Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,751 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? (3695 Views)

The Story Of Jesus: A Plagiarized Lie Christians Need To Stop Believing. / Marriage Conditions For RCCG Members, House Of David / How Is Jesus' Death A Sacrifice If He Rose From The Dead ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by Scholar8200(m): 7:04pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
McSterlin very correct, there are in fact up 50 of these gospels written. . . The ones that made it in the bible are called Synoptic gospels while the ones left out are called Gnostic gospels of which Gnostic christians and churches still make use of some of these texts too. . Many catholic Oral tradition developed from the Gnostic gospels like Mary being born without sin, The parent of Mary being Joachin and Anna and so on

If I consider the definition of Gnosticism from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gnosticism as:

: the thought and practice especially of[b] various cults of late pre-Christian[/b] and early Christian centuries distinguished by the conviction that matter is evil and that emancipation comes through gnosis;

then I wont be wrong to say that the gnostic movement existed before the Church and ,like other false groups have done and are doing, tried to squeeze in the true Gospel, into their teachings! This therefore means we can dispense with their writings (aka 'gospels') as a deceptive, syncretic piece of literary work. Unlike the synoptics and John, the gnostics appear to make claims of which there is no OT declaration or prophesy.
Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by johnydon22(m): 7:16pm On Jul 22, 2015
Scholar8200:

If I consider the definition of Gnosticism from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gnosticism as:

: the thought and practice especially of[b] various cults of late pre-Christian[/b] and early Christian centuries distinguished by the conviction that matter is evil and that emancipation comes through gnosis;

then I wont be wrong to say that the gnostic movement existed before the Church and ,like other false groups have done and are doing, tried to squeeze in the true Gospel, into their teachings! This therefore means we can dispense with their writings (aka 'gospels') as a deceptive, syncretic piece of literary work. Unlike the synoptics and John, the gnostics appear to make claims of which there is no OT declaration or prophesy.

I think i would go with scholarly consensus that Gnostic movement emerged as a reaction to Christian movement incorporating many ancient eastern religious teachings to Christianity. That is why they are called Gnostic christians.

Just like the jewish sects Pharisees and seducees and essens differ in belief and theology. . so too is Orthodox christianity and Gnostic christianity a paralell form of christianity
Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by McSterling(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Scholar8200:
Luke's scope of study as stated in the introduction suggests his focus was to be more on what Theophilus had already believed- the life and teachings of Jesus - hence quickly brushing through such prefatory aspects might be pardonable.

Luke 1:3,4

3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

I am persuaded that the highlighted may not concern as much issues as Mary's father or how old she was or how they had to go to Egypt etc
OK

Jesus appeared more than once to the disciples.
Maybe I didn't phrase that well. I mean, Where did Jesus ask them to meet him? Where was he taken up to heaven: Galilee or Bethany? Matthew says Galilee. Luke says Bethany( a few miles from Jerusalem). John alone talks of multiple appearances.
Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by McSterling(m): 7:58pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
And you know the names the gospels bear are all later additions to it. . . . All the 50 gospels vary in timeline as well as content, individual perception and ideas
Yes, the gospels are anonymous. Those names were later attached probably to give them authority.
Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by Scholar8200(m): 8:05pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
I think i would go with scholarly consensus that Gnostic movement emerged as a reaction to Christian movement incorporating many ancient eastern religious teachings to Christianity. That is why they are called Gnostic christians.
Since this is so, then it further reinforces the fact that the Gnostic 'gospels' was syncretic and deceptive! {I perceive this action of 'stealing from Christianity' is what gave rise to horus and other personalities who, being Jacob (in the sense of being usurpers) , try to cover themselves with the wool of the Lamb (Jesus Christ)! Meaning they already existed before but later incorporated features of the Truth in order to retain adherents! In fact, Paul's epistle to the Colossians was a rebuttal to the lies of gnosticism being offered, by its exponents, to the believers in Colosse. }

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by johnydon22(m): 8:16pm On Jul 22, 2015
Scholar8200:
Since this is so, then it further reinforces the fact that the Gnostic 'gospels' was syncretic and deceptive! {I perceive this action of 'stealing from Christianity' is what gave rise to horus and other personalities who, being Jacob (in the sense of being usurpers) , try to cover themselves with the wool of the Lamb (Jesus Christ)! Meaning they already existed before but later incorporated features of the Truth in order to retain adherents! In fact, Paul's epistle to the Colossians was a rebuttal to the lies of gnosticism being offered, by its exponents, to the believers in Colosse. }
If by horus you are in anyway referring to the egyptian God then you are dead wrong. . .Horus is an ancient egyptian concept and in no way a product of christianity rather one can discern the christian conept borrowed from it because it predates the christian concept with a huge margin.

