Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Society And Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Society And Atheism (5802 Views)

What Category Of Theism And Atheism Do You Belong? / Meme Wars: Post Your Memes On What You Think Of Religion And Atheism / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Society And Atheism by superior1: 7:29am On Jul 19, 2015
There cant really be societies without laws, the laws give face to a society. The problem however is that each societies/countries have their own laws which may not be in tandem with others, the issue is how do we determine which laws/behaviors are good, bad and human outside religion?

I will like to get opinions of Atheists on this

Update

From my engagement so far, it is apparent atheists have no standard measure for moral good or bad and the nearest to a measure is the law of the land which some said should be the arbiter of what is morally wrong or right.

If one is to accept this position, how then should we judge areas not covered in the law books e.g, there is no law saying lying is wrong therefore under atheism, lying cant be said to be good or bad.

If atheists believe that the law of the land should be the moral arbiter are they then alluding to absolute morality since the law doesnt bend to personal desires?. how can they relate moral relativism to the law of the land which is absolute

I will like to get more opinions from atheists.
Re: Society And Atheism by menesheh(m): 7:47am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:
There cant really be societies without laws, the laws give face to a society. The problem however is that each societies/countries have their own laws which may not be in tandem with others, the issue is how do we determine which laws/behaviors are good, bad and human outside religion?

You don't need any religion or deity to determine whether human laws cum behavior are good or bad.

2 Likes

Re: Society And Atheism by hahn(m): 8:19am On Jul 19, 2015
menesheh:

You don't need any religion or deity to determine whether human laws cum behavior are good or bad.

Input: Leaders of ancient times only used the "spiritual" concept to enforce their laws. Like saying "god said" instead of "I said". Every human is naturally conscious of what is right and what's wrong.

Besides, majority of the corruption in Nigeria are perpretrated by theists. A corrupt official will steal public funds and give a testimony or make a huge donation to the church, in the case of a christian. Even in Islam, the richer you are, the higher above the law(sharia) you become.

A lot of armed robbers, ritualists, corrupt officials and other perpetrators of crime all attend one church, mosque or any other place of worship and some/most times are serious adherents to the religin/faith/belief but are normally the first to judge other "sinners"

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Society And Atheism by onetrack(m): 8:35am On Jul 19, 2015
Activities which violate someone else's right to be secure in their person and their property are generally things which should be illegal; this is the basis for virtually all secular law codes.

2 Likes

Re: Society And Atheism by johnydon22(m): 8:58am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

[b]You are not serious right? So you are meaning to tell us you have no independent morals except what your religion gives you?

Tell me, do you need to consult the bible, quran or any other religious book before you know murder is wrong?

If you don't then how come you can't differentiate between sociatal morality and religious morality.
Secular states and country have no business with religious morals when enacting laws, thats why you see legalization of homosexuality even when your religion is against it, Nobody cares what religion thinks.

Morality is not Islamic neither is it christian or hindu. Morality is human, it belongs to no ism. and it is not dependent on any creed, book or supernatural for foundation because morality itself is a foundation.

Secular definition of Morality is: Actions that decreases human suffering and/or betters societal well being, freedom, equality and justice. . .

Am sure judging from this you can simply discern how moral actions are determined and not what religion says.
[/b]

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by davien(m): 9:18am On Jul 19, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]You are not serious right? So you are meaning to tell us you have no independent morals except what your religion gives you?

Tell me, do you need to consult the bible, quran or any other religious book before you know murder is wrong?

If you don't then how come you can't differentiate between sociatal morality and religious morality.
Secular states and country have no business with religious morals when enacting laws, thats why you see legalization of homosexuality even when your religion is against it, Nobody cares what religion thinks.

Morality is not Islamic neither is it christian or hindu. Morality is human, it belongs to no ism. and it is not dependent on any creed, book or supernatural for foundation because morality itself is a foundation.

Secular definition of Morality is: Actions that decreases human suffering and/or betters societal well being, freedom, equality and justice. . .

