Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

How Do You Read To Understand? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do You Read To Understand? (29060 Views)

See The 7 Things I Did In Order To Understand My Lecturer In Class / 7 Ways To Remember Everything You Read In The Exam Hall / Important Ways To Simplify How You Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by sweatlana: 9:44am On Aug 06, 2015
You read it again and again and again!

BAR FINAL RESULT JUST CAME OUT AND I PASSED!!

THAT WAS I DID IT!

#GODWIN

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by nawtibownie: 9:45am On Aug 06, 2015
Noted.
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Dindondin(m): 9:46am On Aug 06, 2015
chibwike:
Yeah I have been thinking of this for sometime now. Reading is one thing. Understanding what you read is another thing.

I know we have got many graduates here, and even undergraduates like me.

I just want us to share the techniques of how we read and understand, mostly during our exam periods.

Do we jot stuffs in class and read later..or we just cram and download during exams (this is common among the ladies). There are lots of ways most most us tends to read during exams.

let's just share

brb.
pray I remember to respond your post
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by tolustx(m): 9:47am On Aug 06, 2015
I use what I read in real life situations. This helps me to remember it for a long time. For example, when I read something new in chemistry, I relate it to things in d surrounding and also talk to someone in that field abt it.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:47am On Aug 06, 2015
yorke1:
Great. Buhari will really need this.
click like if you know yorke1 is stupiid.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by manee2(m): 9:47am On Aug 06, 2015
123CarZ:
Take ganja nd ur readin ll neva remain dsam
_supported
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by webincomeplus(m): 9:47am On Aug 06, 2015
Just make sure you don't read under the pressure of exams.
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by timmyblast(m): 9:49am On Aug 06, 2015
I read at night on my own while in school. Also do some past question answering, cos it helps during exam. Reading is actually different, understanding is another thing. Thank you
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Kolade354(m): 9:50am On Aug 06, 2015
misssclassy:
Well, there are a lot of factors to put into consideration as regards this issue of reading to understand.

First of all one has to decide to want to read. You can't do anything well if you are forced to do that thing or you feel that thing is something you 'must' do, so you just have to do it.
It's the same way with reading. You first of all have to develop the desire to read. The desire to get the knowledge that the particular book or course you want to read is offering.
The truth is if you don't desire to read, you will never understand as you supposed to.

Another thing one should take into consideration is the environment you want to read in.
Some people like to read in quite environments, some like to read in noisy environments. Some like to read while listening to soft or loud music. Some like to read while munching a snack, or biscuit or sipping from their favorite drinks.
Some like to read with a friend and have chit chats in between the reading exercise.
As for me, I can only understand in a quite environment. One where I am alone and there is no noise.
I also like to walking around while I am memorizing(craming). It helps me grasp it faster.
I am someone who thinks on her feet, so when I am memorizing a passage of a book, I prefer to walk around.

I also like to jot down as I write. Before I read a course, I get a 60/80 leaves exercise book and I draw a thin like down the middle of each page.
So as I read each topic, I jot down some important points.
I have come to the realization that whenever I jot down anything while reading, I hardly forget.
In school, the lecturers normally gave us materials, both in soft and hard copy.
So when I am done jotting down those important points in this materials, the next time I read that subject or topic, I just go through what I have jotted down.

I also try to understand the ways lecturers set their questions. Some lecturers always follow a certain pattern when setting their exam and test questions.
Even in some courses, despite the lecturer handling that course, the method of setting the questions is always the same.
So if you know how these exam question are asked, you would know the pattern you would use in reading.
Some students just ignorantly read everything and they don't pay cognizance to some center key areas where the bulk of these questions are asked from.

Past questions are also important and surprisingly, they are always available.
When I get these past questions, I always use them as a guide as to how to read.
When I am done reading a course, I test myself with these past question to see if I have really covered the scheme and if I truly understand the course and to ascertain how ready I am for the exam.

Group reading is also essential. Is good to always have a group of friends you discuss a course with. It's not necessary you do it with them everyday but you pick a particular time maybe twice a week to read and discuss together.
One thing I have noticed is whatever I discuss any topic with my friends, I never forget it and I also understand it better.

Finally, one thing about this courses is that they are very volatile. So I always try to make sure at every point in time, I able to remember everything I have read.
The way I do this is that I get an exercise book, and from time to time, I try to replicate what I have read and memorized on the book. The more I do that, the more I tend not to forget what I read.

The time one reads is also important. In school, majority of students always read at night. In Uniben it's called Night class. One thing I noticed is that not everyone actually likes or knows how to read night but because their friends read at night, they decide to tag along.
I noticed that my brain is normally alert during the evenings and early in the morning.
So, I always read from 5- 7 in the morning and after classes in the evening all the way till 11-12pm.
Once it's 1am in the morning, my brain stops assimilating so at that time, I just go to my hostel and sleep.

