Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,117 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram (1175 Views)

President Buhari, Abba Kyari, Monguno At Juma'at (Photos) / Malnourished Children At IDPs Monguno Camp (Graphic Photos) / Soldiers Kill Three Female Suicide Bombers In Monguno (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by bajajamujaja: 11:14pm On Jul 19, 2015
observers believe that the new National Security Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari would confront the Boko Haram terrorists headlong. There are allegations of sabotage within the military hierarchy, lack of political will, absence of serious support from the international community and the lack of cooperation from residents of local communities in the fight against insurgency. For instance on January 28, the Amnesty International issued a damning release titled: Nigerian authorities were warned of Boko Haram attacks on Baga and Monguno.
According to Netsanet Belay, Amnesty International’s Africa director, new evidence showed that the Nigerian military were repeatedly warned of impending Boko Haram attacks on Baga and Monguno which claimed hundreds of lives, and failed to take adequate action to protect civilians.
STAKEHOLDERS BELIEVE GENERAL MONGUNO CAN DELIVER
No one expressed confidence and optimism on the capacity of General Monguno in confronting the Boko Haram monster like Governor Kashim Shettima who said that the appointment of Monguno to the high position would spell and end to Boko Haram.
According to him, “Buhari’s choice of retired Major General Babagana Monguno and Major General Tukur Buratai as National Security Adviser and Chief of Army Staff respectively, was a classic case of putting square pegs in square holes because both men have been given the mandate of liberating their State which is at the centre of Boko Haram activities while they possess ancestral knowledge of the Borno terrain in addition to being direct victims of insurgency attacks with their relatives killed, their residences destroyed and their towns raided.
“President Muhammadu Buhari made a strong statement by his decision to appoint two highly competent sons of Borno to the offices of the National Security Adviser and the Chief of Army Staff. I think his strategy was to get people with ancestral knowledge of the Borno terrain. Major General Tukur Buratai is even a direct victim of Boko Haram attacks. He lost family members when his residence was attacked earlier this year in Buratai, a town in Biu Local Government Area. Monguno was destroyed and once occupied by Boko Haram and that is where the new NSA, retired Major General Babagana Monguno hails from.
“In fact, a key family member of General Monguno is still being held captive by Boko Haram insurgents. These two Generals are from Borno, they know exactly where it pinches and most importantly, they understand the terrain and can easily connect with communities to get local support.
Similarly, a member of the House of Representatives (Kaga/Magumeri/Gubio federal constituency in Borno state) Alhaji Mohammed Sanda Ngamdu, said General Monguno and others would bring an end to Boko Haram terrorism.
“These two top military brasses from Borno state do not only have the military professionalism and intelligence, but the duo know the terrains, including the nooks and crannies of this affected sub-region of our country, Nigeria. In war, you have to know all the aspects of the areas and people, so as to comprehend and fully understand the modus operandi of insurgents of destruction of lives and property,” he said.
Kime Yunus, an IDP in Monguno said he had known General Monguno in the last 30 years ago. “He was a rugged fighter even when he was young, he never gave up fighting, he always won. I see his appointment as a sign of new dawn for us; he will surely liberate us,” he said.
Speaking on the new NSA, Colonel Isa Kontagora, who was an artillery officer in the Nigerian Army, said “By his pedigree he is more than qualified. To start with, the man is knowledgeable. He commanded the Intelligence Defence Agency and he was in the Doctrine and Command. This is an asset to him. He is calm and calculative as a person. He is expected to bring these qualities to bear in his approach to the fight against Boko Haram. The NSA is a victim of Boko Haram. They overran his community many times. I think he has the advantage of environment to deal with the insurgency”.

Read the full article here: http://dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/top-stories/21359-monguno-a-no-nonsense-general-takes-on-boko-haram

1 Like

Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 19, 2015
undecided
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by senier007(m): 11:18pm On Jul 19, 2015
Mungonu is my guy
Buratai is my G
Love all my Biafra side chick
Missed my odua ex-girlfriend
Fayose is a tout and doesn't represent the best of Yoruba
Arewa is where my heart is
Calabar is damn fine
Jonathan was a good man surrounded with bad people
Buhari is a good man surrounded with good people
Shekau is a coward, he only attack soft target
All BH members will go to hell
May Allah bring an End to this madness
Dasuki must go to jail
Saraki must be removed
Don't care about ekweremadu
Jagaban is my role model
I am Fulani
And I am not tribalistic
And I love all human being irrespective of your religion or race
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by bababuff(m): 11:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
Ok.
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by dunkem21(m): 11:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
Goodluck in your quest.
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by Danjuma827(m): 11:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
Let's see what he can offer at least we will be glad of his works are cherished.
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by Cyberthreat: 11:29pm On Jul 19, 2015
Talk talk..

1 Like

Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by obasanjo94(m): 11:30pm On Jul 19, 2015
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 19, 2015
Crude oil price is falling.
Northerners need to embrace hard work now or else prepare to face hunger.
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by obinna2nv(m): 11:43pm On Jul 19, 2015
Can a Northerner please explain to me why you people usually name your children after your hometowns?

1 Like

Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by hinwazaka: 11:53pm On Jul 19, 2015
I watched in horror as Lia Mohammed and two other men tried to pass off Mongunno as Montgomery on channels TV sunrise show. We are missing the mark on the Boko Haram issue. There is no quick fix to this problem, no wonderboy that will come in and save the day. This is not the movies where Col Patton will analyze and dish out instructions which would neutralise the opposition. This is the real world, in this world Gen mongunno is just as confused as his predecessor and knows next to nothing about Boko Haram. The general will of course blow some steam, bark a few orders and then recede into the background. At the end of the day he will receive as much pile of rubbish as the previous guy. The Nigerian army has, is and will always be a joke which is in no way prepared for this kind of warfare

1 Like

Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by likila: 12:07am On Jul 20, 2015
how can boko haram fight boko haram?
The thief mongunu was caught aiding and abetting boko haram to kill innocent Nigerians.
That was why he was dismissed with immediate effect from the army.
but the boko haram man is now back
and Dullardo Buhari said, "we are winning the war",
while thousands of innocent Nigerians are slaughtered in the north east!

1 Like

Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by Shortyy(f): 12:46am On Jul 20, 2015
You mean the sick general? oh my heart is crushed
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by aminho(m): 5:35pm On Jul 20, 2015
obinna2nv:
Can a Northerner please explain to me why you people usually name your children after your hometowns?
to show love to where we come from my name has my village name too
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by ogba20: 5:43pm On Jul 20, 2015
Freemanan:
undecided
. Forget all these nonsense aboki them knw wat is going on
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by obinna2nv(m): 7:17pm On Jul 20, 2015
aminho:
to show love to where we come from my name has my village name too

Well that's admirable. But it can get confusing if a whole lot of people are answering the same name in the same locality...
Re: Monguno: A No-nonsense General Takes On Boko Haram by aminho(m): 7:21pm On Jul 20, 2015
obinna2nv:

Well that's admirable. But it can get confusing if a whole lot of people are answering the same name in the same locality...
its only the last name my first name is AMEEN but officially i am called muhammad musa amshi,amshi is the name of my village my dad nswers musa AMSHI while his dad answers buba amshi and it continues

(1) (Reply)

Rejoinder To Radio Biafra's Siren Song By Coc Of Ipob. / Details Of All You Need To Know About D USA President's Personal Car,"the Beast" / Abia PDP Office Burnt Down By Hudloms,PDP/Apga In Words War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.