Am sure judging from this you can simply discern how moral actions are determined and not what religion says.
[/b]
You've become a pro in discussing morality grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 9:19am On Jul 19, 2015
johnydon22:
[/b]

What do you mean by societal morality, how is measured and how can we judge it?
Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 9:31am On Jul 19, 2015
menesheh:

What do we need to judge a behaviour, do you as atheist believe in absolute morality as a compass for judging behaviours?
Re: Society And Atheism by kolajamesjnr(m): 9:40am On Jul 19, 2015
grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 9:42am On Jul 19, 2015
kolajamesjnr:
grin grin

What if I love killing, how is killing wrong since I am just doing what I honestly love doing?
Re: Society And Atheism by menesheh(m): 9:48am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

What do we need to judge a behaviour, do you as atheist believe in absolute morality as a compass for judging behaviours?

We need objectivity in shaping and judging behavioural impulses, not subjectivity through appears to emotion, personal opinion, holy book, etc. Absolute morality is subjective of which people of different faiths are pretty zealous to enforce or subject us to. I judge my behavior through the consequences of the outcome and a long built empathy in human evolutionary processes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by dalaman: 9:49am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

What if I love killing, how is killing wrong since I am just doing what I honestly love doing?

Does killing harm others?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by johnydon22(m): 9:49am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

What do you mean by societal morality, how is measured and how can we judge it?
Perhaps you didn't read where i defined secular definition of morality, cus if you did you wouldn't have asked this question... Let me define it again.
Actions that DECREASES individual human suffering and/or betters sociatal well being, freedom, equality and justice

Am sure this definition is enough to show you actions that falls within the moral scale and so have answered your question on how it is meausred.

Let me give you an example in case you did not get it.
e.g: You gave a meal to a hungry man......... Judging from the definition of morality above, that your action DECREASE the suffering of that individual. . .So you see? it falls on the scope of a moral action.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by johnydon22(m): 9:49am On Jul 19, 2015
davien:
You've become a pro in discussing morality grin
Lol yeye boy
Re: Society And Atheism by dalaman: 9:50am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

What is absolute morality? Absolute morality isn't good for any society to flourish.
Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 9:51am On Jul 19, 2015
menesheh:

We need objectivity in shaping and judging behavioural impulses, not subjectivity through appears to emotion, personal opinion, holy book, etc. Absolute morality is subjective of which people of different faiths are pretty zealous to enforce or subject us to. I judge my behavior through the consequences of the outcome and a long built empathy in human evolutionary processes.

Then morality is relative then, so,like you did, I can also chose what I consider right or wrong?
Re: Society And Atheism by kolajamesjnr(m): 9:52am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

That wil mak u a psychopath hence you need help

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 9:55am On Jul 19, 2015
johnydon22:
Perhaps you didn't read where i defined secular definition of morality, cus if you did you wouldn't have asked this question... Let me define it again.

Am sure this definition is enough to show you actions that falls within the moral scale and so have answered your question on how it is meausred.

e.g: You gave a meal to a hungry man......... Judging from the definition of morality above, that your action DECREASE the suffering of that individual. . .So you see? it falls on the scope of a moral action.

Why should I give my food to the hungry man since I worked to make my own living, how is it morally right to share what I earned with another person, isn't that violating my own right to what I earned? and who is the judge and the maker of this moral actions?
Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 9:56am On Jul 19, 2015
kolajamesjnr:

That wil mak u a psychopath hence you need help

Says who, the law?
Re: Society And Atheism by dalaman: 9:58am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

Then morality is relative then, so,like you did, I can also chose what I consider right or wrong?

Moral principles and codes of.conduct are mostly established and agreed upon through concensus and the principles evolve. Morality is not set in stone. When slavery was consider as a good thing your God was there championing it. He was even giving people injunctions on how to sell their daughters into slavery.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 9:59am On Jul 19, 2015
dalaman:

What is absolute morality? Absolute morality isn't good for any society to flourish.

Hence, everyone can chose what is right or wrong? E.g I can decide to sleep with the family of 6 as long as they are all consenting, right?
Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 10:00am On Jul 19, 2015
dalaman:

Moral principles and codes of.conduct are mostly established and agreed upon through concensus and the principles evolve. Morality is not set in stone. When slavery was consider as a good thing your God was there championing it. He was even giving people injunctions on how to sell their daughters into slavery.

