Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 (51275 Views)

How Ohafia People Were Saved From British Massacre In 1901 By The Brave Eke Kalu / Buhari Viewing The Aeromagnetic Map Of The Nickel Discovery (Pic) / Map Of Native Courts Of 1903 Showing Boundary Of Igbo Speaking People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImperialYoruba: 7:43pm On Nov 14, 2018
revolt:
very retrogressive form of reasoning. Remain small una for be mallams. If our ports for a start were operational om pretty sure a sizeable number of us wouldn't be outside eastern region. We really do not care about false population representation. Those are troviaall. We're more interested in commerce and profit.

Look at you. So what are you doing in North, seaport dey for Sokoto?

Oni sokuso!
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by revolt(m): 8:18pm On Nov 14, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Look at you. So what are you doing in North, seaport dey for Sokoto?

Oni sokuso!
ashiwere yi si Soro...hmm kosi wahala ooo
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImperialYoruba: 8:35pm On Nov 14, 2018
Efewestern:

Never disputed the fact about the itsekiri/yoruba relationship, But the fact on ground is that Deltans (Urhobo Isoko, itsekiri etc) still pay homage to the Bini throne, politically speaking the Bini's do not have much influence on the region, even during the Mid-western regional government, the Urhobos were politically ahead of every one in the region (That doesn't mean we are superior).

Now about the bolded, The Mid-western region was a small region with less than a thousand soldiers so they couldn't do much to stop the invading troops, but even at that they still showed some serious resistance before calling Lagos for assistance, I doubt similar situation can happen now.

Are you aware that the first non-Yoruba political movement to be created in Lagos, ahead of others, was by Urhobos?

That political movement, created somewhere early 40s, opened eyes of Edo leaders and gained momentum into what would lead to the referendum in 1963 of a MidWestern region.

I am cognisant of the political successes and how Urhobos shaped thoughts in the Midwest. Somehow that power was taken from you when Bendel was created and subsequently Edo.

History serves a purpose and howevrr long in the past it may be it will continue to inject itself into definitions around politics and culture. Look at Edo history and tell me if they can survive as a standalone political entity, a self-propagating and independent nation with zero alliances to any other. The answer is no! They must find alliances to attach to for greater political gains.

There is a reason Europe had an allied force and attached itself to America to counter the threat from Eastbloc. It paid off! Their traditions, monarchies, cultures...all intact and not disrupted by the instruments of their alliance.

I hate to accept this, even though it makes sense....an independent Edoland, and all its sub-lands will ultimately call to Yoruba to formulate an alliance of protection and political advancement. The very reason for which the 63 referendum was pushed to create Midwest will be reversed to rejoin Edo under an umbrella of a strong political (but relaxed cultural) affiliation, championed by Yoruba, particularly on the coast and towards river Niger.

The threat you face from an independent Biafra is less to that faced by the people in the COR region, nonetheless it is there and must not be dismissed.

Urhobos are more capable than any other of the Edoid groups to lead and champion a political mainstream for your people. You have demonstrated capability in that area many times before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImperialYoruba: 8:41pm On Nov 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

isoko was in eastern nigeria.

Goan read.

Even Asaba was not in Eastern Nigeria. So how can Isoko be in Eastern? Explain this.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImperialYoruba: 8:47pm On Nov 14, 2018
revolt:
ashiwere yi si Soro...hmm kosi wahala ooo

Im ready to send you and the remnant of your blood saved from massacre in war back to your genealogical root in Bantu forest. Its only a matter of time. Your destiny will soon land in front of you. Keep raising your head to a superior Imperial power....we shall crush and reconquer you!
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by revolt(m): 9:16pm On Nov 14, 2018
Hehe
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by revolt(m): 9:20pm On Nov 14, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Im ready to send you and the remnant of your blood saved from massacre in war back to your genealogical root in Bantu forest. Its only a matter of time. Your destiny will soon land in front of you. Keep raising your head to a superior Imperial power....we shall crush and reconquer you!
Awon osiro ti okan n wa lati?
See this pikin dey talk to elder. I will sell u in Eko. Mtchweee. se diedie oo
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Christistruth00: 9:39pm On Nov 14, 2018
Is it true that Lokoja is shared by 5 ethnic groups?
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 14, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Even Asaba was not in Eastern Nigeria. So how can Isoko be in Eastern? Explain this.

