Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,525 members, 7,823,284 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? (1914 Views)

Nigeria@57: Happy Independence Day Messages, Quotes, Poems / How Many Poems Are Ideal For An Anthology? / {gandhi Jayanti Kavita} Gandhi Jayanti Kavita, Gandhi Jayanti Poem, Hindi Poems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:45am On Jul 22, 2015
Have you ever met someone that is so overconfident that the person doesn't realise that he or she is doing nonsense?

Well, I have a friend who claims to be a poet but her poems are nonsense. I have been nice enough to smile and lie that the poems are of good quality but I cant take it. She keeps emailing me crap.

Here is an example-

Life is bonkers
I came I saw, I conquered
Yes i am
Stubborn like a ram
That I am
My name is Pam

I like the rain
The rain likes me
So I make tea
Bees make honey
Good for my tummy.

^^^
This is supposed to be an adult writing mature poems not nursery rhymes that sound written by an slowpoke!!!
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:46am On Jul 22, 2015
Joseph1832, I need your help!
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
Have you ever met someone that is so overconfident that the person doesn't realise that he or she is doing nonsense?

Well, I have a friend who claims to be a poet but her poems are nonsense. I have been nice enough to smile and lie that the poems are of good quality but I cant take it. She keeps emailing me crap.

Here is an example-

Life is bonkers
Yes i am
Stubborn like a ram
That I am
My name is Pam

I like the rain
The rain likes me
So I make tea
Bees make honey
Good for my tummy.

^^^
This is supposed to be an adult writing mature poems not nursery rhymes that sound written by an slowpoke!!!

hahahahahhhhhh..I honestly can't stop laughing. first ur title is funny and then ur friend poem is too childish.

I think u should tell her that, tell her her poems aren't bad but r too childish.

1 Like

Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by joseph1832(m): 11:31am On Jul 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
Joseph1832, I need your help!
Em why on Earth would you need my help? Surely I don't have 'helper written on my forehead". Lol.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by joseph1832(m): 11:34am On Jul 22, 2015
Mattkent:

hahahahahhhhhh..I honestly can't stop laughing. first ur title is funny and then ur friend poem is too childish.

I think u should tell her that, tell her her poems aren't bad but r too childish.
Actually I wouldn't say her poem is childish. It has a little bit of insight in it.

Never forget, the beauty of poetry is not easily understood by all. That's why we always make use of analysis.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:59am On Jul 22, 2015
joseph1832:
Actually I wouldn't say her poem is childish. It has a little bit of insight in it.

Never forget, the beauty of poetry is not easily understood by all. That's why we always make use of analysis.

Bro, I have seen your poems. Even your simplest ones can not be compared to her best ones. She's that bad.

There is nothing to analyse.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by joseph1832(m): 12:01pm On Jul 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Bro, I have seen your poems. Even your simplest ones can not be compared to her best ones. She's that bad.

Everybody needs time bro. The more she writes the better she becomes...
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by HDoc(m): 12:14pm On Jul 22, 2015
Just tell her wat u tink(d truth).
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:26pm On Jul 22, 2015
Mattkent:

I see grin grin
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by stuff46(m): 3:03pm On Jul 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Here is an example-

Life is bonkers
Yes i am
Stubborn like a ram
That I am
My name is Pam

I like the rain
The rain likes me
So I make tea
Bees make honey
Good for my tummy.

^^^

After reading, don't comment. As easy as that
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by ApexTitan(m): 3:46pm On Jul 22, 2015
grin

Tell your friend her poems are more like limericks, she is focused only on the rhyme scheme so much so that there is no meaning.

Hard to say directly? Just tell her that you showed her work to some people and that's what they thought and you agree with them.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by Ishilove: 8:32pm On Jul 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Here is an example-

Life is bonkers
Yes i am
Stubborn like a ram
That I am
My name is Pam

I like the rain
The rain likes me
So I make tea
Bees make honey
Good for my tummy.

^^^
Lol. Use tact and diplomacy. Or better still, recommend poems from the masters like TS Elliot, Wole Soyinka, Yao Egbelewogbe. JP Clark and co. Tell the person to read thier poems and tell you what they think. Unconsciously, your friend will begin to adjust.

If all else fails, buy her A Selection of African Poetry and shove her face into it if she refuses to cooperate. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by Ishilove: 8:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
ApexTitan:
grin

Tell your friend her poems are more like limericks, she is focused only on the rhyme scheme so much so that there is no meaning.

