Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project (8833 Views)

Lagos Plans Expansions Of Ikeja-alausa Road To Tackle Gridlock / Lagos Plans Hi-Tech Traffic Management System / Lagos Plans IPP For State Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by AloyEmeka9: 3:21am On Mar 11, 2009
Lagos plans new independent power project

By Obinna Ezeobi, Abuja

The Lagos State Government has entered into a partnership with the Singapore Power Company to build an independent power plant in the state.

Gov. Babatunde Raji Fashola

advertisement

This was made public when representatives of the state government and the SPC visited the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, on Friday.

In his speech, the leader of the delegation, Mr. Makanjuola Alabi, said the construction of the IPP was to ensure adequate and stable power supply in Lagos State.

He added that the team was at NERC to solicit its partnership for the state government's plan to generate adequate power for the residents.

Alabi, who is the Managing Director, Lagos State Signage and Advertisement Agency, said that his team would come back to the commission in a couple of weeks for a presentation of the state's blueprint on power supply.

He also said that the state government would soon perfect necessary documentation and licensing arrangements to actualise her power generation, transmission and distribution objectives.

In his response, the NERC Administrator, Mallam Immamudeen Talba, commended the initiative and assured the delegates of the commission's assistance.

Talba said that the Lagos State Government could not have chosen a better partner considering Singapore's efforts at turning around her history of shortage of power supply to that of adequate and efficient power generation, transmission and distribution system.

He assured the state Government of the Commission's readiness to consider her application on merit and to offer whatever assistance that could expedite action on the effort at ensuring adequate power supply in the state.

Singapore Power Company has one of the most efficient power technologies in the world and has experiences that cut across various energy sources.

NERC had in the last three years of its operation issued 28 power generation licences and one distribution licence to independent power producers.

The independent power producers are expected to generate 10, 271 mega watts of electricity when they complete their projects.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/mar/10/416.html
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by AloyEmeka9: 3:22am On Mar 11, 2009
That seems to be the only way out of this energy problem. Fashola needs somebody to buy him after shave. grin
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by bawomolo(m): 3:33am On Mar 11, 2009
word his shaving bumps game is serious shocked
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by AloyEmeka9: 3:34am On Mar 11, 2009
I think his skin is not used to African weather because his age is way past goose bumps. Is he from obodo oyibo?
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Becomrrich: 4:18am On Mar 11, 2009
I want to do the same. I have a company interested in doing the same thing over here. toknaija do you have fashola number again.

my cell number is 1416 04 5008.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:21am On Mar 11, 2009
Becomrich is in this Toronto nawaoo
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Nobody: 4:22am On Mar 11, 2009
I just hope those generator suppliers and China doesn't hear about this. Lagos is a super market for them. They might soon start lobbying. Nice step in the right direction. I'm glad that while he's planning massive renovation and Eko Atlantic city, he also knows that without adequate power supply, those projects will be a waste of money. Thank God he has a brain!
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Nobody: 4:29am On Mar 11, 2009
I'm surprised!! No maps? wow!! I thought you'll post a map that'll show how the power supply is going to be diverted to the North through erosion.

I'm also surprised you live in Toronto. Which area?
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Kobojunkie: 7:02am On Mar 11, 2009
I wonder when we can start buying into this dream. Hopeful that it works.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Nobody: 7:16am On Mar 11, 2009
Anybody can be anything he wants to be if he can buy over the media. tongue
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Kobojunkie: 7:49am On Mar 11, 2009
I have always wanted to purchase stocks in the transportation and energy industry in Nigeria. So far, seems this man is the most levelheaded of all those in government down there. If he is my ticket, than I am going for it but with caution as well. I mean if he is gone in 2011 and the dream is yet reality, then I definitely will start looking more into other areas as I have waited way too long to start investing for retirement.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Reese1: 4:13pm On Mar 11, 2009
If Fashola can get this power issue taken care of; just this issue alone; even if he doesn't get to tackle anything else, my prayers for this man will never cease, and Nigerians should look hard at making him a top contender for the top job in the land. I'm very hopeful for Lagos right now with him at the helm. Hope he doesn't get distracted.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 11, 2009
im not too sure about this guy but so far he has done most things right.
i bet he's got an eye on the top job come 2015.
2011 would be too early
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Becomrrich: 4:41pm On Mar 11, 2009
if you claim he is doing a good job. Why should he wait till 2015. Why not 2011. tell me why if you people claim he is doing a good work.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 11, 2009
well, at the moment i dont think he can influence the POWERS that be that he is the right man.
he'll need time to do that and 2011 is way too close.
im sure you know that to win election in Nigeria you need to know certain people?
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by sinaayo(f): 5:09pm On Mar 11, 2009
let jst hope fashola can do better,lagos is like taxes now if only if he can mke this eletricty problem,
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by YarisMan(m): 5:13pm On Mar 11, 2009
How i wish this Fashola becomes an indigene of Ogun State and contest for 2011 Govnrship race
Ogun state. grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by deoye05: 5:16pm On Mar 11, 2009
men i hope its not going to take forever before we tap into the dream.
well fashola is a goal getter so i think he should be able to turn fantasis to reality cool
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by KunleOshob(m): 5:17pm On Mar 11, 2009
Dis Fashola man is too much joo, i hope he doesn't allow that crook (tinubu) to derail his programs
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by emiemi(f): 5:27pm On Mar 11, 2009
Another step taken in da right direction for fashola. Power project if implemented and can managed efficiently, I tell you Lagos will become one of the best cities of the world. I have to consider moving to Lagos very soon, huh.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by neeyee(m): 5:33pm On Mar 11, 2009
i hope he doesn't allow that crook (tinubu) to derail his programs

