Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,927 members, 7,866,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 07:09 PM

Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. (9461 Views)

UNDERCOVER MAID - A Short Fictional Story By Umar Yusuf. / Mission Sambisa!!! (all Is Fair In Love And War) / When Mission Becomes Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by Mekky05(m): 1:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
Nice one bro.. Keep it coming.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 10:47pm On Jul 29, 2015
OP wats up na?
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2015
HDoc:
OP wats up na?
Been very busy lately. Will update in a few minutes.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 11:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
I pulled up and parked my car on the side of the road. I just sat in there for a few minutes observing the scenery. Tuk Tuks were carrying passengers around still driving as dangerous as they always did. A few kids were playing a game of football on a patch of sand. I watched as they had their fun without a Care in the world.

I used to play football but I quit right about when I got into university. Not that I lost the zeal. I just became too lazy and had a lot other issues going on in my life at that point in time. They used to call me Roberto back then. It was actually my uncle who gave me the nickname and I just stuck after that. Whenever I stepped on a football field I stopped being Tega and transformed into Roberto. I even had it written on the back of my soccer shirts.

I must have sat there watching the kids for a long time because they eventually got tired and started arguing. A few minutes later one of them grabbed the ball and walked off. Yes. That's the only way street matches ended.

I let out a little chuckle and took in a deep breath. Coming here just made me feel so nostalgic.

I placed my sunglasses on and got out of the car.

The Gate had been repainted red. I liked the old black colour better. I knocked and leaned against the wall.

"Na who be that?" A shrill voice shouted seconds later.

I stood there without replying. The Gate man opened the latch on the gate and quickly opened the gate when he realised it was me.

"Shun sir" He said saluting. "Good Afternoon Oga."
"Ah! Lukman how are you?" I asked as I stepped inside.
"I'm fine sir" he replied. "E Don tey since we see you for this side oh"
"I know. I've been busy and trying to avoid problem"
"Okay. Welcome Sir" He said as he locked the gate and walked away.

I looked at the house and took one last breath before stepping inside.

"Mummy miguor" I greeted my mum as I entered
"Ah! Tega. You came?" She looked surprised. "We weren't expecting you"
"Well. Lil bro convinced me to come" I took a seat. "And you didn't reply my greeting"
"Oh! Vrendo" She said hurriedly. "Let me tell your Dad that you're here"

She went inside the house.

The setting of the sitting room hadn't changed much. Then again my parents were the the kind of people who liked playing things safe. They just stuck to the same routine.

A few minutes later she returned and handed me a bottle of coke.

"So how have you been?" She asked.
"Just busy with work." I replied
"Work? You never told us you got a job."
"It's not really a job. But the less you know the better" I took a sip. "Where is Edirin?" I asked.
"She went to buy something for me."

Edirin was my youngest sister. She was 11 years old and the only one I could really stand in my family right now.

Me and my mum kept discussing until my brother and sisters arrived.

"When last was this house full like this?" Mum exclaimed happily.

In my mind I was just hoping this euphoria would last the whole visit.

She set the food on the table and went in to call my Dad again. They came back together and I and my siblings all greeted him. He replied us but deliberately avoided eye contact with me.

Nigho bless the food for us my mum ordered my sister. (Nigho is my second sister). She prayed for the food before we started eating.

"Tega did you buy anything for me?" Edirin asked enthusiastically
"See this girl oh" I chuckled. "You couldn't even greet and now you're asking for a gift"
"I'm sorry"
"No problem. I didn't bring a gift because I wasn't sure if I would be coming today. But I will next time"
"How long is that going to be?" She asked

The whole table went silent.

"it depends" I said matter-of-factedly. "How is work Dad?" I asked trying to initiate a conversation.
"It's okay" he replied.

We kept on chatting for a while before the issue of life plans came up.

"What do you intend to do with your life?" My Dad asked
"I'm still working that out"
"Working out?" He said in his condescending tone "at the age of 24? I was married and starting this family at your age boy"
"That's you dad." I was trying to remain calm. "We're different people"
"Yes we are different. But you're supposed to have a brain"
"Darling!" My mum gasped shocked.
"No" He said raising his voice. "I can't have my first son doing nothing and wasting his life. Don't you think that gives me a bad image"
"But.."
"No buts" He was already worked up. "I've told you to come and work with me and keep the business going"
"I'm not just interested in that" I replied
"Not interested in what?" He was shouting. "Not interested in what fed you and clothed you all your life"
"I never said I don't appreciate it..."
"Then why don't you work with me." He was already full on rage. "Why do you want to be a failure?"

