Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,475 members, 7,823,104 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. (1110 Views)

Webmasters Please Come In And Help!! / Nijloaded.wapka.mobi : Wapmaster Come In And Help / Drop Any Question Regarding Adsense Approval. I Will Try And Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by databoy247(m): 3:01am On Jul 23, 2015
I and my team have been working super hard to create lasting impression while making clients happy has been our number one priority. Alot of people have been defrauded online by scrupulous fellows claiming to be able to deliver a service or sell a product. This has obviously stamped a boldly spelled caution on the minds of potential clients and customers. I feel for them.

So, we came up with a model of payment on delivery. This means i spend my money to setup your website for you (and other services), then you pay when it is ready and you can see it live. I came up with this because clients are scared to make payments because of the fear of being defrauded. Some people told me i am taking risks....but what is business without risk?

To a large extent, i am credible here on nairaland and it takes hard work and legit business to attain such credibility. But just to make some doubting Thomases happy, i say "let me build the website at my own expenses without collecting a dime and when am done you pay up".

Now, the issue is that these clients who are afraid of being defrauded have successfully turned the table around and now defraud us legit businessmen. The average domain name costs close to N3,000 (with the spike in exchange rates) not including web hosting which attracts its own fees.

I spend my own money and push my team hard to get these websites up and ready, but after its ready, the so-called clients start generating a thousand excuses why they cant pay up. From am busy, to i don't have chance to go over to the bank, until they eventually stop picking your calls.

After trying for days and weeks to get paid (unfruitful), the next option is to pull down the website. But even if that is done, you still lose money (the initial cost incurred setting it up). The questions are;

Why order for a website when you know you don't have the money to pay?

Why do you keep making excuses not to pay up when you know the developer is running a business? For heaven's sake i have people that work with me whom i must pay at the end of the month. I have an office that must be operational everyday. Real businessmen should know what it costs running an office on a daily basis.

No matter how hard you try to please Nigerians, they always look for a way to disappoint you. They enjoy doing that. This wont deter me from working for the serious clients, but a stricter approach is needed.

My payment on deliver model is good for serious people who want to do serious business BUT for those that keep wasting my time, resources and money, how do i detect them? What measures do i employ to ensure i get paid when i deliver a work?

My brain is about to explode from thoughts. So, if you have any ideas, am all ears. Because am truly fed up. angry
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by naijainfogalery: 3:13am On Jul 23, 2015
A wise man once told me if you are good at something never do it for free, if someone after seeing your website or office cant trust you the person should go to hell. Never design of you haven't gotten part payment to cover for the initial domain and host. I wonder why people even beg clients sometimes to come and design a website over desperation doesn't make peow trust you

5 Likes

Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 23, 2015
Though that was a good plan initialy, but since you have found out that method won't work for you, then stop doing it for free. Create a standard for your business. Goodluck in your endeavour!
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by Warlord3000(m): 5:09am On Jul 23, 2015
60 percent up front ... 40 percent afterward ms hardly fails...

If total cost is 3k and he already dropped 1,800 for you..

Trust Nigerians.. They will find the 1,200 balance one way or another cos they hate losing a dime..

Works for me in any business

3 Likes

Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by thewebcraft(m): 5:11am On Jul 23, 2015
You dont seem to enjage your clients, i.e allowing some of them purchasing their own domain themselves some clients also behave like that when you failed to meet the deadline... I really do like 40% of payment before the job starts just to be sure the client is ready, if not , there's no point...

1 Like

Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by omoelu1(m): 6:29am On Jul 23, 2015
that's a very sad case but I'm glad you said you won't let that deter you.
one truth is, :"a client that is not ready to pay upfront will not pay even after the job is done".
serious customers will always be ready to pay at least a certain percentage of the cost before you, the developer commences work.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by Ben1975(m): 7:03am On Jul 23, 2015
I am sorry for your situation

This is't just a Nigerian issue, it happens everywhere. You will find that clients will respect the work more if they have to pay say 50% up front.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by databoy247(m): 10:17am On Jul 23, 2015
thewebcraft:
You dont seem to enjage your clients, i.e allowing some of them purchasing their own domain themselves some clients also behave like that when you failed to meet the deadline... I really do like 40% of payment before the job starts just to be sure the client is ready, if not , there's no point...

