Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,587 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:51 AM

Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides (800 Views)

Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings / Buhari Restricts Newspapers Supply In Aso Rock / Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides-the Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by kodedmag(m): 6:55am On Jul 24, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari has restricted
the use of aircraft in the presidential fleet by his
wife, Hajiya Aisha, and relations.
It was learnt that some members of the First
Family will now use commercial flight, unless it
becomes compelling for them to fly in
presidential aircraft.
Apart from saving cost, the President is said to
be determined to prevent abuse of the
presidential fleet.
To set example for others, the President made
sure that his wife and three children performed
Umrah (Lesser Hajj ) to Makkah through
Emirates Airline.
They also came back with the same airline.
Besides the tough measure on aircraft, the
President is yet to make up his mind on
whether or not his wife should be addressed as
the First Lady. Hajiya Aisha Buhari is known
and addressed as the “wife of the President”.
The President was worried by the security
reports on high cost of maintaining the
presidential aircraft and abuse by some highly-
placed Nigerians, The Nation learnt.
During the administration of President
Goodluck Jonathan, about N9.08billion was
spent yearly to maintain the 10 aircraft in the
Presidential Air Fleet (PAF).
The aircraft are two Falcon 7X jets, two Falcon
900 jets, Gulf stream 550, one Boeing 737 BBJ
(Nigerian Air Force 001 or Eagle One) and Gulf
Stream IVSP.
Others are one Gulf Stream V, Cessna Citation 2
aircraft and a Hawker Siddley 125-800 jet.
A source said: “President Buhari has adopted a
strict policy on the use of presidential aircraft in
order to save cost. His wife and relations have
been restricted from the use of the aircraft in
the presidential fleet.
“A situation where the aircraft were used
anyhow by some friends, associates of the
President during the administration of ex-
President Goodluck Jonathan can no longer be
applicable in this dispensation.
“For example, the wife of the President, Hajiya
Aisha Buhari and three children travelled for
lesser Hajj in Saudi Arabia on Emirates Airline.
“Buhari is determined to ensure the judicious
use of the presidential aircraft to save cost. He
is also setting a new template for governance.
Do not be surprised if you see the President
using commercial flights.”
Another source said: “Do you know that it costs
about N747 million to fuel the aircraft in the
presidential fleet per annum. President Buhari
said his administration cannot afford such a
luxury.”
“The US President, Barrack Obama uses only
two Boeing jets and one helicopter. So, Buhari
is determined to cut cost. In any case, he lives
an austere life. If he can ask his wife to fly a
commercial jet, then other public officers must
emulate his standard.”
It was not immediately clear if the President
will sell some of the aircraft in the Presidential
Air Fleet as being speculated.
The Senior Special Assistant on Media to the
President, Mallam Garba Shehu, on June 19,
said he was not aware of such a plan.
The President is yet to make up his mind on
whether or not his wife should be addressed as
the First Lady.
A source said: “I think the President does not
want the Office of the First Lady hijacked by
vested interests as the case between 2010 and
2015 when Jonathan was in charge.
“So far, Hajiya Aisha Buhari is known and
addressed as the ‘Wife of the President’.”
When contacted, the Senior Special Assistant
on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu,
said: “I didn’t ask the President why he let her
go on Emirates. But given the tone of his
leadership, I will, however, say with all
confidence that he is, by doing that, sending an
important message to the country.” thenationonlineng.net/buhari-restricts-use-of-presidential-aircraft-by-wife-aides/

1 Like

Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by kamair237(m): 6:57am On Jul 24, 2015
Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by Akkord4gov: 6:58am On Jul 24, 2015
I like this.A good move

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by themonk(m): 6:59am On Jul 24, 2015
why is this man always making ceremonial moves? is he a ceremonial president ?
what has moved forward or attempted to move forward since he became president, we are yet to see an effective plan or a physical movement. like pdp said i think it is "all motion and no movement".
stopping his wife and aides from using the plane, how those that effectively affect the sinking economy or how does it stop the terror in the northeast.
i hope buhari succeeds in taking this nation to the expected heights because his expediency is becoming questionable by the day. i dont play partisan politics, i just want a better nigeria.
Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by bidexmat(m): 6:59am On Jul 24, 2015
And so....
Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by Demmocrats(m): 7:00am On Jul 24, 2015
Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by Demmocrats(m): 7:01am On Jul 24, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:01am On Jul 24, 2015
God bless the President. This is unlike Jonathan whose wife was always travelling in a presidential jet. Any airport she landed in Nigeria, passengers would be put in an unnecessary restriction. Thank goodness her husband is no longer. I love this "one chance" Buhari put me.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by kuuljay(m): 7:03am On Jul 24, 2015
no more jamboree!!! buhari forever!!!!!!!!!?! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by Tolexander: 7:09am On Jul 24, 2015
Good!

All for the purpose of saving cost definitely will save the economy and the Nation.
Collections of little here and there bring about much accumulation.

During the election campaign, I saw only Buhari on the poster and not Buhari & Family. Why do we have to use the state fund to service their luxury?

Experiencing things like this will keep the president's family to their place and understand the boundary they shouldn't step beyond.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by themonk(m): 7:13am On Jul 24, 2015
Tolexander:
Good!

All for the purpose of saving cost definitely will save the economy and the Nation.
good policies save a nation, not childish stunts. disciplinary measures are good, only after you have made good policies, not using your childish stunts to cover your mistakes. people will be praising him without looking at the bigger picture which was why we voted him.
Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by seedgreen(m): 7:17am On Jul 24, 2015
Following
Re: Buhari Restricts Use Of Presidential Aircraft By Wife, Aides by itsmine: 8:14am On Jul 24, 2015
PMB is only trying to move us to dt level where governance in saner climes operate. era of paying exorbitantly just to see d wife or daughter of d president shd be over.

(1) (Reply)

Former Niger Delta Militants Of Ohaji Egbema And Oguta Council Areas Of Imo Stat / EFCC Arrests Two Bankers Over N3.6BN Fraud / Reno Omokri Breaks Silence, Wants “baby Factories” Allowed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.