Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. (1148 Views)

Have You Seen The Nigerian LovePeddler / Because Of The Nigerian Factor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by joseph1832(m): 8:23am On Jul 21, 2015
Behold I've seen wonders,
Wonders as ancient
As the Seven Wonders.

I look upon the Pyramids and see a nation fallen from its glory, bathed in a religion as foreign as the use of hieroglyphs, wearing the motto of 'Homo Homini Lupus Est', and shunning everything that made it once, 'the cradle of civilization'.

The Hanging Gardens have so much lost its beauty, shrouded by shrubs from tribes who allowed their minds to be heated by schism, overrun by deserts of dictators and replaced with green men who grin at their pockets even at the detriment of their own.

I look upon The Statue of Zeus and no longer am I magnified by the magnificence of such edifice, but appalled to see such edifice seeking bail out from harsh economic conditions, thus, making it willing to sell its soul to a Union that is as dis united as the United Nations but feign united to unite lesser edifice, thus, making them her slave.

Behold I've seen wonders,
Wonders as ancient
As the Seven Wonders.

*Inspired by Langston Hughs 'The Negro Speaks Of Rivers'.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by joseph1832(m): 8:24am On Jul 21, 2015
ANALYSIS OF THE POEM

PLOT: The plot is centered around the three wonders of the ancient world as applied to modern day countries of the world, that were once super powers, who held the world spell bound with there astonishing edifice that stood the test of time, but these ancient wonders of the world in modern day, have fallen from their glory because of external and internal influences that bothers on the very nature of man.

The poet personae used three ancient wonders of the world in the poem, that is, The Pyramid of Giza, The Hanging Gardens of Babylon and The Stature of Zeus to represent the following countries which these ancient wonders were built, that is Egypt, Iraq and Greece. The poet personae draws the readers attention to the undesirable state these countries are in, along with the many troubles plaguing these countries, from harsh economic conditions, to religious extremism/terrorism and the high handedness of dictators....

STRUCTURE OF THE POEM: The poem consist 22 lines of five stanzas, where the first and last stanzas are written in tercet, and stanzas two, three and four is written in prosaic form.

The poem can be said to be a free verse poem with no particular rhyme scheme, expect for the flow used in the second, third and fourth stanzas with is written in prosaic form.

The poem can be said to be poetry prose because it is written in this manner, based on the perception of the poet personae. Stanzas one and five as well as stanzas two, three and four bear testament to that.

POETIC DEVICES.

Simile: Used in stanzas 1 and 5, lines 2 and 3 and lines 21 and 22. "Wonders as ancient as the seven wonders".

Metaphor: Used in the 3rd stanza, line 12 "Green men who grin at their pockets", meaning men who smile to the bank after looting and plundering the country.

Repetition: Used in the first and last stanza of the poem, that is the stanzas written in tercets.

Understatement: As seen in the third stanza of the poem, line 11, "deserts of dictators".

Alliteration: As seen in the 3rd stanza, line 10 "shrouded by shrubs from tribes" and the 4th stanza, lines 14 and 15, "magnified by the magnificence of such edifice".

Antonomasia: Used in the 2nd stanza, lines 7 and 7, "the cradle of civilization". Often use to refer to Egypt.

Personification: Used in lines 7, stanza 2, "wearing the motto of homo homini lupus est".

Diction: The vocabulary used by the poet personae is simple and easy for the reader to decipher. The poet made use of the word "wonders" to draw the readers attention to the pitiable state the three ancient wonders are in.

Tone/Mood: The tone/mood used is that of pity and sorrow.

THEME
Sorrow
Pity
Disappointment.
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:41am On Jul 21, 2015
This seems weed inspired grin

Or maybe I'm high.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by joseph1832(m): 9:52am On Jul 21, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Or maybe I'm high.
I believe you're high! Not from weed, but from paraga tongue
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:59am On Jul 21, 2015
joseph1832:
I believe you're high! Not from weed, but from paraga tongue

Orijin is my preferred poison. cool
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by joseph1832(m): 10:15am On Jul 21, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Orijin is my preferred poison. cool
Orijin mixed with weed right? And left to ferment for 2 weeks.

Marvelous!.
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:21am On Jul 21, 2015
joseph1832:
Orijin mixed with weed right? And left to ferment for 2 weeks.

Marvelous!.

Orijin and weed? Na madness be dat.
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by joseph1832(m): 4:31pm On Jul 21, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Orijin and weed? Na madness be dat.
LMAO.
Timpaker OMA4U.
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by timpaker(m): 4:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
HEheheheheheheh. Nice prose. cool

I must confess the fourth paragraph had me thinking about my darling Greece.
I pray Nigeria never get to that level.
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by joseph1832(m): 4:55pm On Jul 21, 2015
timpaker:
HEheheheheheheh. Nice prose. cool

I must confess the fourth paragraph had me thinking about my darling Greece.
I pray Nigeria never get to that level.
Yep!. Its Greece alright!. Nigeria can't get to that level because we operate a parallel economy.
Re: The Nigerian Speak Of Wonders. by joseph1832(m): 1:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
AllNaijaBlogger:

Or maybe I'm high.
So, do you still think its weed inspired?
Cc: Timpaker

(1) (Reply)

My Love Is Like. . . / My Oga At The Top / Don't Say You Love Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.