Initially there was nothing like mid western region in nigeria, It was North west and east. It was just a political creation which usually occurs in nigeria. This is the same way that SS came to existence. SS doesnt exist in geography

1 Like

Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImperialYoruba: 4:40am On Nov 15, 2018
Christistruth00:
Is it true that Lokoja is shared by 5 ethnic groups?

Hausa/Fulani is a settler in Lokoja.

Yoruba is one of the indigeneous of Lokoja.

2 Likes

Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImperialYoruba: 4:44am On Nov 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Initially there was nothing like mid western region in nigeria, It was North west and east. It was just a political creation which usually occurs in nigeria. This is the same way that SS came to existence. SS doesnt exist in geography

Western Region extended from boundary of Nigeria and Republic du Benin eastward till you arrive on river niger bank. Isoko and Asaba were in Western region, never in East. They left Western to exist as MidWest.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Iwillbegreat: 9:49am On Nov 15, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Are you aware that the first non-Yoruba political movement to be created in Lagos, ahead of others, was by Urhobos?

That political movement, created somewhere early 40s, opened eyes of Edo leaders and gained momentum into what would lead to the referendum in 1963 of a MidWestern region.

I am cognisant of the political successes and how Urhobos shaped thoughts in the Midwest. Somehow that power was taken from you when Bendel was created and subsequently Edo.

History serves a purpose and howevrr long in the past it may be it will continue to inject itself into definitions around politics and culture. Look at Edo history and tell me if they can survive as a standalone political entity, a self-propagating and independent nation with zero alliances to any other. The answer is no! They must find alliances to attach to for greater political gains.

There is a reason Europe had an allied force and attached itself to America to counter the threat from Eastbloc. It paid off! Their traditions, monarchies, cultures...all intact and not disrupted by the instruments of their alliance.

I hate to accept this, even though it makes sense....an independent Edoland, and all its sub-lands will ultimately call to Yoruba to formulate an alliance of protection and political advancement. The very reason for which the 63 referendum was pushed to create Midwest will be reversed to rejoin Edo under an umbrella of a strong political (but relaxed cultural) affiliation, championed by Yoruba, particularly on the coast and towards river Niger.

The threat you face from an independent Biafra is less to that faced by the people in the COR region, nonetheless it is there and must not be dismissed.

Urhobos are more capable than any other of the Edoid groups to lead and champion a political mainstream for your people. You have demonstrated capability in that area many times before.
shh The Edo won't join any forces with any Yoruba group.

If Nigeria do divide, the old Bendel will reclaim it's stance, we ain't going into that Niger delta nonsense.

Remember Bendel state is bigger than eastern states joined together
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 9:57am On Nov 15, 2018
Efewestern:

How can any reasonable person lump Isoko under Igbo, I don't want to even talk about ijaw, you leave Edo, leave Urhobo, it's Igbo you decided to group Isoko under, nothing we won't read on this forum.

If there is any group that will even want to lay claims to the ethnic groups occupying Delta State (Urhobo,isoko,Itsekiri etc) then it should be Bini.

I also see how you subconsciously fail to recognize Bini as an ethnic group, even when it is on record that they influenced both the present day Igbo and Yoruba, I'm not even pro-bini as I do have some clash with them once a while.

In all, Isoko is not Igbo, can't even be classified as igboid, I see no reason for such connectivity, you should be more concerned about your ikwerre brothers and Co, not some Edoid group you know nothing about.
you are not even pro bini.

Are you ready to form a country with us? wink
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 10:02am On Nov 15, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Bini is a ruling dynasty originating from Yoruba. Bini itself is not an ethnicity but the elites of the monarchy are ethnically Yoruba.

Edo is the ethnicity which owns the land occupied by Bini.

So Edo is ethnic, Bini is dynasty. The two have different ethnic origins.

Isoko, Urhobo are Edoid.

Itsekiri people are Ijebu origins. Their monarchy is of the Benin dynasty stock.
this Yoruba people don't know their history.

Even though Bini don't have a successor, the next royal family will claim the throne..

We didn't ask Yoruba people for a king, our king was there in Ife already, he sent his son which have half Yoruba blood and part Benin.

He was the first oba.

Stop spreading nonsense, if you want us to take you seriously, reclaim your own throne from the Fulani and put the afonja descendant first.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 10:16am On Nov 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Igbanke are Igbos and can never ever trace their origin to Bini.

Wen did Bini become a tribe or ethnic group

Wen did Edo become a tribe or ethnic group
chai education is not good oo..

When you hear of edo, what comes to your mind is Benin abi?

Just like how yorubas sons left Ile Ife to found new kingdom same with the igodomigo people.