I lost my cool and stood up and banged the table accidentally pouring some food.

"This is why I don't come to this fu**ING house" I yelled. "Why do you always have to judge me without knowing what is actually going on?"
"Why don't you just fu**ING trust me when I tell you I know what I want." I grabbed my keys. "You've never trusted me but you know what?... I don't just give a Dam* anymore"

I walked out blocking out what they were saying. I knew this was how this trip was going to end. I just had a little hope that it would be different.

I got in my car and took one last look before I drove off.

A different set of kids were playing football.

2 Likes

Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by hfinest1(m): 11:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
AikayDaWrapper:

Been very busy lately. Will update in a few minutes.
will reload page in a few minutes..... don't fail me nigg
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 11:08pm On Jul 29, 2015
hfinest1:
will reload page in a few minutes..... don't fail me nigg
Update is up already cheesy
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by hfinest1(m): 11:16pm On Jul 29, 2015
AikayDaWrapper:

Update is up already cheesy
kept to ur words.... u d man nigg.... chop knocklewinkgrin
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by youngelder(m): 10:08am On Jul 30, 2015
Now thats some tense family shii you got there.. I'm sure he couldn't bring himself to tell his people.. 'dad, i'm a cop. I'm on a secret mission'.. Wel, the less they know.. The better for them
. BTW... African parents sef..
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 10:06pm On Jul 30, 2015
Dude U rock.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by uanda(m): 5:22pm On Jul 31, 2015
following head to head bro
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 10:01am On Aug 01, 2015
Just wanted to inform you guys that I'll be moving to a new house this weekend so I might not have time to update this weekend.

But an update should be up by next week.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 11:43am On Aug 01, 2015
No Wahala
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 7:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
The evening was getting darker but I could see the glow in her face. We walked along the street with the cool evening breeze blowing in our faces.

"You're looking so beautiful tonight Esther" I observed.
"Stop trying to flatter me" she said blushing.
"No really" I said. "I don't think we'll need the moon tonight because you're lighting the whole place up"

She smiled and looked away.

"Let's sit down and rest for a while" She said as we approached some benches.
"Sure. I was going to suggest that too." I collapsed on one of the benches and she sat on my lap. "So. Anything interesting happen today?"
"Oh my God" she squealed, "U was at a boutique today..."

I wasn't fully focused on what she was saying. I was just thinking of how important Esther was to me.

She was the most important person in my life and someone who just made me smile and feel good about myself no matter how bad things were. She was the only person to have truly seen me for who u really am and not because of the crazy things I did.

We had gone to high school together. We hardly talked at first and I had a crush on her but had been too shy to tell her how I felt.

As fate would have it we later got assigned to work together on a school project. I found out she had a thing for me and from there sparks just started flying.

We had a rocky relationship and argued over a lot of things. But that was the way we liked it. It suited us and just made us stronger.

"Are you even listening to me" Her voice brought me back to consciousness

"Um... yeah..." I stuttered. "Boutique... um... woman... shoes"
"Seriously. So you mean..." I planted a kiss on her lips to keep her quiet.
"I'm hungry. Aren't you? Let's go get some food" I said as I withdrew.
"Sure" she said looking dazed.

There was a restaurant round the corner which we went to. I told her to wait while I ordered the food. A few minutes later I had gotten two plates of jellof rice and chicken with a Chivita pack for both of us.

As I got back to the table I was shocked by what I saw. She sat calmly looking at me with her face bloody, battered and bruised.

Tears slowly rolled down her face as she said in a haunting voice. "You weren't there when I needed you"

"No, no, no" I said stepping back dropping the food I was holding.
"Liar" she screamed. "You said you would always be there but you weren't. You deserted me" she was sobbing.
"No, no, no"
"You're not a man. You're weak. I'm dead because of you."

"Noooooooooo" I screamed as I woke up from my dream. I was sweating profusely and my sheets were soaked.

The nightmares about Esther had come back. I sat on my bed thinking.

