Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,687 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. (14216 Views)

Photo: The Man Who Suggested The Name "BIAFRA" / The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: / What Exactly Are We Fighting For In The Name BIAFRA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Orjioorji(f): 10:44pm On Jul 20, 2015
Asiri1991:
No. EBSU has it.
The great gbosaaa, Representing the GALAXY.
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 20, 2015
Ababadada:
Ijaws is Biafra, Igbo is Biafra Yoruba please leave us alone!

We igbo's know where the name biafra came from. Please relax
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Cossybob(m): 11:08pm On Jul 20, 2015
Whatever the meaning is, I'm proud grin
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Duru1(m): 11:14pm On Jul 20, 2015
Eziachi:
Ok, let's agree to disagree. I should know as not only that I was around at the time but my father was a member of the assembly and special assistant to Ojukwu through out the war as a major.

Please leave personal issues out of this discussion. Do you know if my father was a regional minister in eastern region?
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by betty202020(m): 11:27pm On Jul 20, 2015
Eziachi:
The word Biafra is a geographical term that has existed well before the formation of Nigeria.
Just like the geographical terms like gulf of Guinea or gulf of Mexico, so too is the Bight of Biafra.
After the civil war Nigeria authorities renamed the term as the Bight of Bonny.
Biafra as the name for independent state was first suggested by Chief Kemte Giadom (an Ijaw man) on the floor of the old Eastern Regional Assembly. It was debated and was overwhelmingly adopted and was recommended to the executive that adopted it. Not Ojukwu's idea as many are meant to believe.
Eziachi nwannem kedu maka orlu? I bu onye umuduruaku ka obu umuoba?
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Bollove: 2:26am On Jul 21, 2015
Ababadada:
What is the meaning of Nigeria?
Area of River Niger.
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Eziachi: 10:40am On Aug 06, 2015
betty202020:
Eziachi nwannem kedu maka orlu? I bu onye umuduruaku ka obu umuoba?
Am neither. Am not from Eziachi, but rather my best friend at Bishop Shanahan college in those days was. Their home then was opposite to the current mobile police barracks in Eziachi. It use to be Biafra military base during the war. I don't know what kindred of Eziachi that part is. Regards.
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Eziachi: 10:42am On Aug 06, 2015
Duru1:

Please leave personal issues out of this discussion. Do you know if my father was a regional minister in eastern region?
Do you understand the phrase " let's agree to disagree?" Of course, your father could. Don't create a conflict, where there is non at all.
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by Chiaka(f): 12:13pm On Aug 06, 2015
Who cares its just a name!
Re: How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. by betty202020(m): 12:30pm On Aug 06, 2015
Eziachi:
Am neither. Am not from Eziachi, but rather my best friend at Bishop Shanahan college in those days was. Their home then was opposite to the current mobile police barracks in Eziachi. It use to be Biafra military base during the war. I don't know what kindred of Eziachi that part is. Regards.
u are right. i schooled in that military base. that place is umuoba.

(1) (2) (Reply)

People Above 70 Should Not Seek Elective Positions - Peter Obi (Throwback video) / I Have Built 1000 Projects In Five Years- Okorocha / "Governor Abiodun Keeps Making ’Empty’ Promises To Us", Ogun Workers Lament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.