I think i might look into this option. Purchase your domain name/hosting yourself and i do the design and setup. I can afford to risk my time but i dont think i would love to continue risking my money.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by Ben1975(m): 10:40am On Jul 23, 2015
Don't risk your money, it's no a good idea, charging people up front is a way of filtering out whose who are not really interested in purchasing what you are offering. When you offer it for free all that does is invite everybody to a party where as many of those people worldn't have shown up if they were forced to pay 50% up front. Rental companies for example allow people to take then pay later and how much money do you think they to lose each year? Its a sad state of affairs but we cannot be innocent in the world we live in.

databoy247:

I think i might look into this option. Purchase your domain name/hosting yourself and i do the design and setup. I can afford to risk my time but i dont think i would love to continue risking my money.

1 Like

Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by liveyourlife: 11:03am On Jul 23, 2015
databoy247:
I and my team have been working super hard to create lasting impression while making clients happy has been our number one priority. Alot of people have been defrauded online by scrupulous fellows claiming to be able to deliver a service or sell a product. This has obviously stamped a boldly spelled caution on the minds of potential clients and customers. I feel for them.

My brain is about to explode from thoughts. So, if you have any ideas, am all ears. Because am truly fed up. angry

This is exactly what I have been campaigning about. Trust between developers and clients is always a tricky issue. Here is how am solving it. Click here
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by thewebcraft(m): 11:55am On Jul 23, 2015
databoy247:

Yeah it could be domain name only while you host the site on your servers, when payment is made purchase a host and push the files there...
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by yomalex(m): 4:29pm On Jul 23, 2015
At least 40% upfront if you are not ready bye bye
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by databoy247(m): 4:31pm On Jul 23, 2015
Yeah this makes sense. Just like i said earlier, what is business without risk? So if i risk justmy time (and not my money), it aint too bad.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by DualCore1: 4:48pm On Jul 23, 2015
Well, most webhosts offer 30-day money back guaranty. You can get a refund from your webhost if you're still within the 30-day window.

I think I just dropped a stone on my foot.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by bizfirst: 5:17pm On Jul 23, 2015
databoy247:

So, we came up with a model of payment on delivery. This means i spend my money to setup your website for you (and other services), then you pay when it is ready and you can see it live. I came up with this because clients are scared to make payments because of the fear of being defrauded. Some people told me i am taking risks....but what is business without risk?

To a large extent, i am credible here on nairaland and it takes hard work and legit business to attain such credibility. But just to make some doubting Thomases happy, i say "let me build the website at my own expenses without collecting a dime and when am done you pay up".

Now, the issue is that these clients who are afraid of being defrauded have successfully turned the table around and now defraud us legit businessmen. The average domain name costs close to N3,000 (with the spike in exchange rates) not including web hosting which attracts its own fees.

I spend my own money and push my team hard to get these websites up and ready, but after its ready, the so-called clients start generating a thousand excuses why they cant pay up. From am busy, to i don't have chance to go over to the bank, until they eventually stop picking your calls.

After trying for days and weeks to get paid (unfruitful), the next option is to pull down the website. But even if that is done, you still lose money (the initial cost incurred setting it up). The questions are;

Why do you keep making excuses not to pay up when you know the developer is running a business? For heaven's sake i have people that work with me whom i must pay at the end of the month. I have an office that must be operational everyday. Real businessmen should know what it costs running an office on a daily basis.

No matter how hard you try to please Nigerians, they always look for a way to disappoint you. They enjoy doing that. This wont deter me from working for the serious clients, but a stricter approach is needed.

My payment on deliver model is good for serious people who want to do serious business BUT for those that keep wasting my time, resources and money, how do i detect them? What measures do i employ to ensure i get paid when i deliver a work?

DataBoy,

You are a businessman, not a charity organization...FORGET THE PAY ON DELIVERY PATTERN OF DOING CHARITY WORK!

Focus on making the few clients who trust you - and can (and are willing) to pay off-front. Initially, it's going to be tough but as the days go by, more and more Nigerians will flock to you. Don't let the average Nigerian psyche ruin you!

Kindly leave pay on delivery for Jumia and Konga...somehow, they are great at handling the losses arising therefrom...you clearly are not!

1 Like

Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 23, 2015
Well, you should not use such a payment model for your business.