Former Gov. Tinubu may be a crook at least he chose to hand over to Fashola
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Eziachi: 5:35pm On Mar 11, 2009
Laudable and good idea but what happened to the first one started by Tinubu?
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by neeyee(m): 5:39pm On Mar 11, 2009
[table]Another step taken in da right direction for fashola. Power project if implemented and can managed efficiently, I tell you Lagos will become one of the best cities of the world. I have to consider moving to Lagos very soon, huh.[/table]

Abi O!!!
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Redman44(m): 5:40pm On Mar 11, 2009
Good news again from my man, Governor Fashola. Many Nigerians in the diaspora are waiting for Lagos State to have electricity supply 24-7. I can't wait for Fashola to get this power project rolling. I've got a lot of plans for youths in Nigeria. This is really good news. My father and Governor Fashola were close back in the days.  Nigeria needs to solve the electricity problem and fix the moribund railways. Then development will come to Nigeria.

Cheers.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by pheesayor(m): 6:08pm On Mar 11, 2009
Eziachi:

Obasanjo frustrated it, and thats why Tinubu is seen as a crook but only a crook could have survived Obasanjo' s attacks. Can u imagine even EFCC could not get him.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by pheesayor(m): 6:10pm On Mar 11, 2009
Redman44:

Good news again from my man, Governor Fashola. Many Nigerians in the diaspora are waiting for Lagos State to have electricity supply 24-7. I can't wait for Fashola to get this power project rolling. I've got a lot of plans for youths in Nigeria. This is really good news. My father and Governor Fashola were close back in the days.  Nigeria needs to solve the electricity problem and fix the moribund railways. Then development will come to Nigeria.

Cheers.

About the railways, a chinese firm started one under Obasanjo and instead of the new government to continue all they've been doing is probing
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by debosky(m): 6:12pm On Mar 11, 2009
Eziachi:

It is operational. See LINK

Sadly, due to OBJ's drive to ensure that Tinubu got no credibility for this, the power has to be fed into NEPA's grid and then distributed according to their decisions, without preferential treatment for Lagos. In essence, the power was used to supply other areas of the country instead of Lagos.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by BigB11(m): 6:28pm On Mar 11, 2009
I guess, Fashola is finally tired of the waiting game, it's time to move on and leave other dolts behind.
This is certainly a great move; let us just hope that others like Akala will follow the same foot-step and make things happen.
Fashola is my man and I predict that pretty soon his incredible accomplishments will be used as benchmark for other hopeless leaders.

I also hope Fashola doesn't pull Ribaduism towards the end of his term. Let us all give him the respect and attention he deserves.
Absolutely, MorePower!
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by proudly9ja(m): 6:30pm On Mar 11, 2009
I think weare missing a vital point here.

First I must confess I wasnt one of Fashola's fans at the beginning. I just loathed anything that came out from the mouth (abi na govt) of Bola Tinubu. However, I must say I have been humbled.

But in the issue of power, the solution is probably IPP like the OBJ govt realised however, I am surprised that journalist and Nigerians in general are still falling for this thing about Lagos State (or Abia, Rivers, Delta, etc) having constant supply. The truth is the way our country is run, by law, any IPP is fed into the National Grid. Thats what our law supports and I think it came down from the civil war where it is widely believed (rightly or wrongly) that if the seccesionists had their own independent power, they may have succeeded in gaining 'independence'.

So, in as much as I support all the IPP projects including this one, I think what Governors like Fashola and Oshiomole should now be fighting for is each state generating and KEEPING its generated power.

If the above does not work, I have said it several times, Nigeria needs only about 15000MW of energy for stable power supply. Fed Govt, should mandate each state (and if possible, make monthly deductions from their allocations and do it for them. Its not as if we see what some of them do with it anyways) to generate only 500MW each. Thats 18000MW at the end of the day. Give them a 2/3 yeardeadline.

If wearereally serious, we know what to do.

Kudos again to Raji Fashola
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Outstrip(f): 7:03pm On Mar 11, 2009
I asked this question a few weeks ago and never really got a clear answer. I am from Edo state so I am praying that Oshiomole who is also from my LGA will also do the same in Edo state. I know that having dependable power supply will make a world of difference. I have much respect for people that show that they have common sense. Common sense turns me on grin grin grin grin . Lack of common sense is simply the biggest problem we have in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by slimes(m): 7:23pm On Mar 11, 2009
Another failed project.
Re: Lagos Plans New Independent Power Project by Fhemmmy: 7:31pm On Mar 11, 2009
If this guy can do this, he will have my vote as the next president of Nigeria, cos anyone that could solve Lagos' problem has solved the problem of Nigeria 75%, with the look of things, the guy is not just all talk, but a man of action.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Video Of Nigerian Navy Special Forces Personel Training U.s. Marine Personels / Breaking News..50 Russian Fighter Jets Bombing Turkish Capital Ankara / Tribunal: Ganduje, Abba, Tambuwal, Aliyu Know Fate Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.