Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele (1506 Views)

Kenyan Schoolgirl Improvised Following The Ban On Plastic Bags In Kenya (Photos) / Gang Members Force Lecturer Out Of UNIBEN Nigeria / See What They Did To A Graduating Student Of UNIBEN Today(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by Getgripng: 6:33am On Jul 20, 2015
This piece was written by Comr Patrick Benjamin

A heartfelt message; following the murder of Miss Rita Awele - a 200 level student of the University of Benin - by the Nigerian Army

May I first plead for the attention of the media, the bloggers, the Civil Society Organizations, the Human Rights Community and all souls devoid not of human compassion. This is a moment of less words, for a black flag is flying over UNIBEN's head. At the moment, the Nigerian Army has served before the students of the University of Benin, a bitter meal.

Yesterday, the 19th of July 2015, at about 10:15AM, those whose allegiance it is to defend our territory and protect our lives did sadly squeezed life out of an innocent student. Just about two years after the premeditated murder and burial of Momodu Ibrahim, a final year student of the UNIBEN by Mrs. Carol Afegbai (the Divisional Police Officer of Ogida police station, as at the time the crime was committed), gloom and anguish have again fallen upon the students of the University of Benin, as a reckless and allegedly drunk soldier in an army vehicle with the inscription: THUNDER STORM PATROL 28, knocked down two female students of the University. As I struggle to pour down these words, Rita Awele is gone; that promising intellectual from the department of Philosophy is no more

However, this is no moment of lamentation, but of action - conscious action. A meeting of which I participated was summoned by the timely intervention of the faculty of Arts president at the Students' Union parliamentary hall, some hours before the end of yesterday. While the leadership of the Students' Union embarrassingly doubted the turnout of the students should a call for mobilization was echoed and then insisted that every students' reaction against the murder should be suspended till Tuesday, the students of the Faculty of Arts, led by the Faculty president, rejected such an unfounded position. This however spurred a loud disagreement. But finally, it was resolved that, by today, there shall be a Media Address by the Students' Union president and the Faculty of Arts president, while the general students shall be duly mobilized in free buses down to the media houses in solidarity with our slew sister.

With this note, I however encourage the noble students of the University of Benin to stand up in honour of our dear sister to demand the prosecution of the culprit(s), to demand a compensation of the bereaved family and to demand the construction of a pedestrian bridge at the UNIBEN main-gate for the forestall of similar occurrence.

The manslaughter of Miss. Rita is nothing less than a blatant dare of the UNIBEN students, and as a whole, Nigerian students. An injury to one, let no one forget, is an injury to all!

Comrade Sankara. - See more at: http://www.getgripng.com/2015/07/a-heartfelt-message-following-murder-of.html?m=1#sthash.fVH6ztxa.dpuf
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by slickb(m): 6:37am On Jul 20, 2015
rip
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by Kunzu(m): 6:39am On Jul 20, 2015
Am short of words,but I will say RIP
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 20, 2015
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 20, 2015
Just Like PMB said recently . . . Only God Can Protect. R.I.P to the Dead.
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by GentleMimi: 6:52am On Jul 20, 2015
.... . Killed by a drunk soldier. What a shame. The fool proceeds to dent the image of the military. There are gallant soldiers who have laid down lives for the cause, and drunken ones who hv cut short promising lives. I pray that justice is met duly, not swept under the rug of a corrupt judicial system. Kudos to the bold students who refused to be quiet. May her soul rest in peace.
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by Winna01(m): 6:56am On Jul 20, 2015
was it a murder or manslaughter? I dont understand you Nigerians
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by Chibuhealth(f): 6:59am On Jul 20, 2015
I couldn't sleep last night after seeing her dead body. Seriously, uniben supposed to av pedestral crossing... That express is always hot and trust stupid Nigeria drivers, they hardly wait for pedestrians to cross. Mtchewww! Am in pains.. Wat a pretty girl that came to school as me.
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by nkemie: 8:24am On Jul 20, 2015
Even though fighting the man can't bring her soul back, I would still want necessary action be taken against that shameless man. The innocent soul deserves that much.
Rip young soul
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by hatux: 8:38am On Jul 20, 2015
*sighs*
All is well!
RIP to the dead!
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by Syphax(m): 9:08am On Jul 20, 2015
The Nigerian security agencies suck,they like exercising their powers on civillians.

The idiot that killed her will never go unpunished,if Buhari was a good man his will go after the killer.If it was to be GEJ,the likes of Omenka will bash him till eternity,NDI ARA!

They are lucky this shit didn't take place in UNICAL,hell would have been raised.
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by aameyah(f): 11:25am On Jul 20, 2015
I know that first woman. The one eyed dolt behaves like someone who has a loose screw in her head. No one can tell me she is medically fit to be on the police force.
She is living large and just celebrated her 50th birthday after depriving Momodu Ibrahim from celebrating his 30th.

The police force apparently redeployed her to kill the case.

May heaven punish all these killer cops.
Re: A Heartfelt Message; Following The Murder Of UNIBEN Miss Rita Awele by oluwadanie1(m): 1:14pm On Jul 20, 2015
Now this is getting out of hand...

Me thinks a letter addressed to PMB should be made viral clearly stating that 'justice must be served'.

And how about the full details of the soldier that is involved.

*sad*

(1) (Reply)

Drama In Osun School As Students Show Up In Choir Robes And Religious Garments / UNILAG Released Supplementary Admission List / University Of Brunei Darussalam Knowledge Test For Master Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.