Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,800 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship (1386 Views)

Osinbajo Responds To Klint Da Drunk Who Gave Him N5000 (Video) / The Gift Jonathan Gave Obama In 2014 / Photo: The Vehicle That Claimed The Life Of Barack Obama's Father. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by makzeze: 10:30pm On Jul 23, 2015
Tom Mboya

The Kenyan trade unionist turned politician Tom Mboya, who studied at Ruskin College, Oxford, wanted members of his country's government to be adequately prepared for a post-colonial Kenya.
He recognised quite early on that there were not enough professional Africans to run an efficient civil service.
To make up the shortfall, he set up a scholarship fund that would take young bright Africans to the US and Canada.
The idea was for them to acquire the necessary skills and come back to help build a new country when the white civil servants packed up and returned to Europe.
One of those students was one Barack Obama from Kogelo, near the port city of Kisumu on the shores of Lake Victoria.

The Kenyan town where everything is Obama
Barack Obama Senior was the first African student to study at the University of Hawaii.
There he fell in love and married a young American woman, Ann Dunham. They had a son named after his father, Barack Hussein Obama II.

I travelled to Mr Obama's home in Kogelo where I met his step-grandmother Sarah Obama and aunt Marsat Onyango Obama to find out what the scholarship meant for the family at the time.

President Obama's step-grandmother, Mama Sarah, is among those looking forward to his Kenya visit
We stood in the family's small graveyard, next to the grave of Barack Obama Senior.
Ms Onyango told me that even though she had not yet been born when Mr Obama left, she knew that the family had been very proud of him.
"They said he carried their hopes and dreams."
Tom Mboya was assassinated in central Nairobi 1969 at the age of 38.
He was minister of economic development and planning but the motive for his killing remains a mystery.
He had achieved a lot for his young age - his intellectual prowess and eloquence meant that he could articulate his vision clearly to others.
As a sign of his global significance he had appeared on the cover of Time magazine, the first Kenyan to have done so.

Tom Mboya has made an impact on Kenya with many streets being named after him.

One of his daughters, Susan Mboya, who holds a PhD in chemistry, is an executive at Coca-Cola Africa based in Nairobi.
She also runs a scholarship programme, known as Zawadi, the Kiswahili word for gift, helping mainly young African women to study abroad.
In light of the excitement engulfing Kenya ahead of President Obama's visit this weekend, I asked what she thought of her father's initiative.

Susan Mboya: "I want to finish what my father started"
She replied in a quiet, confident voice: "My father could not have known that by helping one person to go to school, he was going to change the lives of so many people.
"Barack Obama has achieved a lot personally and it's great that he is the president of the United States.
"But I think the biggest benefit that Barack Obama has brought is how he has inspired young people all over the world… and to me that is the huge thing that has come out of the scholarships."
I asked her why she had followed in her father's footsteps by setting up her own programme.
"I want to finish what my father started but I want to finish it in a way that brings balance to the leadership in this country."

Thirsty man
The airlift scholarship also took the Kenyan newspaper columnist Philip Ochieng to America.
He studied a Bachelor of Arts in Literature at Chicago's Roosevelt University.
The 76-year-old knew Mr Obama Senior very well and recalls that he was clever.
He told me in Nairobi that they used to drink whisky together.
As he put it: "America watered my thirst for knowledge."

Source:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33629577

Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by M0GIDI: 10:31pm On Jul 23, 2015
Its a shame no one gave Buhari a scholarship to study, mind you, he may have rejected it to pursue a career in the military or cow rearing.

I'd pay Buhari's tuition if he ever decides to pursue academic qualification, I mean he won't wanna die an illiterate would he?

P:S
The Mogidi scholarship is open to all APC illiterates.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by jaytee01(m): 10:38pm On Jul 23, 2015
Interesting
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by kamair237(m): 10:39pm On Jul 23, 2015
OK....
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by coolestrogue(m): 10:39pm On Jul 23, 2015
Sai barcanistar
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 23, 2015
What I want to know is the name of the Doctor who did not stomp on that bastard when he was born.
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by Utchgirl(f): 10:51pm On Jul 23, 2015
M0GIDI:
Its a shame no one gave Buhari a scholarship to study, mind you, he may have rejected it to pursue a career in the military or cow rearing.

I'd pay Buhari's tuition if he ever decides to pursue academic qualification, I mean he won't wanna die an illiterate would he?

Hahahaha !

