Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,988 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] (46518 Views)

University Of Nigeria, Nsukka Student Shot Dead (Photo) / UNIBEN Students In Class Formations Ahead Of Their Graduation / UNIBEN Students Generate “Supplementary” Income In The Hostel [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by LOZENGE(m): 11:55am On Jul 20, 2015
RIP to the dead. quick recovery to the injured. The authorities should construct a better Pedestrian Bridge not the metal for advert that was placed there before. They should
Take a cue from the likes of Alvan in OWERRI and save the students from preventable accidents
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Mexyz(m): 12:05pm On Jul 20, 2015
naijaboiy:

What's your point exactly?

That a flyover should not be constructed?

Why was the former one removed? For what reasons?
my point is even if the flyover is constructed there, uniben students will still not use it. The only solution is to introduce speed breakers but then again I doubt if the concerned authority will do that cause that road is a federal road.

1 Like

Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by missslimfit(f): 12:05pm On Jul 20, 2015
rita and efe...my coursemates. its so so sad. Rita may your soul rest in peace. amen
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by hippyzuki(f): 12:06pm On Jul 20, 2015
RIP but hey even if they put the bridge my uniben comrades willl never use it. They prefare to b doing shakara on the high way
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by naijaboiy: 12:08pm On Jul 20, 2015
Meetvincent:
shows you are new there. It was removed during the road expansion
Alright then.

No wonder I didn't see it.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by naijaboiy: 12:09pm On Jul 20, 2015
hippyzuki:
RIP but hey even if they put the bridge my uniben comrades willl never use it. They prefare to b doing shakara on the high way
Anybody who does shakara to cross the road will do shakara to his/her grave.

Because the person is not ready to take precautions.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by 4C2215131: 12:10pm On Jul 20, 2015
Ferdybaba:

Exactly our point then bro. I never saw anyone use that bridge all through my 5 yrs in Uniben.

SUG had better sit up tho

You do have a point.The bridge is some ways from the gate. If it were located directly....
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by naijaboiy: 12:10pm On Jul 20, 2015
Mexyz:
my point is even if the flyover is constructed there, uniben students will still not use it. The only solution is to introduce speed breakers but then again I doubt if the concerned authority will do that cause that road is a federal road.
Bro,,anyone is acceptable. As long as it reduces the accident risks.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by hippyzuki(f): 12:12pm On Jul 20, 2015
naijaboiy:

Now this explains why students hardly made use of it.

How do you expect a student who is late for lectures,,test or exam to trek for as long as 100m or more before he gets to the fly-over that links him to the other road when he could quickly cross.

If this flyover/pedestrian bridge was constructed directly in front of the school gate i'm sure students will use it regularly.

My dear there was a bridge ryt in front of 19th street less than 50metres frm main gate but we no use am oo even me way dey talk I nevr used it. They will b crossing d rd na dat tym dem go de do shakara. Sorry if this may soundharsh but it's the truth.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Ehimax(m): 12:14pm On Jul 20, 2015
DEGREE2466:
One of the reasons living in BDPA is my least alternative.

The most annoying thing is the speed at which vehicles ply that road knowing fully well that students are always crossing the road. Why Nigerians are so impatient I don't know.

Speed break isn't an option as that is a federal road but pedestrian bridge.

Below is the picture of the dead student

RIP to the dead,
I don't think a road being a "federal road" restricts speed bumps been place where necessary. I graduated from AAU and just in front of the school gate speed bumps are strategically placed with about 2m intervals stretching about 20m on both ends while students cross in between. Speed bump need to be placed in front of uniben gate pending when a pedestrian bridge would be constructed.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by naijaboiy: 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2015
Kingsasian:
even those whose streets were just close to the bridge then never used it. I stay on 19th street which was too close to the bridge then. I never saw students from 19th & 20th streets use it in my 5 yrs in sch before it was removed.
Students sef get their own for body.

Well I just hope this will be an eye opener.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by naijaboiy: 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2015
hippyzuki:

My dear there was a bridge ryt in front of 19th street less than 50metres frm main gate but we no use am oo even me way dey talk I nevr used it. They will b crossing d rd na dat tym dem go de do shakara. Sorry if this may soundharsh but it's the truth.
Let the bridge or speed breakers be constructed first.

If students still decide to be stubborn and cross the road and anything happens,,they will be held responsible for their own callousness.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by coolaustyne(m): 12:30pm On Jul 20, 2015
Awelle was such a cool headed girl... Remember those days she greeted me when she walks past my house (when coming back from her secondary school den) in bariga, Lagos.. And I also remember how happy I was hearing from her sister that she had gained admission... Never knew seeing her before going for NYSC will be my last..
She was an angel to behold... Cute face, cute smile & her cute heart... Rest in God's bosom dear. Till we meet to part no more...
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by persius555(m): 12:36pm On Jul 20, 2015
In a country where the lives of the intellects and future of the country is never seen as an asset. How can a studdent seeking knowledge cross the highway that links the state to other states on a daily basis. Its so annoying that a govt built that highway and didnt take into cognisance the danger inherent in crossing thaat road. I cant remeber a pedestrian bridge btw uwasota and ugbowo, but if there is any, uniben students and citizens of edo state should cry out to gov osihomole to help build one. The berger end of lagos-ibadan expressway is another point that needs overhead pedestrean bridge. How many more prople need to die b4 we act. Every life of a nigerian is precious. RIP to the dead. Very, very painful.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by dblaisepascal(m): 12:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
naijaboiy:

http://www.ngschoolz.com/two-female-uniben-students-hit-by-an-army-vehicle-one-confirmed-dead-photo/
quite unfortunate' RIP to d dead'. May God preserve d other girl's life... But d way @wHicH student cross dat road seems they are immune to accident' most of them cross d road on slow motion as if THEY are robots'. D school authority needs to start creating awareness on danger involved'. Motor noor know who be student oooo
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Charleschidera(m): 1:04pm On Jul 20, 2015
R.I.P Rita......
#WeUnibenStudentLoveYou
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by ModiKen(m): 1:39pm On Jul 20, 2015
Kingsasian:
there is or there was??

