Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. (3392 Views)

Nairalanders - Complete The Naija Lyrics. . .(non Rap) / 5 Albums That Changed The Naija R&b Scene / I Just Released 5 Albums Online! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by julian21(f): 11:45am On Mar 10, 2009
5 ALBUMS THAT CHANGED THE NAIJA RAP SCENE.

1.PYRATED COPY-2shotz
Before the release of this album,everyone was trying to get signed to a record label.no one knew how to be independent until 2shotz showed them the way.he teamed up with biglo to create the infectious hit single "delicious" & then made his way to alaba and sealed the deal with Tjoe thus paving the way for every artist after him.now everyone wants to be independent and no one wants to be on a label where you will be getting ripped off by your boss.talk of total control.

2.THY ALBUM COME-Ruggedman
Ruggedman popularised dissing in Nigeria and also sanitised the naija rap game.previously there were a lot of wack artists out there claiming to be rappers until the rugged one dropped "Thy album come"which featured songs like "ehen pt 1 & peace or war" where he took the bull by the horn and addressed the sorry state of the rap industry without caring whose ox was gored.going head to head with the pillars of the industry back then and putting his career on the line is the stuff legends are made of.now nobody wants to jump on a track and start spitting rubbish cos someone might be watching.

3.P.A.S.S-Eedris Abdulkareem
This album was a monumental landmark in the history of naija rap.at a time when hip hop music was sacrilegous and genres like apala,fuji,reggae & afrobeat had the game in a chokehold,Eedris did the impossible and kickstarted the hip hop movement."Oko ashewo" the first single from the album was a monster hit and thus started the reign of hip hop/rap in nigeria.

4.THE BIG PICTURE-Da Trybe
The best rap collective to ever come out of nigeria.this album actually showed us the future of Nigerian rap.it was from this album the rap careers of 2shotz,sasha,timi & the solo careers of eldee & freestyle took off.propelled by the hit single "oya".this album went on to become the most successful rap album by a group in Nigeria.most of the members of this group have become the core/backbone of the Naija rap movement.

5.L.A.G STYLE-Trybesmen
Trybesmen are to naija rap what plantashun boiz are to naija r&b.Without these guys,your favorite rappers would still be trying so hard to rap like hov,nas,big or pac.with this album they laid down the blueprint for rapping in pidgin and making a success of it.to cut a long story short these are the pioneers of afro hip hop or whatever you decide to call it.

from www.9jahiphop.blospot.com
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by Dotman01(m): 12:58pm On Mar 10, 2009
U 4got to add m.i's talk about it. He introduce soft nd intrestin rappin. b4 our artistes were all wanna be shoutin lyk dmx.
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by tboy1(m): 1:19pm On Mar 10, 2009

Naeto c's album is not on the List
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by nxchanger: 3:55pm On Mar 10, 2009
Who knows Naeto C Then,
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 10, 2009
Na true you talk.

Me too no know Naeto C. then.
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by audio: 10:03pm On Mar 10, 2009
Emphasis EP Big Deal, is not on the list either. Were talking about Nigeria's first ever hiphop group, EVER. For my money, if anyone paved the way, they did. They showed that pidgin rap could be popular and commercially viable. They laid down the original Blue Print. Even RuggedMan sites them as an influence.

1 Like

Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by BajaGold(m): 10:20am On Mar 11, 2009
O'boy I for add Junior and Pretty put for the list. . .

Maybe you should just make the list [i]top ten, [/i]cos all the albums you mentioned as well influenced the rap game.
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by badman(m): 10:22am On Mar 11, 2009
Lord of ajasa - its too much
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by BajaGold(m): 10:25am On Mar 11, 2009
badman:

Lord of ajasa - its too much

But Why. . . .?
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by badman(m): 1:20pm On Mar 11, 2009
Unlike other artist then, ajasa brought spice into yoruba rap now u feel the vibes wit likes of dagrin

back in the days with the OTIYA track,
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by chrisical(m): 12:02pm On Mar 12, 2009
julian 21:

5 ALBUMS THAT CHANGED THE NAIJA RAP SCENE.

1.PYRATED COPY-2shotz
Before the release of this album,everyone was trying to get signed to a record label.no one knew how to be independent until 2shotz showed them the way.he teamed up with biglo to create the infectious hit single "delicious" & then made his way to alaba and sealed the deal with Tjoe thus paving the way for every artist after him.now everyone wants to be independent and no one wants to be on a label where you will be getting ripped off by your boss.talk of total control.

