it at work
Bank and some other places where u've always been known by ur maiden name.
It's not compulsory u attach it to ur hubby's surname.

i agree with nana^
it's not compulsory that you change it really. Just keep it at work and for official purposes.
but answer to his last name whenever else (with his friends lol). I mean what is he going to do? divorce you?
look at it this way, you get to have two last names tongue

anyways, I want to keep my last name too but i don't know i might change my mind in the future.
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by amaikama(m): 5:51pm On Feb 16, 2010
@poster, pls, which part of naija are u or u are outskirt? if outskirt, kindly find out from ur generation where such things are practice and what is the consequences before u embark on self wreckage all in the name of civilization
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by bukatyne(f): 9:51pm On Mar 18, 2012
i ve gone thru d comments n it seems some people don't think dat a lady has her own personality, dreams, ambitions etc! d Bible says: 'can 2 walk together unless they be agreed?' Amos 3:3! some even said if she refuses to comply, a 1001 gals re waiting! wel, i won't like to think i m replaceable to d man i want to marry or am among d 1002 ladies he could choose! men do not do women a favour by marryin them. @OP: speak wit him in love n try to reason wit him. if he refuses to bulge, check for inner peace. if u have inner peace, go ahead but if not, patiently wait b'cos a broken courtship is better than a broken marriage! cheers! wish u al d best
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by ronkebp(f): 6:37pm On Mar 19, 2012
^^^^^ where will they see the 1001 gals to replace?? just a saying jare.
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by Ecalos: 8:17pm On Mar 20, 2012
Hey Poster, let me share something with you..Think about it deeply...

I jokingly asked my fiance if I could keep my maiden name when we get married and here was his reply:

"You can keep your maiden name as long as you allow me to not wear my wedding ring since I am not used to putting on rings"

Now for me, It is important to me that my future husband put on his wedding ring since its a sign of our commitment to each other. This does not mean that he wont go astray etc but the ring symbolizes the commitment we made to each other in the eyes of God and man.

For him, his future wife taking on his last name means a lot to him because it signifies unity in the eyes of God and man.

So here is my opinion on the issue, to take his last name or not solely depends on both of you. You both have every right to choose what works best for you. There is no law that says you have to take on your husband's name and just because its "tradition" does not mean tradition is right. Taking on your husband's name means different things to different people. So both of you need to sit down and discuss and reach a feasible compromise. Now if this means a lot to you such that you cant imagine taking on his name, then you might want to revisit the relationship and see if this is worth fighting for or not. It might seem a trivial issue but in all honesty thats how resentment and hatred breeds in later on. So both of you should sit down and thrash it out before walking down that aisle.
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by chyket(m): 8:53am On Mar 22, 2012
Just choose one man to be in your life ,either your dad or your husband to be.
If you feel your husband to be is not accomplished enough,then don't marry him every woman needs to marry a man that she really really looks up to
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 22, 2012
[b]
Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by sasimalia(f): 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2012
I really don't see the big deal. Taking the husband name especially on official documents came with westernization. Back in the days women kept their maiden names and were referred to as "maiden name, wife of X, daughter of Y". It was never a problem. It was important back then to understand and carry the story of lineages. None of the women, mothers, aunts around me have dropped their maiden names, they have kept it on official documents but they are always referred to as Mrs X by everyone. I myself, kept my name just the way it was, but I have added my hubby's last name to mine on any new documents I am filling out. I have a tone of documents, from degrees to certificates to administrative paperwork that I would have to get changed and I am not going through all of that. My hubby calls me by my father's name when he wants to make fun of me or teasing me. But everyone calls me by his name. So really, in dialy life, no big deal. There so many other important issues to worry about.

1 Like

Re: Whats Wrong With Answering My Father's Name Along With My Husbands? by Roland17(m): 4:44am On Mar 25, 2012
Everything is definitely wrong with answering your fathers name along side your husbands... angry angry angry it should not even be up for discussion...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Don't Some Women Wash Their Husband's Clothes? / A Man Secretly Had Sex With His Lover At Home, How His Wife Found Out Is Amazing / Need A Listening Ear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.