Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,967 members, 7,814,262 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 (2705 Views)

Notorious Robber Found Dead In Liberia In Pool Of Blood With His Hands Tied / Izuchukwu Ezimoha Who Was Executed In Indonesia Buried In Ihiala, Anambra - Pics / Lawrence Anini: Life And Death Of Nigeria’s Most Notorious Armed Robber (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by MinisterPelumi(m): 8:03pm On Jul 20, 2015

Lawrence Nomanyagbon Anini, Nigeria’s most notorious armed robber, was born sometime in 1960. He terrorised the old Bendel State, especially its capital, Benin City in the 1980s. By 1986, his robbery exploits had reached such a terrible level that it became a national issue. He operated along with his lieutenant, Monday Osunbor, and others.

However, one striking feature in the Anini reign of terror was police complicity. It was soon discovered that the Anini gang had insiders within the Police hierarchy George Iyamu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, was their arrowhead.The complicity of the police is believed to have enhanced Anini’s reign of terror in 1986.

Early that year, two members of his gang were prosecuted over an earlier under-the-table ‘agreement’ with the Police to destroy evidence against the gang members. The incident, and Anini’s view of Police betrayal, is believed to have spurred retaliatory actions by Anini. In August, 1986, a bank robbery linked to Anini was reported in which a police officer and others were killed. That same month, two officers on duty were shot at a barricade while trying to stop Anini’s car.

During a span of three months, he was known to have killed nine police officers.In an operation in August of 1986, the Anini team struck at First Bank, Sabongida-Ora, where they carted away N2, 000. But although the amount stolen was seen as chicken feed, they left the scene with a trail of blood.

Worried by the seeming delusiveness of Anini and his gang members, the military President, General Ibrahim Babangida then ordered a massive manhunt for the kingpin and his fellow robbers. The police thus went after them; combed every part of Bendel State where they were reportedly operating and living. The whole nation was gripped with fear of the robbers and their daredevil exploits.

Finally, it took the courage of Superintendent of Police, Kayode Uanreroro to bring the Anini reign of terror to an end. On December 3, 1986, Uanreroro caught Anini at No 26, Oyemwosa Street, opposite Iguodala Primary School, Benin City, in company with six women. Acting on a tip-off from the locals, the policeman went straight to the house where Anini was hiding and apprehended him with very little resistance.

Uanreroro led a crack 10-man team to the house, knocked on the door of the room, and Anini himself, clad in underpants, opened the door. “Where is Anini,” the police officer quickly enquired. Dazed as he was caught off guard and having no escape route, Anini all the same tried to be smart. “Oh, Anini is under the bed in the inner room”.

As he said it, he made some moves to walk past Uanreroro and his team. Uanreroro promptly reached for his gun, stepped hard on Anini’s right toes and shot at his left ankle. Anini surged forward but the policemen took hold of him and put him in a sitting position. They then pumped more bullets into his shot leg and almost severed the ankle from his entire leg.
Already, anguished by the excruciating pains, the policemen asked him, “Are you Anini?” And he replied, “My brother, I won’t deceive you; I won’t tell you lie, I’m Anini.”

Read past the comments below for complete detail...
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
Hmmmm I wasn't born by then,heard that he is very deadly thou he uses charm to fortify himself

1 Like

Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by bright007(f): 8:09pm On Jul 20, 2015
undecided
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by tobillionaire(m): 8:11pm On Jul 20, 2015
hw many ar they cool
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by jamex93(m): 8:14pm On Jul 20, 2015
Anini the criminal
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by beeblah(m): 8:16pm On Jul 20, 2015
wu among, or is he all four
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by MinisterPelumi(m): 8:16pm On Jul 20, 2015
tobillionaire:
hw many ar they cool
full details coming in 5
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
Hmmmm I wasn't born by then,heard that he is very deadly thou he uses charm to fortify himself

Come sit my daughter let me tell you d story of anini

once upon a time...........