I always read in classes or at the library. And it's not just any class. The way the class is lighted also affects the way I read and understand. I prefer classes that are well lighted.
I also like chewing gum when I read. It also helps me grasp faster, and I don't fall asleep easily.
And when I sit in the class, I always sit at the extreme of the chairs. If I sit in the middle, I just feel uncomfortable.

I also commit what I read into God's hand. He is the one that blessed me with the brain, so I always ask Him to help me understand better.
You're Alwayz On Point But Try to Summarize your point so that it won't. Be too Long for people to read......Spot on Sis
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by neutrotoba(m): 9:51am On Aug 06, 2015
How to read and understand: offer to teach one of your colleagues the next day

1 Like

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Folabimi(m): 9:51am On Aug 06, 2015
First make sure u attend ur classes cos it makes u understand what u're reading, then try to pause and think while reading, eg think of examples of what u're reading, how it can b applied, merits and demerit etc think outside d box ie outside ur notes
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Mishydoo(m): 9:53am On Aug 06, 2015
[size=13pt][b]1) NEVER READ MORE THAN 4 HOURS STRAIGHT*d brain is an exitable tissue subject to fatigue

2) ALWAYS TAKE BREAKS 10 -15 MINS

3) REST WELL BEFORE YOU COMMENCE MARATHON READING*rest helps arrange data and store properly

4)BEST HOURS FOR ASSIMILATION ARE EARLY HOURS OF MORNING*after long hours of rest the brain captures anythng fast

5)ALWAYS EAT WELL AND HYDRATE *the brain consumes up to 80%glucose from the body

6)ALWAYS READ IN A WELL VENTILATED ARE *THE BRAIN TAKES UP TO 60% OXYGEN frm D BODY

7) NEVER SNACK OR CHEW GUM OR LISTEN TO MUSIC WHILE READING!!! *multiple activity divides concentration,d brain dedicates many neurons to monitor other activities therfore reducing the number dedicated to ur reading

8. IF POSSIBLE,SPEAK TO URSELF WHILE READING *focusing 2 sensory organs,sight and hearing to a task improves concentration double fold.

9.NIGHT SLEEP IS VERY IMPORTANT TO BRAIN FUNCTION,*at least 6-7hrs of sleep every night.

...and as for the haters,I made a 2.1 and ws d BGS in my dept wink

Goodluck![/b][/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by yorke1: 9:53am On Aug 06, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
click like if you know yorke1 is stupiid.

Click like if you know Kazmanbanjoko is silly

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Iamoilprince(m): 9:53am On Aug 06, 2015
@op, if you really want to understand what you read then u need to read slowly, word to word, get a dictionary to know the meaning of some words, as you read try get an imagination of what the sentence is all about. At the end of each topic try create a summary with ur imagination.

Take advantage of Fish Oil like Omega H3. Rest and sleep well after reading.

Group discussion will also help, but try to be the leader of thr group because the more you explain the more it sticks to your brain.
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by maestroz: 9:53am On Aug 06, 2015
misssclassy:
Well, there are a lot of factors to put into consideration as regards this issue of reading to understand.

First of all one has to decide to want to read. You can't do anything well if you are forced to do that thing or you feel that thing is something you 'must' do, so you just have to do it.
It's the same way with reading. You first of all have to develop the desire to read. The desire to get the knowledge that the particular book or course you want to read is offering.
The truth is if you don't desire to read, you will never understand as you supposed to.

Another thing one should take into consideration is the environment you want to read in.
Some people like to read in quite environments, some like to read in noisy environments. Some like to read while listening to soft or loud music. Some like to read while munching a snack, or biscuit or sipping from their favorite drinks.
Some like to read with a friend and have chit chats in between the reading exercise.
As for me, I can only understand in a quite environment. One where I am alone and there is no noise.
I also like to walking around while I am memorizing(craming). It helps me grasp it faster.
I am someone who thinks on her feet, so when I am memorizing a passage of a book, I prefer to walk around.

I also like to jot down as I write. Before I read a course, I get a 60/80 leaves exercise book and I draw a thin like down the middle of each page.
I have come to the realization that whenever I jot down anything while reading, I hardly forget.
In school, the lecturers normally gave us materials, both in soft and hard copy.
So when I am done jotting down those important points in this materials, the next time I read that subject or topic, I just go through what I have jotted down.

I also try to understand the ways lecturers set their questions. Some lecturers always follow a certain pattern when setting their exam and test questions.
Even in some courses, despite the lecturer handling that course, the method of setting the questions is always the same.
So if you know how these exam question are asked, you would know the pattern you would use in reading.
Some students just ignorantly read everything and they don't pay cognizance to some center key areas where the bulk of these questions are asked from.

When I get these past questions, I always use them as a guide as to how to read.
When I am done reading a course, I test myself with these past question to see if I have really covered the scheme and if I truly understand the course and to ascertain how ready I am for the exam.

Group reading is also essential. Is good to always have a group of friends you discuss a course with. It's not necessary you do it with them everyday but you pick a particular time maybe twice a week to read and discuss together.
One thing I have noticed is whatever I discuss any topic with my friends, I never forget it and I also understand it better.

