Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,673 members, 7,820,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December (4507 Views)

Kaduna Refinery resumes production in December - NNPC / Niger Delta Amnesty Due To End In December- Buhari / Abuja-kaduna Rail Line Will Be Completed And Handed Over In December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by moneygurl: 12:02pm On Mar 10, 2009
At long last, the long awaited relocation of the Otigba Computer Village in Ikeja, Lagos State, is to begin in December this year. The movement will be in phases and will take several months said Sunday Ogunfolaji, Social Secretary of the Computers And Allied Products Dealers Association of Nigeria (CAPDAN).

The computers and peripherals market is relocating to a new site in Gatankowa, in Agbado Oke Local Council Development Area, LCDA, in Alimosho Local Government Area (LGA) along the Lagos-Abeokuta Express Road,
This is in line with Lagos State Government's policy to remove all markets from residential areas to more spacious and conducive sites.

Babatunde Fashola, Governor of the State, gave the approval for the relocation after reaching an agreement with members of the Computers and Allied Products Dealers of Nigeria (CAPDAN). Ogunfolaji, who spoke with BusinessDay, confirmed that a new site had been allocated to the Computer Village and in the next two weeks machinery would be set in motion to begin construction at the new site. He stated that while the shop owners would be moved to Gatankowa, the street traders are to be relocated to Onilekere.

This was the decision reached between CAPDAN, the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS) and the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA). He noted that the certificate of occupancy (C of O), of the land had already been acquired by members of CAPDAN. He said: "Under a Public Private Partnership (PPP), we intend to build almost 5000 offices and shops at the new site which will be called 'ICT Enterprise Zone'. Presently, there are between 2, 000 to 2, 500 offices and shops in the Computer Village. With an average of about three persons to one office, the number of traders in the computer village would be at about 7, 000 persons. So the new site has excess capacity".

The issue about people who do not have shops is over because we are also building 26 warehouses which have enough capacity to hold the consignment of three trailers at a time." He further added that two of the warehouses would be strictly dedicated to the street traders so that they do not constitute a nuisance in the new site as is the case at Ikeja Computer Village. With over seven banks within the village, BusinessDay learnt that the bank headquarters are already aware of the relocation and have all indicated interest to build in the new site. The Ikeja Computer Village has remained the largest single market for computers and allied products in Nigeria. Some say it is the largest such market in West-Africa. It enjoys huge patronage from Lagosians, residents of others states across the country as well as neighbouring West African nations like Benin Republic, Ghana, among others.

While formal market figures for computer sales in Nigeria are put at between 250,000 and 300,000 desktops and laptops yearly, it is estimated that for every computer sold in the formal market, 15 are sold in the informal market here. That would put informal market figures at about 3.7 million. Industry watchers say well over half of the informal market business is done in the Ikeja Computer Village.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by MrCrackles(m): 12:09pm On Mar 10, 2009
Where the hell is Alimosho?

I thought Ikeja is central and that is crucial to the survival of business hub
?!
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by HERO111: 12:16pm On Mar 10, 2009
Good arrangement,
but me i no know alimosho o shocked
Which side of lagos be dat sef?
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by desgiezd(m): 12:19pm On Mar 10, 2009
Gatankowa is very close to the popular Iyana Ipaja bus stop on the way to Otta, it is also close to a place called Abule Egba. A major challenge people may face here would be that of traffic.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by Fhemmmy: 12:45pm On Mar 10, 2009
I think it is a very bad idea.
Business needs a central location and Ikeja offers that.
Transportation within Lagos is not yet to the best, so how will people be able to go from VI to abule egba area to buy some NIC for their computer and be able to get back to the office?
I think if they wanna relocate, they could do that within Ikeja area but in a better development.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by webprince(m): 12:51pm On Mar 10, 2009
Wow! d new place will be bad 4 business as well as consumers also, not 2 talk of traffic congestion in dat area. Ikeja is still d best location, but where in Ikeja. they shuld sanitize d current computer village jare!
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by tatooboy: 1:00pm On Mar 10, 2009
Great idea. That computer village has become armed robbers den. I imagine instances when people lose their phones and they are told to go and repurchase the phone in computer village. What rubbish?