1 Like

Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by osaslord500(m): 8:22pm On Jul 20, 2015
And the guy na correct guy oo.
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

hehhehehehe your daughter? U wish
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by SwaGUnLimiTeD(m): 8:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
MEN THAT ANINI DULL SHA Y EN NO JUST FINISH THE LIE
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by MinisterPelumi(m): 8:28pm On Jul 20, 2015
He was from there taken to the police command headquarters where the state’s Police Commissioner, Parry Osayande, was waiting. While in the police net, Anini who had poor command of English and could only communicate in pidgin, made a whole lot of revelations.

He disclosed, for instance that Osunbor, who had been arrested earlier, was his deputy, saying that Osunbor actually shot and wounded the former police boss of the state, Akagbosu The robbery suspects, including Iyamu, were sentenced to death.

But in passing his judgement, Justice Omo-Agege remarked, “Anini will forever be remembered in the history of crime in this country, but it would be of unblessed memory. Few people if ever, would give the name to their children.” Their execution took place on March 29, 1987.

note: the story was a result of search engine (Google)especially from this website
aprokonews.com/throw-back-photo-read-how-nigerias-most-notorious-robber-anini-was-caught-and-executed-in-1987/
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 8:32pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:

Hmmmmm my daughter, i can only wish i wasnt born dos yrs wen anini was terrorising our community..........
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Yustash001(m): 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
Anini....The law...
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

Hmmmmm my daughter, i can only wish i wasnt born dos yrs wen anini was terrorising our community..........
lolzz ..........
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 8:49pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
lolzz ..........
tongue tongue tongue
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

tongue tongue tongue
u are disrespecting me........... Ur grandmother tongue
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by pillzthadrugz(m): 9:22pm On Jul 20, 2015
Philanthropic robber.
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 9:36pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
u are disrespecting me........... Ur grandmother tongue

d last tyme we went out 2geda do u rememba wat dat man said at d mall?

"hi u got a pretty grand daughter"
den he compesated u choclate.
now u gut here nd u claiming grandma, fada ll 4giv u tongue tongue
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

d last tyme we went out 2geda do u rememba wat dat man said at d mall?

"hi u got a pretty grand daughter"
den he compesated u choclate.
now u gut here nd u claiming grandma, fada ll 4giv u tongue tongue
Lmao,fada forgives us all grin
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 9:48pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
Lmao,fada forgives us all grin
amen
nd by d way u said u wer gonna show up today. y did u change ur mind
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

amen
grandpa I was sooo busy today,.... Promise to see u soon,btw should I get you a snuff?
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

amen
grandpa I was sooo busy today,.... Promise to see u soon,btw should I get you a snuff or local gin?
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Tolzeal(m): 9:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
Was Only Thinking DR OYENUSI has been the Notorious One
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 10:15pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
grandpa I was sooo busy today,.... Promise to see u soon,btw should I get you a snuff or local gin?

u sure kno wat grandpa likes, nd pls dont 4get to get a plate of isi ewu
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

u sure kno wat grandpa likes, nd pls dont 4get to get a plate of isi ewu
awww!wat kind of grandpa is this?isi-ewu for which teeth abeg?Lmao grandpa's don't eat isi-ewu leave it for ur grandchildren cheesy
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 10:27pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
awww!wat kind of grandpa is this?isi-ewu for which teeth abeg?Lmao grandpa's don't eat isi-ewu leave it for ur grandchildren cheesy

no be only grand pikin sabi chop betta tin naaa grin
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

no be only grand pikin sabi chop betta tin naaa grin
ok I will get it for you,becos I want my grandpa to be as fresh as spinach leave
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 10:39pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
ok I will get it for you,becos I want my grandpa to be as fresh as spinach leave

wat a wonderful grand daughter i av in u kiss kiss
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 20, 2015
adedayourt:

wat a wonderful grand daughter i av in u kiss kiss
cool
Re: Ph0t0: How Nigeria’s Most Notorious Robber, Anini Was Executed In 1987 by adedayourt(m): 11:06pm On Jul 20, 2015
onomeglo:
cool

nd wat are u stil doin awake at dis nite of d nite, oya com sleep on grandpa's leg let mi sing fr u til u doz off

(1) (2) (Reply)

Efcc Arrests Undergraduates Of Futa For Internet Fraud / More Graphic Images Of The 16yrs Old Mexican Killed In A Duel With The Police. / I'm Under Attack! I'm Currently In Enugu. Pls Pray For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.