Been a while I'v been to Uniben. If that over-head bridge isn't thr anymore, its a pity.

Quite disheartening.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Kingsasian(m): 1:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
naijaboiy:

Students sef get their own for body.

Well I just hope this will be an eye opener.
I hope so too.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Kingsasian(m): 1:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
ModiKen:

Been a while I'v been to Uniben. If that over-head bridge isn't thr anymore, its a pity.

Quite disheartening.
exactly
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 20, 2015
RIP to Rita.. It's so sad.. GOD guide ma steps in UNIBEN AMEN
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by danose99(m): 2:17pm On Jul 20, 2015
The annoying thing now is the school authority won't still tk adequate steps after this incident angry
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 20, 2015
naijaboiy:
[b]This is so sad mehn! sad

That expressway has taken the lives of so many students. In fact it is Believed that at least 3 students get hit by a car every year on that road. Sometime in march a guy was hit by a vehicle while he was crossing the road to the school gate for night class. Thank God he survived it.

Last year it was a 400level pharmacy student who was hit on the road and he died on the spot.

Now we have these two girls. And we are just in july. Nobody knows what will happen before the year runs out. I just hope nobody gets hit again.

I've been asking myself,,is it that the school authority or the federal government cannot construct a flyover/pedestrian bridge for students or at least a simple speed break? The rate at which students are getting killed on that road is alarming.

That's an expressway for God sake and the cars that pass there always speed without impunity.

Auchi polytechnic has a pedestrian bridge just in front of the school gate and the road is not even as wide as this one in UNIBEN.

It's still because of this road why I can't get an accommodation in that BDPA off campus opposite the school. I can't imagine myself having to cross an express road every single day when i'm going to school. undecided

It's fùcking risky!

Rip Rita...

#UnibenLovesYou... cry
[/b]
ur SUG presido came to man-around-town a morning programme on independent radio dis morning.i just heard it on the radio.i heard it was an army vehicle that collided with these two students.In AAU there are speed brakes across the express to prevent this from occuring.so sad when i heard the story this morning.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Mexyz(m): 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2015
naijaboiy:

Bro,,anyone is acceptable. As long as it reduces the accident risks.
Well I seriously hope so....
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by brixton: 2:46pm On Jul 20, 2015
3coins:

is there a flyover in front of ubth?. . .i dont think so

Used to b one in d past and was relocated to front of uniben gate.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by poseidon12: 3:30pm On Jul 20, 2015
R.I.P. Rita Awele. May God console your family.
And I pray for the quick recovery of her injured friend.
It's unfortunate that the Nigerian soldiers that hit them did not stop. I hope they can be tracked down and prosecuted. We have one of the most unprofessional and undisciplined militaries.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Mrkachi(m): 3:47pm On Jul 20, 2015
Then further need for pedestrian bridge has come up...
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by dapachez: 3:58pm On Jul 20, 2015
Bros you are so damn right. Atimes some of them with headfones on are not so conscious of their environment that some even walk on the road without ing precaution. Even on campus its worse as they move like snails even when they see vehicles approach, a typical route where they do this is bank road on campus. Drivers on the other hand should endevor to slow down when they approach such densely populated areas even though its on an express road. I just feel for the parents of the late student, after all the investment on her education with high hopes. Lord have mercy on her soul and grant the family of the deceased the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss
ionsman:
R.I.P to the dead........

But the way those Uniben students cross that road is nauseating. Some of them cross the roads as if they are strolling in their garden . Sometimes when I drive past that place and see the attitude those students display,I shake my head in pity.

Because,when they get hit,they will be the ones to die.

P.S: Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the drivers are saints,but the students are the main culprits in issues like this.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Tiffarah(f): 4:09pm On Jul 20, 2015
She was my coursemate, they were all together at St Albert.... Its just so sad one will be walking only to be hit by a vehicle. Still in shock.. It is well.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by Talibanis: 6:21pm On Jul 20, 2015
Sad news. However, this should serve as a caution to all over speeding motorists to try and slow a bit down when approaching a busy spot on a highway. Also, these UNIBEN students and pedestrians trying to cross the road should do so with some conscious brain and sense instead of crossing like a chameleon/snail. U obviously need to see how they cross the road really as if they are gods!
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by lexy2014: 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2015
naijaboiy:

No bridge there mehn!

Are you an alumni?
alright. Am not an alumni bros but I have some xperiemce with benin. Auchi poly had this same problem but they were able 2 put speed breaks on d xpress. It helped a great deal. I hope uniben authorities will b proactive with this situation
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by ahamonyeka(m): 6:45pm On Jul 20, 2015
There is a flyover there but I suppose the flyover is bad as student don't use it because of the location of the flyover.

R.I.p Rita.
Re: Two Female UNIBEN Students Hit By an Army Vehicle. One Confirmed Dead [photo] by kally01(m): 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2015
Tomorrow morning main gate don't miss it no more deaths @ main gate.....#makewedeygooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

4 UNILORIN Accident Victims Die / How Many Did This, Back In Secondary School Days? (pics) / FUTO Student Arrested For Pouring Hot Water On Fellow Student Over Toothpaste

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.