Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,920 members, 7,814,101 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye (12440 Views)

...STRANGER THINGS.... / To Plan Marriage With A Stranger / The Agony Of An Identical Twins By Ajiboye Seyi Samson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by safarigirl(f): 11:03pm On Jul 21, 2015
I got this link on twitter and I feel the message in it is worth sharing:

LETTER TO A STRANGER

Dear Stranger,

I write to you because I need someone to talk to. My friends don’t understand me and my parents have no clue about my battle with loneliness and depression. They see the skinny boy who loves to read and enjoys the fine things of life. They see my smile and hear the raucous laughter that rings out from my room when I watch Everybody Hates Chris, The Cosby Show or when my adorable sister tickles my sides. They see me writhe in pain from time to time when I have a crisis or an ulcer but they are blissfully unaware of the pain etched in my soul. Little do they know that the pain of loneliness, of unfulfilment, of missed chances, of wrong turns, of being hamstrung by ill-health are much more debilitating than the pain of sickle cell crisis, ulcers or pleurisy. Little do they know that deep within me are rivulets of fear. The fear that I’m not good enough, that I may not live up to expectations and that I may never break the yoke of poverty gives me a frightful headache.

On most days, I feel so alone. I pick up my phone and scroll through my contacts looking for someone to call but everyone seems so busy living lives and chasing their dreams I often drop my phone in despair. Why I ask, why am I trapped in this quicksand of pain and misery? Why was so much potential and ability deposited in a skinny kid who has to stop to catch his breath after every little exertion? Why do I constantly feel that I’d be better off dead than alive? Why and is there any truth in the saying that “A living dog is better than a dead lion?” Aren't the dead supposed to be blissfully at sleep? Why do we reckon that a dog whose life seems to be a nauseating, never-ending potpourri of Yo-yo bitters, Epsom salts, Mist Alba and Rhubarb be deemed better than a dead lion who had a never-ending supply of fresh meat in his lifetime?

On most days, I take a long stroll wondering if life will ever alter drastically in my favor. Will fortune ever smile on me or am I condemned to eke out a miserable existence in this place? Last month, I saw my dreams in 3D. I want to go there but I’m still here. This isn’t over, I’m in the ring and I’m still standing.

I will write you again.

Written by Hammed Ajiboye
https://medium.com/@HammedAjiboye/letter-to-a-stranger-ff64ad4b13e7?source=tw-cf76fb60ea75-1437495224281

The writer of this beautiful piece died today of sickle cell anaemia. He was trending on twitter.

The sad thing in this message is that there are millions of peope who can relate to his pain, people who have people around them but can't even talk because nobody understands.

I just need everyone reading this to know that no matter what you're going through today, you're not alone. Never allow the world's challenges stop you from achieving your dreams. Hammed was on his way to his until death claimed him. Let his story be an inspiration to us all.

#RIPHammed

74 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Flashh: 11:17pm On Jul 21, 2015
The boy was just too lonely, loneliness is also part of his death.

RIP.

10 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 21, 2015
shocked cry cry RIP Hamed

2 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by DankemzI(m): 11:18pm On Jul 21, 2015
So touched.....
How I wish I can donate 5years of my life to him!

15 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by superior1: 11:18pm On Jul 21, 2015
Learnt the author is no more, RIP to the dead

3 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Richie0974: 11:18pm On Jul 21, 2015
The part of 'picking the phone and nobody 2 call' I used 2 feel like that 2 until I decided wats life without some fun if there's no friend u can make some.... u go out there and make other friends.... Easiest way SOCCER....

RIP 2 him

9 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 21, 2015
Muslims don mk us 4get say death is painful

because d way dey enjoy dying by bomb blast u'll envy them thinking theirs greater things beyond the earth

RIP bro

painful

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by kazmanbanjoko(m): 11:19pm On Jul 21, 2015
hmmn. this is tragedically tragedicious.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Adaahjacob(m): 11:19pm On Jul 21, 2015
How I wish I can steal some ppl's space on nairaland, learn how to book using aero or arik.
#Respect though
May we live long to see our grand children folks.
RIP homie.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 21, 2015
Deep thoughts

2 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by oneitalia: 11:20pm On Jul 21, 2015
RIP Hammed..

1 Like

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by usmanspihn(m): 11:20pm On Jul 21, 2015
Wow may his soul rest in perfect peace

2 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by goshen26: 11:22pm On Jul 21, 2015
RIP
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by jamex93(m): 11:22pm On Jul 21, 2015
I cant stand reading al these .... So so toching

1 Like

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by yibobasher2: 11:22pm On Jul 21, 2015
A lovely poetic peace by a beautiful soul. Surely you as a dead lion has influenced the world more than some living dogs.

RIP beautiful soul

5 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by xdunamis(m): 11:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
Really
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Caracta(f): 11:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
So sad

Rest well.
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Tundeiab(m): 11:25pm On Jul 21, 2015
May your gentle soul rest in perfect peace in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by armadeo(m): 11:25pm On Jul 21, 2015
now this is deep.

RIP man i know you are in a better place.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by obowunmi(m): 11:25pm On Jul 21, 2015
I hate to be insensitive. Wicked parents both with sickle cell decided to get married and have kids.

5 Likes

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Amoshie(m): 11:26pm On Jul 21, 2015
The story is very touching. Let your living be a blessing to someone's else. Don't wait for them to come to you before you offer to comfort them. Look out for people who are in need, offer them what you have (kindness) and He that is above will certainly look out for you.
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by donifez(m): 11:27pm On Jul 21, 2015
So touching.
R.I.P lad
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by djblue007(m): 11:27pm On Jul 21, 2015
Rip, bro!
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by 20bc(m): 11:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
RIP cry
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by cnwokike(m): 11:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
He knew he will soon be going. May his soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by DJEhimond(m): 11:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
Touched mmeeehn!
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Sobeautiful: 11:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
OMG!!! Short of what to say. So soooooo sorry. Rest in the Lord's bossom where no sickness nor pain can touch you. Chei!!! Hhmmmm!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
to many out there, take this as a challenge. he might be dead but his article just inspired me. Rip bro.
am not an ss mind yhu. but anybody can die anytime yhu only have this time. think twice reader.
Re: Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 21, 2015
Really touching story...but this wouldn't stop some couples with incompatible genotypes from falling in'love' and produce more of Hammed Ajiboyes from coming into this world to suffer..

I even know medical doctor couples with children with sickle cell disease despite enormous information at their disposal !

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Legend Of Ikogosi / My Spiritual Wife / Chimamanda Adichie Receives Duke University Honorary Degree In Durham (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.