Hard to say directly? Just tell her that you showed her work to some people and that's what they thought and you agree with them.
OP, you can also follow this advise grin
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by tpiadotcom: 11:17pm On Jul 22, 2015
Why do you feel her poems are rubbish?

You should find what genre they fit into, rather than saying such.

You are not giving constructive criticism at all, a good writer or reviewer is expected to be able to do that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by tpiadotcom: 11:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Your reason for this blanket statement is because you dont like her poems?

Nairalanders and ass kissing sef, too half baked.

Very counterproductive.

In any case, she needs to stop sending you her work, seems you are motivated by jealousy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by OMA4U(m): 11:57pm On Jul 22, 2015
Ishilove:

Lol. Use tact and diplomacy. Or better still, recommend poems from the masters like TS Elliot, Wole Soyinka, Yao Egbelewogbe. JP Clark and co. Tell the person to read thier poems and tell you what they think. Unconsciously, your friend will begin to adjust.

If all else fails, buy her A Selection of African Poetry and shove her face into it if she refuses to cooperate. grin grin
Best advise, OP.

Every master starts out as amateur.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:09am On Jul 23, 2015
stuff46:

After reading, don't comment. As easy as that

Not so easy when you are emailed with the poems continously and asked to review them.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:11am On Jul 23, 2015
ApexTitan:
grin

Ishilove:

Thanks!! I have been seriously wondering how to go about telling her. Ur advice might work!
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:11am On Jul 23, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Very counterproductive.

In any case, she needs to stop sending you her work, seems you are motivated by jealousy.

Waka pass................ undecided

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by Warlord3000(m): 6:17am On Jul 23, 2015
Lwkmd for here ooo cheesy

Why not just say it to her face or be ready to face a lifetime of such torture cheesy

Next time... Read her "poems" as comic and not just the usual poetry note..

And you might just survive it wink

PS: The poem made me laugh out loud sha cheesy
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by Rilwayne001: 6:58am On Jul 23, 2015
Lmao
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by webincomeplus(m): 7:13am On Jul 23, 2015
OP, tell her to post her poems on NL, where people can review them and tell her their opinions.

When she starts receiving the bashes on NL, she'll either start writing sensible poems or quit the scene altogether.

Being a poet isn't an obligation.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 23, 2015
There is something called Constructive criticism, I think u need to apply that when assessing her poems.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by jaybee3(m): 7:49am On Jul 23, 2015
Adufetohposh:
There is something called Constructive criticism, I think u need to apply that when assessing her poems.

What if being poetic and having the ability to comment on poems isn't one of his/her forte, shouldn't honest feedback suffice ?
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by amiluv4u(f): 11:48am On Jul 23, 2015
Its funny but truth is since the girl,can construct english it simply means she not an illiterate to tell her,her work isnt close to a poem commend her alittle and then criticisze the work
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by tpiadotcom: 3:48pm On Jul 23, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Waka pass................ undecided

you do the same .
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by tpiadotcom: 3:49pm On Jul 23, 2015
jaybee3:

What if being poetic and having the ability to comment on poems isn't one of his/her forte, shouldn't honest feedback suffice ?

this is not honest feedback, this is jealousy and bad belle.

plus unecessary butt kissing.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by tpiadotcom: 3:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
The mod on the thread was supposed to modify the title?
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by tpiadotcom: 3:52pm On Jul 23, 2015
webincomeplus:
OP, tell her to post her poems on NL, where people can review them and tell her their opinions.

When she starts receiving the bashes on NL, she'll either start writing sensible poems or quit the scene altogether.

Being a poet isn't an obligation.

what is wrong with you people?

What do you mean by "sensible poems"?

Why not go to rap section and tell them to start writing "sensible poems" ?

What do you find so terrifying about freedom of expression?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by tpiadotcom: 3:53pm On Jul 23, 2015
Who is the girl sef?

See the kind of people you are moving with?
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:27pm On Jul 23, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Very counterproductive.

Waka pass...your bad belle is not needed here.
Re: Please, How Do I Tell Someone That Her Poems Are Rubbish? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2015
Ishilove:

You nailed it bro cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Mermaid With A Golden Voice ( Episode 1) / Death Was Celebrated- The Abagana Ambush(a Poem) / A. N*A*K*E*D TALE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.