It was only a dream I said to myself.

The sweating had made me dehydrated and I needed to get some water.

I went downstairs and poured some water into a glass. As I poured the water I heard a clicking sound. I paused for a moment but the house was silent.

I just had a bad dream maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.

I was about to go to my Room when I heard the clicking sound again. This time I heard some footsteps outside and a few voices.

This was real I wasn't imagining it.

Somebody was trying to break into my house...

1 Like

Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 10:54am On Aug 05, 2015
Loving it.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by Uncleluke1(m): 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2015
Omo dis story dey sweet o. The fact dat i'm currently in PH makes it more interesting.. Bro more bullets 2ya gun!!
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
Whats happenin na?hope u're good?
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by Olaide59(f): 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2015
I love this story! Keep it up dear
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
I'm sorry for the lack of updated guys. Been busy the past few weeks.

Have an an I.T job from 9-5 and still organising things in my new house.

Update will be up in a few mins.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 1:06pm On Aug 17, 2015
HDoc, Uncleluke1, Olaide59

Before I could make a move someone kicked the door in and a bullet whizzed through the room. I ducked for cover behind a chair. Trapped with no where to go. All my guns were in my room but there was no way I would get to it now.

I stayed silent and tried to listen. I could hear only one footstep in the room. Maybe I had a chance. I peeked under the chair and watched as he slowly approached me. When he got closer to where I was I dove at him knocking him to the ground. His gun slipped out of his fingers and slid across the room. I tried to land a punch but he held my hands and threw me off him.

I stared in amazement as he heaved himself off the floor. He was a giant of a man. He looked about 6 foot 5 and had the kind of muscles you would normally see on a profesional wrestler.

I had never met this guy before and I was wondering why he wanted to kill me. He could be a member of one of the rival gangs. That had to be it! We had been making a lot of noise recently in the city and surely someone must have noticed.

We stood across the room staring down each other. He could smell my fear. He charged at me and I quickly jumped out of the way. This caught him off balance and caused him to clatter into a wall. I could swear this caused a dent to appear on the wall.

I saw this as an opportunity and quickly attacked him throwing punches carelessly at his body. This didn't seem to phase him at all. He just shoved me as though he were swatting a fly and I crashed head first into a Chair.

The chair smashed in pieces and I felt a nail stab Me in the stomach. He was approaching me again. I grabbed one of the pieces of wood and swung hard as I could at his face. I hit my target and he staggered back.

He was bleeding. Wasting no further time I flew at him with my newly acquired weapon swinging at all the spots I could hit. I tried swinging at his face again but he dogged it and my velocity threw me of balance.

I was in trouble.

He punched me in the gut and the wood fell out of my hand as I fell over backwards. Before I could catch my breath he grabbed me by the neck and lifted me off the ground.

I was shocked.

I weighed almost 85 kg and this guy just lifted me like he was carrying a toddler.

He backed in pressing me against the wall still holding my neck. I stretched out my hands and made some futile attempts to punch him. He had a long hand span so I couldn't reach him.

Slowly my arms started failing and the room was getting darker. My supply of oxygen was almost depleted. His face showed no emotion. This was a hired killer. He just looked at me with a blank expression.

Suddenly a light-bulb lit up in my head. Mustering all the strength I had I swung my leg at his crotch hitting him in the balls.

It worked.

He freed me and doubled over backwards.

I fell I a heap on the floor gasping for air. The oxygen felt so precious. I was having double vision. From my position on the floor I saw the gun which had dropped from his hands before. I crawled Towards it. I grabbed it and held it close to my chest.

He didn't notice.

He came again and tried to pull me up. As soon as I got to my feet I turned around and stunned him with a headbutt. He moved a few steps back then I pulled out the gun and put three bullets in his chest.

He groaned and fell to the ground.

The house vibrated.

I stood over his body and put two more bullets into his skull just to make sure.

I stood there trying to understand what had just happened.

Suddenly I felt a hard piece of metal crash into my head. I slumped and fell to the ground.

Before I fully lost my consciousness I saw a man standing over me with some ropes and a roll of tape.

I blacked out.

