Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Music Business 101: - Music Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music Business / Music Business 101: (1057 Views)

Music Business! / Music Business Agency:need A Job?as An Artistes/songwriters/instrumentalist/prod / How Does Music Business Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Music Business 101: by brandedben(m): 4:30pm On Mar 10, 2009
The Business of Music

Anyone with a few bucks can go into a recording studio and come out with enough material to release a CD on an unsuspecting world. And that is precisely the point. You've recorded a record, so what? Everybody and their sister can rent studio time. Isn't there a bigger question? What do you intend to do with it?

Making music and making a living from your music is not the same thing. When it comes to getting your music into the marketplace, you have entered the domain of Music Business Economics 101, and the first lesson is:
The Supply of Existing Marketable Music Is Greater Than Any Demand For New and Unknown Music.

You have to make people aware of your music, and You have to create the demand for it, by getting the attention of the various gatekeepers in the record business and in the media who control the access areas for exposing new music (the record labels, distributors, stores, and live venues, as well as radio, TV, and the print media). No one is sitting at home waiting for you to release your music.

By saying all this, I presume that the intention behind recording your music was the intention to get your music in the hands of the record-buying public. Well, do you have the contacts and funds to properly distribute, promote, publicize, and perform that music? So many artists and bands go through the expense of recording and manufacturing their music only to find out they didn't save any money for the marketing end of things.

There are two music worlds. There is the world of pure music, which involves the creative side of things, songwriting. Rehearsing, and performing, and there is another world which must come into play IF you truly want people to hear your music, the Music Business.

Even the utterance of these words turns many people off. There is something potentially offensive about music becoming a commodity. It smacks of 'sellout', or a betrayal of sorts. But I feel strongly that there is a way to merge these two worlds, to not sell out, and to honor the way the business of music is conducted.

For starters, keep control of your music for as long as possible. The point is that so many artist these days talk about "getting signed", and I have even overheard conversations to the effect that artist say they are forming in order to "get signed" by some label. Musicians that are concerned about money before they even know anything about the business of music are doomed to eternal unhappiness and frustration. Talk about a cart coming before a horse.

Music should always come first, followed close behind by simply asking oneself some simple music business questions, such as:
copyright?
* What is a
* What do publishers do?
* What happens when you do sign with a record label?
* Why do labels pay the royalties they do pay?
* What is a royalty?

These are good beginning questions to ask when the urge to record and manufacture a record comes to mind. But let's ask a few more questions that take a quick inventory of some considerations about getting your music to the people. (By the way, I won't answer all these questions for you in this particular article. My hopes are that by making you aware of some basic issues you will take the initiative to learn as much as you can about the music business.)

If my attitude seems to be one that the odds are against you, and so why even bother trying to make a living from your music, you are getting the wrong idea. Through years of teaching musicians the business of music, my only concern is to be honest about the odds. Once we know what it really takes to compete in the music industry, we can at least look at the realities we must face, and decide if we want to fight the good fight, or simply go back to having our music be an enjoyable hobby. To help you get a feel for what all must be done, let's keep asking a few more questions.

So here we go:

* How should the artwork for the CD be designed?
* What information should be on the product?
* Should I sell my music at live shows?
* Should I consign my CD's to local stores?
* What do Distributors want from me in order to carry my music?
* What price do I sell my CD's for?
* Will radio play my Indy record?
* How does commercial radio choose what it plays?
* What newspapers, magazines, music trades and fanzines might review my music?
* What clubs and other live venues might I play in?

I could go on, but I think you get the point. After 2+ years of supporting independent music and musicians, my computer are full of 'wanna-be' demos, records, and CD's. I know that much of the music on those records etc. is good music, but that's just the point, GOOD has very little to do with anything when it comes to the music marketplace. GOOD is taken for granted. Why else would anyone go into a studio to record, if they didn't believe their music was worthwhile?

Think about the questions I brought up. You cared enough about your music to record it, so don't stop there. Protect it and prepare it for the marketplace in a way that is comfortable to you.

Education they say is the key to success. In this music industry you really need more than talent to climb up the ladder to stardom. Talent will only create a temporary space for you it will never take you to the top. You need to know what to do to be successful either as a rapper,singer,dj,producer,presenter along as you are into entertainment you are bond to success if you obey some certain laws and principles of the music industry.
Grab a copy of my ebook and read,it will really open your eye to the successful artist do and how they do it to get to where they are. You can do it too but you have to know how, You can call or mail me Temitope Benson +2347087162029,+2348072797772 or boajc2002@yahoo.com.hk

List of E-books

Rapper's Guide
Singer's Guide
DJ Guide
Producer's/Enterpreneur Guide

And many more to come.
For now the Rapper's Guide is available for distribution. So call to know better.

Re: Music Business 101: by frijos(m): 12:25pm On Mar 12, 2009
BRANDEDBEN, I'M PARTICULARLY HAPPY TO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE YOU AROUND. I GO BY THE NAME FJ FRIDAY JOSEPH AND I'M A CONSULTANT IN THE AREA OF ARTIST BRANDING AND PACKAGING. WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS VERY GOOD FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF MUSIC IN NIGERIA. KNOWLEDGE THE SAY IS POWER. EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE IN THE SPOTLIGHT EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE ARTISTS AND VERY FEW WANT TO CONSIDER TAKING A CAREER IN BECOMING MUSIC PUBLISHERS, ARTIST BRAND DEVELOPERS AND SO ON. THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A BIG BUSINESS AND THERE ARE VAST OPPORTUNITIES FOR EVERYONE WITH PASSION AND INTEREST IN IT. I'D LIKE US TO HOOK UP AND START A NETWORK SOMETIME SOON. I CAN BE REACHED ON 0808-809-7763

STAY COOL!
Re: Music Business 101: by dayssolalee(m): 2:29pm On Feb 28, 2020
Brandedben and FJ, it's good to discover you guys. Keep on the good work.

It's such an awesome experience to work in the Music Industry; The hardest marketplace to work in. Ultimate Music Brand Book is the documented knowledge of my 10 years experience in the music industry and more than 6 years in the digital marketing space.

Without an iota of doubt, you can see that we are in such an era in the music industry that even the industry don't know where it's going. Streaming now accounts for over 50% of all music consumption in the UK and ES Music Market but the Industry is still loosing money.

Click below to check Ultimate Music Brand book on Smen Music Company

https://smenmusic.com.ng/downloads/ultimate-music-brand-book-by-dayo-olasunkanmi/

Ultimate Music Brand is full of different branding strategies and digital marketing tactics you can use to push your musical brand to greatness without breaking the bank.

Please share with your Networks

To your music marketing success

Best regards,

Dayo Olasunkanmi

Check out the Ultimate Music Brand book below

https://smenmusic.com.ng/downloads/ultimate-music-brand-book-by-dayo-olasunkanmi/

(1) (Reply)

Promotion Of Songs And One Hour Interview For Up-and-coming Artists For Free / In Search For Upcoming Gospel Act For A Concert / Nollywood Movie Instrumental For Sale (this Beat Is Avaliable For Sale)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.