Some peeps prefer cattle rearing 2 western Education.Dts why d terror group BOKO HARAM is against d Western Education .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by powerfulsettingz: 10:52pm On Jul 23, 2015
Check the first poster above it seem he doesn't assimilate easily

Well Obama was a product of that offer give to his papa
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by M0GIDI: 10:54pm On Jul 23, 2015
Utchgirl:

Hahahaha !

Some peeps prefer cattle rearing 2 western Education.Dts why d terror group BOKO HARAM is against d Western Education .

They could be sent to Almajiri college to study cattle rearing, at least they'd be awarded "diploma" in cattle rearing (something Buhari doesn't have) grin grin
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by kilmix: 11:12pm On Jul 23, 2015
Hmm.

In whatever you do, do good.
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by Nobody: 2:05am On Jul 24, 2015
M0GIDI:

The way u reason and render insults on people here including your President shows that u need the scholarship + deliverance more than any one.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by Demmocrats(m): 2:21am On Jul 24, 2015
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by Demmocrats(m): 2:23am On Jul 24, 2015
makzeze:
Tom Mboya

The Kenyan trade unionist turned politician Tom Mboya, who studied at Ruskin College, Oxford, wanted members of his country's government to be adequately prepared for a post-colonial Kenya.
He recognised quite early on that there were not enough professional Africans to run an efficient civil service.
To make up the shortfall, he set up a scholarship fund that would take young bright Africans to the US and Canada.
The idea was for them to acquire the necessary skills and come back to help build a new country when the white civil servants packed up and returned to Europe.
One of those students was one Barack Obama from Kogelo, near the port city of Kisumu on the shores of Lake Victoria.

The Kenyan town where everything is Obama
Barack Obama Senior was the first African student to study at the University of Hawaii.
There he fell in love and married a young American woman, Ann Dunham. They had a son named after his father, Barack Hussein Obama II.

I travelled to Mr Obama's home in Kogelo where I met his step-grandmother Sarah Obama and aunt Marsat Onyango Obama to find out what the scholarship meant for the family at the time.

President Obama's step-grandmother, Mama Sarah, is among those looking forward to his Kenya visit
We stood in the family's small graveyard, next to the grave of Barack Obama Senior.
Ms Onyango told me that even though she had not yet been born when Mr Obama left, she knew that the family had been very proud of him.
"They said he carried their hopes and dreams."
Tom Mboya was assassinated in central Nairobi 1969 at the age of 38.
He was minister of economic development and planning but the motive for his killing remains a mystery.
He had achieved a lot for his young age - his intellectual prowess and eloquence meant that he could articulate his vision clearly to others.
As a sign of his global significance he had appeared on the cover of Time magazine, the first Kenyan to have done so.

Tom Mboya has made an impact on Kenya with many streets being named after him.

One of his daughters, Susan Mboya, who holds a PhD in chemistry, is an executive at Coca-Cola Africa based in Nairobi.
She also runs a scholarship programme, known as Zawadi, the Kiswahili word for gift, helping mainly young African women to study abroad.
In light of the excitement engulfing Kenya ahead of President Obama's visit this weekend, I asked what she thought of her father's initiative.

Susan Mboya: "I want to finish what my father started"
She replied in a quiet, confident voice: "My father could not have known that by helping one person to go to school, he was going to change the lives of so many people.
"Barack Obama has achieved a lot personally and it's great that he is the president of the United States.
"But I think the biggest benefit that Barack Obama has brought is how he has inspired young people all over the world… and to me that is the huge thing that has come out of the scholarships."
I asked her why she had followed in her father's footsteps by setting up her own programme.
"I want to finish what my father started but I want to finish it in a way that brings balance to the leadership in this country."

Thirsty man
The airlift scholarship also took the Kenyan newspaper columnist Philip Ochieng to America.
He studied a Bachelor of Arts in Literature at Chicago's Roosevelt University.
The 76-year-old knew Mr Obama Senior very well and recalls that he was clever.
He told me in Nairobi that they used to drink whisky together.
As he put it: "America watered my thirst for knowledge."

Source:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33629577

Op you didn't bother to upload the picture of the person that gave Obama's father scholarship.
www.
Re: Meet The Man Who Gave Obama's Father Scholarship by Utchgirl(f): 6:29am On Jul 24, 2015
M0GIDI:

They could be sent to Almajiri college to study cattle rearing, at least they'd be awarded "diploma" in cattle rearing (something Buhari doesn't have) grin grin

Hahahaha !

U r really funny !

D ' change chanters ' wil nt find dis funny ooo.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cut-off Marks For Entrance To Federal Secondary Schools / Whats The Secret Behind Barack Obama's Speech. / Boko Haram Now Using Cluster Bombs For Mass Attack,military Warns Nigerians(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.