2.THY ALBUM COME-Ruggedman
Ruggedman popularised dissing in Nigeria and also sanitised the naija rap game.previously there were a lot of wack artists out there claiming to be rappers until the rugged one dropped "Thy album come"which featured songs like "ehen pt 1 & peace or war" where he took the bull by the horn and addressed the sorry state of the rap industry without caring whose ox was gored.going head to head with the pillars of the industry back then and putting his career on the line is the stuff legends are made of.now nobody wants to jump on a track and start spitting rubbish cos someone might be watching.

3.P.A.S.S-Eedris Abdulkareem
This album was a monumental landmark in the history of naija rap.at a time when hip hop music was sacrilegous and genres like apala,fuji,reggae & afrobeat had the game in a chokehold,Eedris did the impossible and kickstarted the hip hop movement."Oko ashewo" the first single from the album was a monster hit and thus started the reign of hip hop/rap in nigeria.

4.THE BIG PICTURE-Da Trybe
The best rap collective to ever come out of nigeria.this album actually showed us the future of Nigerian rap.it was from this album the rap careers of 2shotz,sasha,timi & the solo careers of eldee & freestyle took off.propelled by the hit single "oya".this album went on to become the most successful rap album by a group in Nigeria.most of the members of this group have become the core/backbone of the Naija rap movement.

5.L.A.G STYLE-Trybesmen
Trybesmen are to naija rap what plantashun boiz are to naija r&b.Without these guys,your favorite rappers would still be trying so hard to rap like hov,nas,big or pac.with this album they laid down the blueprint for rapping in pidgin and making a success of it.to cut a long story short these are the pioneers of afro hip hop or whatever you decide to call it.

from www.9jahiphop.blospot.com
Exactly
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by ajayi1(m): 12:15pm On Mar 12, 2009
i dey feel u guys
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by ajekpaks(m): 4:19pm On Mar 12, 2009
U see, all this people wey una dey call na ajebutter songs them

For ghetto na songs like Junglist (the group that had oritse femi), Na them change rap for ghettto
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by lagoslag: 1:51am On Mar 13, 2009
Where's Zaki? pretty and junior?
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by dammiecool(m): 9:29am On Mar 13, 2009
God bless Rugged Man,2 short,Pretty n Junior,Trybes men n Da trybe.
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by coolguyz(m): 12:17pm On Mar 13, 2009
i think we talking albums that changed the naija rap scene and not HIT albums,

i stick with the posters list xcept for the one -

rather than Eedris - PASS, i believe Remedies - Keep On Rocking should replace that. Eedris solo effort in P.A.S.S. was a hit song that ruled the airwaves after the naija RAP scene had been changed but as a group, their debut album was the first fussion of RAP + HIP-HOP + RnB element album dt changed music appetite then which is now the genre nowadays.
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by elbulk(m): 11:20am On Mar 23, 2009
www.dareyonline.com Men chech out Darey,s (dare art alade) blog, plus his long awaitd album in about to drop
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by jeff101: 11:36am On Apr 01, 2009
on point,great post
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by cashful(m): 9:43pm On Sep 27, 2009
without JUNIOR N PRETTY your list is incomplete, for me they should be the first, because back then 'wetin be rap music' songs like MONICA, BOLANLE where hits
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by audio: 10:33am On Sep 28, 2009
This is the definitive article on this topic. Don't sleep on it.
http://www.africanhiphop.com/africanhiphopradio/naija-nigerian-80s-rap-on-vinyl/
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by BabaEleko(m): 3:48am On Aug 21, 2013
audio: This is the definitive article on this topic. Don't sleep on it.
http://www.africanhiphop.com/africanhiphopradio/naija-nigerian-80s-rap-on-vinyl/

I found this article 2 days ago and it changed my previous knowledge of naija rap. Can u imagine doz dope funky issh coming out of naija then. I plan to sample a lot of those records.
Re: 5 Albums That Changed The Naija Rap Scene. by mindtricks: 8:30am On Aug 22, 2013
. . .and the ever hardstanced M9.

(1) (Reply)

Terry G - Fuji Swag! Feel The New Single! (download Here) / Mr P (psquare) For My Head Free Mp3 and Mp4 Download / DOWNLOAD: Stefflon Don - Can't Let You Go • Mp3 •

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.