Most The gospels regarded gnostics are in no way all materials of gnostic writings, most of them have background from second generation christians just like the other gospels you have in the bible e.g The gospel of Thomas.

The exclusion of these gospels in the canonical christian book collection is what relegates them to being referred to as Gnostic write ups .

There are mostly regarded as the new testament deutrocanonical books. . . Gnostic movements became imminent in 2century AD.
Orthodox and Gnostic Christianity still remains paralell lines and all partakes wholesomely from the same fable
Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by Scholar8200(m): 8:48pm On Jul 22, 2015
johnydon22:
If by horus you are in anyway referring to the egyptian God then you are dead wrong. . .Horus is an ancient egyptian concept and in no way a product of christianity rather one can discern the christian conept borrowed from it because it predates the christian concept with a huge margin.
Exactly! Just like the extant gnostic teachings, this (horus/osiris/isis/semiramis) also existed (Nimrod started it all; his death gave rise to the drama by Semiramis his wife and Tammuz ) but the semblances to Christ were later incorporations (the pre-christian gnostics did it afterall). The questions engendered by their action ( see this thread: Horus is not Jesus Christ And can Never Be)still solicits for answers.

Most The gospels regarded gnostics are in no way all materials of gnostic writings, most of them have background from second generation christians just like the other gospels you have in the bible e.g The gospel of Thomas.
But you said they incorporated some Christian teachings to Ancient eastern beliefs which I guess was attributable to those that Merriam-webster pointed out were of the pre-christian era.

The exclusion of these gospels in the canonical christian book collection is what relegates them to being referred to as Gnostic write ups .

There are mostly regarded as the new testament deutrocanonical books. . . Gnostic movements became imminent in 2century AD.
Orthodox and Gnostic Christianity still remains paralell lines and all partakes wholesomely from the same fable [/i][/b]
Parallel lines with no interception in substance no matter how many inscriptions of the form they incorporate!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Is Jesus A Descendant Of David? by johnydon22(m): 9:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
Scholar8200:
Exactly! Just like the extant gnostic teachings, this (horus/osiris/isis/semiramis) also existed but the semblances to Christ were later incorporations (the pre-christian gnostics did it afterall). The questions engendered by their action ( see this thread: Horus is not Jesus Christ And can Never Be)still solicits for answers.
Lol not at all, comparative similarity exist in various religions and these similarities were in no way later additions.
E.g: The ressurrection of Osiris has been a popular ancient egyptian myth even before the emergence of judaism talk more of christianity...

The Gnostic gospel of philip likened the Trinity as father, mother and son depicting the egptian concept of Osiris, isis and horus...which have been an ancient egyptian concept and not a later addition to egyptian mythology.

The comparative similarities in christianity found in many egyptian mythologies were not later additions on the part of the egyptian religion and myth but rather is on the part of the christian write ups.

The Jesus is not horus thread is absolutely unecessary because there is no way Horus is Jesus, both are distinct characters with comparative similiarities within the myths

But you said they incorporated some Christian teachings to Ancient eastern beliefs which I guess was attributable to those that Merriam-webster pointed out were of the pre-christian era.
I said MOST (and am sure "most" means not all) of the Gnostic gospels are not really gnostic write ups, speaking of real gnostic gospels incorporated with ancient eastern beliefs like i rightly asserted, then the Gospel of philip comes to mind. . . Other gnostic gospels like the gospel of thomas are of the same background with their counter part synoptic gospels.

Parallel lines with no interception in substance no matter how many inscriptions of the form they incorporate!
Parallel in the sense of catholic/pentecostal parallelism...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Did GOD Create Satan / Freethinkers How Do You Manage Living In A Country That Believes In Superstition / Living Faith Church Members Aka Winners Chapel Lets Meet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.