That place is called Katangowa, Its a place popularly known for selling fairly used clothes on the Lagos-Abeokuta exp. way axis. Precisely before Abule Egba bus stop.

I hope this helps somebody.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by alex406(m): 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2009
tatooboy:

Great idea. That computer village has become armed robbers den. I imagine instances when people lose their phones and they are told to go and repurchase the phone in computer village. What rubbish?

That place is called Katangowa, Its a place popularly known for selling fairly used clothes on the Lagos-Abeokuta exp. way axis. Precisely before Abule Egba bus stop.

I hope this helps somebody.
Story! are you saying the same incident will not happen if they relocate to Alimosho?Use ya head bro.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by twinskenny(m): 1:23pm On Mar 10, 2009
wow, that is CRIMINAL haven!
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by webprince(m): 1:57pm On Mar 10, 2009
alex406:

Story! are you saying the same incident will not happen if they relocate to Alimosho?Use ya head bro.
I wonder o!
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by mustafar1: 2:17pm On Mar 10, 2009
you cannot bake your cake and fry it too.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by DisGuy: 2:23pm On Mar 10, 2009
is Ikeja a residential area?
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by candylips(m): 2:24pm On Mar 10, 2009
Its a good move. Its about time lagos gov create business districts all over the state. You just can't have Ikeja and V/I as the only major biz districts. Thats a single point of failure. We need to develop all other parts of the states and i think that is what is being done here
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by DisGuy: 2:26pm On Mar 10, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I think it is a very bad idea.
Business needs a central location and Ikeja offers that.
Transportation within Lagos is not yet to the best, so how will people be able to go from VI to abule egba area to buy some NIC for their computer and be able to get back to the office?
I think if they wanna relocate, they could do that within Ikeja area but in a better development.

officer workers  buy computer stationary by themselves? during office hours?  undecided
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by allboyz(m): 2:35pm On Mar 10, 2009
Dis Guy:

is Ikeja a residential area?

YES . . its was meant to be anyways , .

@Topic . . its a good idea.

the distance BTW Kantogora and Otigba is not more than 15mins drive (without hold up) . . .the trafic will be the only problem.

besides,the Kantogora is very big and spacious. . . .
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by Keegan: 3:01pm On Mar 10, 2009
It's a welcome development. The wise should start earnestly to strategize ways of moving ahead.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by abhosts(m): 3:18pm On Mar 10, 2009
May God bless Fashola. Nigeria would be better served if we had people of great intellectual vigor, like Fashola Scattered all over the country.

An area like otigba that is suppose to house highbrow homes and offices was gradually beginning to take the shape of mushin.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by allboyz(m): 3:54pm On Mar 10, 2009
abhosts:

May God bless Fashola. Nigeria would be better served if we had people of great intellectual vigor, like Fashola Scattered all over the country.

An area like otigba that is suppose to house highbrow homes and offices was gradually beginning to take the shape of mushin.

Gbam!!! wink
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by nxchanger: 4:04pm On Mar 10, 2009
let see if they really move
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by chukxy44(m): 4:13pm On Mar 10, 2009
if this happens then i would have to kiss computer village good bye. cose the distance is out of it for me, any way sha lets bussiness rotate round Lagos, may be we might soon move the big V.I, Ikoyi and CMS building to other areas for the sake of fairness and equity cose they are causing a lot of nusiance as well.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by shilees(f): 4:28pm On Mar 10, 2009
Is a good plan sha, but i dnt tink dat will reduce stealing within d market, no b d same ppl dey go kAnTo, ? whether they move to oyingbo or ilasa so far I will still see computer parts to buy @ a gud price wink Eko o ni baje o!
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by tatooboy: 4:40pm On Mar 10, 2009
[/quote][quote author=alex406 link=topic=245527.msg3571906#msg3571906 date=1236686986]

There are times i wonder what kind of people are on NL. People talk/write and dont think before they do that. If the government is trying to put proper structure to something, does it not suggest that they would try and take away bottle necks that are prevalent in the current system, if not 100%, at least they would try to ensure that lives and properties are better protected.