Your clients should be responsible for their domain names and hosting and if they want you to set it up, they pay for that at least.

Not you bearing the full cost!

Even the hosting service you purchased, the hosting company did not provide the domain or Put the website on their server first before collecting money.. did they? grin They collected their cash first wink

1 Like

Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by ps3o(m): 8:17pm On Jul 23, 2015
databoy247:

don't do anything for free or on postpaid!
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by bassdow: 11:35pm On Jul 23, 2015
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by bassdow: 11:37pm On Jul 23, 2015
I once had a client whom I insisted he made an initial 50% part payment which he did. But guess what? After the job went live (online). I started hearing stories upon stories. I was too generous and patient with him for a year before I took down the website. Immediately the site went down, not up to 2 days I got an alert from my bank which was followed with a text message from the client telling me He had just made a payment and that I should reinstate the website. Just to be sure I got the text message, He called me 5 minutes later.

Just imagine what would have happened had it been I followed the "PAY ON DELIVERY" pattern. Even Jumia and Konga are suffering it.
Just like others have adviced, always collect part payment and if you are Ok with them just buying domain and hosting as part of commitment, always make sure you are in charge of the domain and hosting details for the time being.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by Brownhacks(m): 11:16pm On Jul 24, 2015
databoy247:

listen my brother I feel your pain I also train up coming bloggers very cheap but I collect part payments before I start dont do it based on trust as some of them claim. always have a plan b and the complete the full amount before am through. tel them to pay something can be quarter, half amount insists and tel them by paying that you knw they are serious I dey dont then forget it and dont do it.this NIGERIA.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by Brownhacks(m): 11:22pm On Jul 24, 2015
databoy247:

listen my brother I feel your pain I also train up coming bloggers very cheap but I collect part payments before I start dont do it based on trust as some of them claim. always have a plan b so tel them to pay something it can be quarter, half amount insists and tel them by paying that you knw they are serious If they don't pay then forget it and don't do it.this is NIGERIA.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by bigx(m): 6:03am On Jul 30, 2015
Why do free? Free/Cheap clients are always the worst!

If u insist on free don't register any domain, build in folders or let them access the sites via IP ipadress/~username

If they don't pay, sell as a ready made website to a similar company(just small editing) or add to your portfolio, win-win

1 Like

Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by bigx(m): 6:05am On Jul 30, 2015
DualCore1:
Well, most webhosts offer 30-day money back guaranty. You can get a refund from your webhost if you're still within the 30-day window.

I think I just dropped a stone on my foot.

Money back covers domains?
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by databoy247(m): 10:36am On Jul 30, 2015
bigx:

Money back covers domains?

I really would like to know this too.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by DualCore1: 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2015
The coverage of the money back guaranty is usually covered in the terms of service of the host service provider. Each service provider will obviously have their refund policy so it's best to find out from them directly.
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by eworm: 3:04pm On Feb 01, 2016
I was just passing by when i saw this post and decided to comment.

@bigx Money Back don't cover domain, it only cover web hosting services and on web hosting; refunds are make if you have used the services and you are not satisfied and the company decent make any attempt in satisfying you. One of the major thing about web hosting is the uptime. If your website is always online or you haven't used the website at all, how them can you be asking for refund and probably damaging the host company name if they don't? No host company in the world will do that. Over time most and numerous people make big mistakes by asking for domain refund. This is never possible.

So to ask for web hosting refund, you need to know the following
1. You must have used the web hosting service and make a prove that you are not satisfied.
2. The host company could not resolve your issue irrespective of the no of times you have complained
3. You must have met with that host company refund policy

NOT TO GO TOO FAR, LETS TALK ABOUT THIS THREAD ISSUE.
I advice cash b4 website creation, because some clients could make regret ever going with web business
Re: Clients Now Playing The Fraud. Pls Read And Help Me. by nnamdiosu(m): 7:11pm On Feb 01, 2016
databoy247:

bro that idea you had is from the pit of hell. discard it fast. if you have a website online, with your company's name, plus a portfolifo of works you've done for others and maybe a physical address.... y shouldn't they believe you.
bottom line.
.better one client that pays than 400 who you do their site without paying.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Must Have Wordpress Plugins. / Adsense Earners, Is This Rpm Real? (Resolved) / Website And Blog Designer In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.