How did you know my God?, the question then is what is wrong in slavery?
Re: Society And Atheism by dalaman: 10:01am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

Why should I give my food to the hungry man since I worked to make my own living, how is it morally right to share what I earned with another person, isn't that violating my own right to what I earned? and who is the judge and the maker of this moral actions?

Because as a human being you can put yourself in the hungry man shoes and feel his pains. Once you do that then you can understand the need to help the person who is hungry.
Re: Society And Atheism by johnydon22(m): 10:03am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

[b]I think you purposely is swimming in your own misconceptions abou the simple concept above.

Nobody makes it mandatory that you should give the food to anybody, so that you give it is by choice and not obligation.

I give to the hungry because i care for them, because i want to and because am compassionate and empathic towards them.

So why you should act that way is sorely your choice and not in any way being forced on you by anything or anyone but YOU.

Please the bolded makes me want to forgo this discussion because its beginning to sound am talking with a minor.
Please how is what you decide with your own property violation of your right?
You have it and you decide if you want to share or not, how exactly has that got anything to do with violation of right.

Or you don't know what right is? If somebody forced you to give against your wish then it is violation of right But nobody is forcing you or making it mandatory you give, it is sorely YOUR choice and RESPONSIBLITY.

For the last part, Morality is a human concept.....

i.e:Please i wouldn't entertain any more childish questions like the one you asked about rights. . i would appreciate mature discourse.
[/b]
Re: Society And Atheism by superior1: 10:04am On Jul 19, 2015
dalaman:

Because as a human being you can put yourself in the hungry man shoes and feel his pains. Once you do that then you can understand the need to help the person who is hungry.

You obviously don't understand my original post, who/what determines this as being good or bad?
Re: Society And Atheism by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

this is what we in the unconventional arts refer to as....HORSESH*T

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by johnydon22(m): 10:06am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

You obviously don't understand my original post, who/what determines this as being good or bad?
Humans, the society and you... Your good actions are towards others and so others knows when you were good or not. . . MORALITY IS SORELY A HUMAN CONCEPT and so it takes humans to recognize a moral action when they see one

1 Like

Re: Society And Atheism by dalaman: 10:08am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

Tell me what is good when I come to your house. Abduct you and your kids. Sell you off to a person in a far away land that considers you to be his property the way he considers hoe. He beats you and treats you badly. You work for him and he doesn't pay you any wages. He only gives you food and basic clothing to survive. He decides what you do with your life till you die. He can sleep with your wife or daughter anytime he wants. You are just to keep working for him most of your time. He brutalizes you when ever he wants. Your entire existence is just to serve him. Tell me why that is a good system.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by Nobody: 10:08am On Jul 19, 2015
this thread is filled with subjectivism and individualism....
No faith watsoever
Re: Society And Atheism by johnydon22(m): 10:11am On Jul 19, 2015
dalaman:

Tell me what is good when I come to your house. Abduct you and your kids. Sell you off to a person in a far away land that considers you to be his property the way he considers hoe. He beats you and treats you badly. You work for him and he doesn't pay you any wages. He only gives you food and basic clothing to survive. He decides what you do with your life till you die. He can sleep with your wife or daughter anytime he wants. You are just to keep working for him most of your time. He brutalizes you when ever he wants. Your entire existence is just tp serve him. Tell me why that is a good system.
This is the type of question that sells theists out to be barbaric and daft. . .How can a human not know what is wrong in slavery . . . The guy has no idea he is busy down writing his moral basis from anyway he got it from

1 Like

Re: Society And Atheism by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Better still, get the man am education and a job, so you wouldn't need to feed him again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Society And Atheism by johnydon22(m): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2015
superior1:

This i think should be my last reply to you, if you had looked carefully on the definition of morality i gave you should have known everything is wrong in slavery........ Let me define it again so as to show you the premise from whence conclusion is drawn.
Moral Actions are actions that DECREASES individual human suffering, and/or betters societal well being, EQUALITY, FREEDOM AND JUSTICE

going by this definition SLAVERY we all know INCREASES individual suffering of the victim instead of DECREASING IT.

and SLAVERY is a DETRIMENT to the FREEDOM, EQUALITY AND JUSTICE meted to the victim instead of bettering it.

I am sure any sane human will know this to be clear

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Non Religious Believers in god Come Here / WHO IS JESUS? / Is This The Question That Created Atheism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.