The farer they are from the kingdom, the same way their language becomes different.

Bini is just one tribe, urhobo is another, isoko another, esan another, afemai another..

I heard an ijaw Man was from bini and was angry and left, I don't care they create their own country.

Edo nation is bigger than igbo. That's a fact.

You guys are landlocked. Small in size. And are disliked.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 10:27am On Nov 15, 2018
When I see ignorant people talk about south south,niger delta and Biafra nonsense I just laugh.

The only ethic group that can stand on their own are the yorubas and Edo.

Biafra need the ijaw or liked they say south south.

The Hausas, I don't even know about those ones.

Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 15, 2018
Donmedrac:
chai education is not good oo..

When you hear of edo, what comes to your mind is Benin abi?

Just like how yorubas sons left Ile Ife to found new kingdom same with the igodomigo people.

The farer they are from the kingdom, the same way their language becomes different.

Bini is just one tribe, urhobo is another, isoko another, esan another, afemai another..

I heard an ijaw Man was from bini and was angry and left, I don't care they create their own country.

Edo nation is bigger than igbo. That's a fact.

You guys are landlocked. Small in size. And are disliked.

The number 1 reason people dislike others is jealousy. Humans on average do not hate or dislike people who they are better than, That is why with all the hatred n dislike u people have shown the igbos, We still ignore u completely n do not respond.

Edo is a state in nigeria and even all the tribes that u listed as edo nation make up less than 25% of the igbo population in nigeria so dont even go thers, Upeople are pure minority in this country.

Define landlocked.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 15, 2018
This guy is having mental problem Oooo, Forming a Country, lmao. This is classic bipolar disorder.
Donmedrac:
you are not even pro bini.

Are you ready to form a country with us? wink
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 11:46am On Nov 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

The number 1 reason people dislike others is jealousy. Humans on average do not hate or dislike people who they are better than, That is why with all the hatred n dislike u people have shown the igbos, We still ignore u completely n do not respond.

Edo is a state in nigeria and even all the tribes that u listed as edo nation make up less than 25% of the igbo population in nigeria so dont even go thers, Upeople are pure minority in this country.

Define landlocked.
I don't even believe in Nigeria population nonsense.

To know the real figure,look at the population of those tribes before civil war.

Do igbos have access to sea?
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 11:47am On Nov 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:
This guy is having mental problem Oooo, Forming a Country, lmao. This is classic bipolar disorder.
smh, igbos are the only tribe agitating for Biafra.i am just looking at different scenarios
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 15, 2018
Donmedrac:
I don't even believe in Nigeria population nonsense.

To know the real figure,look at the population of those tribes before civil war.

Do igbos have access to sea?

I don't care weda u believe the Nigerian population, facts that all Edo bini isoko n ishekiri na minority where igbos dey.

Pls stop wasting time, define landlocked.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 15, 2018
Donmedrac:
smh, igbos are the only tribe agitating for Biafra.i am just looking at different scenarios

Other tribes love Nigeria.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 4:03pm On Nov 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

I don't care weda u believe the Nigerian population, facts that all Edo bini isoko n ishekiri na minority where igbos dey.

Pls stop wasting time, define landlocked.
do you have access to sea?
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImperialYoruba: 4:18pm On Nov 15, 2018
Donmedrac:
this Yoruba people don't know their history.

Even though Bini don't have a successor, the next royal family will claim the throne..

We didn't ask Yoruba people for a king, our king was there in Ife already, he sent his son which have half Yoruba blood and part Benin.

He was the first oba.

Stop spreading nonsense, if you want us to take you seriously, reclaim your own throne from the Fulani and put the afonja descendant first.

How did your king get to Ife from Edo?
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Donmedrac: 4:21pm On Nov 15, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

How did your king get to Ife from Edo?
how did oduduwa get to Ife?
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Sinistami(m): 7:45pm On Nov 15, 2018
YorubaFynest:

In brotherhood ko in Nollywood ni. Keep lying to yourself. Nigeria is not united now and it will never be.

Yorubaland, the most peaceful Islamic and Christian region in Nigeria, the most progressive region in the South, the most democratic African tribe, the most accommodating (foolishly) people in Nigeria.

We have nothing in common with extremist in the south and hostile people in the East.