So, you poster are you also suggesting that the status quo in computer village would happen in the new location? Please you this small boys on NL, please always think before you write your posts abeg.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 10, 2009
grin Funny!!! The deal has been struck, what d use of these further comment! C of O has been signed amongst other agreements, so we cant bring them back hence d need for comments should be on Advantages an Disadvantages ,of d former Comp. Village, share yo experiences amongs goodwills and BiD farewell to d comuter vilace grin (C.V), at ikeja.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by DoubleN(m): 5:16pm On Mar 10, 2009
So it actually going to happen?Men that new site is incredibly far from the main business hubs of lagos,it is really going to affect the way businesses used to run.For example i stay in Surulere and could dash to Ikeja buy a part and still rush to the Island for some serious business but now i doubt that will ever be possible.We just have to hope for the best.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by DoubleN(m): 5:19pm On Mar 10, 2009
So it actually going to happen?Men that new site is incredibly far from the main business hubs of lagos,it is really going to affect the way businesses used to run.For example i stay in Surulere and could dash to Ikeja buy a part and still rush to the Island for some serious business but now i doubt that will ever be possible.We just have to hope for the best.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by DisGuy: 6:12pm On Mar 10, 2009
Double N:

See the innovative ones amongst them will introduce online order or office catalogues so you can just view what you want and get it delivered to you at home or in the office-saving you time and money!

embrace change people! cool
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by Fhemmmy: 6:19pm On Mar 10, 2009
Dis Guy:

See the innovative ones amongst them will introduce online order or office catalogues so you can just view what you want and get it delivered to you at home or in the office-saving you time and money!

embrace change people! cool

That will be great, however, what is delivery time gonna be like when the road is terrible?
But i think uh ave a point, but mind you only those that has internet connections could order online, and not all business has credit card to order online, except we now have e-cheques in Nigeria, and if we do, then, we are steps closer, also, not all that wanna buy IT accessories realy knows what they want, till they see am face to face.
But this could be a start like u said
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 10, 2009
Iif they relocate over there, PC village is dead. that place is too far out of the way for most people. back in the day, i'd take a bus to oshodi, from oshodi a bus to ikeja, in 45 mins i'd be at pc village. thee were eateries to relax at after shopping. straight bus to mile 2.equally important, the buses were not too razz. those iyana paja buses, no be coasters where you share seat with women carrying vegetables? no can do. bad idea imho.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by DisGuy: 7:10pm On Mar 10, 2009
banks will be taking up spaces in the new market and eateries follow market wink
computer village will only die if there are better alternative or other mini ICT markets around
Lakeside shopping complex, bluewater shopping centres and some otehrs are on the outskirt of london
but they still pull in customers from faraway. As long as their is demand people will seek products and services

I think the blr* bus is being extended to Alimosho wink
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by Nobody: 7:15pm On Mar 10, 2009
Lol @oyb
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by davidif: 7:37pm On Mar 10, 2009
CANDYLIPS, i see that you have the black box formula, but are you a "QUANT"? holla at me son.
Re: Fashola, Computer Village Reach Agreement- To Move In December by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 10, 2009
Guys, the deal is done. The wise will continue to think on how they will rip from this move. So, I charge to start strategizing now!

(1) (2) (Reply)

(video) Boko Haram Leader, Declares War On Jonathan And Nigerian / How Goodluck Will Win. Fear Not Gejites / Bauchi Sets Up Panel To Probe 10,000 Ghost Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.