1 Like

Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by scopiicaar: 4:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
Dis is so cool man......thumbs up
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by Olaide59(f): 7:08pm On Aug 17, 2015
Thanks bro. Please ride on
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by Freeezzz(m): 7:33am On Aug 18, 2015
Fire on! cool
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 1:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
Thnk God U're back,More pls...
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 7:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
My head was throbbing as I slowly regained consciousness. It was dark and I couldn't see anything. I tried moving but my wrists and legs had been tied up.

We were moving and I concluded I was in the trunk. I tried adjusting myself but I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. It was the nail injury I had suffered when I crashed into the chair.

The adrenaline had worn off and I began feeling the pain from the beating I had endured.

The car continued moving for about 15 minutes before we stopped. Someone popped the trunk shining a bright torchlight in my face.

Another guy showed up seconds later and helped him pull me out of the trunk. They dragged me into a building with a micro finance sign on top of it. Immediately we got in I was strapped to a chair before they left the room.

I looked around trying to search for a way out. There were two windows in the room but both were too small for me to squeeze out of. The room was virtually empty and had only one door. Three armed guards had been outside the door before we entered and there was no way I could take on them in my current state.

My shirt was soaked in the blood. Some of it had already dried on my skin.

After what seemed an eternity the door opened and a man walked in. He motioned at the guards instructing them to stay outside.

He then walked towards me with a sly smirk on his face. He offered me a bottle of water but I rejected it with as blunt a tone as I could muster.

"More water for me then" he said dryly.

From his dressing I could tell that he had a lot of money. His suit was well tailored and his shoes were some of the finest leather I had ever seen.

After a few seconds of silence I asked, "Why are you trying to kill me."

He laughed and dragged a seat towards him. "Now what makes you think I'm trying to kill you?"

"Well I don't know." I said sarcastically. "Maybe because of the fact that you sent assassins to my house in the middle of the night"
"Oh! That" he said nonchalantly. " You mean John. I didn't send him to kill you" he paused. "Just retrieve. I'll admit his methods can be a little rough but he brings results. He was one of my best men but sadly you managed to kill him. Peace to his soul"

He leaned forward, "But that's what makes you so important. You're cunning and smart. Right now that's what I need. I think we're going to be very good friends." He smiled devilishly.

"Friends huh! Untie Me then let's hug it out"
"I will, I will. But have a little patience"
"So what do you want from me Mr..."
"Chuks. Just call me Chuks"
"So Mr Chuks"

He got up and walked to the end of the room, "My people tell me you're a core player in chief Adimchi 's syndicate right now. Making a lot of moves and pulling strings. That's why I want you. You're going to be my inside man. Before any move is made you report to me"

"What makes you so sure I know the chief? And even if I did why would I help you?"

He laughed and scratched his beard. "Haha Tega. I like your style"

My face froze as he Called my real name. How did he find out? Who was this?

He must have noticed the shock on my face because he immediately said, "Oh! Did you think I don't know who you really are. I know everything about you Tega. I know where you stay. I know where your family stays. With just a click of my fingers" He clicked his fingers. "They'll be history. So are you ready to do business?"

I had been check mated.

I had tried to avoid getting my family into this the whole time but it had finally happened.

I was boxed in. There were no more moves for me to make.

I looked at him and nodded silently.

"Okay then" he said with the enthusiasm of a kid. "Glad to have you on board"

1 Like

Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 10:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
Wow! Following.. ..
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 7:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
U seem 2 b in deep shit.

1 Like

Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 7:48pm On Aug 20, 2015
I wonder the twist this piece will take, cos tega is in a deep poo indeed.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 1:15am On Aug 22, 2015
People called Tega are normally stuborn.
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by AikayDaWrapper(m): 3:45am On Aug 22, 2015
HDoc:
People called Tega are normally stuborn.
LOL. That is very true. I have a cousin named Tega and he can be a pain in the ass
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by Uncleluke1(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2015
Ok, so Tega v been check mated.. Let's c hw dis plays out... Op nice job. U go so liv long
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by HDoc(m): 6:23pm On Aug 30, 2015
Tega nor b so o....
Re: Undercover In Portharcourt. A man on a mission. by Olaide59(f): 11:49am On Oct 16, 2015
Op where are u naw?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Last Duty By Isidore Okpewho / 23 Private/public Libraries In Lagos / Naija Yahoo Life(get Rich And Die Young, Pidgin EDITION) By Youngzubi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.