Heediot! That's all what I'll say about you. Cause you don't deserve a sensible argument!
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Sinistami(m): 7:54pm On Nov 15, 2018
Sharpshooota:

Well done... We need more almajiris to man our Gates
Savage ASF

Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Favor99(m): 10:35pm On Nov 15, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Stop trying to cause division between The Edoid peoples. You are mischievously spreading hate and division.
I see your mischievous tactics
Urhobos and Edo are brothers, we all originate from Benin City. In fact Nigerians as a whole especially in southern Nigeria are a close family
and are related.
I know your agendas are wicked, and are to spread hate and discord
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Favor99(m): 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

The safe way out of that is not to even put Yoruba and Edo together in any post and avoid any hint that Bini is Edo. We are not same people with Edo, they have their own separate and unique identity. Bini's umbilical is tied to Ife.

Itsekiri, whether Ijebu or Ilaje is entirely Yoruba origin.

Edo has its own grouping and their originality has not been lost. Recently Ijaw has attempted to change that originality. If care is not taken they will succeed because Edo is deeply focused on the wrong thing. Edo leaders are stuck in a past that has lost relevance in modern world. I will use a case in Yorubaland to give you example.

No person becomes governor in Yorubaland without first seeking and obtaining endorsement from crowned Obas in his state. Once he becomes governor no prince is crowned an Oba in his state unless he authorizes the staff of office be given to the choosen prince. In Oyo, this relationship existed between the paramount Alaafin and the Esos. Nobody authorized staff for Alaafin, its his birthright. Times have changed. Alaafin was overheard sometime ago advising Oluwo about this change in power and telling him that the governor can sign a paper and depose him (Alaafin), much more a lower Oba like Oluwo. This is recognition and an acknowledgement of the times we live in.

Do you know how many Emirs are under the command of the Sultan? His domain span into Niger. Abacha deposed a sitting Sultan and then had him exiled like criminal back to his mothers home in Adamawa state.

All monarchies in Africa are no longer seats of absolute power, they are only ceremonial relics of culture.

Edo leaders have not come to grips with this reality yet. They are loosing political realities to conservatism and preservation of relics. They should accept reality of modern times and get their politics together fast. Biafra will become reality, it might not be in this administration or next, or one after it....but Ibos will eventually get their way and become independent. When it happens, Edoland will be tested. This is time to get the boundary right and enforse it so you are not caught unprepared.

They tested Edo once, in 1967. They will attempt again when they successfully have a sovereingty.
Istekiri's are mainly Edo, they are mixed with Yorubas, They have more Edo culture.
They do speak a Yoruboid language but are more Edo

Have you seen the work Obaseki has been doing for the state. What do you mean the leaders don't have their priorities straight?

Edophobic people all throughout nairaland
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Nobody: 11:45pm On Nov 15, 2018
Donmedrac:
do you have access to sea?
gringrin.
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by ImaIma1(f): 2:51am On Nov 16, 2018
Efewestern:

How can any reasonable person lump Isoko under Igbo, I don't want to even talk about ijaw, you leave Edo, leave Urhobo, it's Igbo you decided to group Isoko under, nothing we won't read on this forum.

If there is any group that will even want to lay claims to the ethnic groups occupying Delta State (Urhobo,isoko,Itsekiri etc) then it should be Bini.

I also see how you subconsciously fail to recognize Bini as an ethnic group, even when it is on record that they influenced both the present day Igbo and Yoruba, I'm not even pro-bini as I do have some clash with them once a while.

In all, Isoko is not Igbo, can't even be classified as igboid, I see no reason for such connectivity, you should be more concerned about your ikwerre brothers and Co, not some Edoid group you know nothing about.

If you check it, you will see that the person you quoted is Yoruba. I am tired to trying to explain to my Yoruba brothers and sisters that Akwaibomites are not igbos. They don't get it
Re: Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 by Efewestern: 9:11am On Nov 16, 2018
Favor99:

Istekiri's are mainly Edo, they are mixed with Yorubas, They have more Edo culture.
They do speak a Yoruboid language but are more Edo

Culturally, the itsekiris are more Edo than Yoruba, but linguistically and otherwise the itsekiris are more Yoruba than Edo, the itsekiris are more closer to the South Eastern Yoruba groups such as Ilaje, Ijebu and Ikale than they're to other Yoruba groups, may I also note that the itsekiris unlike their Urhobo/Isoko cousins who traces their origin to Bini migrated from various places such as Ijebu, Ilaje, Igala etc but adopted a Bini prince.

In all, Delta as a whole is culturally Edo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Statues Of African Presidents Erected By Okorocha In Imo. Photos / "I Will Miss You, But We'll Meet On The Streets Of Abuja — Dino Mocks Akpabio / Buhari Constitutes Economic Team: Charles Soludo, Others Get New Appointments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.