Finally, one thing about this courses is that they are very volatile. So I always try to make sure at every point in time, I able to remember everything I have read.
The way I do this is that I get an exercise book, and from time to time, I try to replicate what I have read and memorized on the book. The more I do that, the more I tend not to forget what I read.

The time one reads is also important. In school, majority of students always read at night. In Uniben it's called Night class. One thing I noticed is that not everyone actually likes or knows how to read night but because their friends read at night, they decide to tag along.
I noticed that my brain is normally alert during the evenings and early in the morning.
So, I always read from 5- 7 in the morning and after classes in the evening all the way till 11-12pm.
Once it's 1am in the morning, my brain stops assimilating so at that time, I just go to my hostel and sleep.

I always read in classes or at the library. And it's not just any class. The way the class is lighted also affects the way I read and understand. I prefer classes that are well lighted.
I also like chewing gum when I read. It also helps me grasp faster, and I don't fall asleep easily.
And when I sit in the class, I always sit at the extreme of the chairs. If I sit in the middle, I just feel uncomfortable.

I also commit what I read into God's hand. He is the one that blessed me with the brain, so I always ask Him to help me understand better.

very insightful!
what did you graduate with
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by zinachidi(m): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2015
i take pot before i read,, has been working for me though....
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by cooluc(f): 9:58am On Aug 06, 2015
Nice one misssclassy you said it all... just know yourself and how best you can read while having the highlighted factors mentioned into consideration then you are good to go.. then ask God for help..
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by damiloladuke: 10:00am On Aug 06, 2015
I associate my reading with something around me... that's all

READ MY FUNNY SIGNATURE
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 06, 2015
Personally,I don't have any "reading and understanding techniques", since I read Psalm 19,my understanding has improved significantly. May God help you.
Anyway,you can 1st read to understand. Thereafter you cram/master appropriately. As you cram,try to question your cramming before exam.
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by noblegrex: 10:03am On Aug 06, 2015
Make sure u attend classes it will enhance your understanding,read immediately after class it will help u understand further n retain it,then read n read n read.don't b too lazy n don't b too serious.just b calm
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 10:07am On Aug 06, 2015
maestroz:

very insightful!
what did you graduate with
lower

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by tym92(m): 10:08am On Aug 06, 2015
after takin weed...
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Cmanforall: 10:08am On Aug 06, 2015
misssclassy:

Nice one babe.
..... Jst wanna know... Did you make 1st class?
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Obiwannn: 10:10am On Aug 06, 2015
@missclassy
wow, jackometer. evening till 12pm?
e sure me die say u de 1st class.
Thosf points u mentioned are exactly wat I used during my time there but instead of exercise books, i used an A4 paper for my jots

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by idris4r83(m): 10:10am On Aug 06, 2015
misssclassy:

this write up must be from a first class student. Prove me wrong if am lieing.
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by LOVEGINO(m): 10:10am On Aug 06, 2015
I read upside down to understand better
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Adiwana: 10:11am On Aug 06, 2015
i read over-time;meaning i read all time..so for a course,i read it over and over again..
for eg maths,i practice as much as possible..
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 06, 2015
I read liberally without seriousness
Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by APRIDE(m): 10:15am On Aug 06, 2015
chibwike:
Yeah I have been thinking of this for sometime now. Reading is one thing. Understanding what you read is another thing.

I know we have got many graduates here, and even undergraduates like me.

I just want us to share the techniques of how we read and understand, mostly during our exam periods.

Do we jot stuffs in class and read later..or we just cram and download during exams (this is common among the ladies). There are lots of ways most most us tends to read during exams.

let's just share

misssclassy has analysed most of it but i will put in a few words. First, define your objective, like 'why am i in school'? Some people don't know why they are there. Don't try to cram too much, relate what you read to reality; this depends on your course of study anyway, for me, it worked very well in my undergraduate (Economics) days. Purge yourself of thoughts that might distract you from reading and do not read just for the fun of it but make sure every word sends the right message to your brain. See your studies as pictures rather than mere texts and believe me, you will stand out.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 06, 2015
Reading to Understand also depends on how well the content you are reading is structured.

I have found out that Nigerian Professors and Lecturers are the worst publishers of Academic Materials and Text.

They feel they are publishing for their peers and write in a manner that suggests that the reader already knows what they are talking about. They are also fond of using big grammar to describe technical details or using complex language structures to explain simple theories.

This is why Nigerian Students prefer international textbooks to local ones - this is because they explain in a manner that allows you to understand the concept they are trying to teach.

This terrible practices has even reached Nursery and Primary Schools; where children are taught to be dumber than their peers in international and private schools.

Buhari Please save us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Read To Understand? by ojnnaco(m): 10:16am On Aug 06, 2015
Drink 250mg of Tramadol ...place the book under ur pillow and d street will take over

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. / Disclaimer! The Miraculous FUTO Owerri Water Actually Came From Broken Pipeline! / Nans President:we Are Ready To Shut Down Federal Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.